Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Can't rehost the image for some reason, but the YJ one is here:

E: Motherfucker, meant to edit my last post.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

None of those links are working for me.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Same here.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
SA has a long feud with Image*shack, so don't expect their links to work here. Forum engine changes that name to something else.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, I can't even copy them or save them, so I'll reupload one of them and cut it out of a screenshot or something. Updated the link with an image now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmZZVSLHvc

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

The JSA Dire Foes model is up on Angel's Facebook page. Does anyone recognize this gun? Is it supposed to be a Combi rifle with a stun pistol fitted underneath or something? Trying to make sense of the Gui Feng options.

Edit: Might be a nanopulser, or I guess that "Yuriko" might have a special loadout, but that seems odd.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It's a Combi+E/Mitter.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Pierzak posted:

It's a Combi+E/Mitter.

Of course, I should have looked at the concept art images. :downs: It seems strange they'd give the Dire Foes equipment that isn't permissible for Spec Ops, although I guess it does allow them to include specific options without having to worry about needing to 'balance' them to work with other upgrade options.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Any advice for using a TAG well? I've just ordered a Marut and some Rebots to add to my Aleph army and am trying to work out the best way to use them. Not needing a hacker lets me take lots of Dakini/Garuda cheerleaders for it, and I'm presuming a Sophotect and Yudbot to keep it ticking would be a good investment.

Do you get the bits in the Rebot box to build two HMG/Full Reaction bots or do you have to build one with a missile pod? I presume it's quite possible to convert if so.

Currently I'm looking at this for my TAG list:

quote:

ALEPH
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 10 0 0

MARUT Lieutenant (Strategos L3) MULTI HMG, Heavy Flamethrower, Nanopulser / AP CCW. (3 | 122)
SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (31)
YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
NAGA Combi Rifle, Monofilament Mines / Pistol, Knife. (32)
ZAYIN Rebot HMG, Monofilament Mines / Electric Pulse. (1 | 34)
DAKINI Tacbot HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 22)
DAKINI Tacbot Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (13)
NETROD Electric Pulse. (4)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open with Army 4

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bob Smith posted:

Do you get the bits in the Rebot box to build two HMG/Full Reaction bots or do you have to build one with a missile pod? I presume it's quite possible to convert if so.
Nope, you get 1x reaction bot parts, 1x GML, 1x sensor and the repeater one which is usually the basic body with no attachments.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Man that list is a sad panda for losing Lt. Not as bad as some Nomad lists I've seen though. For TAGs, don't be reliant on TAG shocking people, it can go awry quickly, and when it does you tend to go down the shitter very fast. Keep your TAG supported at all times.

Also gently caress assembling that many Tacbots. Speaking of assembly, it occured to me yesterday out of all the Nomads I have left to build are the loving two-arms-conencted-at-wrist fuckers. This is going to be miserable.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Flipswitch posted:

Man that list is a sad panda for losing Lt. Not as bad as some Nomad lists I've seen though. For TAGs, don't be reliant on TAG shocking people, it can go awry quickly, and when it does you tend to go down the shitter very fast. Keep your TAG supported at all times.

Also gently caress assembling that many Tacbots. Speaking of assembly, it occured to me yesterday out of all the Nomads I have left to build are the loving two-arms-conencted-at-wrist fuckers. This is going to be miserable.

All the tacbots are built and painted. Including one converted HMG one using bits of an Eldar starcannon to make a kind of slightly phallic chaingun, which took a hell of a lot of swearing to build without superglue accelerator.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So a friend of mine just got me interested in this game, and I like the look of pano. I was wondering if playing military orders right off the bat is ok to start with, I like those models the most out of the whole faction. Also what models should I vet first to expand to 150 from the starter box?

Also if there are any infinity groups in the Seattle area that meet regularly, I'd love to see a few games in action.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I wouldn't recommend it but I started this game with Shasvastii so what do I know :v:

For 150, give the Magister a light shotgun (no one'll mind if you use the starter model), and get a spitfire Order Sergeant. That and another Order Sergeant will bump you up to 145. Now you can:
- make the spitfire dude an MSV2 Spec Sergeant and have 150 pt
- find an Auxbot (not the easiest thing) and make one of the combi dudes a synchronized Spec Sergeant
- leave them as is and link 5 order sergeants for that sweet +3 BS bonus (Spec Sergeants can't link)

Like this:

MILITARY ORDERS
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 7 0 1

TEUTONIC KNIGHT Lieutenant Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust / Pistol, AP CCW. (1 | 42)
MAGISTER KNIGHT Panzerfaust, Light Shotgun / Pistol, DA CCW. (31)
ORDER SERGEANT Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 20)
ORDER SERGEANT Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (13)

2 SWC | 145 Points

Open with Army 4

Also, remember that Military Orders have special restrictions on what you can take (Order/Confrere Knights). Basically you pick one of the knightly orders and get full AVA only for them, all other knights have common AVA of like 2? AVA tables in Paradiso army lists will tell you exactly what you can do, the green tick icon in the official builder will check for Order/Confrere Knights too IIRC.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

MO is fine to learn with. Pierzaks list is fine too if you're looking to change the box, but the box itself is also fine to learn with, if a bit less directly brutal. :)

Hoping to get the OP finished today guys as it's my first day off in forever. My store got the Iguana in today too, and I was a bit surprised to see it was £40, there IS a lot metal in that box too.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've been considering this for a while as an MO beginning:

Panoceania - Military Order | 7 models

Teutonic Knight Spitfire (46|2)
Teutonic Knight Lieutenant (42|1)
Teutonic Knight Combi (42|0)
Magister Knight Shotgun (31|0)
Order Sergeant Combi (13|0)

200/200 points | 3/4 swc
open with Aleph Toolbox : http://goo.gl/FIH6zf

What can I say? I like Teutonic Knights. This would be the starter plus two blisters of Tutons, which makes for a total of three different Teutonic Knight sculpts.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I've ordered a bunch of minis and Tuesday next week I'm getting together with a buddy for a first learning game. I'm providing two 150pt armies and I'm trying to keep it fairly simple as far as special rules, etc... How do these lists look for a matchup:

Panoceania - Military Order | 6 models

Teutonic Knight Lieutenant (42|1)
Order Sergeant MSV2 Spitfire (25|1.5)
Santiago Combi (44|0)

150/150 points | 2.5/3 swc
open with Aleph Toolbox : direct link

** VERSUS **

Haqqislam | 6 models

Ghulam Lieutenant (13|0)
Ghulam Doctor (17|0)
Ghulam Rifle (13|0)
Janissary AP Rifle (45|0)
Lasiq Viral (26|0)
Djanbazan HMG (36|1.5)

150/150 points | 1.5/3 swc
open with Aleph Toolbox : direct link

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Played my first two games earlier. I was running the CA starter minus Malignos because his Haqq sectorial starter was only 139pts. Both games I slaughtered him rather soundly. I rolled a lot of lucky crits which apparently just auto kill whoever gets hit by them. I do have a few noob questions because with all the rulebook flipping we did, I'm sure we hosed something up.

Are models limited by the number of AROs they can do in one enemy turn? We didn't, but that made some well-placed snipers just gods of the field everytime someone twitched.

AROs can be performed at the beginning or end of a short skill, and then again at the beginning or end of another short skill that the same model is using?

So if Billy the Morat activates and declares a short move, the opponent can fire at him if their model has LoF before or after the move? And then if Billy wants to move again, he is at risk of getting popped further in the same Order?

I feel like we did some of that wrong...

Charontids are ridiculously powerful in a starter v starter game. I tried not to totally Rambo him, but goddamn that plasma rifle is nice. Speaking of which:

With plasma, as long as you hit the primary target, the targets that get stuck under the template after are auto-hit right?

The revised rulebook is a lot easier to read than the original, but at the same time we tried not to spend every second poring over the rules. Going to play again tomorrow and possibly on Saturday so we'd like to make sure we're doing everything right.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Are models limited by the number of AROs they can do in one enemy turn? We didn't, but that made some well-placed snipers just gods of the field everytime someone twitched.
No, not limited. That's why you don't place sniper towers in DZ.

quote:

AROs can be performed at the beginning or end of a short skill, and then again at the beginning or end of another short skill that the same model is using?

So if Billy the Morat activates and declares a short move, the opponent can fire at him if their model has LoF before or after the move? And then if Billy wants to move again, he is at risk of getting popped further in the same Order?
No, the sequence is:

- Active: declare first short skill (or the long skill)
- Reactive: declare all AROs that can see the active model (if it's a camo/other marker you can delay that until the second skill but 1. you have to declare a delay and 2. if he doesn't reveal in the second skill the delayed ARO is wasted)
- Active: declare second short skill
- Reactive: declare all AROs caused by the second skill ONLY (i.e. if it's a move then all those who haven't seen the active model after the first short skill but can see them after the second get an ARO; if it's a marker then if he reveals the delays can ARO)
- Both: execute skills and AROs. You can say exactly when you're doing it (so you're moving from cover to cover, I'll shoot you right when you are between them and have no cover), but everything gets resolved simultaneously anyway, hence FTFs. If someone shoots a guy placing a mine, it's a normal roll to shoot but the mine will get placed anyway and appears at the end of order.

quote:

Charontids are ridiculously powerful in a starter v starter game. I tried not to totally Rambo him, but goddamn that plasma rifle is nice. Speaking of which:

With plasma, as long as you hit the primary target, the targets that get stuck under the template after are auto-hit right?
Yep, Charontids are horrible powerhouses. Make the other team get an HMG or a Panzerfaust in a link, it should help (until you learn how to use smoke+MSV; Djanbazan HMG would help here)

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys, I look forward to my first game. I do have one more question. Are there any models in MO or pano that I should avoid?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Awww carp double post.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Elblanco posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I look forward to my first game. I do have one more question. Are there any models in MO or pano that I should avoid?
Squalo. Not because it's bad but it's ugly and getting a resculpt soon. There are no particular stinkers in PanO.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Ah, so shooting AROs are resolved BEFORE the model would move? Can you explain how you would shoot me as I go from cover to cover? I'm still a little fuzzy on the timing aspect of this game (ie probably one of the biggest aspects of it :downs:)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ah, so shooting AROs are resolved BEFORE the model would move? Can you explain how you would shoot me as I go from cover to cover? I'm still a little fuzzy on the timing aspect of this game (ie probably one of the biggest aspects of it :downs:)
It looks like this:

There is a wall with an open doorway in it, say 40mm wide. Fusilier Angus is hidden (full cover) behind one of the sides. He wants to move to the other side. Line Kazak Vanya is watching the doorway from the other side.

Angus: First skill, Move here into partial cover on the other side, facing this way *measures, traces the path, points at destination*
Vanya: ARO, Shoot.
Angus: Welp, I guess I'll respond then. Second skill, Shoot. Good thing I'm in cover.
Vanya: No you aren't, I'm gonna shoot you when you're right HERE *points exactly in the middle of the doorway*

*FTF roll ensues, Angus does not have cover*

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Sorry to continue this noobchat, but if Angus survives, would he then finish moving to his original destination?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Sorry to continue this noobchat, but if Angus survives, would he then finish moving to his original destination?
He will end in his stated destination in any case, even if he gets shot unconscious.

An exception would be a reactive Dodge (remember that Dodge in active turn doesn't give extra movement), if you fail the Dodge roll you stay in place.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I just noticed something about the MO - of the 'prominent' historical ones, the Templars appear to be missing, yet there are Templar CCW available. Are they mentioned in the other books (I only got the core 2nd Ed book for now)?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Weissritter posted:

I just noticed something about the MO - of the 'prominent' historical ones, the Templars appear to be missing, yet there are Templar CCW available. Are they mentioned in the other books (I only got the core 2nd Ed book for now)?
Yes, the Templars were found guilty of AI research and purged. The 2 Templar CCWs we know of do contain independent AIs, which makes them highly illegal (De Fersen is an ex-Templar, and McMurrough got his as a mysterious gift).

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Yes, the Templars were found guilty of AI research and purged. The 2 Templar CCWs we know of do contain independent AIs, which makes them highly illegal (De Fersen is an ex-Templar, and McMurrough got his as a mysterious gift).

Purged again? Man, the historical parallels. Is this mentioned in Human Sphere or Paradiso? I hope it is the latter, the former is out of stock the last time I checked their store page.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Human Sphere deals with basic sectorial fluff, Paradiso is mostly tidbits about the factions' history and life. So, Human Sphere.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Were the Templars actually guilty though? Human Sphere reads like they were set up by Aleph/the Hospitallers and got wiped out because of their technological and financial influence but then in Paradiso, McMurrough finds out that his mysterious Templar made weapon actually houses an AI. Where does De Fersen use an AI?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

De Fersen doesn't, the order did why was why they got purged. De Fersen was spared and transferred because of his combat record and because of lack of evidence to connect him to the AI side of the order.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Well just played a game tonight where I got absolutely savaged by some Aleph sniper that was basically automatically hitting with an aimbot and a four man Myrmidon link team.

Is there really any advantage to going/setting up first? He was able to basically plonk that sniper in a position that had full coverage of my dudes when they left their initial cover, and the only thing I could do was burn a bunch of orders moving prone until he flanked me with his linked team.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not trying to sound clever buddy, but if a sniper can spot your entire force (or even half of it) from one point, your terrain is hosed and the table is the fault.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

It was partly due to my terrible deployment. The terrain was elevated in the deployment zones and then dropped down into a lower middle part that just had crates scattered everywhere.
It was set up pretty haphazardly though, so yeah, didn't really help. Last time I played the guy setting up the terrain painstakingly arranged it so there was no possible way to see from one deployment zone to another, which I guess is more how it should be done.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, you need a lot of large LOS blocking pieces in the table, avoid elevated platforms in the DZ if at all possible and if you can't, ensure that there are enough larger LOS pieces in the center to block LOS to large portions of the board.

Don't feel bad about it though, terrain setting in Infinity is actually quite difficult to get right and takes a bit to learn.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is it often better to have a low-model count list full of beatsticks, or a lot of Orders with weaker troops? I'm working on some 150pt lists and realized that most of my purchases up to this point have been very expensive pt-wise (except for the Ikadron and Imetron, which require an expensive EI construct to be the boss).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is it often better to have a low-model count list full of beatsticks, or a lot of Orders with weaker troops? I'm working on some 150pt lists and realized that most of my purchases up to this point have been very expensive pt-wise (except for the Ikadron and Imetron, which require an expensive EI construct to be the boss).

You can't do anything without orders, so it is very common to have a bunch of low cost troops to give you a decent orders pool to make your badass troops more effective. Not an absolute rule, but a very common occurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

an expensive EI construct to be the boss
Fixed. And Imetrons do not require anything but are poo poo.

• Locked thread