Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
Didn't see anyone else post it but this was on the bottom of the RPS article:

quote:

- the belated inclusion of multiple spoken languages for soldiers makes a huge difference. Having chatter in French, Spanish, Italian, Polish and Russian makes the XCOM project seem international at last, as opposed to the cheesy ‘merican action hero noise of before.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Total Biscuit did his his usual faffing about though. He's got 3 MEC troopers and several gene mods, but he hasn't researched the arc thrower yet. Maybe it's just my powergaming side going all optimization! :byodood: But I hate seeing him trash talk sectoid autopsies when he's wasted research time by getting all the laser techs without the sectoid interrogation credit.

Also if I'm going gene mods I'll probably secure south America as my very first priority.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

vulgey posted:

Didn't see anyone else post it but this was on the bottom of the RPS article:

:allears:

PCGamer UK mentioned this in an article a while ago, though I'm not sure it's online. The guy went into great detail about the Spanish chatter and cursing his assault class did!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Since you can change their nationalities ingame, I'm going to try either making all of them French to feel like I'm in a French scifi comic or film. Or Japanese for anime. Italian, German, and Russian for similar reasons.

Is there British accent for UK characters though?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Eh, I don't see a big problem with skipping over the arc thrower and going straight for lasers. Getting them online for the first terror mission can be pretty big. Plus, not having to spend $85 for containment can be big in the first month if you are optimizing to get three more satellites up.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Lasers make a huge difference, yeah.

Also, I'm always reluctant to upgrade from laser shotgun because of the concept of a LASER SHOTGUN.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Eh, I don't see a big problem with skipping over the arc thrower and going straight for lasers. Getting them online for the first terror mission can be pretty big. Plus, not having to spend $85 for containment can be big in the first month if you are optimizing to get three more satellites up.

He was in June though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Spacedad posted:

I say, the blighter's still up!

The poor bastard's gone.

Do come along with us now, there's a good fellow.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Spacedad posted:

Since you can change their nationalities ingame, I'm going to try either making all of them French to feel like I'm in a French scifi comic or film. Or Japanese for anime. Italian, German, and Russian for similar reasons.

Wait, nationality is now something that can be changed? Or are we just talking the language they use? If I can manually select how diverse my team is instead of getting saddled with a bunch of Americans through the RNG, that would be absolutely amazing.

Spacedad posted:

I'm guessing not, sadly. As far as I'm aware, the game seems to just "dip" into different localization versions for voice-acting (French voices actually come from the French version of the game, etc.), and doesn't change accents in the slightest. That would be completely awesome if it did, though. :allears:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

The poor bastard's gone.

I'm really a bit surprised that they didn't make new voices for australian and english accents at the very least. Maybe because of international voices, they will now due to fan demand for a DLC, patch, or expansion.

For maximum 'District 9' effect, I'd love me some Zef alien-fighting soldiers.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 24, 2013

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

The poor bastard's gone.

drat you!!! Now I NEED this.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Pretty sure I saw an interview with Ananda where he said that it was still 'Merca accents only for other English speaking nations. If I had my way, taking on a Manchester mission with an all British squad would result in an extensive territorial slanging match between your soldiers.

"Put tha' bloody Latte down and just take the shot yah soft southern bastard"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fwoderwick posted:

Pretty sure I saw an interview with Ananda where he said that it was still 'Merca accents only for other English speaking nations. If I had my way, taking on a Manchester mission with an all British squad would result in an extensive territorial slanging match between your soldiers.

"Put tha' Latte down and just take the shot yah soft southern bastard"

I would pay :10bux: for this DLC, even if it's only British voices. Maybe throw in an angry Scotsman for flavour.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

What this game really needs is steam workshop capability for fan mods so they can create their own voice packs.

Also so we can have a Doctor Who mod. :v:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
In some interview they mentioned to make modding a bit more accessible with Enemy Within. So maybe we get a Groundskeeper Willie mod for accents.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

"If there was only some way we could have prevented this situation."

Perhaps if my Heavy hadn't fired his rocket at my assault, rather than the two injured Thin Men murdering everything in sight, the situation wouldn't have happened in the first place. :mad:

Man, just to clarify. It was the big graveyard and a bomb mission. We were doing well - my assault was running around switching things off, while the rest of his squad kept the sectoids tied up in the central area. My heavy was moving into position near the bomb to counter the inevitable drop of Thin Men. Bam! A lucky crit kills one of my center dudes. No major worries, I can recover. Bomb gets switched off, Thin Men drop in, assault kills one of them via Overwatch. My Heavy takes aim at the two remaining ones...

Boom! Rocket fires off-centre and hits the assault dead-on, leaving the Thin Men completely untouched. Next turn my assault tries to kill one of them but falls short by one HP and is then killed, the healthier Thin Man somehow missing his shot. Second death of the mission. Sectoids take advantage and all gang up on the central survivor killing him. My Heavy gets mobbed by the Thin Men. Squad wipe, mission failed.

gently caress you aliens. I have laser weapons now though, just wait until round two.

e; ahahaha, splashed a UFO and right out the gate I trigger a group of Thin Men and Floaters (whose appearance I assume has been bumped up due to the development of my lasers). Lost one of my rookies straight out and now it's my single laser rifle Rookie, my only B-team survivor (sniper) and another rookie nervously mopping up around the entire map. Gonna come back later I'm shaking way too much. :v:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 24, 2013

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems less like an interesting strategic decision and more of a "just get as many MECs as you can afford and make the rest of your squad gene modded" thing. That's honestly pretty boring.

Except that MECs and GeneMods are mutually exclusive because of Meld costs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, I didn't watch TB yet. A 6 HP cap seems a bit weak, did they mention if the Regen bone marrow genemod has the same limit?

Bone Marrow regens 2HP per turn, up to max non-armor-HP.
So it only regenerates HP to a certain point but the total amount you can regen per mission is unlimited.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Except that MECs and GeneMods are mutually exclusive because of Meld costs.

Depends, a MEC suit costs 25 or 35 meld and making a soldier into a MEC trooper costs 15. From TB's video I saw that most of the gene mods cost 10 so that's 50 for a full set which is in line with MEC's. He had three MEC's and at least 2 gene modded dudes so it looks like you can actually do it well enough. Plus MEC's are way more durable than soft, squishy soldiers. So if you invest 50 meld into one MEC trooper and take good care of him, you can concieveably have him available through the whole game.

Edit: And I think that if a MEC gets killed on a mission, you get to keep the suit but lose the soldier. So MEC suits are a big upfront cost for a longterm benefit.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 24, 2013

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

So it only regenerates HP to a certain point but the total amount you can regen per mission is unlimited.

It's basically a free medkit that you don't have to burn a turn/turns to use.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

AirborneNinja posted:

It's basically a free medkit that you don't have to burn a turn/turns to use.
Does it apply to the armour portion of the healthbar though? I imagine if it only applied to the base health it'd be much less useful.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

zylche posted:

Does it apply to the armour portion of the healthbar though? I imagine if it only applied to the base health it'd be much less useful.

Didn't you bother to read the quote?

Jack Trades posted:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
So wait, then what are we repairing with that medkit on a gene modded soldier? :tinfoil:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

So wait, then what are we repairing with that medkit on a gene modded soldier? :tinfoil:

Armor...maybe...? Considering that you can heal/repair MECs with Medkits as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I have to say, that Bone Marrow upgrade seems a bit underwhelming. Even after it's patched you up as much as it can, you're still in one-shot range of a lot of nasties.

The MEC version seems much more useful (being basically an extra 6 health).

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

^ Perhaps it heals up soldiers who's bleeding out? That would make it handy, esp. on the sole support in your team :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jabor posted:

I have to say, that Bone Marrow upgrade seems a bit underwhelming. Even after it's patched you up as much as it can, you're still in one-shot range of a lot of nasties.

The MEC version seems much more useful (being basically an extra 6 health).
Compared with jumpylegs, though? I'm already going to be using skeleton suits and ghost armor as much as possible, so getting that extra mobility isn't a top priority. Bone Marrow also reduces the out-of-combat healing time by 66%, so if you're on the back foot it lets you keep your A-team going for a lot longer.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Your base HP does get better with rank, though. So at Colonel you're healing up to like 9-10 HP rather than 6.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Is it common knowledge that if you rocket/grenade/explode corpses after they're bitten by Chryssalids it stops them from turning? This has been consistently saving me on Impossible terror missions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, I didn't watch TB yet. A 6 HP cap seems a bit weak, did they mention if the Regen bone marrow genemod has the same limit?

The MEC ability seems to trigger regardless of HP level, while the genemod can only bring you back up to the health you have without armor. So one can only trigger so many times while the other cannot bring you back to high health.

edit: Ah, beaten.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

fennesz posted:

Is it common knowledge that if you rocket/grenade/explode corpses after they're bitten by Chryssalids it stops them from turning? This has been consistently saving me on Impossible terror missions.

Oh, cool. Suddenly the ethics of killing live civilians is no longer an issue.

e; poo poo. Though I've made something of a recovery and gotten back up to about twelve soldiers with four laser weapons between them, Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential have put some nasty habits in me. I've put soldiers into situations that my "old" squaddies could have easily handled and gotten them killed. This has eaten into my income as a result - the cost of replacements is burning what I SHOULD be spending on extra squad slots and satellite construction.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 24, 2013

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
The multiple language packs are cool but it's gonna make the lack of Asian languages stick out pretty sorely. Swahili would be awesome as well but it wasn't really fair to expect.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Space Hamlet posted:

The multiple language packs are cool but it's gonna make the lack of Asian languages stick out pretty sorely. Swahili would be awesome as well but it wasn't really fair to expect.
While its not a great option especially with the pretty cool language pack, it'd be nice if I could at least use Zhang's voicepack too.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Space Hamlet posted:

I'd be in love with Firaxis forever if they opened up the voicepacks to modification so we could add in missing/comedy options. Hearing my rookies say "Zug zug" as I moved them around would be hilarious.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Ravenfood posted:

While its not a great option especially with the pretty cool language pack, it'd be nice if I could at least use Zhang's voicepack too.

But then he wouldn't be a beautiful and unique snowflake who stands out with his brilliant characterization!

"I'm covering that area."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I cannot wait to reward my first Heavy-turned-MEC trooper the Adam Jenson I Didn't Ask For This medal.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

But then he wouldn't be a beautiful and unique snowflake who stands out with his brilliant characterization!

"I'm covering that area."

Zhang and Annette get married in the end of Progeny and their son is the next leader of the XCOM Project

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

(Classic Ironman) Realizing I don't need to rush through the storyline and I can take my time establishing satellite coverage and an economy has made the game A LOT more manageable. Like holy poo poo I'm close to finishing month 3 I think and I've yet to lose a nation, my satellite coverage will be close to complete once my nexus is up and aside from a couple of unfortunate casualties, I have a varied selection of not lovely soldiers. I mean sure the entire world is in the verge of panic and one failure will cascade it all to hell but it's all about that fine line.

I've basically learn that offense will get you killed. Now I move no further than a dash and always overwatch my sniper/heavies before I uncover new ground then immediately fall back whenever I encounter an enemy and make them to me rather than trying to move to them.

I did lose my best Assault guy to RNG and 3 rookies when the lead of my B team was gravely wounded and missed a mission leaving my weaker D team to fend for themselves.

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel
I feel like 6 people all speaking in different languages would make a tactical combat operation really confusing. I'd def use it but the idea of the tower of babel squad is funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Andre Banzai posted:

Zhang and Annette get married in the end of Progeny and their son is the next leader of the XCOM Project

That reminds me. One the UFOpaedia Enemy Within page, it suggested that turning on Slingshot and Progeny would be check box options for starting the game like Iron Man and "Shut Up Dr. Vahlen!" modes. Does that mean that you can do both Progeny and Slingshot in one playthrough?

• Locked thread