Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJ2kzNwoSw

René Redzepi, head chef at Noma, talks about the lessons learned after implementing a world class coffee program at his two-Michelin star restaurant. A choice quote: "Messing with peoples coffee is some of the most hosed up, crazy things we've ever done. It's insane. What type of people are you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
The current peaberry El Salvador I'm drinking from Coava has a wonderful peanut-buttery flavor. It's sort of earthy in the best way and delicious with my breakfast. I love it.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I woke up this morning and found we are outta coffee and it's really early so nothing is open yet :(

In better news, I will be receiving my Technivorm as a birthday present in a weeks time.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I'm considering getting a setup going at my office desk so I can stop slumming it with Tassimo discs. Has anyone used a moka pot with a hot plate? I have access to hot water from various sources at the office so I don't need a dedicated kettle.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I'm considering getting a setup going at my office desk so I can stop slumming it with Tassimo discs. Has anyone used a moka pot with a hot plate? I have access to hot water from various sources at the office so I don't need a dedicated kettle.

If you have access to hot water just bring a clever dripper or french press in, clever will have easier clean up. A moka pot won't make very nice coffee anyway

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Smiley Face posted:

If you have access to hot water just bring a clever dripper or french press in, clever will have easier clean up. A moka pot won't make very nice coffee anyway

I use an electric teapot and aeropress at work myself. Nice little lidded trash can for the grounds and a roll of paper towels is all I need.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I picked up a glass-handled Chemex. I like carrying around my little jug of coffee around the house in the morning now.

I have a basic Salter food scale that likes to shut itself off after about a minute unless I paw at it. Does anybody have that Hario scale with a timer in it, and if so do you like it?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

marmot25 posted:

I picked up a glass-handled Chemex. I like carrying around my little jug of coffee around the house in the morning now.

I have a basic Salter food scale that likes to shut itself off after about a minute unless I paw at it. Does anybody have that Hario scale with a timer in it, and if so do you like it?

It's okay. I mean, it's probably the best widely-available timer+scale combo for your $$, but the buttons have no tactile or audible feedback, the screen is small, and the timer and scale readouts both look the same. It's fine for making your morning coffee, but if you're going to be using it a ton it would probably be frustrating. But all scales suck, and at least this one has a timer built in, so you could definitely do worse.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

There is no reason to buy a timer unless you're still carrying a flip phone around. Even then a digital timer is what, $5? The Hario adds no utility for the price.

Just get a cheap basic scale. I've used this one for a couple of years with no issues.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Loucks posted:

There is no reason to buy a timer unless you're still carrying a flip phone around. Even then a digital timer is what, $5? The Hario adds no utility for the price.

Just get a cheap basic scale. I've used this one for a couple of years with no issues.

This shuts off after 60 seconds, though. I'd prefer one that stays on longer while pouring in water, especially if I turn my back on it for a min to tend to some eggs or something in the morning. I'd also rather not deal with my iPhone while trying to make coffee, but you're right I could just get a digital timer that lives next to my coffee setup. I already have a basic scale.

\/\/
I was just going on what the Amazon comments said.

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 24, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The one loucks posted does not shut off after 60 seconds. I've used it to brew large Chemex batches for multiple people. If something is resting on it I'm sure it can go over 5 minutes.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

marmot25 posted:

This shuts off after 60 seconds, though. I'd prefer one that stays on longer while pouring in water, especially if I turn my back on it for a min to tend to some eggs or something in the morning. I'd also rather not deal with my iPhone while trying to make coffee, but you're right I could just get a digital timer that lives next to my coffee setup. I already have a basic scale.

\/\/

I honestly don't know how long it stays on because I don't try to multi-task while making coffee. I'd test it, but I'm not at home.

It's your money to spend as you like obviously. I think your reasons to spend more on a gimmick scale are silly, but then we're in the coffee nerd thread. Last night I haggled over the price of a used bread machine because I want to use it to roast coffee, and that's certainly a suboptimal expense.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

marmot25 posted:

\/\/

I have that one too and haven't had trouble with it shutting off too quickly. Definitely more than 60 seconds.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Interesting new coffee shop with super clean design opened here a few days ago. They modified the espresso machines to fit underneath the counter, and they use a foot pedal to activate the steaming wand. Other cafe counter tops look so crowded in comparison. I planned on buying some of their beans but from what I've read it's roasted by Ritual, so it's pretty much going to be the same stuff in different packaging right?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 25, 2013

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

More pics/some story on that here http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/first-look-saint-frank-coffee-in-san-francisco/

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Mu Zeta posted:

I planned on buying some of their beans but from what I've read it's roasted by Ritual, so it's pretty much going to be the same stuff in different packaging right?

The Honduras Las Nieves rules -- one of my favorite coffees I've had this year.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That looks cool and all, but that is an ergonomics nightmare.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Making coffee at work would be so much more awesome if I had an espresso machine built into my desk.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

rockcity posted:

That looks cool and all, but that is an ergonomics nightmare.

It also looks like it would be a hassle to clean.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

I'm waiting for the first hot steam crotchal injury of an employee. Mark my words putting steam wands that close to your gonads is poor planning.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

o muerte posted:

I'm waiting for the first hot steam crotchal injury of an employee. Mark my words putting steam wands that close to your gonads is poor planning.

That was one of the running gags in a recent episode of 2 Broke Girls.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Get ready for some shots of organic milky goodness.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I'd like to triple the sentiment for the clever dripper. It's great.

If you brew at home
the kleencanteen holds temps really well. I've brewed my coffee and poured it in only to open an hour later and it taste as fresh brewed when I made it and hot.

If you want ultra lazy maybe consider cold brewing. I've brewed up a week supply at a time. It's dead simple to do. I also do this if my bag is getting old (3 weeks) to extend the life a little.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If anyone tried to take my CCD away from me I would do a physical harm to them.

P.S. get Filtropa filters to use with it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Google Butt posted:

If anyone tried to take my CCD away from me I would do a physical harm to them.

P.S. get Filtropa filters to use with it.

Buy another, it's 20 bucks.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll brew more at home once I can afford an espresso machine that doesn't suck. That may come after I move next year. We'll see!

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The shop near me in philadelpha called ultimo does guest roasters each month. It's only one of a roasters offering but I like that they do it. Last was month was verve and this month is four barrel.

Does anyone's shop do this?

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
OK so I have a decent amount of cash coming in. I would like to know if I should upgrade from the Behmor to the Gene Cafe or not. I roast for home/office use so that should be important. Or should I spend the money and upgrade from my Rocky?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just wanted say thanks to this thread. I picked up a Kyocera hand crank burr grinder and the Zojirushi drip machine/gold filter from the OP then went out and bought around 1/4lb of a bunch of different good local coffees.

Absolutely worlds better than the coffee I had been making previously. I grew up with my dad's coffee, which was usually a good bean, but blade ground into powder, then run through a 20+ year old drip maker than didn't get very hot. This is how I have been doing it all my life because I didn't know any better (I even inherited the coffee maker from my dad when I went to college).

I pretty much always thought that I didn't particularly like coffee, and was just drinking it for the caffeine/cheapness compared to energy drinks. After brewing a good Ethiopian with the new setup, I know how wrong I was. Goddamn tasty. I used to use a bunch of sugar and cream to make my coffee palatable, but now I am using just a teaspoon of sugar, and a small splash of 2% milk. The coffee itself actually tastes GOOD on its own! :aaaa:

I actually really like the very slight murkiness/thickness from using a gold filter instead of paper, and I actually love the hand crank grinder. The ritual of it is really comforting, and actually helps start the waking up process in the morning.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The ritual of the manual grind gets old really fast :)

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
To offer a corollary: I've had my manual grinder for nearly a year now and it hasn't gotten old yet.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The ritual of the manual grind gets old really fast :)

This is why I have like 3 different electric grinders in my amazon cart that I haven't decided between/if its worth dropping money on. That extra minute in the morning should be MINE.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Featured Creature posted:

OK so I have a decent amount of cash coming in. I would like to know if I should upgrade from the Behmor to the Gene Cafe or not. I roast for home/office use so that should be important. Or should I spend the money and upgrade from my Rocky?

I dont see the Gene Cafe as an upgrade from the Behmor, just mo money. I'd upgrade the Rocky.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nephzinho posted:

This is why I have like 3 different electric grinders in my amazon cart that I haven't decided between/if its worth dropping money on. That extra minute in the morning should be MINE.

Are you just doing drip coffee or espresso as well? I just do drip at home and the Baratza Encore $129 has done very well. Pretty easy to clean and maintain too.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
Just upgraded my setup, which was previously a great french press + an aeropress, with a chemex. I know lots of people prefer the Hario V60 for letting more flavors through, but I was really looking for a smooth taste (since I love the aeropress too), which is what the chemex does just great. Also my coffee gear is on a table where everything is visible and the V60 (any version) is a loving eyesore.
Love the thing to bits, only downside has been my severe overcaffeination since I got it as I own the 6-cup model and always brew at least 4 cups...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you just doing drip coffee or espresso as well? I just do drip at home and the Baratza Encore $129 has done very well. Pretty easy to clean and maintain too.

I have a moka pot, aeropress, and french press that I cycle between based on the coffee/my mood/laziness for my morning and lunch cups. Also break out the drip for when I have company or any situation where I need to make more than 1 cup at a time. I'm eyeballing http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Virtuoso-Coffee-Grinder-586/dp/B006MLQHRG/ currently but don't plan on getting anything without comment from an owner in the thread -- $200-250 is the price range I'm looking in for something reliable and versatile.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Baratza Virtuosos, how often does Baratza have their refurb sale?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nephzinho posted:

I have a moka pot, aeropress, and french press that I cycle between based on the coffee/my mood/laziness for my morning and lunch cups. Also break out the drip for when I have company or any situation where I need to make more than 1 cup at a time. I'm eyeballing http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Virtuoso-Coffee-Grinder-586/dp/B006MLQHRG/ currently but don't plan on getting anything without comment from an owner in the thread -- $200-250 is the price range I'm looking in for something reliable and versatile.

That's one I see shops use often. Check out the encore by baratza. It's under 200. Lots of people have bought it in the thread. Including myself.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of Baratza Virtuosos, how often does Baratza have their refurb sale?

They update the refurb stock every Thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Don't discount the Breville Smart Grinder at around $200 either. I wavered between that and a Virtuoso. I picked one up earlier this year to upgrade from my Capresso Infinity and I'm quite satisfied. I will note that at the coarsest grind, it's juuuuust coarse enough to do french press. They started shimming it about a year ago so that it would grind finer to accomodate for espresso machines that required a super fine grind. It goes down to well finer than I need for my machine. You can also set your doses on it as well and I find it does a pretty good job of being consistent with that, enough so that I don't measure anymore, I just know how to set it for my various brew methods and volumes.