Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

On-call phone rang at 10:18 last night during the world series game. I work for a Boston-area company, so whomever is calling me right now is a dick.

The same person who called me on my last on-call shift is having problems with her phone, again. Can't send or receive emails, no error messages.

After about 10 minutes she realized she left airplane mode turned on. Okay, all set, good night.

Pressed end call and immediately started bitching to my wife. "This goddamn woman, yadda yadda." Turned and looked at the phone, saw the call was still open. It terminated a few seconds later.

Whoops.

Hey look at the bright side, you probably wont have to work during the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Migishu posted:

Don't see why we can't have the Grenade with the needful on it. That would make more sense to me.

Both sides can be engraved/printed. It could have "needful" on top and a grenade on the bottom.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

"Please do the needful" should be engraved in an arc around the grenade.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

AlexDeGruven posted:

If I lent my car to a coworker and they saw that on a bottle opener on my keys, they'd probably think I'm planning to shoot up the place, and start keeping their distance from me.

....So yeah, I second this idea.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

I also support this idea, or at least some way to possibly get both on the flash drive. I'm assuming the "back side" is the metal for the bottle opener? (I forgot/haven't looked at it in a while).

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

A few hours into it, here's the horrifyingly high contrast orders so far:

Perhaps you should make a thread for this? I don't keep up with this thread and had to dig back through your post history, then your posts in this thread to find a picture of what you're even talking about. Having found it, I'm in.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bhodi posted:

A webex came in... and the Irish technical presenter had this in his search bar the entire time.

It had to have been a joke, but he never even mentioned it. No one else did, either.
Coincidentally last night a friend was trying to convince me that a large number of Irish people genuinely believe in fairies, like Koreans and fan-death. If I remember correctly the Irish ones are supposed to haunt forests and be violent, but we were drinking doing the needful.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AlexDeGruven posted:

Where are the graphic design people when you need them???

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MisterOblivious posted:

Both sides can be engraved/printed. It could have "needful" on top and a grenade on the bottom.

This solves everything, surely.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Moey posted:

Where are the graphic design people when you need them???

Nice try, no one needs them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

teethgrinder posted:

Coincidentally last night a friend was trying to convince me that a large number of Irish people genuinely believe in fairies, like Koreans and fan-death. If I remember correctly the Irish ones are supposed to haunt forests and be violent, but we were drinking doing the needful.

Icelandic people are big on their fantastical beings too.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

If I lent my car to a coworker and they saw that on a bottle opener on my keys, they'd probably think I'm planning to shoot up the place, and start keeping their distance from me.

Wait, you don't detach your car keys from the rest of your keyring when lending your car?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Erwin posted:

Perhaps you should make a thread for this? I don't keep up with this thread and had to dig back through your post history, then your posts in this thread to find a picture of what you're even talking about. Having found it, I'm in.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576580

Aite. Thread made. Arguing about bottle openers can happen there. OP will be updated with current design choice splits.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lum posted:

Wait, you don't detach your car keys from the rest of your keyring when lending your car?

I wouldn't trust a coworker with my keyring, let alone my car.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

spog posted:

I wouldn't trust a coworker with my keyring, let alone my car.

Same here. I quit lending out my keys to co-workers after they lost them a couple of times. Thankfully, I have 3 separate key rings. One for the car (which is basically the car key/fob and that PNY bottle opener flash drive), One for home and one for work.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

A awesome ticket came in, Cryptolocker. Spotted the symptoms of it on the FS, but was delayed like 1.5 hrs going through "processes"

Call comes in
:newlol:"yeah can't open files on \\X\Y\Z.xlsx" Says X is corrupt or not the original file type.
:v: "lemme get remoted in here and see what is going on
I see about 40 files changed each modified by $user$ within seconds of each other, basically I realize the user has something on their computer causing this, no one could have done that fast.
:v: Okay I need to check something server side can I stay connected and just give you a ring back in 5 minutes.

Hey Bossman I think X has something up with their server, mind checking me on my thoughts here?
:geno: Oh okay.
:v: -Semi-long-yet-quick rant explaining why I think it is malicous software-
:geno: Uhh we can't jump to that, can you open the file or others?
:v: Like I said in $rant$ no
:geno: Oh let's go through a 35-45 minute long process while cryptolocker infects it.
:v: but I really feel we should look at the pc of $username$?
:geno: Dilbert do you even hear what you are saying? You are basically saying that the malicious software bypassed Microsofts Office 365 security settings, I could see on their domain with their old poo poo but this is the cloud. Just do what I say there is no use for us to remote in for 2 hours hunting down something it may not be!
:bang: I-... Okay I'll do the process
:geno: well nothing I said worked, remote to the users PC and see if files you upload are encrypted
:v: finally!
-remote in-
:geno: See no crypto-
:v: Look the user just tried to hide it I told you this was malicious software! It's Cryptolocker!
:geno: How'd you know so fast? We didn't go through my the process.
Apparently O365 migrations mean everything wrong with Permissions and such are instantly fixed and nothing bad happens! Some people need to take some security classes and understand Windows Filesystems

CF, how is it that you are the architect of all of these complex enterprise systems, but you don't have enough autonomy to check a user's PC when you think there's a virus without asking your boss?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I had someone borrow my keys and take my car to go buy crack, drive drunk and get arrested in it. I'm not in a bad area, either.
Needless to say, nobody is borrowing my car or my keys again, ever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Why would you lend your keys to a drunk person?

Renegret posted:

Some metrics came in!

...aaaaand my resume's updated. I'm jumping ship at the first indication that it's going into our review.

Luckily my supervisor is vocally against it, and if I can convince my director to add certain numbers to said metrics it'll prove to management that the new processes to make things better are just making everything worse. (Who am I kidding?)
We recently got the pleasure here of the COO posting a bunch of metrics up next to the front reception area, which show our 24-hour ticket response percentile over the last two years, among other things.

Of course, the falling numbers don't indicate the huge pile of tickets where you say "please respond with more information (like what office you're in, etc" which drags out for a month because the person on the other end didn't actually care about the half-rear end attempt they made about complaining about some minor annoyance, or how the users gradually stopped using the system entirely and went back to directly emailing everybody they felt like, because nobody bothered to deal with it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 24, 2013

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

coyo7e posted:

how the users gradually stopped using the system entirely

Funny you mention that because I was once involved in a Remedy deployment that got forced down on end users instead of opting for the buy-in approach.

I remember being told that we were supposed to open a ticket for anything, including hall-calls and drivebys so in the first two days I'd opened and closed thirty four tickets and spent three hours during those two days on ticket management.

Eventually though, people never got any feedback on their ticket metrics because no one was really in charge of it after it was implemented and management never seemed to care about it

Basically it ended in a big fadeout with a dozen Remedy servers sitting in the datacenter diligently turning electricity into heat.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've just been instructed to replace a handful of forms in our EMR software. The old ones all look similar to this:

And the new ones all look like this:

:v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Strip out the fonts and cite HIPAA

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
A ticket didn't come in to me, but I did recieve a bunch of company-wide status updates following our SAP server taking a poo poo sometime overnight. I came in to find 24 seperate update e-mails, which told the tale of some poor bastards having a terrible time. These ran from like 6pm all the way until 7am the next day:

e-mail 1 posted:

SAP is totally broken. We're working with HP (HP hosting SAP oh god :gonk:) to resolve the problem as soon as possible.

e-mail 3 posted:

HP have detected a serious hardware fault and are fitting a replacement. Expected completion time: 1 hour.

e-mail 5 posted:

Hardware replacement was successful. However database corruption has occured and we're restoring rom backups. Estimated completion time: 2 hours.

e-mail 10 posted:

The backup was corrupted, SAP is still non-functional. HP are attempting a different recovery method (presumably involving voodoo). Estimated completion time: 4 hours.

e-mail 15 posted:

The second backup attempt has failed. We are still working with HP to resolve the problem. No resolution ETA(!).

e-mail 20 posted:

We are rebuilding the server again, however SAP will be unavailable today. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks...perhaps longer. At least one half of well constructed homes will have roof and wall failure. All gabled roofs will fail...leaving those homes severely damaged or destroyed.

The majority of industrial buildings will become non functional. Partial to complete wall and roof failure is expected. All wood framed low rising apartment buildings will be destroyed. Concrete block low rise apartments will sustain major damage...including some wall and roof failure.

High rise office and apartment buildings will sway dangerously...a few to the point of total collapse. All windows will blow out. Abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

Who'd have thought having HP host your SAP implimentation would have backfired. :allears:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

Who'd have thought having HP host your SAP implimentation would have backfired. :allears:

If it's "mission critical" for your business, there's no good reason not to host it yourself. :colbert:

Regarding e-mail 20: what is the correlation between "SAP down" and buildings collapsing?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because when SAP is down, the world is ending according to end users.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

My hyperbole meter barely twitched on that one. It probably needs to be recalibrated the needful.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

SamDabbers posted:

If it's "mission critical" for your business, there's no good reason not to host it yourself. :colbert:

Regarding e-mail 20: what is the correlation between "SAP down" and buildings collapsing?

It looks like its paraphrasing the NWS alert sent out for hurricane Katrina

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

wa27 posted:

I've just been instructed to replace a handful of forms in our EMR software. The old ones all look similar to this:

And the new ones all look like this:

:v:

The magical word being, of course, "youth". :suicide:

I'm surprised they didn't make you give it crayon colors for fonts and background.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wa27 posted:

Is your EMR software using Access?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

evol262 posted:

Is your EMR software using Access?

They're Word 2003 templates.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

wa27 posted:

Oh nevermind then. Carry on.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wa27 posted:

:psyduck:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SamDabbers posted:

I originally thought it was hyperbole involving a nuclear attack and distance from ground zero. But yeah, Katrina.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
EMR software is its own special world of nightmares. Although OSCAR is apparently decent if you hire someone who knows the ins-and-outs of it to customize it to your clinic's needs.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Entropic posted:

EMR software is its own special world of nightmares. Although OSCAR is apparently decent if you hire someone who knows the ins-and-outs of it to customize it to your clinic's needs.

Tell me about it. I told my boss the other week that it might be easier for us to announce that Cerner is up and running than to announce that it's down/slow. That piece of poo poo is constantly having issues.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Entropic posted:

The requirements documents seem pretty clear. My wife is always a nursing director and I'm always a bit shocked when they talk about their EMR system and the litany of problems it has, lack of high availability services, etc. I don't know if EMR software is terrible, HIT people are terrible, or a combination thereof. I get it for schools, churches, and other businesses with low operating budgets and no in-house expertise. I don't understand how the largest hospital systems in the country are suffering with completely awful software that uses Word 2003 templates instead of a line of business application that any development team should be able to put together in 6 months or less.

Edit:

I should say it sounds like any development team could put them together in two months judging from EHR Stage 2 requirements documents and EMR requirements documents. Maybe it's much more complicated than this. From the outside, it appears that it's a bunch of otherwise competent IT people babysitting the worst applications in the world and people in some kind of nurse-cum-PM position with management's ear telling them how to (badly) implement a proprietary piece of poo poo solution that falls over every other day.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 24, 2013

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

evol262 posted:

The requirements documents seem pretty clear. My wife is always a nursing director and I'm always a bit shocked when they talk about their EMR system and the litany of problems it has, lack of high availability services, etc. I don't know if EMR software is terrible, HIT people are terrible, or a combination thereof. I get it for schools, churches, and other businesses with low operating budgets and no in-house expertise. I don't understand how the largest hospital systems in the country are suffering with completely awful software that uses Word 2003 templates instead of a line of business application that any development team should be able to put together in 6 months or less.

Edit:

I should say it sounds like any development team could put them together in two months judging from EHR Stage 2 requirements documents and EMR requirements documents. Maybe it's much more complicated than this. From the outside, it appears that it's a bunch of otherwise competent IT people babysitting the worst applications in the world and people in some kind of nurse-cum-PM position with management's ear telling them how to (badly) implement a proprietary piece of poo poo solution that falls over every other day.

Bad allocation of resources, or thinking IT doesn't matter. At least from what I've seen.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

evol262 posted:

Part of it is that there's a huge amount of customization required because you have a million different clinics and hospitals all using their own forms and procedures. A lot of the software is actually pretty robust at this point on the back end, but the implementation and training is the hard part. You have doctors who don't speak UI designer talking to UI designers (or coders who think they're UI designers) who don't speak doctor, so the back-and-forth of the two groups trying to hammer out an interface that does what the docs want how they want it can be hellish. At least that's my (very limited) experience with OSCAR.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Entropic posted:

Part of it is that there's a huge amount of customization required because you have a million different clinics and hospitals all using their own forms and procedures. A lot of the software is actually pretty robust at this point on the back end, but the implementation and training is the hard part. You have doctors who don't speak UI designer talking to UI designers (or coders who think they're UI designers) who don't speak doctor, so the back-and-forth of the two groups trying to hammer out an interface that does what the docs want how they want it can be hellish. At least that's my (very limited) experience with OSCAR.

This sounds insane. I'm all for user acceptance, but it seems like it'd be an order of magnitude less expensive to say "you're going to have to change your workflow" instead of customizing the software for every clinic and hospital. Some customization is surely required, but how different can Kaiser Permanente's med-surg practices be across facilities? Or United Healthcare's physical rehab? I can only imagine that customizing the gently caress out of the software every time you go somewhere new also means that health record portability is going to involve backend work to convert it into some sort of sane, portable format which obviates all this customization anyway.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Rawrbomb posted:

Bad allocation of resources, or thinking IT doesn't matter. At least from what I've seen.

HIM driving the implementation is what saddled us with OnBase and holy god is it a terrible program. If you log in to the computer with anything other than your AD account it just plain will not work, making it hell to use in our one offnet site. It broke under our SSO for the longest time, abuses Adobe Reader for displaying documents, and had to be scripted in order for anyone other than our OnBase admin to even install just the read-only client on computers. The only good things about it is really only HIM has to use it and the read-only client sits in an image without issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

This program was built by pharamacists, for pharmacists:

• Locked thread