Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frosteh posted:

The entertainment value of this thread has plummeted since the no-bitching policy.

To be fair every show's thread title in TVIV should be switched to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

various cheeses posted:

I'd imagine bitching is fine as long as you make it funny. No one wants to hear multiple lines of "blaghlahghahgaugaulagh this show sucks" unless you actually get clever with it.

There's bitching and then there's posting JUST to bitch. There's a pretty big divide there.

To be fair my absolutely favorite part of season 2 complaints, though, were the animated gifs. They've gone way, way down around here for some reason, and that's too bad. The amount of comedy gold from those edits were enough to make some of the silliest stuff get a laugh, at least. There were at least a half dozen for when Laurie flipped her car for absolutely no reason.

See, if you're going to complain, that's how you do it with effort and style.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 24, 2013

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Blazing Ownager posted:

This.

For every post that pointed out a genuine plot hole, there were 50 posts by people desperately trying to geg in on it with terrible, thoughtless random bitching. Half of them weren't even plot holes since the person desperate to be witty hasn't actually been paying attention to the show, and is just basically just saying 'GOD I'M SO MUCH SMARTER THAN THE WRITERS OF THIS SHOW LOOK HOW WITTY I AM WHEN I COMPLAIN THAT RICK IS STILL WEARING HIS DISEASED SHIRT' and they're so eager they don't even wait for the scene to finish before they bitch about it.

I'd say about half the poo poo-posters in this thread are just posers. :colbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's bitching and then there's posting JUST to bitch. There's a pretty big divide there.

To be fair my absolutely favorite part of season 2 complaints, though, were the animated gifs. They've gone way, way down around here for some reason, and that's too bad. The amount of comedy gold from those edits were enough to make some of the silliest stuff get a laugh, at least. There were at least a half dozen for when Laurie flipped her car for absolutely no reason.

On a side note where the season 4 gifs at? Things like the raining zombie sequence is why gifs were invented.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Blazing Ownager posted:

The zoom-in on ghost Lorie that turned into T-dog made that episode's entire week.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

13stitches posted:

Well, maybe with Aatrek now being permabanned we can loosen up this regulation a bit, who knows?

So what the hell happened with Aatrek?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

13stitches posted:

Well, maybe with Aatrek now being permabanned we can loosen up this regulation a bit, who knows?

Except he's not the one who made the rule. SA's very best mod did, and he's pissed off this week. Tread lightly.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
To be honest, I stopped reading TWD threads because every week devolved into bitching about zombie placement, Michonne scowling or Andrea being Andrea. Some were legitimate, most were "I didn't see that zombie move, ergo he must have teleported!! LOL" which dragged things down quickly, often at the expense of actual discussions.

For actual TWD season 4 talk, if I was a gambling man I would be putting my money on D'Angelo and Crazy Girl for the murderer and fence feeder respectively. D'Angelo because the list of people who know about the illness is small and it's easy to blame the outsider with a drinking problem (plus, it's D'Angelo so I'm hoping he has a big part to play) and when I can only think to refer to you as Crazy Girl you're obviously my first choice when someone is doing Dumb Stuff. They're keeping an air of mystery about things though so maybe it's a red herring.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Redundant posted:

To be honest, I stopped reading TWD threads because every week devolved into bitching about zombie placement, Michonne scowling or Andrea being Andrea. Some were legitimate, most were "I didn't see that zombie move, ergo he must have teleported!! LOL" which dragged things down quickly, often at the expense of actual discussions.

For actual TWD season 4 talk, if I was a gambling man I would be putting my money on D'Angelo and Crazy Girl for the murderer and fence feeder respectively. D'Angelo because the list of people who know about the illness is small and it's easy to blame the outsider with a drinking problem (plus, it's D'Angelo so I'm hoping he has a big part to play) and when I can only think to refer to you as Crazy Girl you're obviously my first choice when someone is doing Dumb Stuff. They're keeping an air of mystery about things though so maybe it's a red herring.
It's clearly Crazy Girl but we'll have an entire episode where D'Angelo gets accused and has to fight for the group to believe him. Why would he be feeding the zombies rats? Absolutely no reason. Crazy Girl will have some hosed up reason.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Redundant posted:

I never knew until the previous Twd threads how many people watch a show they apparently hate.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

^ I had no idea why TV writers treated viewers like goldfish before these threads.

D still might have been the one to kill Tyreese's girlfriend and someone else to contain the infection, being a former combat medic who seems a little sketchy.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of TWD gifs, the season 3 black highlander one was something magical

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

frosteh posted:

Speaking of TWD gifs, the season 3 black highlander one was something magical

Oh man I need black highlander gif now. Why won't google help me?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Speaking of the fence feeder, what's the deal with feeding the zombies just the head and throwing the carcass on the floor? My first thought was "braaaaaaaaaaaaaains" but I decided that was dumb.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

She doesn't give a rat's rear end.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Redundant posted:

Speaking of the fence feeder, what's the deal with feeding the zombies just the head and throwing the carcass on the floor? My first thought was "braaaaaaaaaaaaaains" but I decided that was dumb.

Urdnot Fire posted:

^ I had no idea why TV writers treated viewers like goldfish before these threads.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Who turned on the alarms and let the walkers in the prison last season? It's probably the same guy feeding the walkers since they never said who it was.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Did I miss something particularly obvious? Oh well, we all have our moments, if you could tell me what I missed that would be appreciated.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Urdnot Fire posted:

To be fair, the show doesn't do itself a lot of favors in this department by constantly having scenes that are awkwardly-edited, seem out of place, or don't make a lot of sense plot-wise. But yeah, with a billion people watching there are bound to be a lot who aren't paying much attention and constantly miss obvious things. They're just helped along by the fact that the show constantly switches from "Beat this point into the ground" mode and "Oops we completely forgot to deal with/resolve this point don't worry about it".

Hopefully this season will be a lot more stable behind-the-scenes, which should help the showrunners keep things moving smoother.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
It's what the scientist said "When you live like a caged rat you will see it's a truly dog eat dog world" this was a sub-hypnotic idea planted by the scientist into Rick's still dormant mind and now at night when he is sleeping he heads out to the fence and feeds rats to the zombies.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Andrew Verse posted:

Who turned on the alarms and let the walkers in the prison last season? It's probably the same guy feeding the walkers since they never said who it was.

It was Andrew, they killed him.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Bjay9 posted:

It was Andrew, they killed him.

... my god...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Andrew Verse posted:

I'm laughing right now because you're either very clever or very stupid.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

canuckanese posted:

I'm laughing right now because you're either very clever or very stupid.
It's a joke from the old thread mocking people who missed really obvious things, I assume I'm the target but I'm not sure how a throwaway joke about rat heads has led to "not paying attention" jokes so maybe I'm just being paranoid :tinfoil:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Redundant posted:

It's a joke from the old thread mocking people who missed really obvious things, I assume I'm the target but I'm not sure how a throwaway joke about rat heads has led to "not paying attention" jokes so maybe I'm just being paranoid :tinfoil:

Yeah, I figured he's either clueless or he's referencing how people didn't get who was setting off the alarm in the prison last season. Seemed like people were asking for weeks afterwards. Either way it was funny.

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

shadow puppet of a posted:

She doesn't give a rat's rear end.

:golfclap:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lava Lamp posted:

I never knew until the previous Twd threads how many people watch a show they apparently hate.

The only show that got it and really, really deserved it was Heroes Season 3.

What's sad is it started out well enough, but in retrospect, they wrecked even the decent moments so hilariously, it was the single biggest franchise/writing implosion I've ever seen in my life.

So a lot of people train wreck watched that, but it was kind of a glorious train wreck. I think someone went back and counted up the plot holes in the first episode after the season finale, and it was somewhere in the ballpark of 130. For a 40 minute show. I can't really say I was hate watching at that point, but more fascinated and I still use it as a baseline for bad writing.

Season 2 of TWD might have been slow and had a lot of people doing stupid things, but I can say completely honestly it never even got in the same zip code as that. At least it wasn't creating dozens of plot holes every episode, and having Shane flip sides from being the best guy in the whole world to the worst psychopath ever twice per episode.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 25, 2013

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just realized that you never see kid or old people zombies.
All are in the 20-40 range.
It would be a simple way to have a strong emotional scene, have one of the living kids kill a zombie one.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

happyhippy posted:

It would be a simple way to have a strong emotional scene, have one of the living kids kill a zombie one.

I'm pretty sure there was an old man among the fence zombies in the first episode this season. I remember making note of that when it did a close up on him. But yeah they could stand to do more of that. I think they probably don't want to do too many kid zombies just because having 1 child (teddy bear girl, SAPHIA, Penny) shot in the head per season is probably toeing the line as it is.

One thing I've really liked about this season so far is how visually distinctive the zombies' make-up is. We've seen several examples of walkers with really gnarly looking wounds, so to me it's already superior to last season in that regard. Hopefully they have a big enough effects budget that they didn't blow it all in the first few episodes and have to go back to "a bunch of people with generally greenish-gray skin".

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 25, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I think they probably don't want to do too many kid zombies just because having 1 child (teddy bear girl, SAPHIA, Penny) shot in the head per season is probably toeing the line as it is.

Nah, there are just more logistic issues with getting kid actors in make up and filming the scene in the daily time allotted that they don't bother with unusual zombie extras like kids unless its written into the script.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

happyhippy posted:

The very first episode had a little kid zombie! :getin:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

vyst posted:

The very first episode had a little kid zombie! :getin:

The very first episode had a lot of things we don't have anymore.

Dr. Wright
Dec 26, 2005
I think from a storytelling perspective it makes sense that they'd use child zombies sparingly. If every episode there were little kids mixed in with the dead, it'd take away some of the impact of the moments they have used them in the show. I don't think Rick taking out zombie Sophia would have been as striking of a scene if they'd featured more zombified kids, for example.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I do admit Rick shooting the ZombiGirl in Episode 1 was a real shock to me. Not that the event itself shocked me, but I was amazed an American TV show dared to kill a child.

Watching Hollywood films there is hardly ever any real suspense when a child is in danger. They miraculously survive in 99% of the cases.

Why haven't we seen anyone ride a bike yet? It's a silent, relatively fast and non-fuel consuming form of transportation. (Was about to say its also ecological, but I suppose with all the industry stopping Earth must have its cleanest air in over a century after 2 years of Z-Apocalypse.)

Btw, there are far too few weeds in the streets, gardens... My garden looks like a Rainforest after two months if completely unattended, let alone 2 years!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I could also see there not being many child walkers because if they got bitten, they'd probably just get totally consumed.

FogHelmut posted:

The very first episode had a lot of things we don't have anymore.
RIP Lori.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Evernoob posted:

Why haven't we seen anyone ride a bike yet? It's a silent, relatively fast and non-fuel consuming form of transportation. (Was about to say its also ecological, but I suppose with all the industry stopping Earth must have its cleanest air in over a century after 2 years of Z-Apocalypse.)

Btw, there are far too few weeds in the streets, gardens... My garden looks like a Rainforest after two months if completely unattended, let alone 2 years!

You realize you're complaining about the two biggest tropes in Zombie media complaining, right?

Yes it's dumb, but people in film on bikes look ridiculous unless they're 12 and they can't actually end the world and let weeds go wild to film this show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Complaining about weed density is a step up from complaining that Maggie's scene with the Governor wasn't rapey enough at least (I think that was in the spoiler thread and not this one but god drat)

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Evernoob posted:

I do admit Rick shooting the ZombiGirl in Episode 1 was a real shock to me. Not that the event itself shocked me, but I was amazed an American TV show dared to kill a child.

Interestingly I hear censors are pretty forgiving when it comes to zombies. From all the reports I've heard Zombies are counted on the same level of Robots when it comes to violence. As in, on a show aimed at kids you are allowed to murder two things: Zombies and Robots. So maybe the fact that it was a zombie child excuses it from being 'Rick shoots a child in the head' and becomes 'Rick shoots an undead thing in the head'

EDIT: Now a scene where a child was bitten and had to be put down before they turned... That might alarm the censors.

Dr. Wright
Dec 26, 2005

PootieTang posted:

Interestingly I hear censors are pretty forgiving when it comes to zombies. From all the reports I've heard Zombies are counted on the same level of Robots when it comes to violence. As in, on a show aimed at kids you are allowed to murder two things: Zombies and Robots. So maybe the fact that it was a zombie child excuses it from being 'Rick shoots a child in the head' and becomes 'Rick shoots an undead thing in the head'

EDIT: Now a scene where a child was bitten and had to be put down before they turned... That might alarm the censors.

There are no censors in the traditional sense, because the FCC doesn't regulate cable TV. The only thing censoring the show is their accountability to advertisers, and the fear of losing them if they cross certain lines. I think you're probably right that they might be hesitant to pull the trigger on something like that, but the only thing stopping them would be fear of losing major sponsors.

Dr. Wright fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Exactly, AMC wont allow them to do something foul or repugnant like showing a naked bum.

• Locked thread