Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

padijun posted:

Yeah, the pendulum has swung away from ranged to magic and melee. A star cannon with a few hundred stars and/or a megashark with a thousand crystal bullets used to be the gear that allowed you to solo skeletron prime or the twins if you planned and chugged the right potions. now you can just facetank everything with the vamp knives or the spectre armor.

There's always the coin gun and platinum coins if you want massive damage (and plan to just give yourself thousands of platinum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Evil Fluffy posted:

Where is this file located?
TConfig doesn't work anymore. I hear they were updating it for 1.2 to something called Terraria API?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

QuantaStarFire posted:

How big should I make my Hellbridge? Right now, it's about 1/4 of the length of my world, which is a large world.

Also, I really wish there was a Repel-type item that would reduce/eliminate spawns for a period of time. It's hard to build this poo poo when you're being assaulted by bats every 5 seconds.

What weapon are you gonna use? I think the first time I took him on I used a minishark and ranged gear, including meteor bullets so I could hit the eyes past the tentacle mouths. Your bridge should be long enough if you do that I think.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Cicadalek posted:

I was very happy when it took me a mere two or three reforges to get godly vampire knives. Of course, when I decide to swap out my ghost wings for bone wings because they look nicer, it takes 4 plat to even get armored.

Really the Goblin Tinkerer is probably the least competent NPC.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Esposito posted:

Really the Goblin Tinkerer is probably the least competent NPC.
And yet, the one we'd miss the most if he left.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I just tried Plantera out with no real preparation and yikes. Is it worth trying to kill it without Vampire Knives (maybe I'll tunnel down and lead it up to the surface next time) or should I start farming the Crimson for a key? I'm also just a few bars shy of a full Chlorophyte set, so maybe I should work on that, too.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

padijun posted:

What weapon are you gonna use? I think the first time I took him on I used a minishark and ranged gear, including meteor bullets so I could hit the eyes past the tentacle mouths. Your bridge should be long enough if you do that I think.

Mythical Diamond Staff. I've been tearing poo poo up since early game with it. Not sure whether to wear Molten Armor for the defense or Jungle Armor for the magic boost.

I really wish the innumerable demons I've been killing would drop a Demon Scythe book, but no such luck. :(

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

I've only ever gotten two shadow beam staffs and both dropped as mythical. :smuggo:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jackard posted:

TConfig doesn't work anymore. I hear they were updating it for 1.2 to something called Terraria API?

Oh, I thought maybe it was one of the game's files and you could just go in to edit stats directly, like toggling autoswing on items and tools. It'd be nice if it was just in the options, and on by default.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kyrosiris posted:

First reforge:

Fifth reforge:

This is it, the big time. :science:

Wait, the same modifier can have different stats?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

Wait, the same modifier can have different stats?

They're different weapons.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I just tried Plantera out with no real preparation and yikes. Is it worth trying to kill it without Vampire Knives (maybe I'll tunnel down and lead it up to the surface next time) or should I start farming the Crimson for a key? I'm also just a few bars shy of a full Chlorophyte set, so maybe I should work on that, too.

Definitely lead it to the surface. First time I summoned plantera I did that and it was a breeze, so the second time I attempted the fight in the underground jungle and... yikes.

E: go slow while you're heading to the surface, plantera seems extremely prone to despawning if you get too far away from it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Well I finally put my new world into hardmode last night. Second night was indeed a terrible night, as the Twins spawns while I was totally unprepared to fight them.

Not that I didn't try, I think I knocked off five thousand HP or so before it all ended for me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there an easy way to make my world spawn Orichalcum and Palladium? I already defeated the wall/broke some altars - though not all of them. Or do I just need to start a new world?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's the only way to spawn those ores; breaking altars has the game sprinkles anywhere underground with the three hardmode ore for that world. Your first set of three altars broken gives you the most potential ore and subsequent sets only give a half, a third, a fourth, etc as the first original three.

Now if you're talking as seeing the alternative ores Colbalt and Mythril but want Orichalcum and Palladium instead then yes you would need to start a new world. These ores, like the natural ones, are determined as a binary switch (get the old or get the new) at world generation.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
The hardmode ores a world has are determined when the first, second and third altars are smashed. That said, you still can't control which ones you get so you'll need keep rolling until you get the ores you want. Either by creating new worlds and taking them to hardmode or by savescumming.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

I think I now fully understand the ecstasy of gold.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Huszsersvn posted:

I think I now fully understand the ecstasy of gold.

You're missing the golden bricks, and golden furniture, to fully understand it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

benzine posted:

You're missing the golden bricks, and golden furniture, to fully understand it.

Don't forget golden armour and a crown in the social slots, and a golden throne to chill on while contemplating your vast wealth. Golden candles, candelabras, and chandeliers are also a must. And golden chests.

edit: also, I don't think I see the Finding Gold painting in your collection there :colbert:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
When my group moved to Hardmode in our first 1.2 world, a Blood Moon happened as soon as the sun went down. The very first enemy I killed (one of those Corrupter Worm things underground) dropped a K.O. Cannon. Looking in the Wiki, it's a pretty darn rare drop, and ultimately not all that powerful, but as a "Welcome to 1.2 Hardmode" weapon, it's really fun. :) I like how fast it fires at point-blank range, and I appreciate that it's an auto-firing weapon.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

XkyRauh posted:

When my group moved to Hardmode in our first 1.2 world, a Blood Moon happened as soon as the sun went down. The very first enemy I killed (one of those Corrupter Worm things underground) dropped a K.O. Cannon. Looking in the Wiki, it's a pretty darn rare drop, and ultimately not all that powerful, but as a "Welcome to 1.2 Hardmode" weapon, it's really fun. :) I like how fast it fires at point-blank range, and I appreciate that it's an auto-firing weapon.

You'll love the Golem Fist, it's basically an upgraded version of the K.O. Cannon.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Skeletron Prime appeared naturally just now, and while I had been putting off trying to kill him I figured there was no time like the present. He wasn't too bad, although I'm using mostly-endgame weapons and equipment. I think mobility of wings was the biggest difference maker.

Do the three Hardmode mechanical bosses still spawn naturally once they've been killed for the first time?

Lawlcat
Oct 24, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Do the three Hardmode mechanical bosses still spawn naturally once they've been killed for the first time?

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they do. I know I've at least seen the Twins show up multiple times and Skeletron Prime at least once after. I haven't seen the Destroyer show up naturally

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yep, all three can naturally spawn even if you've already killed them. Enemies won't drop summoning totems once you've killed a given boss, though.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Does the Lihzard Temple spawn at a specific depth, or is it just anywhere in the underground jungle? I'd like to find it before triggering hardmode but the jungle covers like a third of the map, and it's been pretty slow going. Also, does the Anklet of the Winds only spawn in jungle shrines? I still need one to complete my lightning boots.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, all three can naturally spawn even if you've already killed them. Enemies won't drop summoning totems once you've killed a given boss, though.
I don't think that's true. I've played a lot and I've never once seen the hardmode bosses spawn by themselves in a world after being defeated the first time.

Lawlcat
Oct 24, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I don't think that's true. I've played a lot and I've never once seen the hardmode bosses spawn by themselves in a world after being defeated the first time.

I can't vouch for all hardmode bosses, but I can say matter-of-factly I've seen the Twins spawn naturally after the first kill. My first Twins kill in my world was from the mechanical eye, and then some time later when I was in the dungeon, I got the message about them spawning. Returned to my base to find them there, and killed them.

Maybe it's that they won't spawn naturally after the first natural spawn and kill, though?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ornedan posted:

The hardmode ores a world has are determined when the first, second and third altars are smashed. That said, you still can't control which ones you get so you'll need keep rolling until you get the ores you want. Either by creating new worlds and taking them to hardmode or by savescumming.

Ah poo poo, should have thought of that. Oh well, boring metal town it is. Frustrating that the game doesn't diversify on a large map at least.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
New update coming soon, apparently.

Lots of halloween stuff, plus you can craft the biome keys now. Spectre armor requires chlorophyte also.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Cicadalek posted:

Lots of halloween stuff, plus you can craft the biome keys now. Spectre armor requires chlorophyte also.

That makes no mention of a new boss :cry:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Changes:
Mice can no longer spawn in hell
You can longer place Campfires in water
Minimap now draws over enemy health bars
:saddowns:

quote:

Sunflowers now reduce Crimson’s effects
Added new Halloween themed pets
Several friendly NPCs will sell costumes
:swoon:

I have very complicated feelings about this update.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Klayboxx posted:

That makes no mention of a new boss :cry:

Aren't some changes unrecorded sometimes?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm honestly fine with Spectre Armor requiring Chlorophyte. Chloro/Shroomite/Turtle require it too, seems fair to me.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I hope Spectre armour will require less ectoplasm to make, if dungeon spirits are going to spawn less often. Good to see its requirements match up with the other two endgame armour types though.

I also like the Hardmode Dungeon keys change, provided the rare drops that are its craft components are less rare than the original keys.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Cicadalek posted:

quote:

Crimson and Hollow now counteract each other

Wait, they don't right now?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
With Vitamins and the sunflower/Hallow tweaks being dropped by Floaty Gross now, we're closer to Crimson/Corruption parity, aren't we?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

shymog posted:

With Vitamins and the sunflower/Hallow tweaks being dropped by Floaty Gross now, we're closer to Crimson/Corruption parity, aren't we?

It's still not possible to deliberately spread Crimson pre-WoF, and Crimson still has overall nicer toys than Corruption post-WoF but we're closer, yes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speaking of disappointing news, turns out that the Bee items don't stack. Cloud of Bees Man is going to remain just a dream, sadly.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So the 1.2.1/Halloween update just got rolled out, patch notes here

No mention of the Moon Boss.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
Pumpkin Moon Medallion: 30 Pumpkins, 5 Ectoplasm, 10 Hallowed Bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003