Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kooriken posted:

So, Gogoat actually looks pretty decent! What does everyone suggest for a nature and EVs? I was thinking about going Careful Nature with 252 Attack and Split Defenses. Moveset something like Earthquake/Horn Leech or Leaf Blade/Milk Drink/Brick Break or Leech Seed.

Any thoughts?

I'm going for Adamant since it's bulky there. Hon Leech, Bulk Up, Milk Drink, and Rock Slide. Earthquake would make Flying types open to attack me and render that move useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

quiggy posted:

Sent you a PM.

Also how have people been checking IVs? Has the formula changed since last gen or are the old calculators still valid?

Dude in the last town Poke Center will straight up tell you every IV that's maxed.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

kater posted:

Dude in the last town Poke Center will straight up tell you every IV that's maxed.

:stare:

Last town meaning the one right before Victory Road or the postgame town?

GauchoNaut2085
Oct 23, 2010

Nakar posted:

The Maison cheats as bad as previous Battle incarnations, but it's much more giving with rewards. You get 1 BP per battle until after the 10th, then you get 2 per battle. You get a bonus for beating the bosses, and you can also unlock Super modes where you start off getting 3 BP per battle (but the cheating gets intense in Supers).

If you got lucky and went on a real 30-40 victory tear, you'd have more BP than you know what to do with (although there's plenty of poo poo to buy).

And then you get to round fifty and the boss has the legendary birds and regis. If you beat them, you get a monument in the exchange area which is really just to make you feel better before every team after the boss has Latios to smash your head in. If you get past fifty just stop and save yourself the pain.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there really no way to keep pokemon in the daycare from leveling up/forgetting moves? I need to pass down 2 egg moves in my next breeding project, but I know the pokemon I'm breeding will learn a bunch of trash moves and forget them in only a few levels.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Acrobatics from a Talonflame will do it.

sword_man.gif posted:

Priority Brave Bird is a real bitch.
Talonflame is already apparently tearing it up on Smogon's simulators. Granted, it will not be too long before people figure out ways to deal with it but it's a real bitch to handle even if you have Stealth Rock up since you still have to switch in something that won't get OHKO'd by Flying priority or outsped by Flare Blitz.

Also, everyone seems to be forgetting this: Talonflame has priority-motherfucking-Roost. :getin:

Opposing Farce posted:

e: I wouldn't be terribly surprised if other early-gen starters and their Mega Stones turn up in future Mystery Gift events ala Blaziken.
Mega Swampert would be too incredible to ever release.

Although if any of the starters need Mega evos, it's the Gen II ones. Typhlosion is just a little bit short of being incredible, and Feraligatr and Meganium need something to make them more desirable than their more versatile successors/predecessors.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there really no way to keep pokemon in the daycare from leveling up/forgetting moves? I need to pass down 2 egg moves in my next breeding project, but I know the pokemon I'm breeding will learn a bunch of trash moves and forget them in only a few levels.
Level them up past their learn range first. That's all you can do (and I had to do it for my Spore Shroomishes, ugh).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Also, in regards to breeding, is it supposed to be this hard because got drat. I have tons of Elekids, but I have yet to get one that's Naive. I know I could probably get a Ditto, Everstone, dot hat whole thing, but do people really just have to be super patient when doing this?

Also, when it comes to perfect IVs, are people trying to get all 6 to be 31 or just the two areas wherein they are EV training that Poke the most?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Level it up a few times yourself so the experience they gain won't get them too many more.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I am kind of mindboggled that the Gen VI starters don't have Mega Forms. Like, what's the point? I understand that the Gen I starters were laser-targeted nostalgia bombs, but you would think that the Gen VI starters would also be able to show off the new Gen VI game mechanic.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

quiggy posted:

:stare:

Last town meaning the one right before Victory Road or the postgame town?

Postgame town (Kiloude City), in the Pokemon Center.

Also, replied to your PM. :)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

deadly_pudding posted:

I am kind of mindboggled that the Gen VI starters don't have Mega Forms. Like, what's the point? I understand that the Gen I starters were laser-targeted nostalgia bombs, but you would think that the Gen VI starters would also be able to show off the new Gen VI game mechanic.
I think their goal was to make the Gen VI starters different from prior starters rather than simply really strong. Unfortunately I'm not sure they succeeded except with Greninja, who is really really cool and plays totally different from any other Water starter.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I have yet to see any pictures of the Battle Chantelaine, so I took some pictrues of Evelyn since I'm doing Double Battle Maison and I can only assume other people are curious too: http://imgur.com/a/dwUeb

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 24, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

kater posted:

The gently caress do you do against Speed Boost Blaziken but die?

Azumarill, resists both it's STABs, KOs with Huge Power Aqua Jet.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

I'm not sure they succeeded except with Greninja, who is really really cool and plays totally different from any other Water starter.

Yeah I was really expecting another bulkyish but slow water type that played around with offensive moves but was really just adequate, not the speed demon killing machine I got.

e: Essentially Swampert-yet-not-quite, especially since it was a frog.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Keeping it in the bag for Z/Gen 7, and/or seeing where they settle in the endgame before deciding what needs what.

Protean Greninja is basically a Mega Form for that anyway.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
Welp, my inner child is devastated, I got rocked by the water guy of the Elite Four. I haven't lost to one of them in... Ever.

I think I'll rebuild my team now and maybe gently bandage my ego. While I do that, is Victory Road the best place to train up the new team, or should I go somewhere else? Where are all the Audino at!?

e: also have you always lost money when you lost a battle? I thought I just passed out in prior generations...

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 24, 2013

RME
Feb 20, 2012

My Yvetal came with its 3 perfect IVs in HP, Atk, and SpAtk, which was pretty cool, but it had the -SpAtk +Atk nature and I'm pretty sure all the cool moves it gets are Special. Fortunately I don't really care about using legendaries so much to watch all those cutscenes again, so it's just gonna sit in the PC I guess.
It's like it never left its cocoon.

e: I guess I could do an acrobatics + suckerpunch + roost + coverage move? moveset if I really wanted to use it.

RME fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 24, 2013

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Greninja is the best starter this Gen by such a wide margin I kinda feel bad for the people who didn't pick Froakie.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Greninja is the best starter this Gen by such a wide margin I kinda feel bad for the people who didn't pick Froakie.

I see so many people who have ingrained "Fire is the best" into their heads so hard that they use Braxien/Blaziken/Charizard all on the same team and it's about heartbreaking to ruin that.

Then they also do cover legendary/Mewtwo/Zygarde and it just goes to "well you wanted this".

After the talkin yesterday about Sucker Punch I decided to start breeding Pawniards with it and one of them wound up being shiny and thankfully not a bad nature (neutral nature, not GREAT but), so that worked out pretty well.

It's very hard to pet Pawniard and Bisharp in amie though because of the whole made of knives thing.

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 24, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

I picked Froakie solely because Blaziken was free and Bulbasaur seemed like the best choice between itself and Charmander.

Didn't know what Froakie would become. Goddamn. It's like they intended it.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
the only reason I chose Froakie was because my friend already picked chespin- who I actually wanted. However Froakie was a great choice, nothing beats French Ninja Frog. Though I think I'm going to try a team with Chespin just because he's a Bomb Squad Hedgehog :3:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Completely irrelevant since it's the hidden ability that makes it really good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zoran posted:

This would almost certainly make an egg appear just about every 10 steps if it were true.
poo poo dude with my Japanese Ditto I go halfway up the daycare route and halfway back and I almost always have an egg waiting for me.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 24, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In the campaign, Delphox doesn't stand out much from Charizard, Delphox, or Infernape, in that it goes first and packs a powerful Flamethrower, and its hidden ability is kind of awkward to use. But I feel like it's going to be very distinctive once people get a handle on it. If nothing else, Psychic types often get interesting egg moves.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Bongo Bill posted:

In the campaign, Delphox doesn't stand out much from Charizard, Delphox, or Infernape, in that it goes first and packs a powerful Flamethrower, and its hidden ability is kind of awkward to use. But I feel like it's going to be very distinctive once people get a handle on it. If nothing else, Psychic types often get interesting egg moves.

Ingame I've been using it as a ghetto special Infernape with its pretty good typing coverage. It learns Grass Knot and Shadow Ball.

The Battle Maison keeps feeding me Rhydon leads and getting wrecked by Grass Knot :getin:

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 24, 2013

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Red Baron posted:

Welp, my inner child is devastated, I got rocked by the water guy of the Elite Four. I haven't lost to one of them in... Ever.

I think I'll rebuild my team now and maybe gently bandage my ego. While I do that, is Victory Road the best place to train up the new team, or should I go somewhere else? Where are all the Audino at!?

e: also have you always lost money when you lost a battle? I thought I just passed out in prior generations...

I'm told that Battle Chateau eventually gets people that are packing Audinos, but I can't properly substantiate that.

Restaurant Le Wow pays for itself and has level 60-ish trainers if you can pony up the initial 100k Pokebux entry fee.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm told that Battle Chateau eventually gets people that are packing Audinos, but I can't properly substantiate that.

It's true and it's usually (always?) the furisode girls that use them.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dastardly posted:

Completely irrelevant since it's the hidden ability that makes it really good.

Eh, even the standard starter Greninja does pretty well for himself in terms of speed, special attack, and moveset-- Water Shuriken is a little disappointing, and I wish he had some better Dark options, but Extrasensory and Ice Beam give him some nice coverage. Dude takes hits like a chump, though.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Don't feel that bad. Froakies (especially with Protean) are in such high supply now, I was able to grab two timid ones via Wonder Trade.

A Pretentious Owl
Mar 31, 2011

EB: it is true, it is a fact from an alien.

Evil Eagle posted:

So how is this for a Goodra? Haven't though about natures / EVs yet, but I think this has potential.

Goodra @ Binding Band
Hydration

Rain Dance
Rest
Infestation
Toxic

Trap them, then toxic and rest in the rain until they're done for. I also have a Drizzle Politoed to go with this.

I've seen this set running around, and the basic opinion is: Really good conceptually, but Goodra really, really needs independent Drizzle support on a Hydration Infestation set. The three turns necessary to set up Rain Dance - Infestation - Toxic is a really significant number of turns, all the while your opponent is trying to kill you. Yeah, Goodra's really bulky, but three turns to even GET to Toxic is really just too long. Plus, dead walled by Steel and Poison types. I've seen something like this running around:

Goodra @ Binding Band
Hydration

Infestation
Toxic
Rest/Protect
Coverage Move - Sludge Wave, Sludge Bomb, Fire Blast, Draco Meteor, Thunderbolt

Pretty much the exact same concept, just a little more reliant on team support at the expense of being able to set up faster and counter potential threats. You can use Protect over Rest to get a free turn to let Toxic and Infestation whittle away your opponent, which could be situationally more useful than Rest if your Drizzler is dead. Coverage depends on your team! A Poison move would be for potential Fairy switch-ins; though, Thunderbolt serves the same purpose, considering the most popular Fairies running around right now are Azumarill and Togekiss. Fire Blast can be used for the Steel-types that would otherwise laugh at this set; you can still trap them and Fire Blast them to death, and Goodra's bulky enough to shrug it off or shrug off the damage from the occasional miss. You can use Draco Meteor if you want a surprisingly powerful STAB move, but that brings you back to being walled by Steels and Fairies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, they start bringing them once you're a Marquis (the fourth rank). It probably takes about eight to ten runs through a fresh Battle Chateau.

How do you level O-Powers? The game says to keep using them but I spam them on my friend all the time and I haven't seen them climb in levels at all.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Emalde posted:

I have yet to see any pictures of the Battle Chantelaine, so I took some pictrues of Evelyn since I'm doing Double Battle Maison and I can only assume other people are curious too: http://imgur.com/a/dwUeb

I'm in the process of going through all the starting Maison formats just so I can take pictures of all the Chatelaines, but I can safely say Evelyn is my favorite of the bunch.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, they start bringing them once you're a Marquis (the fourth rank). It probably takes about eight to ten runs through a fresh Battle Chateau.

How do you level O-Powers? The game says to keep using them but I spam them on my friend all the time and I haven't seen them climb in levels at all.

That is how you do it. You just need to keep applying o powers.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I send out my breeding failure Sylveon to trade for a Shieldon to breed Iron Head onto my Aggron, and end up with one that's Pokerused. :stare: Thanks, GTS guy!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The White Dragon posted:

I think it varies depending on power, or something. The only one I've leveled up is Capture Power to Level 2, because I keep forgetting about them.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

The White Dragon posted:

You have to use them a lot.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Question: to get a certain ability onto a new pokemon, one of the parents must have said certain ability, right?

e: i don't think vital spirit on a magby is a hidden ability, oops

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 24, 2013

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Is there a way to turn off the obnoxious pop-ups on the PSS screen?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Where's the effort ribbon person in x/y? I'm sure I met her in a pokecentre but I can't remember which one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Millions posted:

Is there a way to turn off the obnoxious pop-ups on the PSS screen?

You can't hard-shut them off, but you can always just switch to and keep it on the Pokemon-Amie or Super Training screen.

• Locked thread