Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

flummox posted:

The 6d's body is magnesium. The top cover is polycarbonate because the wifi won't work in an all-metal body. It feels just as solid as a 5d in any case.

Oh, I guess I misunderstood that. I thought it was an all plastic body.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The AF is more sensitive to light. The center point, anyway. Actually, it is the most sensitive of any Canon DSLRs, with -3EV. As such, it is better.

Eh, technically. Every review I've seen says it is a little better in low light but its still a single cross type and the tracking is mediocre. The 7D has a better overall AF system and it came out in 2009. Canon could have included the 7d's AF system, or something like it with the more sensitive center point, and had a killer little FF at a great price point with room to grow into the 5dIII. Even with the features available in the 6d it still feels like Canon held back on it. Not that its not an awesome camera, mind, it just doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to the 5dII. Its an entry point for people looking to jump to full frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's a new OS X Canon-compatible shutter count app on the Mac App Store for $1.99. Assuming it is updated as new models come out, it beats paying EOSCount multiple times.

I'll probably buy it when I get home, if I remember. Though I'm a little afraid to know just how little I use my expensive camera equipment. :ohdear:
The verdict is in:

I've had it for a year. :blush:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Jesus christ man, why even buy something if you're not going to use it?

Give it to me. I'll use it.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

The verdict is in:

Holy poo poo dude. I think I shot that in a week after I got my 6D. Wanna trade?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Sell it to meeeee. I offer $2300 RIGHT NOW :w00t:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

The verdict is in:

I've had my 5D3 for 14 months now and I have about 10x the shutter count you do. :madmax:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The verdict is in:

That's like just about 3 16gb cards of raw :cmon:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So let's see: I think that's about 1% of the 5D III's rated shutter life, so I'll need to get the shutter repaired in about 100 years. :haw:

1st AD posted:

Jesus christ man, why even buy something if you're not going to use it?
Now I just feel worse about the ~$8,000 I've probably spent on lenses, filters, and other accessories.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Are you just a hobbyist or what? I use my cameras primarily for video and even I have a way higher shutter count after a year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

Are you just a hobbyist or what?
I ended up answering this a few months ago, actually:

No I'm just overpaid, not married yet, and I switched expensive hobbies from PC gaming to photography a few years back since L-glass holds its value a hell of a lot more than a video card that gets replaced in the market every 6 months. I don't end up with much time for hobbies anyway right now since I work ~50 hours a week and go to school full-time, but that won't stop me from buying toys. If it wasn't camera gear, it would probably be cars or something. At least my more artistically gifted friends get to borrow nice gear. I also frequently unload stuff at Crazy Gideon prices on SA-Mart, so I guess the community benefits. :)

I think my hobby really just boils down to being more interested in the technical side of the photography rather than the artistic side. That's not to say I don't appreciate photography as an art; I love going to exhibits and seeing all of the creative stuff people come up with online. I'm just not very good at it and don't have the time to fully invest myself in the hobby. I suppose that would classify me more as a camera enthusiast. If I had any less sense, I'd probably be one of those guys over at POTN listing all of the gear I own pretending anyone else even gives a drat.

I'd love for my current job's exposure to embedded systems to someday allow me to do something like ARM firmware development for Canon's camera bodies, but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan. I know they have some engineering presence in New York, but I don't know in what capacity.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I ended up answering this a few months ago, actually:

Unfortunately, I think most of Canon's engineering presence in the US is due to research, not firmware development.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Unfortunately, I think most of Canon's engineering presence in the US is due to research, not firmware development.
Yeah all of their firmware engineering and image processing stuff is done in Japan, unfortunately.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

... I also frequently unload stuff at Crazy Gideon prices on SA-Mart, so I guess the community benefits...

Guess who's posts I just subscribed to!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The verdict is in:

I've had my om-d for 9 months and I have 27228 shutter actuations, common man.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-6...=item43b8819da0

oh my gentle jesus

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
98.4% feedback, I would take those chances.

Is this slowly creeping into the 'too good to be true' category?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It screams "we stole a pallet of 6D's" to me.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

I want to say my 60D was probably stolen. Though, it didn't cross my mind at the time. I bought it off of ebay for $750 (I know) at the time which was really cheap. It had low shutter count, but did not come with a body cap and when I asked a question about it, the seller kept referring to itself as "we". Seems super fishy, but they had a good seller rating, much like 6D pallet guy.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I think my 7D was bought stolen too. Bought it off a guy on Craigslist. Didn't have a body cap or a charger...

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

1st AD posted:

My guess would be grey market.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Well, I bought one a few months back when it was really cheap (like they are now) and I hardly ever use it. YMMV, of course.

I might be willing to take it off your hands :v:

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Somebody talk me out of buying the EOS M :ohdear: I really like the idea of a mirrorless that I can adapt with all of my existing Canon gear.

I got one to convert to IR.

It's really rubbish to use. The UI is all kinds of awkward, the AF is awful (apparently better since the new firmware, I haven't updated), and the lack of physical controls makes me love my x100 even more.

That said, it's like two hundred bucks. Just get one bundled with the adapter, because they are like $120+ on their own.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 25, 2013

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I am weighing up the options for a standard zoom to use on my 5d ii. The only other lenses I have for this camera are the 50mm 1.8 and 100mm f2 (love this btw, highly recommended).

Looking at the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for around $380 or the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC for around $900.

Anyone used both? Sigma 24-70 is not an option because apparently the IQ sucks and I don't want to spend $2k on the Canon.

Apparently the 28-75 is crazy good value as long as you don't get a soft copy. And it would be nice to use that extra $500 for some other gear (would like to get some lighting equipment - stands, umbrellas etc and another flash).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you can wait (and afford it), Sigma is coming out with a full frame 24-70 f2 with OIS.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah but I believe that is still a rumor and if real probably a year away. Obviously if they do release it and it's any good I will give them my money as fast as I can.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Sounds like something to replace augment the 18-35 f1.8 in my GIVE SIGMA MORE MONEY camera bag.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

There's a new OS X Canon-compatible shutter count app on the Mac App Store for $1.99. Assuming it is updated as new models come out, it beats paying EOSCount multiple times.
Or you can use gphoto2, which is open source. (I'm up to about 35k in 34 months of 7D ownership)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Pablo Bluth posted:

Or you can use gphoto2, which is open source. (I'm up to about 35k in 34 months of 7D ownership)

I'd wager its probably about a billion times easier to just download a $2 phone app than try to gently caress with linux bullshit.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's also easier to get lots of gushing praise of flickr by posting some HDR puke and posting it to award-five love-in group than it is by uploading something innovative.

Once you've got gphoto working, you can use it to do all sorts of things with a tethered camera.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's also easier to get lots of gushing praise of flickr by posting some HDR puke and posting it to award-five love-in group than it is by uploading something innovative.
What a hilariously stupid comparison.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

What a stupid comparison.

This is what I think to myself every time I read a Wario In Real Life post

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Yes, I was being entirely po-faced and not at all flippant.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Sup fellow Canonailures. :smug:

Just got my 5D and 40mm from KEH, test images looking pretty great so far I'm really pleased.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unlikely but genius combo IMO.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkyskI13KOs

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Mest0r posted:

Sup fellow Canonailures. :smug:

Just got my 5D and 40mm from KEH, test images looking pretty great so far I'm really pleased.

I see a couple scratches, but otherwise the body looks nice. What was the condition listed as on KEH?

And did the body/lens live up to the site's stated rating?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

mrlego posted:

I see a couple scratches, but otherwise the body looks nice. What was the condition listed as on KEH?

And did the body/lens live up to the site's stated rating?

The body was rated EX and the lens was EX+, I decided to go with an EX body because I figured that if the body wasn't beat up then there was a higher chance that it wasn't used all that much and have a lower shutter count. If the file naming indicates anything, it looks like the shutter count is pretty low. Aside from the visible scratch in the picture, there's a few minor scratches on the screen and on the base plate but I'd expect that. The lens though, looks pretty much brand new.

Edit: Also, sometime people say that BGN looks virtually flawless, and I've had some experiences where that was true. But other times I've order BGN stuff where it was dinged and scratched up a bit more then I was expecting (after having previously receiving really nice looking gear when buying BGN), but that was mostly older film gear, so take that for what it's worth.

Shutter count talk: Is there a way to get the shutter count of a 5D classic without sending it in to Canon?

mes fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 26, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does't Magic Lantern do shutter count?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does't Magic Lantern do shutter count?

chainfires dslr controller does this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

notwithoutmyanus posted:

chainfires dslr controller does this too.

Huh, did not know it did this. Its a great app and chainfire is a pretty cool dude.