Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand #1 (of 5)
Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (of 3)
Cataclysm: Ultimates #1 (of 3)
Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men #1 (of 3)

e: Oh I think you're right because I'm not seeing solicits for issues dropping in their normal spots.

Also those are all being written by two writers. Bendis and Joshua Fialkov and they should make everything worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So besides Doom Trilogy, what is the best current jumping on point for Ultimates. I have heard good things in this thread about the current run, and bad things about older runs, so where do I hop on for good "Ultimates"? UC New Ultimates?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

So besides Doom Trilogy, what is the best current jumping on point for Ultimates. I have heard good things in this thread about the current run, and bad things about older runs, so where do I hop on for good "Ultimates"? UC New Ultimates?

Ultimate 1,2 Ultimate Comics Ultimates if written by Hickman or Joshua Hale Fialkov

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Ultimates 1
Ultimates 2
Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates
Ultimates #1-30

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I don't know if it was real or not, but at one of the Marvel panels today at NYCC, Mark Paniccia left the room to cry when being asked about Cataclysm and what it meant for the Ultimate universe. Like I said, I don't know if it was real or not, but considering the other panelists reactions it very well might have been.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's comics. It wasn't real.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

So the last issue of Hunger came it and it sure was a whole big pile of nothing and everything is basically back to where it was at the end of Age of Ultron/start of the series.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Rick Jones isn't in the Ultimate Universe anymore and sun eater Galactus is probably weakened to regular strength Galactus making the "Ultimate Line is ENDING!" doom saying even more likely to be wrong.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So Marvel could have gone directly from AoU #10 to Cataclysm #1 had the schedule allowed for it, and Hunger was just a pointless time-killing exercise? Did anyone not see this coming from the moment Cataclysm was announced?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

That was kind of obvious once they announced that Bendis/Bagley was doing Cataclysm but I was at least hoping that Fialkov would get to do at least something interesting with the book. Even keeping Super Galactus would've been a fun addition.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

So Marvel could have gone directly from AoU #10 to Cataclysm #1 had the schedule allowed for it, and Hunger was just a pointless time-killing exercise? Did anyone not see this coming from the moment Cataclysm was announced?

Hunger:

-set up a new status quo for Rick Jones
-addressed the of issue Ultimate Galactus
-brought back Ultimate Silver Surfer

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Jesus, who reading a comic anywhere ever gave a poo poo about Rick Jones?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

thet0wer posted:

Hunger:

-set up a new status quo for Rick Jones
-addressed the of issue Ultimate Galactus
-brought back Ultimate Silver Surfer

If any of that is actually a factor in Cataclysm proper, I'll be surprised.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I liked the art but yeah it was a pretty disappointing ending. Oh well, hopefully cataclysm picks up some of it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I'm still a little confused, is that Galactus after Ultimate Earth or 616 Earth?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm still a little confused, is that Galactus after Ultimate Earth or 616 Earth?

The former.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Waterhaul posted:

That was kind of obvious once they announced that Bendis/Bagley was doing Cataclysm but I was at least hoping that Fialkov would get to do at least something interesting with the book. Even keeping Super Galactus would've been a fun addition.

I've had a think about it and I believe the point of hunger was actually to nerf Galactus for the Ultimate Earth, which is down most of it's heavy hitters and wouldn't be able to convincingly give a non-wounded Galactus a fight.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is Cataclysm going to follow the heroes on earth, Rick Jones handling whatever it is he's supposed to handle now, or both?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Argue posted:

Is Cataclysm going to follow the heroes on earth, Rick Jones handling whatever it is he's supposed to handle now, or both?

Well, most of the issues take place in Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Ultimate X-Men, so it's probably going to be mostly about the heroes on earth.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Actually this recent development explains how all the tie-ins, like Ultimate Spiderman, already had Galactus appear on Earth.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

So Marvel could have gone directly from AoU #10 to Cataclysm #1 had the schedule allowed for it, and Hunger was just a pointless time-killing exercise?

Well it did provide for a couple rad as hell scenes with MegaGalactus just wrecking everything... but otherwise yes, pointless.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
USM #28 had me grinning ear-to-ear the entire issue. I liked the brief bit of synergy between Miles and Jessica during the fight, but who cares because we got this page :neckbeard:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

And in the next one it all goes to hell! Cataclysm better not gently caress this up.

But a Young Ultimates would be loving awesome with the cast from today's comic. Throw Gwen in it too just because.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I really hope the Ultimate Universe stays around somehow because I couldn't stand seeing Miles and Jessica getting booted to 616 where they'll get killed in some Marvel event comic.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Honestly I don't really see what would be gained by booting them over to 616 and presumably getting rid of 99% of their own cast/foes in the process. 616 is crowded as it is with Spider-people and yeah, they'd be killed off within the decade.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Man, Miles is really growing in front of our eyes.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Sigma posted:

Man, Miles is really growing in front of our eyes.

Miles is the best :3:
He is my favorite character in Marvel comics right now.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
I have to agree this USM issue was fantastic. I hope Bendis is setting up a new incarnation of the dynamic Peter had with Bobby and Johnny, I love a good supporting cast and I'm pretty tired of stakes being artificially raised by having the hero always going it alone.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe it's just me but Bendis got some weird pacing. Just got around to reading the issue and drat, that was some lazy exposition right there. "Let's just repeat this page 3 times and have our big bad splurge out all the backstory", followed by "and let's wrap this up".

Considering how long Roxxon have been hovering in the background the take-down felt a wee bit on the easy side, you'd think they'd have better security than "Uh, call up the lab guys and hope they can arrive in 5 minutes".

So no, not really feeling the issue. Should have more of a climax, what with being the end of the first chapter. Miles really got poo poo for villains too, considering it's been 28 issues.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

Maybe it's just me but Bendis got some weird pacing. Just got around to reading the issue and drat, that was some lazy exposition right there. "Let's just repeat this page 3 times and have our big bad splurge out all the backstory", followed by "and let's wrap this up".

Aw come on, that was hilarious. The Roxxon guy was just hanging there bitching and moaning, threatening, and predicting the future for three full pages and all he gets from Miles is "You're under arrest."

That issue felt like a nice ending to the retirement storyline, and I love the supporting cast this book has. The little bit at the end hinting that we might see more of them working together in the future made me happy.

quote:

So no, not really feeling the issue. Should have more of a climax, what with being the end of the first chapter. Miles really got poo poo for villains too, considering it's been 28 issues.

And yet the series has been really solid.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Comic books need copy editors.

http://imgur.com/ot4Koz2

onefish fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 7, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/carnal

While it's true it means that, it can also just be sort of "basic instinct hunger."

If Galactus is supposed to be some sort of embodiment of some sort of cosmic force, carnal sort of works.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

onefish posted:

Comic books need copy editors.

http://imgur.com/ot4Koz2

Please don't kinkshame Galactus.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Mark Bagley's Miles and Ganke were really disconcerting and Cataclysm is not a good event so far.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Genetic Toaster posted:

Mark Bagley's Miles and Ganke were really disconcerting and Cataclysm is not a good event so far.

I really wonder if it's trying hard to be a shittier event than Ultimatum.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Genetic Toaster posted:

Yeah the art was kinda poo poo and Galactus doing things isn't really interesting when he has no dialogue. At the very least him running into 3 of this universe's Fantastic Four should have brought a reaction. Any reaction. I'm not really sure where they're going with this.

And that xenomorph cap freaked me the gently caress out.

The one thing I DID like is that it wasted no time getting into the story. My guess is that Galactus not being in 616 is a Very Bad Thing and he knows it so he's just trying to amass enough energy to rip his way back.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 7, 2013

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah the art was kinda poo poo and Galactus doing things isn't really interesting when he has no dialogue. At the very least him running into 3 of this universe's Fantastic Four should have brought a reaction. Any reaction. I'm not really sure where they're going with this.

And that xenomorph cap freaked me the gently caress out.

The one thing I DID like is that it wasted no time getting into the story. My guess is that Galactus not being in 616 is a Very Bad Thing and he knows it so he's just trying to amass enough energy to rip his way back.

It wasted no time getting into the premise, but it sure wasted time getting into something resembling a loving story. Here is Cataclysm #1:

"Galactus shows up and people freak out."

That is LITERALLY IT. This is seriously the worst example of Bendis-event-first-issue-malaise I've seen in forever.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The one thing I DID like is that it wasted no time getting into the story.

That's because you're not taking Hunger into account, really this is the fifth issue in.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Genetic Toaster posted:

Did Ganke get thin all of a sudden and I missed it or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Chompers posted:

That's because you're not taking Hunger into account, really this is the fifth issue in.

Nah that's actually what I kind of meant with that. Hunger already laid the groundwork so I was pleasantly surprised that Cataclysm didn't bother recapping any of it it just rolled right along.

d00gZ posted:

It wasted no time getting into the premise, but it sure wasted time getting into something resembling a loving story.

Yeah that was my main problem with it. Im giving the USM tie-in a shot and maybe the next one but I hope they start doing something with the story aside from the bare minimum.

That said, the cover for the UXM tie-in is awesome

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 7, 2013

• Locked thread