Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

LesterGroans posted:

Locked room mystery + Liam Neeson Action movie...

Why the gently caress not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiHDJ19A3dk
First the texts popping up on sceen and then Corey Stoll turns up. Some guy has been watching House of Cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

LesterGroans posted:

Taken 3: This time he means business (class)

Barf Wight posted:

First the texts popping up on sceen and then Corey Stoll turns up. Some guy has been watching House of Cards.
Texts onscreen goes back at the very least 8 years ago

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zenintrude posted:

4:3... Anderson's gone hog wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk

Looks like he's tapping into Jeunet's style a bit.

That looks goddamn incredible.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

LesterGroans posted:

The bluest of movies.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Taken 3: This time he means business (class)

Texts onscreen goes back at the very least 8 years ago
Really? I mean I've seen it before House of Cards but I can't say I've seen it used anywhere near as much as in that show. I do prefer it over close-ups of tiny screens and big grubby hands.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As far as Western shows go, BBC's Sherlock was doing it in 2010

Densha Otoko is the earliest I can recall electronic messages on screen, it was a Japanese series in 2005, although instead of just using SMS they were also putting up emails, chats, and forum posts. It kicked off an annoying trend in Japanese shows which copied the technique and overused it.

If you want to go farther back and include handwritten journal entries on screen, there's Bridget Jones' Diary (2001)

As for what's better... I guess it depends on a case by case basis. There's a slight disruption to the flow of a scene either way whether you're switching the camera to look at the phone's screen diagetically or compositing a distracting-for-not-being-possible-IRL SMS message up on screen. Having it composited at least allows you to show a dozen texts at the same time, like Sherlock does in the example above...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 17, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Budapest looks amazing! Cannot loving wait! Fiennes, as noted, looks like he's having a great loving time - drat, he's so goddamn charming.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Densha Otoko is the earliest I can recall electronic messages on screen, it was a Japanese series in 2005, although instead of just using SMS they were also putting up emails, chats, and forum posts. It kicked off an annoying trend in Japanese shows which copied the technique and overused it.

If you want to go farther back and include handwritten journal entries on screen, there's Bridget Jones' Diary (2001)

As for what's better... I guess it depends on a case by case basis. There's a slight disruption to the flow of a scene either way whether you're switching the camera to look at the phone's screen diagetically or compositing a distracting-for-not-being-possible-IRL SMS message up on screen. Having it composited at least allows you to show a dozen texts at the same time, like Sherlock does in the example above...

I feel like most people in the entertainment industry are still kind of struggling with how to show/utilize current technological advancements in an interesting way. It's why every lazy horror movie goes "AND THERE WAS NO CELL SERVICE" or whatever.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Well how about that, consider me educated. I haven't seen any of the stuff you mentioned, so I guess I was just reminded of HoC when that stuff and Corey Stoll popped up.

I like the example from Sherlock, you get what it is immediately and it doesn't feel that out of place.

I feel a lot of the time those close-ups of phones or tablets or what have you are very obviously product placement, where the logos on the device seem to be glowing. A lot of American shows do that, I think.

House of Cards doesn't go whole-hog with it either iirc, they'll do a shot of a phone to lead in to the texts-on-screen stuff and I think it works pretty well there. From a technical standpoint at least.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Jesus christ, that Budapest cast is absolutely bonkers. Can't wait.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's one scene in the trailer with Ed Norton that feels just like a scene in Moonlight Kingdom. That's the trouble with reusing actors and having a distinctive dialog style.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Jesus christ, that Budapest cast is absolutely bonkers. Can't wait.

The punching scene had me in stitches. Looks great.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I still want Wes Anderson to make that globetrotting mystery movie from the mastercard commercial just to see how he'd do it.

Also it'd probably be good.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 18, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

LesterGroans posted:

"Non-Stop" might as well be the title of Liam Neeson's biography at this point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I get that Anderson is making a stylistic choice with the 4:3 but that trailer just annoyed the poo poo out of me with its narrowness. It looks super cramped to me. I dunno, it just does not work for me at all. Our eyes are next to each other, so it makes sense with a wide field of view.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Carthag posted:

I get that Anderson is making a stylistic choice with the 4:3 but that trailer just annoyed the poo poo out of me with its narrowness. It looks super cramped to me. I dunno, it just does not work for me at all. Our eyes are next to each other, so it makes sense with a wide field of view.

I just don't see any benefit to it. Feels like someone using a loving cassette tape to try to be cool or whatever. It actively degrades the quality of a composition to me. Not enough to, like, not enjoy the movie... but enough to where it annoys me that somebody made that decision consciously.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Anderson has also done wonderful work with very wide ratios, so I don't think he's just trying to be a cutesy contrarian here.

Just because 4:3 TVs have faded from the market doesn't mean that ratio is somehow withered technology or whatever. It still functions, you can still compose beautifully within it. It's one of many optional elements of film format.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He's not just doing it willy nilly. I mean, look how snug each of these looks, without looking like they randomly cropped a widescreen movie for tv. In fact, it looks like they're using the edges of the frame as "walls" to lean back on, etc, as if we're peering into a shoebox diorama:

There's also an emphasis on perfectly framing the picture around objects that are also 4x3. IMO probably the main reason for the decision. I mean, look at these and imagine how sloppy they would look in cinemascope!...

:nws:

The boxy image also emphasizes vertical height, high ceilings:

What's odd then, are the few widescreen shots in the trailer: These are cinemascope:

And then this one is 16x9. Perhaps they will crop these for the final film. You can easily see how the door jambs around F Murray Abraham and Jude Law, and the curtains around Tom Wilkinson would make a 4x3 frame.

The majority of the trailer is drawing attention to the fact that it's 4x3, but is doing it intentionally and making the most of it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 19, 2013

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I do get it, but where you see snug, I see cramped.

The last three shots look way better to me, much more breathing room for the central action.

E: The images are nicely composed if he's going for cramped/snug, but I'd get claustrophobia I think if I'd have to watch it

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 19, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don't disagree that it's cramped. "Snug" is definitely "cramped" compared to "roomy." Where I disagree is the idea that "cramped" has to be a bad thing.

The feeling of slight discomfort from the uncommon aspect ratio might translate well into feeling uncomfortable watching awkward people.

But who knows, that's just conjecture until the movie comes out.

Carthag posted:

IE: The images are nicely composed if he's going for cramped/snug, but I'd get claustrophobia I think if I'd have to watch it
Ok, fair enough

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I know you said fair enough, but I gave it some more thought. It's like he puts every element of the scene into the camera. It might be the point of the trailer, but in "normal" 4:3 movies, there's panning and stuff, here we have 3+ characters onscreen, standing up right next to each other, plus the backdrop &c.

I'm not claustrophobic, and I don't feel this way about older movies at all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Another thing is that in traditional 4x3 you'd have people's heads placed about 2/3 of the way up the screen, whereas here he's filling up the space in several shots and cramming them so that their heads are almost at the top of the screen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Steve Yun posted:

Another thing is that in traditional 4x3 you'd have people's heads placed about 2/3 of the way up the screen, whereas here he's filling up the space in several shots and cramming them so that their heads are almost at the top of the screen.

You know what, that too might be part of it for me actually. There's no room around anything, he's filling the screen too much for me.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It looks like the film has been specifically composed for 1.37 academy, wich is sliiiightly wider than 4x3. Anderson has composed shots using all the available space on the film negative, i.e. not matted for widescreen or shot with anamorphic lenses.

fake edit: just found this article, which explains that "Anderson reportedly shot the movie in three different aspect ratios, 1.33, 1.85, and 2.35:1, as is explained in Matt Zoller Seitz’s new book, The Wes Anderson Collection - “The movie jumps through three time periods,”"

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

What's odd then, are the few widescreen shots in the trailer: These are cinemascope... And then this one is 16x9. Perhaps they will crop these for the final film.

Nah, the movie's in three different aspect ratios. What's throwing me is that a lot of these 4:3 shots look like actual pan-and-scan. Look at the broadcast tower at the edge of the frame in this cap; what's going on there?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
That is a ski lift.

Also, I haven't seen anyone post the second trailer for Out of the Furnace, which I think is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJH4Nf4jcLg

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Max22 posted:

Nah, the movie's in three different aspect ratios. What's throwing me is that a lot of these 4:3 shots look like actual pan-and-scan. Look at the broadcast tower at the edge of the frame in this cap; what's going on there?

The shooting three different aspect ratios as the movie moves through time has me really interested now.

On a separate issue, the goon habit of starting sentences with "nah,..." is ridiculously irritating. It's so pompously dismissive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nah, he was answering my question and I don't think he was being dismissive or anything

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Steve Yun posted:

Aspect ratio chat

Explanation for aspect ratios - spoilered just in case:

From Slate - "One of the most striking things about the trailer is the aspect ratio (that is, the dimensions of the image): It appears to be 4:3 (or 1.33:1) throughout. Anderson reportedly shot the movie in three different aspect ratios, 1.33, 1.85, and 2.35:1, as is explained in Matt Zoller Seitz’s new book, The Wes Anderson Collection. “The movie jumps through three time periods,” the book explains, and “the different aspect ratios tell viewers where they are in the timeline.” Anderson told Seitz that he had always wanted to shoot a movie in the old 1.33:1 ratio, for “the tallness” of it. “We considered shooting Tenenbaums that way,” he says, “because the house is vertical.”"

Not sure if variable aspect ratios is the most...intuitive way to alert the viewer of different time periods, but at least its different.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey guys, there's a new Paranormal Activity movie coming soon. It looks silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J39iyK_aqDE

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

Hey guys, there's a new Paranormal Activity movie coming soon. It looks silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J39iyK_aqDE

Hm. I really liked the first three, but the way they keep trying to build on this story just isn't working. And they're just ramping up the action even though the appeal of the movies was their subtlety.

Also one of the last shots in that trailer where the girls have black eyes looks really lovely.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't remember the last time I saw Harvey Keitel in a movie. Can't wait for Budapest Hotel.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

davidspackage posted:

Hm. I really liked the first three, but the way they keep trying to build on this story just isn't working. And they're just ramping up the action even though the appeal of the movies was their subtlety.

This exact sentence could have been said 7 years ago about the Saw franchise.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

CaptainHollywood posted:

This exact sentence could have been said 7 years ago about the Saw franchise.

Did you just call Saw 1, 2 and 3 "subtle"?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Jewmanji posted:

Did you just call Saw 1, 2 and 3 "subtle"?

In comparison to 4 and beyond- yes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LesterGroans posted:

Going into that trailer blind, I'm actually... really pumped to see that movie based on that trailer. Maybe I'm a sucker for "thrillers set on airplanes" (Passenger 57, Executive Decision, Air Force One, Red Eye) and I didn't realize it until just now, but that trailer hit every mark for me.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
There's a bootleg Noah trailer out there.

Very 'Biblical Epic' look to it, which is what it is I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red_Museum posted:

There's a bootleg Noah trailer out there.

Very 'Biblical Epic' look to it, which is what it is I guess.

Its up as of this post at that link. Its a pretty poor quality video of a movie screen so some of the darker stuff at the end gets kind of lost. The trailer looks kind of mundane, except for some hints are some more supernatural parts.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Captain America: The Winter Soldier official trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Alehkhs posted:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier official trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

Yay, Redford playing a CIA spook

What's up with the new costume? Is this going to be a grimdark Captain America

• Locked thread