Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Really glad to know they're working on "Martial Arts" which is totally a crystal clear way of saying something when you're using that term for like three things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Things that stand out to me:
  • Exalts start at Essence 1 now
  • Willpower still goes from 1-10, but QCs with high Will should start a bit low, to reflect day-to-day strain
  • Default health track looks the same as in any Storyteller game
  • Pre-Excellency dicepools look quite similar to what we had in earlier editions
  • Resolve and Guile look to be 3E's replacements for DMDV and PMDV
  • Damage for weapons starts high and has a narrow spread - in either category (normal/artifact), the difference between Light and Heavy is only four points
  • Armor, however, is all over the place. Light, nonmagical armor has 2 soak while Heavy has 8; Artifact is even broader, with 4 soak at the low end and 12 at the high.
  • Strength continues to be a flat +damage, and even the bonus from a light weapon is larger than that from having Strength 5
  • Stamina is added directly to soak, now that the Bashing/Lethal division no longer exists in soak

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
You missed something that sang out to me: Combat Movement being rendered in dice form. That should be interesting to find out more about.

Also, all Exalts start at Essence 1, no matter the edition. It's why there are some charms with Minimum Essence 1. It's just that the game assumes you have a few months of seasoning under your belt. I assume it's the same case here. Though it'd be interesting if they did move things down to Essence 1 to start with. As long as Sorcery isn't behind an Essence wall.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 24, 2013

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

BryanChavez posted:

As long as Sorcery isn't behind an Essence wall.

You don't have to wait for Ess3 for Sorcery anymore, and Mortals will also be able to become sorcerers.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This is neat stuff. I like how short the description of the ad hoc charm is. Looks like Defense isn't rolled, since it doesn't have the word "dice" following it. I'm slightly worried by what a big difference your traits seem to make to your attack pool rather than your attack damage, but they've surely found some way to stop dexterity being the ultimate stat this time around. I mean, right? They must know. Yeah?

I wonder why Join Battle's a roll rather than a static value you add a d10 to. I have this theory that it helps to determine how much combat advantage/momentum/whateveryoucallit you start with.

cenotaph posted:

Really glad to know they're working on "Martial Arts" which is totally a crystal clear way of saying something when you're using that term for like three things.

It's COMPLETELY UNREAL how much clearer it would be if there was a Brawl or Unarmed skill and e.g. Snake Style techniques allow you to wield hook swords with your brawl skill because it treats the weapons as an extensions of your body, or whatever.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 25, 2013

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

"Brawl" seems like it would be the superior option to me because it avoids the similar issue of "unarmed" meaning multiple different things depending on context.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Being they've been saying "Dodge is done" and "Melee is done" and "We're working on Archery" I'm going to say "Martial Arts" = the charm set in this instance. Context clues!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Boy, they sure seem to want to warn you away from using this on major NPCs, Because the rear end scratching stat on your recurring villain is vital to have recorded.

Also it is extremely silly to list combat stats for non-combatants. If your dawn caste wants to cut the guild merchant in half, say "you sure do!" Don't make everybody sit and watch as you roll a forgone conclusion.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

axelsoar posted:

Boy, they sure seem to want to warn you away from using this on major NPCs, Because the rear end scratching stat on your recurring villain is vital to have recorded.

Also it is extremely silly to list combat stats for non-combatants. If your dawn caste wants to cut the guild merchant in half, say "you sure do!" Don't make everybody sit and watch as you roll a forgone conclusion.

In the combat chapter, we have a sidebar about skipping the combat system if it'd be a waste of time.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

BryanChavez posted:

You missed something that sang out to me: Combat Movement being rendered in dice form. That should be interesting to find out more about.

Also, all Exalts start at Essence 1, no matter the edition. It's why there are some charms with Minimum Essence 1. It's just that the game assumes you have a few months of seasoning under your belt. I assume it's the same case here. Though it'd be interesting if they did move things down to Essence 1 to start with. As long as Sorcery isn't behind an Essence wall.

Can you source that? I'm pretty sure in 2e, when you Exalt, your Essence goes to 2, doesn't it?

Charms with Essence requirements of 1 are there because there are more things that check off of Ess req than just "Can you learn this?"

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Stephenls posted:

In the combat chapter, we have a sidebar about skipping the combat system if it'd be a waste of time.

I should loving hope so. When the angry, essence 5 dawn caste says he starts killing villagers, I don't ask him to roll join battle, I just ask "how many?"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Stephenls posted:

What confuses me is the liminal state between handwaving combat and rolling out combat where you roll out combat but some of the guys aren't allowed to benefit from the momentum (or whatever you call it) rules. I think one of the devs used an example of Raksi herself swinging a daiklave at a random soldier.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Heart Attacks posted:

Can you source that? I'm pretty sure in 2e, when you Exalt, your Essence goes to 2, doesn't it?

Charms with Essence requirements of 1 are there because there are more things that check off of Ess req than just "Can you learn this?"

Yeah, 2e Exalts start as Essence 2, regardless of how fresh they are. It's only mortals and mundane critters that are stuck at Ess 1, though it sounds like they're doing away with that.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Heart Attacks posted:

Exalted 1e corebook, pg. 147: "Solars fresh from their Exaltation and most normal mortals have Essence scores of one. Normal mortals almost never rise above Essence 1, but most Exalted quickly master their internal Essence, rising to Essence 2 or 3."

I assumed the same was the case for Exalted 2e, but I'm clearly full of poo poo, or read it in something other than the core, as the core makes it clearly that newly-exalted Solars are Essence 2.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ferrinus posted:

What confuses me is the liminal state between handwaving combat and rolling out combat where you roll out combat but some of the guys aren't allowed to benefit from the momentum (or whatever you call it) rules. I think one of the devs used an example of Raksi herself swinging a daiklave at a random soldier.

That also gets a sidebar.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Stephenls posted:

Well color me impressed!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Exalted 3rd Edition: We have a sidebar for that.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

axelsoar posted:

Well color me impressed!

Yeah, I know it sounds kinda stupid in this context—"Don't worry, we have a bit that reminds people not to break the game!" Sidebars are great for illustrating the purpose of certain mechanics and ideas, though.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Handwave things with a 0 chance of success" just seems like common sense, but I guess the question is if the system/math is clear enough for new Storytellers to be able to recognize when there's no point to rolling.

Also sometimes rolling for ridiculous overkill is just fun.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

mistaya posted:

"Handwave things with a 0 chance of success" just seems like common sense, but I guess the question is if the system/math is clear enough for new Storytellers to be able to recognize when there's no point to rolling.

Also sometimes rolling for ridiculous overkill is just fun.

The thing about common sense is that it's only common sense once you figure it out. Codifying this sort of thing for people who come to the game assuming that the combat system should be used for every instance of people fighting can only help.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
It's not hand waving. Trivial opponents, noncombatants, and using systems other than the combat system for resolving physical conflict where the full combat system is overkill all get mechanical support, albeit fairly rules-light (because otherwise what would be the point?). It's just expressed in sidebars in the combat chapter rather than as categories of being in the antagonists section.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It's still useful to have a lighter combat system. Combat is fun for a lot of players, so being able to curbstomp spectacularly a horde of mooks without having to go full investment is a plus.

axelsoar posted:

Probably consistency issues with recurring, major NPCs. If they're going to be on screen for more than half an hour it's probably worthwhile to give them are more involved statblock.

veekie fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 28, 2013

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Eh. The quick NPC rules look robust enough to make both unimportant and important NPCs, and since neither myself nor my players make any distinction between the two, I'm probably just going to be using it for every character. I don't know if a character is important until they end up being so, and I don't know how long they'll stay important once they achieve that status. There's no time to be playing Schrodinger's NPC with every character that shows up in my games.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The thought that I'm still going to be having to count NPC mote pools - even with quick NPCs - is making me cringe a bit. I guess it was inevitable, I just was hoping to leave mote accounting out of the picture this time.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The thought that I'm still going to be having to count NPC mote pools - even with quick NPCs - is making me cringe a bit. I guess it was inevitable, I just was hoping to leave mote accounting out of the picture this time.

I generally just say 'they can use X charm Y times per scene'.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

I generally just say 'they can use X charm Y times per scene'.

Given what little we've learned about 3E mote regeneration I'd probably go with: "A quick character of X type/Y Essence can spend Z motes per turn."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I'd much prefer "x motes per turn", it's what I came up with for the trimmed-down Exalted I worked on briefly.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

If you're in the Jacksonville Florida area there's a playtest game. No other details.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Yeah this quick NPC system isn't doing much for me. It's already more complicated than it has to be and it doesn't do much to help with essence/charm users. It would be nice to have something like sample combat packages to give NPCS. For example Wyld Hunt Package #1 gives a damage booster, a soak enhancer, and an elemental blast whereas Wyld Hunt Package #2 gives an Onslaught increasing charm, an elemental blast, and a Defend Other charm.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Ithle01 posted:

Yeah this quick NPC system isn't doing much for me. It's already more complicated than it has to be and it doesn't do much to help with essence/charm users. It would be nice to have something like sample combat packages to give NPCS. For example Wyld Hunt Package #1 gives a damage booster, a soak enhancer, and an elemental blast whereas Wyld Hunt Package #2 gives an Onslaught increasing charm, an elemental blast, and a Defend Other charm.

Not having a sample of combat, this late in the game, concerns me greatly. I mean the whole reason they went to Third Edition was to re-do combat essentially. If they can't show a snippet of what they are working on then I am thinking there wasn't that much improvement.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

The absolute most baffling thing I've ever seen in my entire life, no exaggeration or hyperbole at all, is when one of the developers explained that the reason for being so tight-lipped about previews is to maintain the sense of surprise of reading the new edition of the game. Because I know that what I want above all from Exalted is it surprising me. That's worked out well so far.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

BryanChavez posted:

The absolute most baffling thing I've ever seen in my entire life, no exaggeration or hyperbole at all, is when one of the developers explained that the reason for being so tight-lipped about previews is to maintain the sense of surprise of reading the new edition of the game. Because I know that what I want above all from Exalted is it surprising me. That's worked out well so far.

The only plausible thing I could see is that they release a small snippet (Example of someone swinging at another dude) and then others reverse engineer it to what they have already set. So maybe they are afraid of losing sales? I know I would probably still buy the third edition book but I probably wouldn't be so inclined if the only thing I wanted out of it was a fixed combat system.

Even this reason is stretching, I know.

I also said it once and I'll say it again. I am really disliking the way they are updating. I mean, I appreciate they are more active about it. But does anyone besides the developers know what charm trees are done and which are still beginning? Which ones are in editing and which ones are still play testing?

I mean, I don't think I am asking for much to see a graphics bar not unlike the one they have on their site that shows the progress of each edition. Even if it would be inaccurate or maybe a bold faced lie, I think I would like that better then them saying "Yeah Archery is totally done. Still working on that Melee". At least that way I can say "Ok, they are done with Melee, cool. Not much left to go." Also helps build anticipation for release, to me anyway.

They could just do chapters... show a percentage bar for those even, I don't even need the charm by charm play out of whats ready. :(

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Honestly, it's getting to the point where I wonder if they're actually anywhere near as far along as they're saying. I mean, that charm mentioned in the QC preview referenced an Onslaught Penalty. Weren't those supposed to be going away, what with all that multiattacks hosed combat balance in earlier editions?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'd actually hope that 3E has mechanics which discourage focus fire rather than mechanics which encourage it (yes, okay, those were coordination penalties or some other word I forget). If three people fight three other people, I'd prefer to see them pair off than to see A, B, and C all attempt to kill 1 while 1, 2, and 3 all attempt to kill A due to mathematics.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

With their Momentum rules, it wouldn't even be difficult to implement rules to do that. Make it much less efficient and/or risky to build up Momentum on someone that's already getting Momentum built up by someone else. Or however that's supposed to work, it'd be really great to know. I might be assuming that the rules are way better than they are, and I'm growing increasingly concerned about this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BryanChavez posted:

I might be assuming that the rules are way better than they are, and I'm growing increasingly concerned about this.
This is where my money is, honestly. They've told us that the rules are totally awesome and much better than before, but they haven't backed this up. At all.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'm actually quite confident that the combat system is going to be good, because as far as I can tell all the devs have the same frustrations with it the rest of us do. I think they're literally afraid of their crraaAAAzzy online fanbase exaggerating all the flaws in a beta document and poisoning the world's image of Exalted forever! Never mind that they got ten billion dollars in eighteen minutes or whatever.

They should really just show us the freakin' combat system and then keep all their sweet charms and setting expansions behind the paywall, or similar.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I've talked with Holden about this. When he says he's keeping secrets because he wants to inspire the Christmas morning moment when the .pdfs are released and everybody unwraps them to see what's inside all at once, rather than having it parceled out in dribs and drabs to the point where you pretty much know the entire contents via extrapolation, he's not lying to cover for some other motive. It's weird, I'll give you that! That is not a thing that people do anymore, really!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
He is the type of guy that just likes to shove it all in upfront and hard, rather than take his time and build it up eh?

Now where have I seen that before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

I can very much understand the sense of wonder that comes from experiencing something in its wholeness for the first time. I just recently listened to Anais Mitchell's Hadestown, and I was lost in it for days. The first time I saw Jesus Christ Superstar in the theater, I was overwhelmed. Obviously, for me, aural experiences are more capable of doing this than anything. To see something in all its grandeur, taking it all in at once, can be a very amazing experience. I'm not denying that, in any way, shape, or form.

But these are loving game mechanics, not my first visit to the Louvre. I don't care about the experience. I care if they work.

• Locked thread