Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It seems like they're pushing the Mac is Gay plot further and further, it feels like, with all the subtle hints and jabs. I wonder if that's going to actually be a thing eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah two favorite parts of this episode were everything to do with the gasoline huffing (That is definitely gasoline) and Mac and Dennis's stare/dance off as they moved closer to each other.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
This was easily the weakest episode this season but I still enjoyed it.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
When I was a kid, how you felt about Police Academy movies was a general indicator of your intelligence. It was OK to like the first one, maybe the second one too -- if you liked any after that, you were a moron. Playing the theme from it was a great way to give the audience a wink and nod to remind you that, hey, they're fuckin' dumb. (Just in case the gashuffing scenes didn't convince you.)

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Last season and this season have been on some insanely high level of quality thats blowing my mind. I love it!

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Great episode, but somehow slightly disappointing - I think just given what has come before. The Mac-Dennis uncomfortable homoerotic stare-off was loving hilarious, though.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
"Do I have to put on training wheels for this conversation or what's going on?" had me rolling, that burn was hilarious.

Really bummed The League keeps getting previews over the end music, don't sully Police Academy with an unfunny show :argh:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you analyze what he was actually saying versus how many words he was employing to convey said concepts, you could easily see that he was engaging in what is a time-honored tradition among faux-intellectuals given an environment that gives them an opportunity to showcase their supposed intellect, ie, using many words and synonyms to obfuscate the fact that he is in fact trying to say something extremely simple.
nice try stupid science bitch

couldn't make I smarter

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

Me too. I knew something ridiculous was going to be under the sheet, and I burst out laughing when his "invention" was revealed. Charlie's illiteracy and insanity is always good for a chuckle.

The only problem I had with the reveal is that the network showed that clip in a commercial right before the episode started.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I like how often the writers totally subvert a trope that no matter how many times I watch Sunny I never learn to not expect. I read the episode preview and was upset that it "spoiled" that the Gang was upset over having to do Charlie work, so I totally expected them to mess with Charlie's pills and the episode would end on this bittersweet note where Charlie is accepted again and is happy but what could have been? Especially if the Waitress liked him as an intellectual. And then Frank disliking new Charlie really seemed to seal the deal.

Nope. Just fake pills and Charlie was being an rear end in a top hat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Odd that The League basically did Flowers for Taco immediately following this.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

gret posted:

I knew there was a reason why I couldn't understand a word of Mandarin Charlie was trying to say.

I was confused why Charlie was talking gibberish because all I got was bu lai and you shenme and such here and there. I am not a smart man.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 24, 2013

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

TUS posted:

Last season and this season have been on some insanely high level of quality thats blowing my mind. I love it!

Seriously, it's mind-blowing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, starting with "The Gang Dines Out" last season until now, every episode has been on par, if not better than their best stuff. The only exception, in my opinion, is "Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare", but even that episode was pretty great. It's mastery, and I would put this season up against the best seasons of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Louie, which are my favorite comedies.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I know it gets said again and again but I couldn't have more of a different opinion. Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare is my favorite episode of the season. The season was fan loving tactic but that one in particular I keep researching.

"See, you got got. We gon get.

Yeah, we don't get got. We go get."

And the running camcorder gag shamelessly stolen from Arrested Develoment.

And the Gang thinking that Frank is some mastermind running poo poo behind the scenes like in Gun Fever Top when in this one he really was just stuck in a goddamn coil. Really shows the dual hilarious nature of Frank. Super savvy businessman but also crazy perverted degenerate.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

picosecond posted:

When I was a kid, how you felt about Police Academy movies was a general indicator of your intelligence. It was OK to like the first one, maybe the second one too -- if you liked any after that, you were a moron. Playing the theme from it was a great way to give the audience a wink and nod to remind you that, hey, they're fuckin' dumb. (Just in case the gashuffing scenes didn't convince you.)

A couple years ago, I was working on a long weekend with one other guys and we knew that there was going to be jack poo poo to do for work, so he brought in his media box and over the course of 2 days we watched the entire Police Academy series. Now, I've run 6 marathons, and they require a lot out of you, but nothing compares to the mental endurance one requires for a Police Academy marathon.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Zsinjeh posted:

"Do I have to put on training wheels for this conversation or what's going on?" had me rolling, that burn was hilarious.

Really bummed The League keeps getting previews over the end music, don't sully Police Academy with an unfunny show :argh:
:laffo: Charlie played an arrogant dick so well. Stephen Hawking being a 'Lady Gaga' type, that is total science bitch talk!

Frank's talk about Charlie being the foundation was so good as well, started of sorta sweet but then went dark with "where does the foundation belong?"

Also I have a question for you guys, regarding episode 100. Charlie and The Waitress has kids (from the Baby Store), those kids then show up later with kids of their own. Did all the Charlie Juniors and Waitress Juniors have kids with each other?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Barf Wight posted:

Also I have a question for you guys, regarding episode 100. Charlie and The Waitress has kids (from the Baby Store), those kids then show up later with kids of their own. Did all the Charlie Juniors and Waitress Juniors have kids with each other?
They got them at the Baby Store, duh.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Found it weird that the waitress just reached for the whine like it's no big deal despite being an alcoholic.
I think the trailer ruined this episode for me. It revealed the spydar scene, so the first time they showed Charlie doing science stuff I figured out it's a placebo. Which is a funny word.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Found it weird that the waitress just reached for the whine like it's no big deal despite being an alcoholic.
I think the trailer ruined this episode for me. It revealed the spydar scene, so the first time they showed Charlie doing science stuff I figured out it's a placebo. Which is a funny word.

Yeah, the episode would have been more enjoyable for me if the trailer RIGHT BEFORE THE EPISODE STARTED hadn't blown the spydar reveal. Still a great episode though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

She reached for it but didn't actually drink it.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I'm surprised that all it takes is Frank paying her to have dinner with Charlie. Knowing that Frank is loaded and he likes Charlie so much, you'd think the guy would be paying for a while marriage.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

when mac says "cat keeps getting hurt" when they're watching that cartoon, i lose it. just absolutely perfect line delivery

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Advice posted:

I'm surprised that all it takes is Frank paying her to have dinner with Charlie. Knowing that Frank is loaded and he likes Charlie so much, you'd think the guy would be paying for a while marriage.

But then Frank would lose Charlie, and it wouldn't benefit Frank in any way.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
That ridiculous grin Dee gives after she lets go of the mouse trap was amazing. I'm a little surprised several people here actually thought Charlie was getting smarter though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I was back and forth on whether it was a placebo or not until the final scene. I was thinking it obviously was until he seemed to actually be speaking Mandarin. Knowing zero Mandarin myself it sounded convincing enough, and the assistant guy was playing off him as if it was real so I doubted myself.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
The best part is that IIRC, the assistant never acknowledged that Charlie was getting smarter. He spoke at him in Mandarin, possibly saying something like, "You are speaking gibberish." and when Charlie asked how much he thought his IQ had grown by, the assistant deflected the question and asked, "How much do YOU think it's grown by?".

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

DNova posted:

But then Frank would lose Charlie, and it wouldn't benefit Frank in any way.

Right, the whole reason Frank wanted to distract Charlie from his intellectual pursuits is because they were getting in the way of Gruesome Twosome time.

neckbeard posted:

A couple years ago, I was working on a long weekend with one other guys and we knew that there was going to be jack poo poo to do for work, so he brought in his media box and over the course of 2 days we watched the entire Police Academy series. Now, I've run 6 marathons, and they require a lot out of you, but nothing compares to the mental endurance one requires for a Police Academy marathon.

I tried rewatching some Police Academy a few months ago, they were dumb fun as a kid, but I couldn't get past the off-the-charts minstrel show levels of homophobia in the running gag with the Blue Oyster gay bar. Ah, the 1980s.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Condiv posted:

when mac says "cat keeps getting hurt" when they're watching that cartoon, i lose it. just absolutely perfect line delivery

We're trying to watch cat and mouse cartoons to find out how kitty cats deal with their rat issues.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Harry posted:

That ridiculous grin Dee gives after she lets go of the mouse trap was amazing. I'm a little surprised several people here actually thought Charlie was getting smarter though.

The gang being so stupid in this episode (especially Dee doing that Homer Simpson level joke of holding onto the trap) made the episode feel off, which is why I started to think maybe they were going strange and actually making Charlie smarter.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I also love how on no other show in history, including Seinfeld, the reigning champ of "show about terrible people", has this level of debauchery been played off as totally normal. The loving gang just spent an entire episode huffing gasoline and the last episode was about how they are all such awful alcoholics that they're experiencing massive withdrawals.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Ithaqua posted:

Me too. I knew something ridiculous was going to be under the sheet, and I burst out laughing when his "invention" was revealed. Charlie's illiteracy and insanity is always good for a chuckle.

Holy poo poo, I nearly died from that scene as it just hit on so many levels.

First, the idea of a cat talking to a spider. Second, the "invention" just being two glass cages with phones taped to them connected by string. "Spydar" and also, it wasn't even a real spider in the cage.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

You must excuse me, I've grown quite weary.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Senor Tron posted:

The gang being so stupid in this episode (especially Dee doing that Homer Simpson level joke of holding onto the trap) made the episode feel off, which is why I started to think maybe they were going strange and actually making Charlie smarter.

They only got hyper-stupid after they started huffing gas for like an hour. She wasn't originally holding onto the trap, this is how it went:

- Dee sticks her hand into the hole, gets hand stuck on trap
- They go get the gasoline to pour on the trap to get her unstuck, but they all huff it for like an hour and lose their minds
- Eventually they pour it onto the trap but at that point Dee is too dumb to let go of it and they say gently caress it and put on cartoons.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Requesting gif of Dennis and Mac oscillating to the romantic music while locking eyes and Mac subtly moves toward Dennis at the end.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

The only bad thing about the episode was that it seemed to borrow quite a few Simpsons/Futurama jokes,

What was there besides the holding on to the trap gag? It's weird that this was the GoT writers episode. I definitely would not have picked up on that if someone didn't mention it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Always love it when the genuine love (and/or the 'need' to keep him as a low foundation) Frank has for Charlie shows up. Like trying to learn Mandarin so he can keep up with Charlie just so he can be his friend is :3: as gently caress.

Come on, we're the Gruesome Twosome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHQcvqaHpoY

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Zsinjeh posted:

Always love it when the genuine love (and/or the 'need' to keep him as a low foundation) Frank has for Charlie shows up. Like trying to learn Mandarin so he can keep up with Charlie just so he can be his friend is :3: as gently caress.

Come on, we're the Gruesome Twosome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHQcvqaHpoY

Cue the "Frank is Charlie's father" speculation again. :v:

One of the great things about this show is that it's often very tough to tell if something is bullshit or genuine (or genuine bullshit). They like to play with the established clichés and poke at them... kind of like scientists and lab rats. :3:

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

ShadyNasty posted:

The Mac-Dennis uncomfortable homoerotic stare-off was loving hilarious, though.

I'd put this on the same level as the 'implication' speech, was just so perfect.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't know how to make smooth loops.

full cut (~7mb) https://mega.co.nz/#!1BJGXaqT!Ezd-ckjidk3JEDqqW7qnnx9sUBNf1cb4-HCUXws1Qqk

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I love Dennis' little smirk like he was so close to breaking character. I would love to see some extra takes of this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I love Dennis' little smirk like he was so close to breaking character. I would love to see some extra takes of this scene.
He was trying to get off