Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Look like they were done by someone who has no idea how to paint. My god those are horrible. Paint is caked up really bad on the back of that squint. Makes me sad to see this because the factory paint jobs are actually on par with an amateur painter, that is to say, are not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Kilazar posted:

Look like they were done by someone who has no idea how to paint. My god those are horrible. Paint is caked up really bad on the back of that squint. Makes me sad to see this because the factory paint jobs are actually on par with an amateur painter, that is to say, are not bad.

He's considering taking commissions!

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Luebbi posted:

A friend of mine and I just pooled together for a nice used lot of X-Wing stuff! For 100 € we got:

2 base games
2 Tie Interceptor
1 Tie Advanced
1 A Wing
1 X Wing
1 Y Wing
and the Millenium Falcon and Slave 1.

Two questions: one, can you guys suggest some starting matchups that aren't too advanced, but not just the bare basics (X-Wing vs 2 TIEs) either? We're used to tabletop games and I think I've got a pretty good grasp of the rules, so I'd like to start with 2-3 ships per side, perhaps one base game + TIE interceptor/A-Wing.

Two, from what I've seen so far the game seems pretty simple and rules-light. That's fine for something to play inbetween, but does it have enough staying power to keep you interested after the first couple of games?

If you can, get a Tie expansion. Not having Howlrunner really hurts a lot of imperial builds.

With that set, rebels have a lot more options because imperials are short a few ships.

Rebels could do Han Shot First that I posted earlier or Wedge, Bigg's and Luke X-Wings. These would probably whip any imperial list you could put together with what you have though.

For Imperial, maybe something like:

Soontir Fel with Push the Limit/Stealth Device
Krassis with Heavy Laser Cannon
Academy Pilot x2

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Devlan Mud posted:

He's considering taking commissions!

Wait wait.. so you are telling me that I can take commissions and make money off of my lovely paint jobs? Mind you, my paint jobs are probably a thousand times better than those pictures.

Who needs an x-wing painted!!!! j/k

I played a 200 point game that turned out pretty well. I ran (may not be exact but will be close) Kath w/HLC/Gunner, Jendon w/HLC/Engi, Gamma bomber x2 w/ptorp/conc/cluster. Soonter Fel w/PTL/Stealth, Academy Pilot x2.

Pitted against Wedge, Red Sq x3, A-wing prot pilot, 2 decked out b-wings. One of them Ten Nieb with that drat thing that makes you cancel one hit die roll.

Soonter Fel with an SD and PTL is a beast. I lost him at the very end of the game due to a mis maneuver that ended in a contact. So he had no action while two ships had bearing on him. The shuttle actually made it through the whole game. Bombers got to offload most of their payload. The only thing I had a problem with was that stupid ten nieb with that sensor thing. On top of the cancelling one damage rolled, I just kept getting lovely rolls on his rear end.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 19, 2013

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

While they're certainly on the messy side, and the idea of him being paid to do that to someone's ships is laughable, at least he tried.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah I guess but the default paints look a ton better than that.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Looking at shapeways there are some nice models available...

Does the TIE defender have any rules yet?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

cat with hands posted:

Looking at shapeways there are some nice models available...

Does the TIE defender have any rules yet?

6s down the line for stats
2 of every upgrade slot except crew, turret, and astromech
Generic pilot with PS 6 for, let's say 25 points?

Still wouldn't be an accurate representation of how broken that ship was.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

6s down the line for stats
2 of every upgrade slot except crew, turret, and astromech
Generic pilot with PS 6 for, let's say 25 points?

Still wouldn't be an accurate representation of how broken that ship was.

Looked this up (on wookiepedia god help me), having not played X-Wing vs Tie Fighter for a long time.

To start with, that is a derpy looking ship.

So it has literally double the shielding of an X-Wing, so 4 shields. Actually looking at all the shielding stats for the fighters it looks like they kept to cannon. 25 SBD = 1 shield.

Same armament as the Interceptor, so 3 attack. Plus bolt on missile/torpedo options.

Maneuverability it is more maneuverable than the Interceptor, 155 vs 125. X-Wings are 100. B-Wings are 80. Y-Wings are 80. So... 4 manueverability.

Hull doesn't line up with Wookiepedia. B-Wings have 60 units, Y-Wings 40. It's similar to an Interceptor (20 vs 16), so I'd leave it at 3.

So we've got 7+/3/4/3/4 statline, with Elite Pilot Skill (or badass innate), Missile/Torpedo and System Upgrade. Actions bar of Barrel Roll, Boost, Evade, Targeting Lock, Focus.

Looking at the baseline Interceptor 1/3/3/3/0 costing 18 points, and the baseline Advanced at 2/2/3/3/2 being 21, we get the good old formula of of 2x(Attack+Agility+Shields+Hull)+Skill-1. This stays roughly true across base units (A-wing is cheaper by 1, B-Wing by 3, Y-Wing by 5, HWK by 1, base YT-1300 overpriced by 1, Bomber under by 5, Fighters by 4, Firespray over by 1, Lambda under by 8!). I'll do a regression later but I'd estimate that shields are worth more than hull (as they should be), and Attack/Agility have increasing costs above 2. Slots certainly modify cost but not too much per piece (since the slots will cost points anyways). The worst traits from all the worst ships would be a 1/1/1/3/0 ship, so that baseline has to cost something in points and then things get bolted on. Dials of course matter as well, and the Defender would have a dial at least as saucy as the Interceptor and the Fighter having a grudgefuck baby.

Anyway, glorious midnight math aside, the rough cost of our hypothetical tri-derp ship is 34 points naked. I'd increase the cost by at least 4 (at least) because 3+ agility is a nightmare to get damage through. The shields are ridiculous icing on the cake, and that 7 total hitpoints with 4 agility means anything but Autocannon Numb doesn't damage it. Oh, and Vader. Just need a ship that can take 14 damage to kill it. This is of course ignoring any unique pilots abilities.

We're not going to see a Tie Defender in the same vein as X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. Nor should we.

Realistically the ship (as statted above) would be broken at 50-60 points. Maybe as a scenario ship where it comes with another ship it has to defend. But in a tournament, it might as well say "cannot be killed" and be done with it. You'd be fighting for a partial victory.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

probably just going to run them as x-wings then

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PJOmega posted:

*TIE Defender stuff*

Would it have to be 4 agility though? You don't seem to be factoring in the maneuver dial in the points cost and analysis of the ship, I find that the excellent maneuver dials of TIE fighters and interceptors is just as much a factor in their ability to stay alive and get stuff done as the 3 agility. The way I see it, if the TIE defender is to be more maneuvrable you'd still give it 3 agility but give it perhaps a better/more insane version of the TIE interceptor's movement dial. Looking at it I'd perhaps either give make the 3-turns or 1-turns green (though that last one might be too powerful, the green 3-turn would also mean that 3-bank would be green) and replace the 3-koiogran with a 2-koiogran, something like that. That would make it hard to catch if you know what you are doing and you could do some interesting maneuvers with a short koigran followed up by green 1- or 3-turn the next round, perhaps even with a pilot who can do actions while stressed (though I believe there's an A-Wing pilot who does this already), you could do some really sick maneuvers.

So it would have 3 attack, 3 hull, 3 agility and 4 shield (this might still be a big problem, possibly reduce to 3 and include shield upgrades in the expansion pack), a maneuver dial as discussed, its action bar would probably have to be pretty extensive (focus, evade, barrel roll, boost and target lock), as for upgrades it could take 1 cannon (wookiepedia says it was armed with ion cannons), 2 missiles/torpedoes (or 1 of each) and 1 systems upgrade (advanced sensors should make this thing insane), and ofcourse elite talents for some of the pilots.

That's still incredibly powerful though, I'd price it at somewhat around 40 points, it'd be powerful but you would be able to take 4 TIE fighters for the price of one kitted out TIE Defender, making it a risky proposition.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 20, 2013

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I think with how badass Soonter has proven to be with a stealth device and PTL, that a tie defender with the same would just decimate poo poo all over the board.

So far in my experience the only time shots get through on my PTL SD Fel is when I make a mistake and make contact with a ship or asteroid and lose my actions. Even then 4 dice is usually sufficient enough to keep the SD alive, but not always. And if the SD helps you evade for even half the game before it's lost, it's made it's points.

So SD and PTL on a Defender with the above stats I feel would be totally worth not taking 4 Ties. I'd just run the defender and soonter. Maybe add in a fodder tie if there are no 7-9 PS Defenders.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kilazar posted:

I think with how badass Soonter has proven to be with a stealth device and PTL, that a tie defender with the same would just decimate poo poo all over the board.

So far in my experience the only time shots get through on my PTL SD Fel is when I make a mistake and make contact with a ship or asteroid and lose my actions. Even then 4 dice is usually sufficient enough to keep the SD alive, but not always. And if the SD helps you evade for even half the game before it's lost, it's made it's points.

So SD and PTL on a Defender with the above stats I feel would be totally worth not taking 4 Ties. I'd just run the defender and soonter. Maybe add in a fodder tie if there are no 7-9 PS Defenders.

That last remark is actually quite fitting, seeing as

Wookiepedia posted:

Sienar Fleet Systems followed specific Imperial instruction in developing the TIE Defender, among them the requirement that the fighter would exceed the mission capability of a flight group of four standard TIE Fighters.

Still it is possible that it would simply be too powerful if you are following lore as it is supposed to be a starfighter that is better armed than an X-Wing, almsot as durable as Y-Wing and with better manuevrability than a TIE Interceptor.

Actually the ship I'm most hoping for being part of wave 4 is the Imperial Assault Gunboat from Star Wars: TIE Fighter

Its niche is as the first Imperial starfighter equipped with a hyperdrive, with powerful shielding and a complement of missiles. Kind of like an Imperial Y-Wing, though without the turret and with missiles rather than torpedoes.

I'm also thinking that it is highly possible that we'll see the Z-95 Headhunter. In which case I hope they manage to make it slightly more interesting than just a worse, cheap X-Wing. Supposedly it is supposed to have worse shielding, lighter armor, and be more lightly armed and slower (though able to execute sharper turns). This could call for a 2, 2, 2, 1 profile with the ability to take a missile upgrade. To represent the slower part I'd guess its 4-forward maneuver could be red, and to represent its ability to make sharper turns I'd possibly replace the 3-turns with (red?) 1-turns and/or giving it the ability to perform an evade action. All in all this should be priced lower than a TIE Fighter, and this together with the possibility of arming them with missiles should make the ship interesting, as a swarm of throwaway ships armed with missiles could potentially overhwelm most defenses.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 20, 2013

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Randarkman posted:

That last remark is actually quite fitting, seeing as

Still it is possible that it would simply be too powerful if you are following lore as it is supposed to be a starfighter that is better armed than an X-Wing, almsot as durable as Y-Wing and with better manuevrability than a TIE Interceptor.

Actually the ship I'm most hoping for being part of wave 4 is the Imperial Assault Gunboat from Star Wars: TIE Fighter

Its niche is as the first Imperial starfighter equipped with a hyperdrive, with powerful shielding and a complement of missiles. Kind of like an Imperial Y-Wing, though without the turret and with missiles rather than torpedoes.

I'm also thinking that it is highly possible that we'll see the Z-95 Headhunter. In which case I hope they manage to make it slightly more interesting than just a worse, cheap X-Wing. Supposedly it is supposed to have worse shielding, lighter armor, and be more lightly armed and slower (though able to execute sharper turns). This could call for a 2, 2, 2, 1 profile with the ability to take a missile upgrade. To represent the slower part I'd guess its 4-forward maneuver could be red, and to represent its ability to make sharper turns I'd possibly replace the 3-turns with (red?) 1-turns and/or giving it the ability to perform an evade action. All in all this should be priced lower than a TIE Fighter, and this together with the possibility of arming them with missiles should make the ship interesting, as a swarm of throwaway ships armed with missiles could potentially overhwelm most defenses.

If something would be cheaper point wise than ties I hope they come in a package of 2-3 for $15. $90 to field 60 points would hurt.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Im still surprised we haven't seen all the bounty hunter ships as ships that can go with either side. People love the bounty hunters and they all have awesome looking unique ships.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I just got my BattleFoam P.A.C.K. GO in the mail today. Complete with wave 3 imp/wave 3 rebel/pieces tray/one inch pluck tray. I am stupidly happy with the quality of the backpack as well as the quality of the foam trays. Now I just need to get more ships to fill this bitch up with! My measly 7 rebel ships makes the wave 3 rebel foam look kind of empty. As does my 10 Imp ships.

Then I'm going to slap this bad boy on my back, fire up the motorcycle and be a little less geeky than showing up to the LGS in a Honda Civic sedan. :frogc00l:

*edit*
Added bonus, I probably won't get asked to give smelly basement dwellers a ride home!

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 24, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man I drive a Civic. It's the best car for gaming, lots of room for friends and games!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I don't have any gaming friends. I'm a bit too snobish these days, and general quality of gamer in Oklahoma City varies between subhuman basement dweller and grognardy basement dweller. Neither of witch showers. So I really have no interest in interacting with them outside of game days at the shop. I don't treat anyone like poo poo or bring it up to them that they stink. I do have fun playing games with them. I just don't want them in my house/car/across from me at a restaurant, etc...

Man I miss Kansas City :(

*edit*
Does anyone have an extra Howlrunner, Gundark, and Backstabber they would be willing to give up for cost of shipping and say a buck or so? I'm tired of waiting for reprints, and don't really want to spend $30 to $60 just to try out some lists.

Same goes for the X-wing expansion pack pilots like Wedge. R5-K6 and Garven.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 24, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Why don't you just print out proxies and then buy them if you like the lists? Game days at your store should let you do that, even though tournaments don't.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

Why don't you just print out proxies and then buy them if you like the lists? Game days at your store should let you do that, even though tournaments don't.

I want to try them in tournaments. I've already proxied the ships in friendly games, but that is not the same setting. And I'm just not willing to spend 30 to 60 for a blister that only costs 14. Especially when all I need is the cards.

I looked at the ebay route and I found what I need for 1.50 (for the tie pilots as a 3 pack) plus 1.50 shipping, but I hate giving ebay money. So I'm checking here if anyone has spares they don't need before I pull the trigger on ebay. The people in my area all got into the game after the x-wing and tie went out of print. So most of them only have one set of cards from paying extortion prices for one of the blisters, and expect extortion prices if they happen to have a spare card.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

Kilazar posted:

I want to try them in tournaments. I've already proxied the ships in friendly games, but that is not the same setting. And I'm just not willing to spend 30 to 60 for a blister that only costs 14. Especially when all I need is the cards.

I looked at the ebay route and I found what I need for 1.50 (for the tie pilots as a 3 pack) plus 1.50 shipping, but I hate giving ebay money. So I'm checking here if anyone has spares they don't need before I pull the trigger on ebay. The people in my area all got into the game after the x-wing and tie went out of print. So most of them only have one set of cards from paying extortion prices for one of the blisters, and expect extortion prices if they happen to have a spare card.

If you are being super official, don't forget a base top for the pilot/ship.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kilazar posted:

So most of them only have one set of cards from paying extortion prices for one of the blisters, and expect extortion prices if they happen to have a spare card.

Holy crap, I had no idea that people actually bought stuff at the hilarious prices you see online. And the scales fall from my eyes.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Pilgrimski posted:

If you are being super official, don't forget a base top for the pilot/ship.

ah crap, forgot about those. Yeah add those to the request. Card plus ship token. If anyone has extras floating around.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If you have a decent enough printer you can find scans online of the cards/tokens and just stick them in a card sleeve or in the case of the ship token just affix it to a regular tie ship token.

I cut out the little 8 and the sliver with the name Howlrunner and just taped it on top of an academy tie token and used it in a tournament and noone knew it was an imposter. :ssh:

I asked some people who played at gencon and they all said noone ever checked if stuff was legit

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

If you have a decent enough printer you can find scans online of the cards/tokens and just stick them in a card sleeve or in the case of the ship token just affix it to a regular tie ship token.

I cut out the little 8 and the sliver with the name Howlrunner and just taped it on top of an academy tie token and used it in a tournament and noone knew it was an imposter. :ssh:

I asked some people who played at gencon and they all said noone ever checked if stuff was legit

I'm totally ok with this, but I'd rather not take the chance. As far as I'm concerned, all the cards should have been released in a codex, and each ship should have come with blank ship tokens that you can dry erase marker in the appropriate numbers. I honestly don't see how the current model is a sustaining one unless you want to intentionally remove cards / tokens from the game space as stuff goes out of print. And that just creates have's and have not's at tournaments. With what I know of FFG that really sounds like something they strive to NOT have. Unlike WoTC.

That is about the only real gripe I have with the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Can you even run multiple Howlrunners and the like? I thought they were unique pilots and limited to 1 per list anyway.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
No you can't, but around here people think the card alone is worth 10 to 15 because it's "rare".

All of my spare unique cards are in a little baggy just waiting for someone that needs them.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Eh, restocks of TIEs and X-Wings are on the boat anyways, so in a few weeks you'll be able to get them back at regular prices.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

Eh, restocks of TIEs and X-Wings are on the boat anyways, so in a few weeks you'll be able to get them back at regular prices.

Yep, wont be long. Not to mention the print size is supposedly 4 times the size of the original runs. Fantasy Flight knows the demand now.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Randarkman posted:

One of my friends is plotting out a campaign, where players would start out with their pilots in basic ships (Z-95s for Rebels, vanilla TIEs for Imperials), then specialize when they "level up" to be either fighters, bombers, or interceptors. He thinks of it like leveling your rookies in X-Com.
To that end, we mocked up some Z-95 stats, supposedly using the X-Wing maneuver dial. I posted them earlier in this thread.

His version:

My version:

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
Looks like Amazon either got restocked or found a stash of wave 1 ships. Standard 14.99 price with prime shipping.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Does anyone have much experience playing missions? Are any of them particularly balanced for any given fleet? I'm interested in changing up the format of our next tournament a little bit but don't want to wreck the game balance.

Brand new missions are cool, too. Any other advice for non-standard tournament or good experiences? These are pretty casual tournaments, but there are still winners and prizes.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

DonnyTrump posted:

Looks like Amazon either got restocked or found a stash of wave 1 ships. Standard 14.99 price with prime shipping.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been wanting a Y-Wing and the Wedge card for ages.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Can I get a link to that sweet list builder? It would probably go great in the OP...

Also, what is a good starting point for a Rebel List? Looking to get in to this more in depth after the holiday season. 2 Cores is dumb for Rebels, or is it a decent value for ships/cards/dice still?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carteret posted:

Can I get a link to that sweet list builder? It would probably go great in the OP...

Also, what is a good starting point for a Rebel List? Looking to get in to this more in depth after the holiday season. 2 Cores is dumb for Rebels, or is it a decent value for ships/cards/dice still?

If you ONLY plan to play Rebels I would probably go with an X-Wing expansion over two cores. Mostly because you will want Wedge anyway.

Definite buys for Rebels:
YT-1300
X-Wing expansion
B-Wing expansion

Everything else is up to your personal taste. I really like Y-Wings because turrets make decisions a lot easier. A-Wings are a great missile delivery system. I like HWK-290 so far but I need more time with it.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

Carteret posted:

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build

This one?

I still like 2 cores, spare templates, extra dice, sell/swap the TIEs to a buddy. Plus it gives you an immediate set of ships for getting others into the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pilgrimski posted:

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build

This one?

I still like 2 cores, spare templates, extra dice, sell/swap the TIEs to a buddy. Plus it gives you an immediate set of ships for getting others into the game.

Is there some secret to making this website work? I get lots of infinite loading circles, "User does not exist" errors, and can't seem to actually manage my collection.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

jivjov posted:

Is there some secret to making this website work? I get lots of infinite loading circles, "User does not exist" errors, and can't seem to actually manage my collection.

I just linked my facebook account, haven't used it to share anything, but it seems to work ok for me. The only error I have come across is lists not loading properly the first time, usually closing and reopening will fix it. I haven't tried using the app to manage my collection though, just make, save, share and print lists.

It's a java thing I think, so update that?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

jivjov posted:

It's super hosed up for a lot of people right now, and has been for a while. It'll be fixed eventually, but voidstate is currently backpacking through Nepal (and the rest of the world), so it'll be a while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Pilgrimski posted:

It's a java thing I think, so update that?

Nah it's javascript based which is an entirely different beast to java. If it was java based, we'd have a hell of a lot more headaches with it and one of our biggest gripes would be that it's slow and clunky as hell :v:

jivjov posted:

The only advice I can give is with the upgrades not loading (loading circles) - seems to be a caching issue, whatever browser you're using, open up it's equivalent of private browsing / incognito mode / etc. and then go to the site and try again. Upgrades etc seem to load ok at that point.

• Locked thread