Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Well I am goddamned buyin the hell out of that, as soon as possible. It might be easier to get my lame real-life friends to bite, if they didn't think they were going to have to know 50 years of continuity, and play second fiddle to Wolverine, or something.

To a certain extent the present MHR (and actually the present Marvel comics) are the most noob-friendly. Most Marvel comics have a 3-sentence intro section these days saying "everything you need to know" instead of 50 years of continuity. And the present MHR assumes that you are playing Wolverine (and are a terrible person) or Spiderman (and are a good person) and really pushes "your own imagining" of the character and direction as what you bring to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

JDCorley posted:

That is almost exactly the story that the design team behind MURPG told - and that one wasn't even licensed - it was in house at Marvel.

And I'll be fair to Marvel a little too - it's a fair critique of the entire RPG industry that Marvel can either clear and license a 300 page RPG book, paying someone to spend hours or days reviewing it and making sure it's OK, or you can clear and license a new design of a Spider-Man Trapper Keeper in a thousandth of the time and make 100 times the money. It just does not make financial sense to spend your licensing time on a RPG.

This is why:

1 - Licenses are the bricks placed into the bagful of kittens that is a RPG before it is dropped into the river of commerce.

2 - It is absolutely insane that all four incarnations of Marvel-themed RPGs have been both released and extremely aggressively innovative for their day. They even got TSR, which had every reason to just do another D&D clone, to do something out-there and cool.

I'm curious how this compares to Green Ronin's DC license, where they specifically had permission to do four books, but also allowed to use the system for a generic superhero RPG. And DC didn't yank the right to provide errata or support as far as I know, unlike Marvel making MWP take down the Marvel support materials online.

I have to admit I love the idea of Event books, though.

Also, agreed on the various Marvel RPG iterations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Since Astus' game just died, I figured I'd go ahead and start a new MRH game:
Exiles is now taking sign-ups!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Oooooooooh!! I'd be so into that, i I weren't trying to avoid snatching precious recruitment slots from the rest of the interested. I gotta' think about this.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sad to hear about Astus' game but I will probably cook something up in the morning.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Man.. I want to return to the world of Marvel... but I feel it's not my time just yet.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Two things:

1) How do you portray the High Evolutionary's ability to evolve/devolve people in game mechanics? I feel like it's sort of an all-or-nothing thing, and as such am at sort of a loss on how to model the stretch between d6 and d12+. It occurred to me that you could just flavor the attack as "the High Evolutionary attempts to devolve you", and if they fail, detail how severe the mutation is based on the size of the effect die, but I don't know. It seems like it should be something with oomph, like the encephalo-ray or the absorption from the cosmic control rod.

2) Danger-Pumpkin, get on IRC sometime, I have a surprise for you.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Hot dog! I'll be there as soon as I get the chance.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I would say that in an Action Scene, normally the High Evolutionary's evolving/devolving effect is more gradual. "Argh, I can fight it!" yells the character. Essentially I would do something like "Devolving!" as a Complication and try to step it up over d12. Being 'Taken Out' by devolution means you run off into the Savage Land or the sewers of New York or something and the next scenes may have to do with the team trying to get an antidote for you, and maybe they have to fight you to administer it or something.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

JDCorley posted:

I would say that in an Action Scene, normally the High Evolutionary's evolving/devolving effect is more gradual. "Argh, I can fight it!" yells the character. Essentially I would do something like "Devolving!" as a Complication and try to step it up over d12. Being 'Taken Out' by devolution means you run off into the Savage Land or the sewers of New York or something and the next scenes may have to do with the team trying to get an antidote for you, and maybe they have to fight you to administer it or something.

On that note, this is pretty similar to how they suggest handling devolution in Breakout. I don't think anyone would mind if I copy-pasted the relevant sidebar in here.

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Basic Game posted:

The Savage Land Mutate known as Brainchild has some advanced genetic gadgets in the headquarters, any of which might serve as a Tech Master stunt for him during a battle (at the usual cost). What he really wants to do is devolve or mutate a hero who isn’t already a mutant or mutate, such as Black Widow, Iron Fist, or Iron Man. If one of these heroes is stressed out during the battle, Brainchild has instructed a brutish mutate to carry the fallen hero to one of the machines and flip the switch.

Spend a doom die to create a Devolved complication on the stressed out hero. The rating of the complication is equal to the doom die spent. For as long as he remains in this state, this complication hinders the hero on any action or reaction dependant on being intelligent or able to use technology or tools. Heroes with Science or Tech Mastery can reverse the effects like they were recovering stress.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I'm just going to say it here, because I'm in games with most of you right now: Solomonic got me a platinum upgrade! I can now accept PMs, so I don't know, hit me up sometime with crazy MHR brainstorms or something. I'm very excited about this new feature!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I'm throwing an area attack at Luke Cage, Danny Rand and Spider-Man. Luke has d8 stress,Danny has d12, Spidey has none. What stress die do I get to add to my attack?

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I'd say you pick. Since the effect dice are going to be muffled by the added d6s, it's not a big thing who's at the middle of the Focused Totality Of Your Psychic Powers.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Thanks. I know I had this question once before and I think I had found an answer on the MWP boards...

Speaking of, any word on when those are coming back up, if at all?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Probably never, considering MWP lost the license.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
When they release the non-licensed version of MHR, Smallville, and Leverage, most likely.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I went back to revise my Nimrod write-up. Any feedback would be welcome!

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
The Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide is out! You can get the generic (and somewhat updated versions) of Leverage, Smallville and Marvel Heroic for $20. I got it through Kickstarter, I'm cool that way. But anyway, here it is.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

JDCorley posted:

The Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide is out! You can get the generic (and somewhat updated versions) of Leverage, Smallville and Marvel Heroic for $20. I got it through Kickstarter, I'm cool that way. But anyway, here it is.

Do you need the Cortex System RPG rulebook to use the Hacker's Guide or just the MHR basic rules? Or do you even need that?

Edit: Oh who am I kidding, I'm buying this no matter what. Downloading from DriveThruRPG right now.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 26, 2013

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ibntumart posted:

Do you need the Cortex System RPG rulebook to use the Hacker's Guide or just the MHR basic rules? Or do you even need that?

No to both of those. The old Cortex System rules aren't really needed by anyone at the moment, and they reprint the basic rules of all three major Cortex Plus releases in the book, renamed as Cortex Action, Cortex Drama and Cortex Heroic.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just posting to say I love this game.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Hear, hear!

So, something wacky happened to me yesterday. I was at Barnes and Nobles, checking through the RPG junk in anticipation of a new game, and I found, tucked away at the bottom of a shelf, the MHRP core rulebook. 20 bucks. I didn't have 20 bucks at the time, but I'm going back for her today. I mean, these were supposed to be yanked from the shelves, right? They can get in actual legal trouble for having this out there, can't they?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 7, 2013

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Print copies are still allowed out as far as I know, as there's no real good way to pull them cost-effectively. Basically they just can't print any more and they immediately pulled all electronic versions. Stores can still sell through their stock.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That makes a ton of sense. Well, either way, I got a physical copy of the book now, and I think that's cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure it's a consequence of the retailer already having bought the books and put them out for sale. Margaret Weiss isn't selling it, Barnes and Noble is.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

KirbyJ posted:

Print copies are still allowed out as far as I know, as there's no real good way to pull them cost-effectively. Basically they just can't print any more and they immediately pulled all electronic versions. Stores can still sell through their stock.

Exactly. That's how I was able to score another copy of Civil War from an Amazon third party seller (what can I say? I wanted a Premium Edition version in case I'm traveling and only want to pack the one book and, um, don't have my iPad or access to my Google Drive).

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
In a few weeks I'm going to be starting up the Civil War event, and wanted some advice.

Number one, does anyone have any experience running the event using the troupe system, and if so is there anything to watch out for? I'm going to be enforcing a few rules, mostly that you can't play as the leader of both sides (So we can have climactic PVP showdowns at critical story points).

Two, XP costs for heroes. I'm currently setting it at 5 for a hero, 10 to get them to switch sides while you're at it, 15 and a good excuse to bring in someone who has no business being there (Cosmic and non-US heroes). Is this a good system, or are costs too low/high?

Also, since you seem to like datafiles in here, here's one for Orson Randall I'm working on for one of my players.

quote:

IRON FIST (Orson Randall)

DISTINCTIONS
Elder Dragon
Living Weapon of K'un-Lun
Running from Destiny

HEART OF SHOU-LAO
ENHANCED STRENGTH D8
ENHANCED STAMINA D8
ENHANCED SPEED D8
ENHANCED REFLEXES D8
SFX: The Iron Fist. Step up or double ENHANCED STRENGTH for one action. If that action fails, shut down ENHANCED STRENGTH. Activate an opportunity or participate in a transition scene to recover.
SFX: Chi Focus. If your pool includes a HEART OF SHOU-LAO dice, you may replace two dice of an equal size with one stepped-up dice.
SFX: Chi Healing. Add ENHANCED STAMINA to your dice pool when helping others to recover stress. Spend 1PP to recover your own or anothers physical stress or step back your own or anothers physical trauma.
SFX: Hypnotic Palm Technique. When inflicting hypnosis based complications or stress on a target, add a D6 and step up the effect dice.
LIMIT: Concious Activation. While stressed out, asleep or unconcious, shutdown HEART OF SHOU-LAO. Recover HEART OF SHOU-LAO when you recover that stress or wake up. If you take mental trauma, shutdown HEART OF SHOU-LAO until you recover that trauma.

A WARRIOR NEEDS WEAPONS
WEAPON D8
ENHANCED DURABILITY D8
SFX: Lightning from God. Against a single target, step up or double WEAPON. Remove the highest rolling dice, and keep three dice for your total.
LIMIT: Gear. Shut down A WARRIOR NEEDS WEAPONS to gain 1PP. Take action VS the Doom Pool to recover.

SPECIALTIES
Acrobatic Master D10
Combat Master D10
Covert Expert D8
Mystic Expert D8
Psych Expert D8
Menace Expert D8

MILESTONES
I AM THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST
1 XP When you use your ACROBATIC, COMBAT or MYSTIC specialties to create an asset or a complication.
3 XP When you discuss your shameful place in the Iron Fist legacy with another hero.
10 XP When you either return to K'un-Lun to take up your role as an Immortal Weapon once more, or train a replacement who is accepted by the heavenly city, absolving you of your guilt for fleeing.

NOT ANOTHER WAR...
1 XP When you declare that you are too old for this poo poo.
3 XP When you have a flashback relevant to a situation you are embroiled in.
10 XP When you either put your guilt over your past to rest and finally look to the future with hope, or fall into drinking and drugs again, becoming lost in despair.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Captain Hats posted:

In a few weeks I'm going to be starting up the Civil War event, and wanted some advice.

Number one, does anyone have any experience running the event using the troupe system, and if so is there anything to watch out for? I'm going to be enforcing a few rules, mostly that you can't play as the leader of both sides (So we can have climactic PVP showdowns at critical story points).

Two, XP costs for heroes. I'm currently setting it at 5 for a hero, 10 to get them to switch sides while you're at it, 15 and a good excuse to bring in someone who has no business being there (Cosmic and non-US heroes). Is this a good system, or are costs too low/high?

I'm running Civil War right now and I feel like troupe play seldom presents huge problems, because if someone was a real powergamer who uses meta-knowledge to make their characters infallible, they'd probably be playing a system that rewards that playstyle a little more than MHR, where you can just decide you're playing Galactus today. With a group of people who are more interested in storytelling than winning, you should be okay. That's usually how groups shake out anyway.

For hero XP costs, here's the scale I use. It's an EXTREMELY SCIENTIFIC scale.

5 XP gets a hero to help you out as an assist die for a scene.
10 XP gets you a "street-level" hero as a helpful watcher NPC for a scene. This would be someone like Iron Fist (without Mjolnir) or Black Cat, whose skills are predominantly D8s or below.
15 XP gets you a heavier-hitting hero. This would be someone like Iron Man or the Human Torch, whose pool is heavy on d10s.
For 20 XP, you get a big bad pipe-swinger whose dice pool is mostly D12s. This would be people like the Hulk, Thor or Silver Surfer.

Also if you have 100 XP you can't think of any use for, you can call on Galactus to win a major fight for you, but doing so tires him out and you have to stop him from eating the Earth.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I know what I'm saving up for!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You just spent all your XP, you aren't saving up for poo poo.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Is it too late for take-backsies? I'm one tenth of the way to ending the civil war!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Can we pool Xp? Because at this rate we're about half way to taking this poo poo cosmic.

Edit: So is that Galactus only or can Strange get Eternity up in here.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NO TAKE BACKS NO EXP POOLING.

Plus, you realize you'd have to fight Galactus after, right? 4d12 solo dice, that Galactus?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah but it'd be like a dozen dudes doing it.

EDIT: We save up 200 Xp, and then have Galactus fight ANOTHER Galactus!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They'd team up, but that actually paradoxically weakens Galactus, because the only way he uses his buddy or team dice (which are 3d10 and 2d8, respectively) is to team up with other dudes who are as powerful as Galactus himself. So even if he has heralds (spoilers: he has heralds) he still gets to use his solo dice because HE IS GALACTUS.

Galactus is strange.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dude don't spoil the end of the campaign!

Would legit read Galactus, Sorcerer Cosmic.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's too bad I didn't really get a grasp on this until the shop closed, but potatocubed's Annihlation game on the forums got to finally dig into this game, and I picked up the Civil War hardback last weekend. I didn't really get it how the game worked until I've seen a bit of it run, and it really does feel like something special as far as recapturing the comics. It had first dismissed it for a number of traditional RPG notions (no traditional character generation, not liking affiliations, some misconceptions as to how events worked), but taking it as it is I'm finding it really interesting. I still think the dice pool system obfuscates odds pretty much beyond any sane measure, but it's also an interesting "evening-out" mechanism.

I presume physical copies of the Civil War supplements are pretty much impossible to get, now? Everything else seems widely available, but I couldn't find a source on those. And Annihilation never got a physical version, as I understand it?

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Yeah, I never saw the Civil War supplements in print though they have been spotted in the wild. Annihilation was cancelled when it was literally being finalized with the printer, if you didn't get it in PDF there is no legal way to get it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

JDCorley posted:

Yeah, I never saw the Civil War supplements in print though they have been spotted in the wild.

I've seen them myself, but my FLGS only has the core stuff at this point, unsurprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Thought I'd share the sheet I drew up for the Mandarin, who Dr. Strange is facing in Civil War. NO PEEKING, MALTOSE.

quote:

THE MANDARIN
D10 Solo, D6 Buddy, D8 Team

Megalomaniac, Disciplined Dictator, Magic or Science?

LEFT HAND RINGS
Fire Blast D10, Ice Blast D10, Electric Blast D10, Gravity Manipulation D8, Telepathy D8
SFX- Mental Intensifier. When using Telepathy to create illusion assets, step up the effect die and add a d6.
SFX- White Light. Step down the effect die when using gravity manipulation to inflict stress, but step up when making complications.
LIMIT- Psionic Link. Add a doom dice or step up the lowest die in the pool and step up any mental stress taken when LEFT HAND RINGS is shut down.

RIGHT HAND RINGS
Impact Beam D10, Air Control D10, Darkforce Manipulation D8, Transmutation D8
SFX- Disintegration Ring. Once per scene, you may step up and double IMPACT BEAM.
SFX- Vortex. In a pool containing d10 AIR MASTERY, step back the highest-rolling dice in the pool and use three dice for the target.
SFX- Infinite Dark Void. Spend a doom dice to ignore stress from energy-based weapons such as lasers.
LIMIT- Elemental Bonds. TRANSMUTATION cannot convert elements, only rearrange the structure of matter.
LIMIT- Psionic Link. Add a doom dice or step up the lowest die in the pool and step up any mental stress taken when RIGHT HAND RINGS is shut down.

CHI CONTROL
D8 Enhanced Reflexes, D8 Enhanced Stamina, D8 Enhanced Durability
SFX- Immunity. Spend a doom dice to ignore stress or complications from poison, gas, disease or starvation.
SFX- Total Body Control. Remove the highest-rolling dice in your attack pool to prevent your stress die being used in reactions against that attack.
LIMIT- Conscious Activation. While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown CHI CONTROL. Recover CHI CONTROL when you recover that stress or wake
up. If you take mental trauma, shutdown CHI CONTROL until you recover that trauma.

Tech Master D10, Mystic Master D10, Science Expert D8, Combat Expert D8

I'd say he's a fairly formidable opponent who definitely has the upper hand on his arch-enemy most of the time, although Civil War Tony is definitely a very dangerous opponent for him. Probably wouldn't beat Thor, but weird alien technology goes a long way in making you good at fighting. I also threw in some of his non-ring based abilities because he's not TOTALLY useless without them. He just becomes... like a lovely Iron Fist.

• Locked thread