Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Rincewind posted:

US fans of European football teams (as gauged by facebook likes)

From Deadspin.

Go Madrid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm pretty much beaten twice, but yeah, Russia's just loving terrifying.

That's 10 243km, or 123 hours. North-easter siberia has gently caress-all for roads, but there's the M56:

which looks like this:

so good luck with your road trip!

A friend of a friend is seriously into offroading and cheap cars (as am I on the latter part) so this is something we were thinking about. I'm a bit too chickenshit to jump into it, but slowly coming around. Having to sign up a year in advance is really sucks though, seeing as how you don't need a whole year to prepare your poo poo car.

That's if you start off in the Kaliningrad enclave (Formely Königsberg, East Prussia) and drive through Lithuania and Latvia, you can save 564km and 7 hours if you start right at the Russo-Latvian border.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Mapfrappe is a great tool for comparing sizes, and if you're too lazy to even draw outlines here's a bunch of premade comparisons.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I just learned that actually Estonia is the Leader of Atheism in Europe. Not Sweden. Which seems odd that it's neighbors are still relatively religious or at the very least non-denominationally spiritual.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

PrinceRandom posted:

I just learned that actually Estonia is the Leader of Atheism in Europe. Not Sweden. Which seems odd that it's neighbors are still relatively religious or at the very least non-denominationally spiritual.

I think religion there has historically been associated with foreign occupiers and with trouble all around. Czech Republic is sort of similar. Sweden has its stable Lutheran tradition, with people happily considering themselves "culturally religious" even if they actually believe none of that poo poo.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Has anyone ever heard of a WWII plan to dismantle Germany permanently and set up separate nations based on historical regions, IE Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony, etc? I could swear it was mentioned somewhere in this thread but I can't seem to find it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

made of bees posted:

Has anyone ever heard of a WWII plan to dismantle Germany permanently and set up separate nations based on historical regions, IE Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony, etc? I could swear it was mentioned somewhere in this thread but I can't seem to find it.
Was it this post?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

platzapS posted:

Mapfrappe is a great tool for comparing sizes, and if you're too lazy to even draw outlines here's a bunch of premade comparisons.

Oh hey, that's cool, thanks. So the distance from London to Glasgow is about the same as the distance from San Diego to Stockton. Meanwhile, the entire state is the distance from Shanghai to Beijing.

E: Oh, and Texas and Kenya are the same size.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
The whole "suicidally go across the Eurasian landmass" thing has actually been done a shitload of times. advrider.com is full of nutbars to have done it and all kinds of similar insanity.

That doesn't make doing it any less impressive or awesome.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

made of bees posted:

Germany was actually split into 4 if you count Austria and Saar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_(protectorate)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
And here's the WWI version:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Austria, Saar, and the Sudetenland have always been part of the Reich! :hitler:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Austria, Saar, and the Sudetenland have always been part of the Reich! :hitler:
To be fair, aside from the Interwar occupation when wasn't the Saarland part of a German state of some sort? There's the French Revolution, I guess, but...

DrSunshine posted:

Dude! If you have the time, you should totally start an Ask/Tell thread about this. I know I'd love to hear your account of your experiences on such an adventure!

Soviet Commubot posted:

Seconding, this would be cool as hell.
All right, I'll give it a go:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576184

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Rincewind posted:

US fans of European football teams (as gauged by facebook likes)

From Deadspin.

Give it one year and all those red states will be light blue for City or something

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

tbp posted:

Give it one year and all those red states will be light blue for City or something

I cheer for Chelsea, but only because I am from Chelsea.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Not quite as crazy, but the voyages of Rabban Bar Sauma;

A Nestorian monk, he set out from China to Jerusalem with a student, but military conflicts prevented them from reaching their goal. His student later became Patriarch of the Church of the East, and suggested to the Khan of the Ilkhanate that his teacher act as a diplomat in Europe to establish a Franco-Mongol alliance against the Mamluks, meeting with monarchs, and was originally going to meet with the pope before the pope's untimely death. The alliance showed promise at times, with Mongols promising to reconquer the Holy Lands for Christendom in exchange for the cooperation of the Europeans, and the Mongols did have some joint operations with the crusader states, but despite interest by both Europeans and the Mongols, a formal alliance was never formed and eventually both sides lost all interest.

Crazy to think of what would have happened had that alliance materialized. Despite how obviously useful as an ally the Mongols would have been in retaking the Holy Lands, writers who were creating visions of how the Holy Lands would be retaken never mentioned the Mongols, crusader states never suggested the idea to the pope, monarchs would never commit to any details about logistical support to the Mongols in the event of an alliance, etc. It's likely the alliance fell apart because the Europeans at the time did not think the Mongols would be willing to form alliances as they understood them, but would mean submitting to Mongol rule, becoming tributary kingdoms, and so while the idea of using their military might may have been appealing, any talk of a long term alliance would have meant losing sovereignty.

I find the Franco-Mongol alliance a fascinating subject that I've sadly never gotten a chance to read up on as much as I'd hoped to but that's what I can recall from what I have learned of it :v:.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

D'oh, thanks, yes, Roosevelt's Yalta plan was the one I was thinking of. Does anyone know how well that would have worked? It seems more viable than the various attempts to redraw the Middle East, at least.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DrSunshine posted:

On the subject of massive trans-Eurasian travel, this fella has written a travelogue of a train journey from Lisbon to Vladivostok. It's fascinating stuff! I hope that someday, perhaps when I retire, I can take a magnificent journey like this.

That's cool as heck and I would similarly love to do something like this one day. As an aside I recall discovering that the Orient Express did not in fact take one all the way to Shanghai or some such, and I was deeply aggrieved.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

For quite some time people actually thought the Mongolians were Prestor John's long lost Christian empire and that they were coming to push back the Moslims from the other side. This mentality of course did not survive actually meeting the Mongolians although attempts were made to make them Christians.

In regards to Ibn Battuta, it's pretty much thought nowadays by most people who researched him that he didn't go as far into China as he reported while Zheng He, or at least his associates in his fleet, actually went somewhat farther then seen on that map. At the very least to Mecca.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Davincie posted:

For quite some time people actually thought the Mongolians were Prestor John's long lost Christian empire and that they were coming to push back the Moslims from the other side. This mentality of course did not survive actually meeting the Mongolians although attempts were made to make them Christians.

To their credit, one of the major Mongolian tribal confederations (the Kerait) had apparently mostly converted to Nestorian Christianity in the 1000s AD, and their leader Toghrul/Wang Khan was identified with Prester John at one point. Toghrul was originally a close ally of Genghis Khan but was eventually killed sometime after they had a falling out.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

redscare posted:

The whole "suicidally go across the Eurasian landmass" thing has actually been done a shitload of times. advrider.com is full of nutbars to have done it and all kinds of similar insanity.

That doesn't make doing it any less impressive or awesome.

One Of my friends is currently traveling from Hong-Kong back to England, via train and she is currently travelling across Siberia.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

As far as I know, there's no definitive answer to "least religious country" as the same survey hasn't been applied to multiple countries. People generally have to use national statistics or local surveys which sometimes aren't comparable because the methods of collecting data are different as well as the questions. For example, just going by church membership, Sweden is an overwhelming Christian nation, but that's because becoming a church member used to be opt-out rather than opt-in. Only 2% of Church of Sweden members attend regularly.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Rumda posted:

One Of my friends is currently traveling from Hong-Kong back to England, via train and she is currently travelling across Siberia.

I did it last year and it was amazing. It's the perfect way to travel - you share a coupë with new people every day and you get to see the landscape gradually change from forests to mountains to desert and so on. There's a shitload of backpackers on the train at least in the summer but you get to hang out with a lot of locals as well. Turns out being crammed into a small room with random strangers is a good way to make friends. It's perfectly safe, a lot of fun and you get to see a lot of the world and get some stories to tell. If anyone is thinking about it you should probably do it soon... the world really is getting smaller :/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anosmoman posted:

I did it last year and it was amazing. It's the perfect way to travel - you share a coupë with new people every day and you get to see the landscape gradually change from forests to mountains to desert and so on. There's a shitload of backpackers on the train at least in the summer but you get to hang out with a lot of locals as well. Turns out being crammed into a small room with random strangers is a good way to make friends. It's perfectly safe, a lot of fun and you get to see a lot of the world and get some stories to tell. If anyone is thinking about it you should probably do it soon... the world really is getting smaller :/

You say that, but I've seen Transsiberian, so I know better.

Seriously though, I'd really love to make that trip one day. Also, Transsiberian is an amazing movie, and everyone should watch it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The most politicized part of marriage these days is gay marriage but here's a map of people being married.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

computer parts posted:

The most politicized part of marriage these days is gay marriage but here's a map of people being married.

Wait, how do you have more married men than women? Excepting the few states with gay marriage, wouldn't every man have a corresponding woman that he is married to? Or is it due to a significant difference between the overall number of men or women in certain counties?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Maybe I'm being dense, but since same-sex marriage isn't valid in most states and polygamy isn't valid anywhere, how does "higher percentage of men than women are married" mean anything other than "there are less men than women"?

e:f,b

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Where did that come from? Reverse GIS came up with "Navajo nation map."

made of bees posted:

Maybe I'm being dense, but since same-sex marriage isn't valid in most states and polygamy isn't valid anywhere, how does "higher percentage of men than women are married" mean anything other than "there are less men than women"?
drat, of course. I was wondering what the explanation was; can't believe I didn't think of that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Strudel Man posted:

Where did that come from? Reverse GIS came up with "Navajo nation map."

drat, of course. I was wondering what the explanation was; can't believe I didn't think of that.

Source is from here, data is from http://factfinder2.census.gov/

And there are other explanations for higher percentages of men than women being married (women outliving their spouses, for example).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

computer parts posted:

And there are other explanations for higher percentages of men than women being married (women outliving their spouses, for example).
That's not really another explanation, though, is it? Women outliving their spouses is just one cause for there to be fewer men than women.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Source is from here, data is from http://factfinder2.census.gov/

If a woman outlives her spouse, is she still married?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Of course she's no longer married (until death and all that). So she's part of the "unmarried adult women" column.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
It is a percentage of the male or female population over 20 that is married. So if a county has a lot more men or women, you can have the disparity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It seems like a bit of a pointless map. Gender distribution across the United States would probably be more interesting.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
And if a 21 year old marries an 18 year old, only one side of that marriage will show up.
Still it's a pointless map.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Via El País, a map of the far right-wing in Europe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Via El País, a map of the far right-wing in Europe.

Would've been interesting to see how many are in cabinet.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
The Swede/Swiss/UK parties wouldn't be out of place on a bag of baby diapers while Greece and Bulgaria are straight out of 1938.

The richer the country the more the logo appeals to scared geratrics worried about the blacks, while in periphery Europe they try to appeal to a sense of national strength and vigor.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Scrree posted:

The richer the country the more the logo appeals to scared geratrics worried about the blacks, while in periphery Europe they try to appeal to a sense of national strength and vigor.

Greece in particular (fittingly) looks like one of the not-swastikas when the cartoons I watched as a kid wanted to do a WWII setting without upsetting parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jerry Cotton posted:

Would've been interesting to see how many are in cabinet.

The Liberal Democratic Party of Russia is so much crazier than the rest of the parties on that map it's ridiculous. It's led by this guy. Just take a look at that wiki article.