Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Squishy posted:

The over-the-counter codeine is the key ingredient to making krokodil so he's well ahead of you.

Can you not get codeine over the counter in America? No pseudoephedrine, no pholcodine, no codeine, it's like your country has a vendetta against effective medications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Psuedoephedrine is OTC, you just have to show ID and they record how much you buy.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
When I installed Windows 8 on my PC, it created a 350MB partition that is "system reserved". What purpose does this serve? Is it safe for me to remove this partition?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

Can you not get codeine over the counter in America? No pseudoephedrine, no pholcodine, no codeine, it's like your country has a vendetta against effective medications.

You can get it off the shelf as part of formulations with other medicines for things like coughs. No idea what a "pholcodine" is though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Coatlicue posted:

I rent an apartment that has an AC unit mounted in the wall. Since it is getting colder out, do I need to cover the unit in any way to keep the cold air out? If so, do you cover the inside part or the outside part?

My first apartment came with a cover for the air conditioner. It completely covers the inside part and is held in place with latches screwed into the wall.

My current apartment has an air conditioner with no cover. When I asked about it I was told that the AC unit was designed to not let in airflow when not on. I suspect this is bullshit but I haven't been through a winter at my current apartment yet.

Lastly, my original home had two air conditioner units that had covers that go on the outside of the house.

I would look up your ac model if you can find it and google around or call the manufacturer. You can also ask your property owner, or a neighbor if you're in an apartment with ac units supplied.
I suspect that covering it in any case will improve your insulation, inside or outside.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible to have a manual car with remote start?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

Is it possible to have a manual car with remote start?

You can get it for most manual cars. They tend to be installed aftermarket almost exclusively, because the safe way to do it involves ensuring the emergency brake is on and the stick is in neutral, and apparently car manufacturers are loath to rely on that from the general public.

In contrast they're installed frequently on automatic transmission cars, because automatic cars will reliably be set into park when they're off and in park you can rely on them to not suddenly start rolling away from the engine turning on.

You can find the necessary parts and mechanics willing to install them online.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Install Windows posted:

You can get it for most manual cars. They tend to be installed aftermarket almost exclusively, because the safe way to do it involves ensuring the emergency brake is on and the stick is in neutral, and apparently car manufacturers are loath to rely on that from the general public.

In contrast they're installed frequently on automatic transmission cars, because automatic cars will reliably be set into park when they're off and in park you can rely on them to not suddenly start rolling away from the engine turning on.

You can find the necessary parts and mechanics willing to install them online.

I have to side with the car manufacturers on this one, though I was glad (or at least intrigued) to learn that it's possible to install them. But having one seems like a bad idea if you live where there are hills. Manual cars should really be parked in 1st.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

For a lot of major sporting events like say the World Series companies print World Champion 20XX gear for both teams in advance so they are ready to go immediately. Is there some place you can buy the incorrect ones?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

For a lot of major sporting events like say the World Series companies print World Champion 20XX gear for both teams in advance so they are ready to go immediately. Is there some place you can buy the incorrect ones?

Chad. The Sudan. Somalia. All that shipped gets shipped there and given to folks who need clothes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Install Windows posted:

You can get it off the shelf as part of formulations with other medicines for things like coughs. No idea what a "pholcodine" is though.
I've not seen any OTC anything with codeine in the US for years. What has it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Install Windows posted:

So it is possible, but whatever company makes the parts assumes that the car is in neutral with the parking brake on. Ok, that's reasonable. How do they simulate the clutch being depressed? Or is there some part in the kit that pulls the pedal in?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hooah posted:

So it is possible, but whatever company makes the parts assumes that the car is in neutral with the parking brake on. Ok, that's reasonable. How do they simulate the clutch being depressed? Or is there some part in the kit that pulls the pedal in?

It's just a switch when the clutch is fully depressed that the kit would tie into or bypass.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

randyest posted:

It is an active ingredient in a bunch of OTC cough syrups around the world. From my limited knowledge most places in the US don't sell them OTC due to a crackdown, but a cursory google search implies you can get it readily enough from small-time pharmacists in small quantities.

Might have trouble if you're young and black in the South, but I guess that applies to a lot of things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

randyest posted:

Robitussin AC is on the shelf of every CVS I've ever been to, in small bottles. Used to be Robitussin DAC was there, which had pseudophdrine as well, but that obviously changed.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

hooah posted:

Like someone else said, the kit just bypasses the clutch switch. Doing so is a big risk though: http://jalopnik.com/5500228/dealership-remote-starts-customers-mustang-into-pond-car-totalled

quote:

According to lucky, he was at the dealer to pick up his car after some warranty work when the service agent came out with some bad news. When he was going to get the car the agent remote-started the 'Stang while it was in gear with the parking brake off. The car fired up and took off through an empty parking spot, went under a chain link fence and powered itself into a holding pond off the dealer lot where it sank beneath the water.P

The dealer has refused to admit responsibility for the incident claiming the lack of a neutral safety switch on the system absolves them of responsibility. The soggy Mustang is totaled and the matter is now in the hands of the insurance companies.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Install Windows posted:

Robitussin AC is on the shelf of every CVS I've ever been to, in small bottles. Used to be Robitussin DAC was there, which had pseudophdrine as well, but that obviously changed.

Sorry Fishmech, OTC codeine of any sort is not available without a prescription in the US. Pseudophdrine is OTC and controlled but it's only recreational use is acting as an agent in producing actually speed(ephedrine alone is speed but not sold OTC or prescribed for anything, hence the pseudo).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DELETED posted:

Like someone else said, the kit just bypasses the clutch switch. Doing so is a big risk though: http://jalopnik.com/5500228/dealership-remote-starts-customers-mustang-into-pond-car-totalled

Thanks for the information. I was more just curious as to how it would even work, with the extra things you have to do to start a manual.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
How come you can't ever seem to back out as you pulled into a parking space? Is it perception and your mechanics working differently, or is it something else?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A long time ago, I saw some promotional instructional video on how to play Magic the Gathering... hosted by Bryan Cranston. I'm definitely not making this up but google isn't agreeing with me. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

change my name posted:

A long time ago, I saw some promotional instructional video on how to play Magic the Gathering... hosted by Bryan Cranston. I'm definitely not making this up but google isn't agreeing with me. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

You might be thinking of this but the host is just someone who looks like Bryan Cranston a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rGAyCn1fJQ

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Schweinhund posted:

You might be thinking of this but the host is just someone who looks like Bryan Cranston a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rGAyCn1fJQ

drat, it even sounds like him.... that's a possibility.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Sorry Fishmech, OTC codeine of any sort is not available without a prescription in the US. Pseudophdrine is OTC and controlled but it's only recreational use is acting as an agent in producing actually speed(ephedrine alone is speed but not sold OTC or prescribed for anything, hence the pseudo).

I just bought it last Tuesday, bucko. Right there on the shelf next to the Nyquil!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, 4oz and under is (or at least was a couple years ago) legal in some states for some codeine containing cough syrups.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

How come you can't ever seem to back out as you pulled into a parking space? Is it perception and your mechanics working differently, or is it something else?

I have no answer to this but it does bring up something I wonder about : why do some people back in to parking spaces? Not just drive forward into it across an empty one behind it, I've actually seen them back in. It takes considerably more effort to back in there vs. go fwd. Yes later you get out easier going forward vs reverse but the parking lot alley you go into forward is much larger than the parking spot you went into backward earlier so all in all you've spent more time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I have no answer to this but it does bring up something I wonder about : why do some people back in to parking spaces? Not just drive forward into it across an empty one behind it, I've actually seen them back in. It takes considerably more effort to back in there vs. go fwd. Yes later you get out easier going forward vs reverse but the parking lot alley you go into forward is much larger than the parking spot you went into backward earlier so all in all you've spent more time.

Less likely to run over kids. If you are proficient with reversing the time difference is really negligible.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Vin BioEthanol posted:

You back in when you drive a van or a truck or something that's hard to see what's behind you. Because it's easier to back into an empty parking spot with limited rearview vision than back out of a parking spot into traffic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Install Windows posted:

No idea what a "pholcodine" is though.

Cough suppressant. American cough medicine has dextromethorphan instead, which doesn't actually work.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Cough suppressant. American cough medicine has dextromethorphan instead, which doesn't actually work.

It sure worked at getting me hosed up when I was younger.

PLEASE DON'T loving TAKE TOO MUCH COUGH MEDICINE.

The acetimetophan (sic) is the real danger. You can seriously wreck your gutty works and die if you take too much. And "too much" is really not more than a couple times the recommended dose.
Ira Glass told me so.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I can back in WAY easier than I can drive in. I live in Japan where that's just how it's done. I find it way easier, not to mention it's easier to get out.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a way to remove a sticker off something while keeping it intact and leaving no residue? I've heard of oil, ice and nail polish remover, but these all seem like they'd ruin the sticker.

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

Try heat and a blade that always worked for xbox warranty stickers

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Someone told me if I want to extend my iPhone battery life (for game playing while im on a bus) I should turn on airplane mode. Good? Bad? stupid?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Your phone spends a good bit of its power making sure its connected to cell towers. I couldn't find any data on how much but it could be significant. If your in a place without service the power savings would be any more since it tries more often in that case. Only downside is you won't be able to get calls/texts or use any non-wifi internet.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Someone told me if I want to extend my iPhone battery life (for game playing while im on a bus) I should turn on airplane mode. Good? Bad? stupid?

It is good for battery life. Stupid if you want to make/receive calls while being on the bus.

From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355

When you enable airplane mode from the Settings screen, an airplane icon () appears in the status bar at the top of the screen and the following wireless connections and services are turned off:

Cellular (voice and data)
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
GPS
Location services

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Good deal, thank you :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How would I go about turning solid dum-dum lollipops into a liquid glaze that I could pour over meat? I don't even know where to start here.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

cheerfullydrab posted:

How would I go about turning solid dum-dum lollipops into a liquid glaze that I could pour over meat? I don't even know where to start here.

why not just flavor some corn syrup?

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

cheerfullydrab posted:

Hmm I'd say put 10 or so lollipops into a pot with about ohh a cup of water. Simmer on medium heat(do not let acutally boil) until things start to melt while stirring. Keep at it until you can pull the sticks out. Taste to see if it's the strength you want. (Careful! Blow on the spoon first because liquid candy is HOT) It isn't? Add a few more (3ish?) lollipops and stir until melted and try again.
It's really going to depend on the size of the ham and what you're going for.
If you glaze it before you start cooking, the flavour of the lollipop will filter into the meat as you cook if you be sure to perforate said ham and baste it a lot. If this is the case be sure to cover in tinfoil while it's cooking.
If you want some sort of candy coating on outside of the ham that does not effect the meat inside itself them glaze it when it's about 1/2 hour to being done and make sure it's thick.

edit: have you thought about Jolly Ranchers instead? I don't know about dum-dums, but Jolly Ranchers melt up a treat. Nice and easy.
or what Ladron said. poo poo why didn't I think of that?

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaPzM4ExbJ4

What are they saying?

Lady: Think of a sentence.
Guy: Want sex.

:confused: