Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

anthonypants posted:

This program was built by pharamacists, for pharmacists:

F1 F1 F1 :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Looks about the same as our ticketing system. It's a paper form, but on a computer.

Ninja edit: good pagebreak there ^

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I mean, if you need to collect all of that data, what's wrong with a big form to fill it all out? Obviously there is some training needed, but it's not like a series of pages with 1 form each would make the data entry any faster.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

anthonypants posted:

Built by pharmacists who borrowed extensively from the original everquest UI.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

No! Just Because You Make Each First Letter A Hotkey Doesn't Mean It Will Work!

You have like 4 D's alone on that screen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It looks like the sort of program that would come with a sticker for the keyboard to sit above the function keys

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
That UI owns

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Rawrbomb posted:

Bad allocation of resources, or thinking IT doesn't matter. At least from what I've seen.

It's the latter, I believe. I work for a large hospital corporation here in the states, and computers and software was always just something that was brought in piecemeal, to address specific needs, with no concern for standardization, future expansion, and inter-compatibility. This attitude has changed, but we're playing catch up, at least where I work. There are entire server clusters whose only job is to translate data from one EMR system to another, and charting systems that look and behave like they were lifted off an Windows 95 computer. Laws, rules and regulations make things difficult at times - solutions that might be OK in the normal world are not acceptable in HIT, and the software and hardware vendors know it and charge a premium... because, what else are you going to use?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Outside of the whole shortcuts thing, I actually kinda like it. It's not pretty but it's functional and pretty clear cut.

Our current implementation of Remedy has so many outdated/unused fields spread randomly across five tabs, it's an absolute nightmare to navigate and fill in. It takes several minutes to create a ticket, and it's annoying enough that most departments develop some sort of in-house script or excel macro just to create tickets. In order to idiot proof it, you can no longer manually edit some fields, instead selecting what you want from a drop down (which takes forever to open because it has to populate hundreds of selections).

Of course the "Remedy Team" who's in charge of it all hardly ever use Remedy so they have no idea how unwieldy it's becoming with all of their additions, while never removing any obsolete fields. But nope, I still have to click the radio for whether or not analog services are impacted even though we haven't used analog for years, along with a bunch of other redundant or useless fields. God forbid I close a ticket without selecting "VOIP" as the type of phone service affected, even though it's the only voice service I work with, not that it's even relevant to begin with.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

madsushi posted:

I mean, if you need to collect all of that data, what's wrong with a big form to fill it all out? Obviously there is some training needed, but it's not like a series of pages with 1 form each would make the data entry any faster.

I'm neither a pharmacist nor a UX design expert, but it seems to me that a wizard-style format would be easier to deal with. Maybe not faster per se, but a lot clearer and easier to learn. Each section could manage one logical unit of data: patient, drug, billing, etc. Do it that way, and you suddenly have a lot more room for labels and instructional text, instead of having to cram in abbreviations. New employees won't be overwhelmed by a paginated layout, so they can learn it more comfortably.

I figure the only way a layout like that picture works is if it's an exact replica of a paper form that they can just transcribe without any thought. It very well could be, but I doubt it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Renegret posted:

Of course the "Remedy Team" who's in charge of it all hardly ever use Remedy so they have no idea how unwieldy it's becoming with all of their additions, while never removing any obsolete fields. But nope, I still have to click the radio for whether or not analog services are impacted even though we haven't used analog for years, along with a bunch of other redundant or useless fields. God forbid I close a ticket without selecting "VOIP" as the type of phone service affected, even though it's the only voice service I work with, not that it's even relevant to begin with.

Oh god, this. THIS.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

From what I have seen of medical software supporting a local GP practice. The issues arise because so many different organisations come together to produce their own little customisations and add ons for it. There is the company who make the base software, then there is the ministry of health and their various sub-departments each have their own little piece of the pie the contribute. There is the local health board for exchanging data between practices and the hospitals in the region. Then there are private insurance providers. If you have any issue good luck identifying which helpdesk to contact about it and then the standard response is usually to point it at an add-on provided by another group. The one saving grace is there seems to be a bit of movement of support staff between the groups so eventually you come across someone who has supported several of the pieces and can help solve the issues.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I NEED A DIFFERENT FIELD FOR EVERY LITTLE THING BECAUSE I **MIGHT** REPORT ON IT SOMEDAY

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
It looks like it was designed to run full screen on a 14" crt at 800x600 with no mouse attached to the computer.

Never customize someone elses erp software. Never

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Our Citrix client was written by a doctors company on his suggestion. He now left us and isnt willing to fix any of the major bugs. Office IT finally decided to drop it and get a different one.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to send an email giving our not so computer savvy administrative and sales staff a warning about attachments and such, but warning them about that will honest to god make them more likely to open poo poo.

Its some kind of bizzaro world where you tell someone not to do something and all they remember is "do...something?"

Whales
Oct 23, 2013
Thinking about employees and attachments, we had a great call come in earlier this year;

:j:: Hi I've got a problem with my email?
:downs:: Hokay, what does it seem to be?
:j:: Well I got an email from one of our financial associates and I can't open the attachments
:v:: Uh
:j:: I tried all six of them but it just flashes up a box and doesn't load in excel
:downs:: Oh, so they are excel files, then.
:j:: Yeah they're finance so that's what they'll open in.
:v:: ...[name], what does it say at the end of the attachment name? Is it dot XLS or dot EXE
:j:: Uhm... *20 seconds of silence* dot exe.

So that mess took a day or so to clean up and then everyone had to read a paper about email headers, what a file extension is and when to not open an attachment. It's now in our company handbook that opening a file ending in .exe constitues an act of gross misconduct and may be subject to immediate dismissal. I assume it's implied that this doesn't apply to, y'know, all the programs that we use.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Che Delilas posted:

I figure the only way a layout like that picture works is if it's an exact replica of a paper form that they can just transcribe without any thought. It very well could be, but I doubt it.

Why would you doubt that? Yes, the alternative would be easier for new users, but they most likely weren't the ones designing it, experienced pharmacists who'd been using paper forms were. It's not the sort of domain where it necessarily needs to be immediately intuitive either: Excel/Illustrator/etc actually have the "make accounting/graphic design/etc so easy even a caveman can do it!" use case, pharmacy not so much.

thebigcow posted:

It looks like it was designed to run full screen on a 14" crt at 800x600 with no mouse attached to the computer.

The text-based interface for the leading EMR software is designed to only be run on a 80x23 VT220. Running it under other conditions causes all sorts of issues ranging from "just not usable" to "consuming all CPU because weird poo poo happens when you hardcode assumptions about the size of text fields". Granted, end users never see the text interface, but plenty of administrators do.

quote:

Ditto our Siebel install. It's a collection of fields/logic that team X thought useful that somehow percolated up to the Siebel team, who then added it for the entire organization. I've never used 80% of the fields I see. Many are marked with a red asterisk for required even though they're not, but plenty that are (and will prevent you from navigating elsewhere) aren't marked at all. There's an additional popup before closing to ask you to confirm that you've filled out all the required fields, even though you won't be able to close otherwise.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 25, 2013

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Whales posted:

Thinking about employees and attachments, we had a great call come in earlier this year;

:j:: Hi I've got a problem with my email?
:downs:: Hokay, what does it seem to be?
:j:: Well I got an email from one of our financial associates and I can't open the attachments
:v:: Uh
:j:: I tried all six of them but it just flashes up a box and doesn't load in excel
:downs:: Oh, so they are excel files, then.
:j:: Yeah they're finance so that's what they'll open in.
:v:: ...[name], what does it say at the end of the attachment name? Is it dot XLS or dot EXE
:j:: Uhm... *20 seconds of silence* dot exe.

So that mess took a day or so to clean up and then everyone had to read a paper about email headers, what a file extension is and when to not open an attachment. It's now in our company handbook that opening a file ending in .exe constitues an act of gross misconduct and may be subject to immediate dismissal. I assume it's implied that this doesn't apply to, y'know, all the programs that we use.

It's a bit negligent to not block exe attachments your incoming emails though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

peak debt posted:

It's a bit negligent to not block exe attachments your incoming emails though.

What if a client sends me one though?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What if a client sends me one though?

Then have them rename it to .001 or something. Blocking exe files should be mandatory.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GreenNight posted:

Then have them rename it to .001 or something. Blocking exe files should be mandatory.

I have to agree. Executable files should be blocked, no exceptions, and you should think hard about whether you want to give .zip etc an exception.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm hopeful for the day when attachments are removed from the email spec altogether (it never should have been implemented in the first place) and people get used to working with file drops like Dropbox or whatever homegrown tool the organization comes up with.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

AlexDeGruven posted:

or whatever homegrown tool the organization comes up with.

This sounds like a special circle of hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't even allow email attachments from being sent out that are over 1 meg. We purchased some ad hoc transfer tool from IP Switch where users login to a website, upload a file and then enter an email address to send it out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Walter_Sobchak posted:

This sounds like a special circle of hell.

Some places have requirements to keep all data in-house, so Dropbox or Box and the like aren't acceptable.

99% of the time, just having an SMB/CIFS share out there is enough. Easy to attach to for everyone, regardless of OS, and easy to link to.

We're working with Canonical on potentially bringing in OpenStack, which includes an S3-like object-storage, which I think would be an excellent replacement for email attachments.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Ack I was kidding this is terrible too

Whales
Oct 23, 2013

Volmarias posted:

I have to agree. Executable files should be blocked, no exceptions, and you should think hard about whether you want to give .zip etc an exception.

Yeah, our security is pretty lacking in a bunch of ways. Everything is, to be honest. I've only been here a few months though, and every time I've suggested improvements and fixes I've been shot down with "Nah, you can fix that later, right now I need you where the money is." I recently found out that we only had six people in the office accessing their VMs through Citrix Access Gateway and the rest through RDP because... the XenDesktop express license only lets you have six users.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Raven457 posted:

It's the latter, I believe. I work for a large hospital corporation here in the states, and computers and software was always just something that was brought in piecemeal, to address specific needs, with no concern for standardization, future expansion, and inter-compatibility. This attitude has changed, but we're playing catch up, at least where I work. There are entire server clusters whose only job is to translate data from one EMR system to another, and charting systems that look and behave like they were lifted off an Windows 95 computer. Laws, rules and regulations make things difficult at times - solutions that might be OK in the normal world are not acceptable in HIT, and the software and hardware vendors know it and charge a premium... because, what else are you going to use?

I think we work for the same hospital corp because our team are the sys admins of most of those systems and it's insane. We work with Cerner and NextGen and a bunch of other small 3rd party apps.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Renegret posted:

Our current implementation of Remedy has so many outdated/unused fields spread randomly across five tabs, it's an absolute nightmare to navigate and fill in. It takes several minutes to create a ticket, and it's annoying enough that most departments develop some sort of in-house script or excel macro just to create tickets. In order to idiot proof it, you can no longer manually edit some fields, instead selecting what you want from a drop down (which takes forever to open because it has to populate hundreds of selections).
I think this is the natural evolution of Remedy. I've never seen a usable install. And it's the only tracking software I've ever seen that gives me less relevant results when I give it more information.

Raven457 posted:

Laws, rules and regulations make things difficult at times - solutions that might be OK in the normal world are not acceptable in HIT, and the software and hardware vendors know it and charge a premium... because, what else are you going to use?
I spend some years in retail/consumer banking. We had similar restrictions. So we wrote everything ourselves. This meant there was some legacy poo poo we'd never get rid of (I think they were/are the only company in the world still using certain database software), but it was ultimately a win.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I want to send an email giving our not so computer savvy administrative and sales staff a warning about attachments and such, but warning them about that will honest to god make them more likely to open poo poo.

Its some kind of bizzaro world where you tell someone not to do something and all they remember is "do...something?"

My first boss in IT once told me a story to explain this. When he would go on trips he would tell his dog "whatever you do don't poo poo on this rug. " Every time he would come back and the dog had poo poo only on the rug. One trip he forgot the warning and behold no poo poo on the rug. Further testing confirmed that saying nothing got no poo poo on the rug, and he realized the dog only heard "something something poo poo on the rug"

Users are no smarter than this dog.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

tallian posted:

My first boss in IT once told me a story to explain this. When he would go on trips he would tell his dog "whatever you do don't poo poo on this rug. " Every time he would come back and the dog had poo poo only on the rug. One trip he forgot the warning and behold no poo poo on the rug. Further testing confirmed that saying nothing got no poo poo on the rug, and he realized the dog only heard "something something poo poo on the rug"

My god, this is the perfect story to encapsulate the user experience.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Our CEO is the only person using Windows 7 and the only person using a laptop on the domain. If she starts from a fresh boot everything works fine. When I disconnect it from the WiFi and immediately reconnect, I still get the correct DHCP info, yet the laptop can't ping Google or anything on the LAN, not even the gateway. Software firewall is off.

The issue never resolves until the laptop is rebooted. I tried this with a different, XP laptop, on the same hotspot, and everything works fine. The gently caress?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zero VGS posted:

Our CEO is the only person using Windows 7 and the only person using a laptop on the domain. If she starts from a fresh boot everything works fine. When I disconnect it from the WiFi and immediately reconnect, I still get the correct DHCP info, yet the laptop can't ping Google or anything on the LAN, not even the gateway. Software firewall is off.

The issue never resolves until the laptop is rebooted. I tried this with a different, XP laptop, on the same hotspot, and everything works fine. The gently caress?

Its obviously service related if a reboot fixes the issue. I would suspect you have a service that needs to be restarted to fix the issue as it happens. This however isn't going to be great because something is breaking the service in question. I would have reinstalled the wireless driver as soon as I had your issue.

I would use the easy transfer wizard and export his windows profile folder to a external drive. I would reimage his system and transfer the profile back.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

evol262 posted:

I think this is the natural evolution of Remedy. I've never seen a usable install. And it's the only tracking software I've ever seen that gives me less relevant results when I give it more information.

I got told off by a supervisor when I re-wrote and distributed new search macros for the department without "consulting a supervisor first so they can make sure it won't break the database".

Of course, one of the old macros I replaced used about fifty != statements and would take several minutes to query because it ran through 11 loving years of tickets. My macros returned more relevant tickets and ran in less than a second. I can't even think of a way to tax the database more than the old macros, they were the worst case scenario I could possibly come up with.

I'm the only person in the department with software development and database experience, but the supervisors are so busy playing office politics that they won't actually let me put my skills to good use and would rather have me sit there and be a good little computer secretary. I've since learned that if I plan on doing something to make things better, just pass it around under the table and eventually everyone who matters will get a hold of it. Once the supervisors who are out to get me get wind of it, it'll already be part of everyone's workflow and they won't be able to bitch me out.

I'm still keeping my "push this button to make this 2 hour report run in 15 minutes" a secret though so I can get 2 hours of work credit while I browse the forums.

edit:

tallian posted:

Beautiful

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 25, 2013

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Secure file sharing services are going to become more prevalent as commonly shared files grow in size(pictures/PDFs) and e-mail attachment size remains static.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

tallian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjdWf5dWAYA

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

go3 posted:

Secure file sharing services are going to become more prevalent as commonly shared files grow in size(pictures/PDFs) and e-mail attachment size remains static.

Is there some aversion to slapping a shared drive on the company file server that I'm unaware of?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Is there some aversion to slapping a shared drive on the company file server that I'm unaware of?

File sharing services for sharing files with outside customers or venders instead of using email to send files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GreenNight posted:

File sharing services for sharing files with outside customers or venders instead of using email to send files.

Oh. Well good luck with that poo poo. Every time someone gets a e-mail from a file sharing service around here from a known customer who they know uses that service they automatically forward it to me and ask "Should I open this".

Yay.

• Locked thread