Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
It's not just specifically identifying the middle linebacker; blocking schemes depend on identifying a 'middle guy' that all the blocks can be based off of e.g. the centre blocks mike, RG blocks whoever's right of mike (which could be a DT or another MLB), RT blocks outside of him, etc. Often this is the actual mike backer but depending how the defense sets up it could be anyone. It's explained well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXjA8h1AhE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Its Miller Time posted:

What is the significance of QB's identifying the Mike? Why the Mike? Does the player at that position change a lot?

The Mike is generally regarded as the defensive captain, the one who makes all the signals. Pointing him out lets the QB and offensive linemen see what he's doing, and try to adjust accordingly.

The position isn't always consistent due to the number of shifting defensive schemes these days, but it's still considered an important skill for QBs to look out for as they line up the play before the snap.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 25, 2013

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

So the Stafford fake clock TD that was so beautiful - I know they need to review every scoring play, but if they determined he didn't get in, what would have happened? He never got tackled either, and ran into the end zone without ever being down. Anyone know what the call could have been?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Hirams Bitch posted:

So the Stafford fake clock TD that was so beautiful - I know they need to review every scoring play, but if they determined he didn't get in, what would have happened? He never got tackled either, and ran into the end zone without ever being down. Anyone know what the call could have been?

That literally happened at Lambeau in 2011. Titus Young (!) caught a touchdown that wasn't called as such, so nothing happened, basically. It's a bad loophole.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Hirams Bitch posted:

He would be down where he was when the whistle blew.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Hirams Bitch posted:

In the soubd fx he said there would be a 10 sec runoff and one last down. Don't if the clock starts at whistle or snap though.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Legit questions always get stupid responses. Perhaps your brain will grow and you will gain intelligence and you might be able to provide an intelligent response someday! I don't pray, so I'm just going to hope you do get that intelligent brain some day.
I have a question about the Sunday doubleheader rules.

I am a Miami Dolphins fan living in Arizona. In week 11, they have moved our game with the Chargers from 1 EST to 4 EST. During this week, FOX has the doubleheader. Obviously, I'm living in the primary market for the Arizona Cardinals. They are playing a 1pm EST game at the Jaguars. I'm assuming that the Cardinals game would not have a morning game on CBS going against it since FOX has the doubleheader rights. So this in fact would put the Dolphins game on CBS up against whatever afternoon game FOX decides to show in AZ. Am I correct in this assumption?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I'm not 100% sure I'm parsing your question correctly, but since the ARI@JAX game is on Fox at 1pm, then CBS is free to show whatever it wants in either the 1pm or 4pm slot since they don't have teh doubleheader. If they moved the SD@MIA game to 4pm, then I'd guess that's what they're going to show for MAX RATINGS but I'm not sure how the whole "America's Game of the Week" fits into this; they might be forced to show only a 1pm game so a majority of the country watches the same game on FOX at 4pm (SF@NO).

I'd just wait and check out the TV maps - they'll be updated the week of.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Some things I've thought about, but never remembered to ask about here.

Say on a RB screen play, the RB knows he is going to get lit up behind the line of scrimmage. But he has time to catch the ball. Why doesn't he just swat the ball down intentionally, making it an incomplete pass, instead of losing yards?

Or, when a QB is rushed out of the pocket towards the sidelines, but the chasing defender angles him off and he won't make it back to the line of scrimmage. Why does the QB not just throw the ball 5 feet in front of him out of bounds?

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Legit questions always get stupid responses. Perhaps your brain will grow and you will gain intelligence and you might be able to provide an intelligent response someday! I don't pray, so I'm just going to hope you do get that intelligent brain some day.

Rooster Brooster posted:

I'm not 100% sure I'm parsing your question correctly, but since the ARI@JAX game is on Fox at 1pm, then CBS is free to show whatever it wants in either the 1pm or 4pm slot since they don't have teh doubleheader. If they moved the SD@MIA game to 4pm, then I'd guess that's what they're going to show for MAX RATINGS but I'm not sure how the whole "America's Game of the Week" fits into this; they might be forced to show only a 1pm game so a majority of the country watches the same game on FOX at 4pm (SF@NO).

I'd just wait and check out the TV maps - they'll be updated the week of.

Hrm, I guess I have a lot to learn about the primary market then. Is there no rule about not having a game up against the home market? The only rule is that the primary market needs to be shown their team?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hockles posted:

Say on a RB screen play, the RB knows he is going to get lit up behind the line of scrimmage. But he has time to catch the ball. Why doesn't he just swat the ball down intentionally, making it an incomplete pass, instead of losing yards?

Or, when a QB is rushed out of the pocket towards the sidelines, but the chasing defender angles him off and he won't make it back to the line of scrimmage. Why does the QB not just throw the ball 5 feet in front of him out of bounds?

RB: At worst it's a 2 yard loss, at best he can break/avoid the tackle and keep going

QB: Probably just a mental error, maybe he's looking downfield waiting for his guy to get open and doesn't get the ball out. I guess in theory you could try to draw a late hit call if you keep the ball and go out of bounds but how often does a QB run out anyway?

In either case taking the loss of a couple yards is way safer than opening up the possibility of a bad tip/lame duck pass and getting the ball turned over

e- I mean even without going through the logic of it, asking a football player to "give up" on a play in the heat of the moment is a tough thing to do

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 3, 2013

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Hockles posted:

In addition to what GNU Order said, I have actually seen RBs/WRs do this a couple of times... kinda. Usually it's more like he allows it to hit him in the hands and then intentionally drops/shoves it towards the ground so that he's not risking batting it up into the air or something. It's still dangerous if there's a defender about to be right on top of him.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hockles posted:

Also, what if the pass ends up being considered a lateral? Then the ball is live and the defense gets a turnover.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Chichevache posted:

Also, what if the pass ends up being considered a lateral? Then the ball is live and the defense gets a turnover.

I had that in mind when I posted, I just meant the more obvious forward pass scenario.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hockles posted:

He has to be able to get the ball back to the neutral zone, else this would be intentional grounding. The other consideration is that even if he does get the ball to the neutral zone, there may be a foul if the linemen think he's not going to pass and release to block for his run, and suddenly they've just become ineligibles downfield.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
Are halftime adjustments really a thing? Obviously you want to adjust your tactics as the game goes on, but why wouldn't you just do it during the course of play? With 5-10 minute drives plus 2 minutes each side for commercials, surely there's plenty of time for the coaching staff to decide what needs to be changed and communicate it to the players. But commentators make it sound as if it's only during halftime that teams materially alter what they're doing. What's special about that one 12-minute break that leads teams to make their biggest changes?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
1. Why is "prevent", as in "prevent defense", pronounced that way?

2. Tell me about Mike Singletary as coach. What little I've heard (which isn't much) makes him sound like an inexperienced spaz who only got a chance to coach because of his name. That can't be true, right?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

dokmo posted:

2. Tell me about Mike Singletary as coach. What little I've heard (which isn't much) makes him sound like an inexperienced spaz who only got a chance to coach because of his name. That can't be true, right?

1. Sports announcers.

2. The job sorta fell to him when the 49ers fired Mike Nolan. He farted out a 5-4 record in the last 9 games after Nolan had gone 2-5 and they gave him a shitass contract. He stuck around for a while being generally terrible before the Niners finally axed him. It was interesting towards the end of his tenure because everybody in the NFCW talked about how the 49ers had the most talented roster, but it didn't show on the field. He was completely outmatched in every facet of the game & employed terrible OC Jimmy Raye for far too long.

His career highlights are unfucking Vernon Davis and showing the team his butt. Also drafting Taylor Mays in the second round in 2010 only to have Jim Harbaugh immediately trade Mays for a ham sandwich upon his hiring because Taylor Mays is a bad football player.

He wanted WINNERS. And now that I think about it he was pretty much proto-Schiano.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
This may sound like a dumb question.... But what is in the catering carts on each team's side of the field? What do football players eat mid game?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
He was Schiano but far less malicious and more just a believer in the old 'yell at guys to fix their poo poo' school of motivation. Also, he was completely out of his depth in the game planning and management aspects. It wasn't necessarily that he only got hired because of his name, just that he kinda fell into the position by happenstance and then when the team ripped off some wins against a soft second-half schedule got way more credit than he deserved for the 'turnaround'.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

He did fix Vernon Davis, though, which is huge.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

dokmo posted:

I feel like it's because it's easier to yell at players with the long E on the first syllable. Assuming that's even what you mean.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mike Singletary marching his team out military-style in the season opener, only to get shithoused by the Seahawks, was still one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He's cool in my book.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Ugh, that loving game was the worst thing.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Bulls Hit posted:

Hrm, I guess I have a lot to learn about the primary market then. Is there no rule about not having a game up against the home market? The only rule is that the primary market needs to be shown their team?

If the primary market has a home game I think it has to be aired unopposed by another game. But if it's an away game then the other channel can show a game during that same time period if they want.

It's different in Week 17 when the NFL allows both CBS and FOX to show doubleheaders in all markets.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have to once again pimp Marcus Cooper, the rookie CB the Chiefs picked up from the 49ers cut list.

quote:

@bkissel7: Marcus Cooper is @PFF's No. 2 ranked CB in 'coverage' this year. Has to enter DROY discussion with Alonso, Richardson.

Marcus Cooper - 5/10/2013: Signed a four-year, $2.205 million contract. The deal included a $45,896 signing bonus.

Kid has made a pivotal play in every game he's played in this year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Niners cut him to make room for Nnamdi Asomugha, who they cut today. Go Niners.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

What are the rules for requiring NFL games for the local team to be broadcast on local stations? Specifically, if I live in the Twin Cities and the Vikings are playing on ESPN or NFLN, are they required to be on a local broadcast station (assuming no blackout)? They were on the local CBS affiliate for MNF - is that a requirement, or do the local stations just have the option to do so?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

What are the rules for requiring NFL games for the local team to be broadcast on local stations? Specifically, if I live in the Twin Cities and the Vikings are playing on ESPN or NFLN, are they required to be on a local broadcast station (assuming no blackout)? They were on the local CBS affiliate for MNF - is that a requirement, or do the local stations just have the option to do so?

Looks like those travel with the preseason games.

quote:

Monday Night Football is currently aired on ESPN, and Thursday Night Football is broadcast on the NFL Network; however, in the markets of the participating teams, the respective cable channel is blacked out. The cable station's feed in the markets of the participating teams airs via broadcast syndication to an over-the-air station. Typically, the team's flagship station for the preseason games will hold such rights, as teams will usually sell the preseason and local ESPN/NFL Network games as one package. Only over-the-air stations in the market of the participating teams may bid on this syndicated package.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
For someone with NFL Rewind/Gamepass, what would be decent gif-making or screen capture software for making gifs or short clip videos of plays. Is there something that would work better for this than just using fraps?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Gooncam is what you want. If you browse the gif thread, all my gifs were made with Gooncam. Then I stopped being able to view replays due to the NFL hating the technologically savvy, so there is a void to be filled.

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010
Hope this hasn't been asked or answered in the previous 64 pages. Often before the snap the center, QB, or other offensive lineman will stand up to point deliberately in some direction of the defense. I've never known why, but I assume it's to specifically point out some threat they see. Is this right?

Also, what's the significance of the words the QB shouts before the snap and/or to snap the ball? I hear "180" a lot, or (especially from Romo "180...187." What happened to the classic guttural "hut?"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Stavrogin posted:

Hope this hasn't been asked or answered in the previous 64 pages. Often before the snap the center, QB, or other offensive lineman will stand up to point deliberately in some direction of the defense. I've never known why, but I assume it's to specifically point out some threat they see. Is this right?

Also, what's the significance of the words the QB shouts before the snap and/or to snap the ball? I hear "180" a lot, or (especially from Romo "180...187." What happened to the classic guttural "hut?"

usually you are pointing out the mic backer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXjA8h1AhE

You want to mix up your snap count so it doesn't get obvious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewSS9h3pEAU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

hifi posted:

usually you are pointing out the mic backer:

It's Mike! They are all named. Mike is middle, Sam is strong, and Will is weak.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

What is that design painted near the sidelines of the 50 yard line at the Patriots stadium that looks somewhat like a gray face guard with a dark blue outline and yellow lines radiating out from it?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

SkunkDuster posted:

What is that design painted near the sidelines of the 50 yard line at the Patriots stadium that looks somewhat like a gray face guard with a dark blue outline and yellow lines radiating out from it?

It's a lighthouse.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bashez posted:

It's Mike! They are all named. Mike is middle, Sam is strong, and Will is weak.
What about a 3-4 defense?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CannonFodder posted:

What about a 3-4 defense?

I think Jack is the most common one (along with Mike, Will and Sam), but I've heard Joker too. From strong to weakside they'd line up Sam, Mike, Will, and Jack.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thanks. Is the Jack/Joker the one that is usually a hybrid DE/LB in the Merriman sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yup, that's the one. They'll generally be the ones sent to rush the passer although obviously that's not always the case.

• Locked thread