Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

greatn posted:

Given Tarquin's penchant for the dramatic, do you think he would accept a one on one dual with Roy?

An awesome duel with the random scrub holding his son back? Doubtful. I guess it depends on how impressed he was with Roy's performance back at the Arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

An awesome duel with the random scrub holding his son back? Doubtful. I guess it depends on how impressed he was with Roy's performance back at the Arena

Tarquin did mention he was highly impressed with Roy at the arena and recognized that it was Roy that planned the ambush in the Pyramid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
One thing that bothered me about the arenas duel was Roy completely cheated. He got outside assistance and drank a healing potion. Just didn't seem very fair or heroic.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

One thing that bothered me about the arenas duel was Roy completely cheated. He got outside assistance and drank a healing potion. Just didn't seem very fair or heroic.

Since when has the order been concerned with fighting fair?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

Hercules either got outside help or cheated at like half the Labors. Cheating is a classically heroic trait.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

UberJew posted:

Hercules either got outside help or cheated at like half the Labors. Cheating is a classically heroic trait.

I think they only call it cheating if you're a bad guy. If you're a good guy it counts as "using all available resources."

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

UberJew posted:

To be fair, he got called out on it twice.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One thing worth pointing out is that Thog, as a B-list antagonist, most likely has NPC stats and NPC wealth-by-level. In a "fair fight" with gladiator armaments, Roy is still capable of wrestling down Thog while he's raging. If they both had their regular equipment, Roy would wipe the floor with Thog, hands down.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mystic Mongol posted:

Think of it more like Tarquin killing his son's mentor in the classic Darth Vader kills Obi-Wan way, which at this point is pretty unavoidable since if he plans on killing Roy and several other Order members he's going to need to do it himself.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still love the MitD's line in the first panel of the next strip. Oh Rich :allears:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

greatn posted:

Going down like a chump in the name of honour isn't very heroic either.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I won't believe it's possible to kill Mr. Stiffly until it actually happens. And maybe not even then. :colbert:

(Sure, he's a cool character and all, but it's the MITD's friendship with him that made me a huge fan. :allears:)

VVVV I'm sure it's not an original opinion, but O-Chul is what paladins are supposed to be, and Miko was what paladins are generally played like.

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 23, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Part of me can't help but wonder how much differently the whole Azure City arc might have turned out if O-Chul had been the one to head to the Northern Lands to retrieve the Order instead of Miko.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

prefect posted:

VVVV I'm sure it's not an original opinion, but O-Chul is what paladins are supposed to be, and Miko was what paladins are generally played like.
Y'know, if normal Paladins had a Con in the mid 20s.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

prefect posted:

I won't believe it's possible to kill Mr. Stiffly until it actually happens. And maybe not even then. :colbert:

(Sure, he's a cool character and all, but it's the MITD's friendship with him that made me a huge fan. :allears:)

I'm quite worried that it might be O'Chul dying that ultimately forces MITD to flip sides. :ohdear:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I'm quite worried that it might be O'Chul dying that ultimately forces MITD to flip sides. :ohdear:

That would be the proudest day of O'Chul's existence.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Has there been any talk or plans involving an animated Order of the Stick?

Because I can't imagine Belkar's lines in the last panel being said in anyone other than H. Jon Benjamin's voice.

(Hell, you can just imagine Archer screaming "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!")

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I get the impression Burlew's considered it, but knows the spergiest parts of the fandom would flip its' poo poo at him over something in the video, no matter how big or small an "issue" it actually is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Something like this maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2mqPK16d4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's actually not bad.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

This is surprisingly good.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Noah posted:

Why would it be in any of his party's best interest to kill him? Up until now, Tarquin had/has a really good thing going. Sure they have to put up with his narrative nonsense, but its worked out pretty well for everyone villainous.

Okay but Tarquin's narrative nonsense is exactly why it's a good idea to jump ship right around now.

See, I used to read a comic that was almost as metahumor-y as OotS, and the bad guys based all their magic on a power called "Cynamatik" (I think you see where this is going, but I'll continue in case I'm wrong). As the name suggests, Cynamatik worked perfectly as long as it was narratively convenient and looked nice and flashy, but it would invariably turn on the user anytime it would make for a better story if they failed. The heroes had to work to keep it going that way but the downfall of the villains was ultimately that they were still trying to use Cynamatik in their climactic final confrontation.

In OotS, you don't have an inscrutable magic force doing this unexpectedly. You have a cunning old man who's been actively planning his own downfall since he found out his wife was pregnant, and now he's gearing up to make it happen. This is without question the time to set up a favor and then make that favor the guarantee of a nice, quiet retirement.

my dad posted:

This is surprisingly good.

I do not think I agree.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 24, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Buttass posted:

See, I used to read a comic that was almost as metahumor-y as OotS, and the bad guys based all their magic on a power called "Cynamatik" (I think you see where this is going, but I'll continue in case I'm wrong). As the name suggests, Cynamatik worked perfectly as long as it was narratively convenient and looked nice and flashy, but it would invariably turn on the user anytime it would make for a better story if they failed. The heroes had to work to keep it going that way but the downfall of the villains was ultimately that they were still trying to use Cynamatik in their climactic final confrontation.

Reminds me of something. Was it that one?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Regalingualius posted:

I get the impression Burlew's considered it, but knows the spergiest parts of the fandom would flip its' poo poo at him over something in the video, no matter how big or small an "issue" it actually is.
Why are you assuming Burlew would even care what a niche of his fandom would do or say, given those people are always busy being nuts?

It's more likely he wants to finish the main strip before moving onto other projects since he knows quality and quantity will both suffer.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Cat Mattress posted:

Reminds me of something. Was it that one?

That's the one. Nicely spotted.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Simian_Prime posted:

Has there been any talk or plans involving an animated Order of the Stick?

Because I can't imagine Belkar's lines in the last panel being said in anyone other than H. Jon Benjamin's voice.

(Hell, you can just imagine Archer screaming "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!")

H. Jon definitely has the sarcasm down, but his voice seems unaturally deep for Belkar. If it was me, I'd have him as Roy and use John DiMaggio as Belkar. And probably Billy West as Elan. Come to think of it, I could see Katy Seagal as Haley and yeah I guess it'd just end up being Futurama.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
See I'da pegged John DiMaggio for Roy maybe.

I always pictured Belkar's voice as being kinda higher. Like Neil Patrick Harris maybe.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Buttass posted:

I always pictured Belkar's voice as being kinda higher. Like Neil Patrick Harris maybe.

With his singing voice I think he'd make a great Elan, too.

Edit: Gilbert Gottfried for Belkar. Think about it.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 25, 2013

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

H. Jon definitely has the sarcasm down, but his voice seems unnaturally deep for Belkar.

That's what I want. Part of Belkar's shtick is that he's pretty much the polar opposite of the jolly, good-hearted Tolkien hobbit. Having a deeper baritone instead of the high-pitched squeaky voice we normally associate with halflings would be a plus.

Billy West was my first choice for Elan too. What can I say? - the guy's got a talent for playing affable idiots (Fry, Stimpy).

For Roy I'd go Phil Lamarr. Imaging Samurai Jack, but with the level of dry sarcasm and frustration that only being the leader of the OotS can bring.

And I'd get Dana Snyder (Master Shake) for Xykon. Hell, throw in Carey Means and Dave Willis for Redcloak and MitD... the dynamic between the three already has sort of an Aqua Teen Hunger Force vibe.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I would definitely like to see an OOTS animated series, but does the strip have an insurmountable lead on any TV adaptation, or would it catch up and then.. uh.. what happens in Western productions when that happens? I only ever see this stuff in anime.

Also I imagine making an adaptation of a webcomic that relies heavily on gags at the end of each strip and combining them seamlessly into a series of 24 minute episodes would test the sanity of most men. But nuts to them, their sacrifice serves the greater good, gimme

*Edit*

Simian_Prime posted:

And I'd get Dana Snyder (Master Shake) for Xykon.
I imagined it, can never take Xykon half-way seriously again, the only way it could be worse is if you suggested MC Chris oh now I imagined that :suicide:

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 25, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Zogundar posted:

I would definitely like to see an OOTS animated series, but does the strip have an insurmountable lead on any TV adaptation, or would it catch up and then.. uh.. what happens in Western productions when that happens? I only ever see this stuff in anime.

Rich, being Rich, would create all new content for the animation.

Simian_Prime posted:

And I'd get Dana Snyder (Master Shake) for Xykon. Hell, throw in Carey Means and Dave Willis for Redcloak and MitD... the dynamic between the three already has sort of an Aqua Teen Hunger Force vibe.

Carey Means might work for Roy, too. But seeing that trio voiced by that trio would be great. Dana Snyder would work great on the quips, but not so much the "power is power" monologues and such.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Zogundar posted:

I imagined it, can never take Xykon half-way seriously again, the only way it could be worse is if you suggested MC Chris oh now I imagined that :suicide:

See, I sort of imagine Xykon, as written, to be somebody who would be a complete buffoon if he weren't so goddamn dangerous. He's an undead monster, and an Epic-level sorcerer... but he's also basically a petulant child willing to get strung along on a vague "Unleash the Snarl + ? = PROFIT!!!" scheme if it means he can have fun killing people and making zombies along the way. The kind of villain who bungles his villainous monologues because he can't even be bothered to remember the hero's name. That just shouts out as a darker version of Master Shake to me.

But in the end, I think the biggest challenge an animated OotS might get pressure from producers into omitting a lot of the obvious D&D, particularly 3.5, references for fear of alienating a potential mainstream audience. Jokes about stuff like opportunity attacks or Vancian magic would probably go over the heads of the casual viewer.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Carey Means might work for Roy, too. But seeing that trio voiced by that trio would be great. Dana Snyder would work great on the quips, but not so much the "power is power" monologues and such.

Yeah, his is not a voice intended for focused megalomania.

Maybe Ron Perlman. He's been known to say some pretty silly poo poo in his day and no one doubts HIS capacity for a villainous monologue.

Zogundar posted:

Also I imagine making an adaptation of a webcomic that relies heavily on gags at the end of each strip and combining them seamlessly into a series of 24 minute episodes would test the sanity of most men. But nuts to them, their sacrifice serves the greater good, gimme

I would imagine, if they were going for full blown TV series type of thing, they would probably have to take the basic plot and character development outline and rewrite the whole thing from the ground up. If they wanted to stay truer to the source material I could see doing a web series with shorter episodes to better work with the whole "end on a gag" thing.

As for catching up, I can see two solutions: Either A) do what anime does and go "gently caress it" and just soldier on ahead, probably diverging wildly from the source material, or B) devote the animated series to side stories. Or C) do the Excel Saga thing and make something up out of whole cloth, with an "Approved By Rich" gag for each specific deviation.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Buttass posted:

Maybe Ron Perlman. He's been known to say some pretty silly poo poo in his day and no one doubts HIS capacity for a villainous monologue.

I think there can only be one voice for Xykon when it comes to villainous monologuing, Tony Jay. Megabyte, Count Frollo, Pontius Pilot...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think there can only be one voice for Xykon when it comes to villainous monologuing, Tony Jay. Megabyte, Count Frollo, Pontius Pilot...

While he would have been perfect, I have some bad news for you...

(Seriously, I was cracking up over the idea of MC Chris for Xykon, but Tony Jay totally redeems him.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I always read Xykon in Denis Leary's voice. It just seems to fit. He always struck me as a supreme sarcastic rear end in a top hat, not a deep voiced villain that fits Tony Jay's voice.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Everyone is voiced by Gary Busey.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Redcloak voiced by Alan Rickman and Xykon voiced by Will Ferrell. And they have to record all their lines in one sitting, in the same room together, so we can really get that exasperated feeling from Redcloak as the series goes on. :allears:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I always hear Xykon as the Robot Devil myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

I always hear Xykon as the Robot Devil myself.

Oh my. This is perfect. I will too from now on.