Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shrapnac posted:

What's on the wheels in the 2nd pic? Boots or chocks, or hopefully it's being towed.

Scales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

First generation ravs are one of those cars where the engine and drivetrain will still be going when the rest of the car has been melted away when the sun expands to a red giant several billion years from now.

I feel like the next generation of sleeper cars is gonna have to be early Japanese cute-utes because they've clearly overtaken large sedans as the most common car on the road.

Now just to figure out how much boost a RAV4 block can take before the head walks off.

e: gently caress that, first gen CRV and RAV4 resale is loving insane for a 20 year old SUV. Idiots must be buying them used because they're surely safer than a five year old used car, dur dur.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Slavvy posted:

First generation ravs are one of those cars where the engine and drivetrain will still be going when the rest of the car has been melted away when the sun expands to a red giant several billion years from now.

The original RAV4 was Corolla based so I can definitely believe it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Truck almost went off the bridge. Luckily he had 9 other trucks in the bed.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Yeah, they look like scales. Either way, [what appear to be NYS] troopers might let a bit of speed by, but I doubt they'd let that continue.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tobu posted:

I've always had a lot of fun thrashing the poo poo out of rav4's. Goon, I Know the Answer to That, owns one and it has taken an obscene amount of punishment. Plus when I was helping his dad change his fuel filter on his Rav4 (it doesn't have one that needs to be changed for like a million miles) I found it has a secondary gear stick in the engine bay coming directly off the gear box.

That said the paint is shot on both Rav's.

If you have to choose between replacing the rear wheel bearings and self trepanation I recommend the latter. At least on a first gen.

Did those on my aunt's and holy gently caress that was a lovely job. The new bearings come without the hub flange pressed into the unit bearing because... drumroll... Toyota thought it would be wise to make the stackup go: knuckle, unit bearing, brake backing plate, bolts. And the flange won't fit through the backing plate, so you get to separate the bearing and the flange, somehow remove the outer wheel bearing cone remains from the flange/splined hub, then press the flange into the new unit bearing with the brake backing plate in between without destroying any of the seals.

And if you live in the salt belt, the stupid tiny metric bolts that hold the parking brake cables to the backing plates are guaranteed to snap off, leaving you attempting to drill the world's hardest steel bolt stubs out of a piece of cheesy corroded cast aluminum on the end of the brake cable sheath, which works out about how you'd expect unless you have the patience of a saint. Fortunately I do once I have exhausted my repertoire of 4 letter words. Why can't you just replace the brake cables, I hear you cry? Why, because Toyota decided to put them over the fuel tank and trap them with it, so if those bolts are corroded and break while you're dropping the tank enough to get them out, the fuel tank straps/bolts and the pressure line from the pump to the chassis are probably solid balls of rust too, so I hope you don't mind replacing those at the same time... and the strap bolts go up into weldnuts inside a unibody stiffening rail. See where this is going? Straight to hell that's where! :can:

Fortunately I succeeded in drilling out the bolt stubs and through bolted the side that had been a problem, but the shop I brought the wheel bearings to to have them pressed in managed to monkeyfuck one of the seals so I will probably need to do it all again in 10-20k miles. This time I know what's up and will bring a shop press with me though.

e: on the redesign a few years later from the rav4.1 to the rav4.2 they became sane and put the loving rear unit bearing mounting flanges where any sane person would so the stackup is knuckle/backing plate/bearing/bolt and it's a 30 minute simple remove/replace project like you would assume it to be.

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 24, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

If you have to choose between replacing the rear wheel bearings and self trepanation I recommend the latter. At least on a first gen.

Did those on my aunt's and holy gently caress that was a lovely job. The new bearings come without the hub flange pressed into the unit bearing because... drumroll... Toyota thought it would be wise to make the stackup go: knuckle, unit bearing, brake backing plate, bolts. And the flange won't fit through the backing plate, so you get to separate the bearing and the flange, somehow remove the outer wheel bearing cone remains from the flange/splined hub, then press the flange into the new unit bearing with the brake backing plate in between without destroying any of the seals.

And if you live in the salt belt, the stupid tiny metric bolts that hold the parking brake cables to the backing plates are guaranteed to snap off, leaving you attempting to drill the world's hardest steel bolt stubs out of a piece of cheesy corroded cast aluminum on the end of the brake cable sheath, which works out about how you'd expect unless you have the patience of a saint. Fortunately I do once I have exhausted my repertoire of 4 letter words. Why can't you just replace the brake cables, I hear you cry? Why, because Toyota decided to put them over the fuel tank and trap them with it, so if those bolts are corroded and break while you're dropping the tank enough to get them out, the fuel tank straps/bolts and the pressure line from the pump to the chassis are probably solid balls of rust too, so I hope you don't mind replacing those at the same time... and the strap bolts go up into weldnuts inside a unibody stiffening rail. See where this is going? Straight to hell that's where! :can:

Fortunately I succeeded in drilling out the bolt stubs and through bolted the side that had been a problem, but the shop I brought the wheel bearings to to have them pressed in managed to monkeyfuck one of the seals so I will probably need to do it all again in 10-20k miles. This time I know what's up and will bring a shop press with me though.

e: on the redesign a few years later from the rav4.1 to the rav4.2 they became sane and put the loving rear unit bearing mounting flanges where any sane person would so the stackup is knuckle/backing plate/bearing/bolt and it's a 30 minute simple remove/replace project like you would assume it to be.

Try a timing belt on a jap import one with the BEAMS 3s-ge and ABS. Definitely in my top 5 jobs where I just wanted to pack all my tools away and leave work forever.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
OH HELL NO MY RIMS! gently caress! poo poo!!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f9f_1382587962

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know what you think is terrible about that. I think it's marvelous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't know what you think is terrible about that. I think it's marvelous.

It is wonderful and makes me happy.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Well you're absolutely right I guess :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

`Nemesis posted:

There is justice in the world...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

Ashes to Ashes, Trash to Trash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"This can not be happening whatsoever."

That sentence really bothered me for some reason.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I bet those ladies were just blown away by his driving talent, and how well he kept his composure when things went wrong.

The only thing that could have made it better was if the women were undercover police.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So did he get laid?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yes, by Rosy Palmer and her five sisters.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

some texas redneck posted:

Yes, by Rosy Palmer and her five sisters.

Mrs Palmer and her five daughters

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Usually, I'm the one adding a new level of creepy to a conversation.

:golfclap:

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Come on guys his CD player just went all the way in!
WHAT THE gently caress ARE THEY GOING TO DO NOW???

gently caress!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
And the "gently caress em up bro, gently caress em up" at the beginning. The way he says it, so incredibly angry, as if he were talking about someone he just caught breaking into his house that he literally intended to kill with a bat or a crowbar. And not a bunch of girls he knew just sitting in another car over there.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And the "gently caress em up bro, gently caress em up" at the beginning.

"Post terrible car stuff in this thread - gently caress em up bro, gently caress em up" should be the new title for this thread.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What was he trying to do? take a right turn after they spotted cops?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
This NEVER would have happened if he would've just drifted in a big circle around their car until they decided to give him their number. loving rookies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I love that one of the tags on the video is "VTEC kicked in yo"

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm visiting my aunt and uncle in az and they were telling me about how they had to get all the hard brake lines replaced in their ~02 yukon because they had rusted (car was in ontario until recently), and it has cost them thousands of dollars. So I'm driving it to go meet up with some people last night and notice the brakes don't feel all that great. Start driving back, after a few stops the brake light comes on. Get it home, take a look under the car and the frame rail and crossmember on the driver's side are soaked with brake fluid and it is dripping onto the ground. MC reservoir is empty. All the lines at the front- from the MC to the ABS and ABS to the front wheels are rusted and the one line to a front wheel is what is leaking. My uncle does not seem as angry as I think he should be.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Did you explain to him that he and everyone else in the car almost died?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Why.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hell of a parking job tho.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011