Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

MaliciousOnion posted:

Even though we've already had two? I'm not surprised the Minecraft one went ahead but I didn't expect BTTF to.

I think the key is how old the license is. There's not a lot of BTTF licensed items in production right now, and I'm sure the license for it did not cost a fortune. It also helps that the Delorean is very iconic and makes for a great quick, one off set.... it bears a lot of similarities to possibilities for a Ghostbusters set. Probably have Ecto-1, a few Ghostbusters, and maybe Slimer.

For the Zelda license, the biggest problem is that someone else (Knex) has the license for building toys for Mario and probably all of Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The thing with Zelda is also that they don't just want like, a neat little dungeon room and a Link figure, they want an absolute poo poo ton of new molds made for hookshots, specific shields from the game, little bombs, etc. Lego has said over and over that they're not going to pursue anything that requires them to mold a bunch of new parts cause that poo poo costs hell of cash money.

When I was a kid you just put the green do-rag from the Forestwoman on a figure and it was awesome.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Is it OK to trade minifigs? I just bought 4 series 9 packs and got 3 knights and the chicken suit guy. I can provide pics.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Sweet mother of god... My buddy just bought me the Super Star Destroyer as an early Christmas present. Holy gently caress, this box is massive, I don't even know where to keep this thing; my apartments way too small for it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

Sweet mother of god... My buddy just bought me the Super Star Destroyer as an early Christmas present. Holy gently caress, this box is massive, I don't even know where to keep this thing; my apartments way too small for it.

You better suck that buddies dick for Christmas then. That's a badass gift.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Having 30% off and a budget of $150 makes it REALLY hard to choose sets (2.5 hours hard, haha). I also got a Wonder Woman keychain for the wifey.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
You will not regret that Galaxy Squad pick. It's an amazing set.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I wonder just how much that Exosuit will be 'streamlined'.
Some of those parts aren't even in production (the toothed bushings, the flat hinges used around the waist), and I'm bet it's full of 'illegal' connections (I know the half-pins inserted into the grey minifig heads are illegal), but a lot of it is just greeble decoration. I think the final model will be a bigger departure from the original than the Delorean was.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have to say, the builds for the modular buildings are just on the edge of the line between Lego as "play" vs. "work". In particular, I just built the Grand Emporium and that had some really tedious parts. Steps with 30 or 60 of the same part being stacked for columns, and places where the callout box says x10 at the bottom right. Plus the third floor is practically identical to the second floor, which isn't fun at all. At least this time I learned and did only one instruction set per session.

I will say that one advantage of the repetition is that it makes mods like this possible:

Edit: Or this crazy thing, which is 12x $150 sets:

And this model in particular is neat because you can literally buy four, build them stock from instructions, and connect them to make a very cool complete building. I wouldn't want to do it, but it's neat.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 24, 2013

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I'm thinking about picking up another modular with some of the points that I have and to take advantage of the last few days of double points so I have even more when the Restaurant comes out
I have the Town Hall, Haunted House, and Palace Cinema
Which of the Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, or Grand Emporium is the best?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm thinking about picking up another modular with some of the points that I have and to take advantage of the last few days of double points so I have even more when the Restaurant comes out

Personally I like the Pet Shop best, but I'm probably in a minority on that one. Two separate buildings, one an awesome NY style brownstone, the other this awesome little store with apartment above it.

The Fire Station is also really nice, however, and it'll be the next one they retire, so that might be a better option.

Grand Emporium, while looking great when it's done, is a really tedious build, as noted a few posts above.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They basically stopped retiring the modular sets in 2010, so who knows what the next one to go will be. I would not be surprised if it wasn't Fire Brigade, but something newer that isn't selling well. Or Town Hall because it's more expensive.

Café Corner - April 2007 - Nov 2009
Market Street - July 2007 - May 2009
Green Grocer - Mar 2008 - March 2010
Fire Brigade - Sept 2009 - ?
Grand Emporium - March 2010 - ?
Pet Shop - May 2011 - ?
Town Hall - March 2012 - ?
Palace Cinema - March 2013 - ?
Parisian Restaurant - Jan 2014 - ?

Certainly from the Lego company perspective, it doesn't make much sense to retire years-old sets that people are still buying to "complete their collection."

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 24, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Have Lego ever rereleased a set, like the earlier modulars, or?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

PriorMarcus posted:

Have Lego ever rereleased a set, like the earlier modulars, or?

They rereleased the Black Seas Barracuda, which was awesome.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

The_Doctor posted:

Personally I like the Pet Shop best, but I'm probably in a minority on that one. Two separate buildings, one an awesome NY style brownstone, the other this awesome little store with apartment above it.

Pet Shop is my favorite modular as well, followed by Green Grocer. It doesn't suffer from the repetitiveness as most large sets do and the 2 buildings just feel right when completed, not overly large yet not too small either.

The new restaurant looks really great and it will probably replace GG as my second favorite modular.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I don't follow Cuusoo closely or anything, but I'd love to see more retro-style sets. I feel like everything posted there is the same no-stud style that everybody uses for their professional MOCs. I'd rather buy an old-school spaceship or pirate ship with tons of studs showing.

(Also, a "just reissue Ice Planet" Cuusoo would be awesome. :getin:)

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

It was a long while since I had done anything Lego, and then I decided to start doing it again. In order to limit the money poured into buying Lego I decided to stick to a theme. I kind of failed.

Where is the best place online to get discontinued products? Because I really want to add Sonic Boom to my collection as it is the only Lego delta-wing I've seen so far. Some of the bricks in it are not for sale in the Pick-A-Brick section.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The_Doctor posted:

The Fire Station is also really nice, however, and it'll be the next one they retire, so that might be a better option.

Grand Emporium, while looking great when it's done, is a really tedious build, as noted a few posts above.

Not in the minority, the Pet Shop is awesome.

I still have to get the cinema, and I'll definitely get the restaurant too.

Others on my wishlist are the Sidney Opera, Orthanc, and the Architect Studio.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I have been going back and forth about the modulars. I really want the Opera House, but I can't justify that sort of money on Lego at the moment and I've got Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium and Town Hall. Out of all the modulars, I really fancy buying Palace Cinema but I think I would be irritated further down the line if buying the cinema meant I missed out on Pet Shop...and all the love for it here is reassuring!

I've still got my Imperial Flagship to build. I keep toying with selling it (to afford the Opera House) but I would be gutted if someone tried to screw me over in an eBay sale.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Iced Cocoa posted:

Where is the best place online to get discontinued products? Because I really want to add Sonic Boom to my collection as it is the only Lego delta-wing I've seen so far. Some of the bricks in it are not for sale in the Pick-A-Brick section.

Bricklink or ebay. Craigslist and shopgoodwill are good for getting generic old sets, you'll probably never find a specific one you want though unless you're super patient.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Testro posted:

I really want the Opera House, but I can't justify that sort of money on Lego at the moment

I just have a hard time ever justifying $330. Most of my big LEGO purchases I can only justify by it being on sale at Amazon, or having a lot of VIP points and a cool bonus at Shop Lego. Or a short period where I said "I'll buy two and then resell the second one!" but I've decided that was dumb.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Iced Cocoa posted:

It was a long while since I had done anything Lego, and then I decided to start doing it again. In order to limit the money poured into buying Lego I decided to stick to a theme. I kind of failed.

Sonic Boom is so loving worth it. I got mine used on Ebay with Fast Flyers and the mini versions for $100.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All those studs. :allears:

How could anyone not build stuff like that.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Tanith posted:

Sonic Boom is so loving worth it. I got mine used on Ebay with Fast Flyers and the mini versions for $100.

Oh my God the small one to the far right! Where can I get that? What's its Lego number?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Iced Cocoa posted:

Oh my God the small one to the far right! Where can I get that? What's its Lego number?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My local Target had the Lego Halloween witch face polybags hidden away on a shelf in the Halloween section, instead of at checkout or by the normal Lego area.

Just a heads up.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Heads up Canadagoons, Toys 'R Us has select Lord of the Rings sets on sale for week 5 of Bricktober, and it includes Tower of Orthanc for 20% off; 200 bucks before taxes, compared to 250 from Shop at Home.

EDIT: turns out that was for last week's promotion, and it wasn't even supposed to be discounted as it's an Exclusive set and Lego said they don't want those to have discounts applied to them.

Guzwar fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 25, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Another factor is that Fire Brigade has a vehicle. For me, that's a negative since I don't have space to display it and it just sits in the garage, but if you already have the Palace Cinema you probably solved that issue and it's a nice thing to put in the street.

Speaking of vehicles, are there any stand-alone ones that match the modular scale? The normal City trucks are the same width but seem to be about 3/4 scale.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

smackfu posted:

Another factor is that Fire Brigade has a vehicle. For me, that's a negative since I don't have space to display it and it just sits in the garage, but if you already have the Palace Cinema you probably solved that issue and it's a nice thing to put in the street.

I wound up ordering the Pet Shop - I feel like it offers the most variety compared to what I already have

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I almost forgot I wanted to share this. The ULug president's birthday was last month and I couldn't make it to his party, so at the last meeting I gave him this guy. He loves pirates and he's been really impressed with my stuff, so I thought he'd enjoy it:

Blackskull the Fortunate, so named because he always told people he had a black skull under his flesh. No one ever believed him, until a nasty cannonball accident required the best pirate technology to put him in swaggering-shape again.

I told him he could use the pieces or keep it as is, and he said "Heck no, this is a collectible now.":3:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I imagine he says "arrrrgh matey" in a very loud robo mechanical monotone

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I have 4 chicken suit guys repeated. What can I do?
Nice scores Infineight, I really like the chima eagle ships.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

For those who know the Tested guys, they're doing their 24hour charity pod/videocast right now and this hour is all about Lego. I'd post the youtube livestream but it's trying to imbed it and I think that's a no-no anymore. tested.com should have it though.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
They had a guy on who made this cuusoo set which is awesome and everyone should vote for it.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Here it is (archived)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRm4-cPiwtw

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just got the Delorean and I like it with reservations. The moving parts made the build a little difficult and it definitely doesn't look as good as the Cuusoo submission. I might have to do the mod to make the hood look better. On the other hand, it's just so cool.

I also picked up the LOTR Wizard Battle set because of the minifigures and c'mon, it's fighting wizards. Got a blind bag with the Ginger Bread man and it's pretty neat that his head is a little sandwich cookie, I wasn't expecting that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cloks posted:

I just got the Delorean and I like it with reservations. The moving parts made the build a little difficult and it definitely doesn't look as good as the Cuusoo submission. I might have to do the mod to make the hood look better. On the other hand, it's just so cool.

I'm in the processes of doing a complete overhaul of the DeLorean, working from the front backwards. Thankfully they give you all* of the pieces you need.

WIP:

*most

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
A local store has 4 sets of 9491 marked down to $15 a set. Any one interested? I can grab'em for ya.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Anyone had any experience with missing shipments from Bricklink? Ordered from a guy in Czech Republic and he changed the status to shipped on the 8th but it has yet to appear. I emailed the guy a few days ago but haven't gotten any responses. I didn't want to just cancel the paypal transaction but I also don't want to let it get past the point of no return on getting my money back. Wasn't sure if Bricklink people would try and ban me if the seller finally reappeared and made it seem like I had backed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ChesterJT posted:

Anyone had any experience with missing shipments from Bricklink? Ordered from a guy in Czech Republic and he changed the status to shipped on the 8th but it has yet to appear. I emailed the guy a few days ago but haven't gotten any responses. I didn't want to just cancel the paypal transaction but I also don't want to let it get past the point of no return on getting my money back. Wasn't sure if Bricklink people would try and ban me if the seller finally reappeared and made it seem like I had backed out.

The only time I've had something not arrive was from the Czech Republic too. PM me the store name?