Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

axleblaze posted:

I pretty much agree with this. There's a few things that probably should have stayed cut, but there's at least one long scene that was put back in that adds way more to the movie than anything else takes away.

Though the double feature has the bonus of having all the fake trailers put back in.

I literally just finished watching Death Proof for the first time minutes ago, and loved it. It was the extended version, what scene was added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Leper Residue posted:

I literally just finished watching Death Proof for the first time minutes ago, and loved it. It was the extended version, what scene was added?

I might be missing something but in the original, instead of having the lap dance it just shows a "missing reel" and cuts to afterwards and honestly it works better that way. The main thing the extended adds is the black and white scene at the convenience store which really does make the film a hell of alot stronger.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The most Tarantino scene: the one where Kurt Russell sees what's her name's feet hanging out of the car and he pervs out.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

axleblaze posted:

I might be missing something but in the original, instead of having the lap dance it just shows a "missing reel" and cuts to afterwards and honestly it works better that way. The main thing the extended adds is the black and white scene at the convenience store which really does make the film a hell of alot stronger.

The lap dance happens for about a minute, and then does the cut to afterwards. And I was wondering why the movie was suddenly black and white, that seems like an odd scene to leave out.

Edit: yeah, the feet thing was weird, as was watching Kurt Russel slurp down some nachos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

I always defend Creepshow 2, probably because of the six stories that make up the two movies The Raft is my favorite. I just recently read the short story though and I now wonder why they changed the guy actually convincing the girl to have sex with him right before she gets eaten. In the movie he starts copping a feel while she's still asleep. I also think its got the best ending of any of the Creepshow stories.

I like Creepshow 1 because it is a homage to EC Comics, not Stephen King. Also five stories flows much, much better than three.

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh man, if I'd realized Cat's Eye had films of Quitters, Inc and The Ledge, I'd have seen it years ago. Those are two of my favorite King stories.

My dream King anthology would be a "serious" take on Trucks, I Am The Doorway, The Lawnmower Man, Grey Matter, and The Mangler. All of those stories have a really lurid EC comics feel that none of the feature length adaptations really manage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like Creepshow 1 because it is a homage to EC Comics, not Stephen King. Also five stories flows much, much better than three.

My dream King anthology would be a "serious" take on Trucks, I Am The Doorway, The Lawnmower Man, Grey Matter, and The Mangler. All of those stories have a really lurid EC comics feel that none of the feature length adaptations really manage.

King overseeing a revival of Shock SuspenStories or Tales From the Crypt would be pretty baller.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That reminds me! One of my favorite horror trivia things I've read in the past few months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyYCy9IQUI

William Sadler as Mr. Rush, a wheelchair bound tough guy and the host of the failed pilot of the Tales From The Crypt spinoff, Two Fisted Tales.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
I know this thread is Hellraiser central, buuuut I don't think this has been posted yet (from Barker's Facebook):

quote:

HOT FROM HELL! My friends,I have some news which may be of interest to you. A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures,in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first HELLRAISER film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity-honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film-was attractive to Dimension. Today I have officially been invited to write the script based upon that pitch.

What can I tell you about it? Well, it will not be a film awash with CGI. I remain as passionate about the power of practical make-up effects as I was when I wrote and directed the first HELLRAISER. Of course the best make-up in the world loses force if not inhabited by a first-rate actor. I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley,and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed. So once the papers are signed , I will open a Lemarchand Configuration,dip my quill in its contents and start writing . I promise that there will be nowhere on the Internet where the news of my progress will be more reliable than here ,because the only author of these reports will be

Your Infernal Corespondent,
me.

My very best wishes to you all,my friends.
Clive.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That reminds me! One of my favorite horror trivia things I've read in the past few months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyYCy9IQUI

William Sadler as Mr. Rush, a wheelchair bound tough guy and the host of the failed pilot of the Tales From The Crypt spinoff, Two Fisted Tales.

I love you like a brother.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Not well. Tim Curry is good, but that's about it.

THIS IS BATTERY ACID YOU SLIME.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

I love you like a brother.

Ey, come here ya big lug.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I still haven't gotten through Trucks (the DTV movie), although I've seen Maximum Overdrive a few times. I loved the short story, and the other adaptation seemed closer from the 10 minutes I managed to sit through.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Saw and generally liked Grave Encounters. I actually preferred the hosed-up spatial stuff to the ghostly apparition stuff; I was wondering how they were going to cram the rest of the movie into the 30 minutes of narrative time remaining, and then of course the exit turned out not to be an exit, the roof access stairwell led to a solid wall, etc. It had sort of a House of Leaves vibe. Are there other films out that that deal more heavily in that kind of thing? Claustrophobic spaces, impossible architecture?

e:

saulwright posted:

I know this thread is Hellraiser central, buuuut I don't think this has been posted yet (from Barker's Facebook):

I remember hearing back in like 2008 that the guy or guys who did Inside had been tapped to direct the Hellraiser remake and got my hopes all up :smith:

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 25, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Willow Creek isn't bad by any means, but I wanted it to be better. To Bobcat's credit, it's a perfectly serviceable found footage horror that has one really great 19-minute long-take scene that's genuinely scary, but doesn't achieve much beyond that. It's nearly note-for-note structured like Blair Witch 1, with more likeable leads. I enjoyed myself while watching it but didn't leave me with much of anything. When Bobcat said in the Q&A that he went to Willow Creek with the intention of making a Christopher Guest-style movie about the Bigfoot community, I felt a little disappointed because I think I would've preferred that film.

On the other hand, Banshee Chapter was truly one of the scariest movies I've seen all year. I know I've said that about Afflicted and Oculus already this year, but guys, this has been a really great year for horror. Banshee relies a lot on jump scares, but makes up for it with a completely original story based around the MK-ULTRA trials in the 70's, with elements of Lovecraft, Number Stations, and psychedelic culture (Ted Levine is brilliant as a mashup of Timothy Leary and Hunter S Thompson). There's an interesting mix of found-footage and run-and-gun camerawork here, and I like how seamlessly they use actual archival footage and re-creations. There's a ton of legit research that went into this one, and some really great set pieces as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6oc07wCNM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2011276/

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 25, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ted Levine! Huzzah!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

a slim spar posted:

Saw and generally liked Grave Encounters. I actually preferred the hosed-up spatial stuff to the ghostly apparition stuff; I was wondering how they were going to cram the rest of the movie into the 30 minutes of narrative time remaining, and then of course the exit turned out not to be an exit, the roof access stairwell led to a solid wall, etc. It had sort of a House of Leaves vibe. Are there other films out that that deal more heavily in that kind of thing? Claustrophobic spaces, impossible architecture?

The sequel does some neat stuff with the spatial distortion but the plot is fairly crap.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the other hand, Banshee Chapter was truly one of the scariest movies I've seen all year. I know I've said that about Affliction and Oculus already this year, but guys, this has been a really great year for horror. Banshee relies a lot on jump scares, but makes up for it with a completely original story based around the MK-ULTRA trials in the 70's, with elements of Lovecraft, Number Stations, and psychedelic culture (Ted Levine is brilliant as a mashup of Timothy Leary and Hunter S Thompson). There's an interesting mix of found-footage and run-and-gun camerawork here, and I like how seamlessly they use actual archival footage and re-creations. There's a ton of legit research that went into this one, and some really great set pieces as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6oc07wCNM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2011276/

This looks pretty amazing.

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior

saulwright posted:

On a completely unrelated note: as someone who hasn't seen it in about a decade, how does It hold up after all these years? I'm getting together with some friends tomorrow who (for whatever reason) want to watch a couple of King adaptations other than The Shining. DePalma's Carrie will be one of them, but I need a second.

I recently watched It with a friend and it totally doesn't hold up. Strangely a year ago I watched it by myself and loved it, but I think it purely for nostalgic reasons. My favorite horror Stephen King movies are Pet Semetary and The Mist. For non-horror, I always fall back on the Dead Zone

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm not a big fan of Stephen King's books, but Carrie, The Mist, Pet Sematary, and The Shining are all near-perfect horror movies.

e: House on Haunted Hill remake is so much fun. It's been years since I've seen this.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 25, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gonz posted:

Ted Levine! Huzzah!

He is so, so good in this. I certainly couldn't picture him playing Hunter S Thompson but there it is, onscreen.

The director said that it'll drop on VOD in January and Bluray in February.

e: Oh yeah, and Zachary Quinto is listed with an Executive Producer credit for whatever reason. He doesn't appear but I thought it was odd.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 25, 2013

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm not a big fan of Stephen King's books, but Carrie, The Mist, Pet Sematary, and The Shining are all near-perfect horror movies.

e: House on Haunted Hill remake is so much fun. It's been years since I've seen this.

I'm hoping you put Pet Sematary in there as a joke or are recommending it as a near-perfect comedy.
I like the scene where the protagonist wakes up from a dream and bangs his head and goes "ooohhh!! aaaah!!" and stumbles around while his wife is being murdered. Spoilers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pet Sematary is ridiculous. Outside of the scenes with Zelda, it's more funny than anything. Even the scene where he syringes the kid and the kid falls down and bangs his head on the door is laugh out loud funny. Carrie, The Mist and The Shining, I'll give you.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Pet Sematary Closed Captioning:

code:
Hey uh, Louis
code:
[cheers, applause]
code:
your son's runnin' out to th'road!

code:
[laughter]

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good Fred Gwynn, though. Especially funny is when the kid's father in law shows up to the funeral and goes in on him.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Was Pet Semetary the movie where the dog chased the cat up a tree and kind of just swallows it whole? Or I am remembering a much different, more awesome movie?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Was Pet Semetary the movie where the dog chased the cat up a tree and kind of just swallows it whole? Or I am remembering a much different, more awesome movie?

I think that was Cujo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One of the kids in SPAA calls sex "slam-hogging".

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

One of the kids in SPAA calls sex "slam-hogging".

Are they wrong, really?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Are they wrong, really?

Of course not. The end credits montage is so great, too. I'm a little on edge since there hasn't been a VHS3 announced.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I sure hope VHS 3 features a haunted Laserdisc.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still want to see one that features a haunted Sega CD game.

F/M/V

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I'd like to think it's only because they haven't come up with a name. 90's nostalgia is in full swing so lets just do a haunted laserdisc.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Now that I think about it, playing Sewer Shark and Night Trap DID sorta make me feel like killing myself....

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm still kind of annoyed they changed the title of S-VHS to V/H/S/2. At least I got to see it with the original title though.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I'm waiting for VHS 0: Betamax, with a segment from the Everything is Terrible! people.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

saulwright posted:

I can't believe no one else is commenting on this, because it's loving fantastic news.

Has there ever been a time where a filmmaker outright remade their own movie? Because I can't think of one.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I can't believe no one else is commenting on this, because it's loving fantastic news.

Has there ever been a time where a filmmaker outright remade their own movie? Because I can't think of one.

There are a few examples. The Grudge. Ben Hur. Michael Mann (LA Takedown/Heat) Hitchcock (Man Who Knew Too Much). Haneke (Funny Games). Whoever did The Vanishing.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

Doug Bradley would be the first person to tell you that he's looking a bit too old to play a character like Pinhead. I understand that this is a remake/reboot or whatever too so they can (re)establish the character as being older but people are going to make the comparison.

Also the original Hellraiser was perfect and doesn't need a remake.

What I would find to be fantastic news is if Clive Barker said he wanted to make a new film using practical effects and that he's cooked up a new franchise that he and others feel is as promising as Hellraiser was.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Yeah, I'd like to think it's only because they haven't come up with a name. 90's nostalgia is in full swing so lets just do a haunted laserdisc.

If they miss out on the opportunity to use V/H/S CH03, I'm just gonna flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

The one thing he said that got me excited was that it will not rely heavily on CGI. Although really I only care about the Frank reconstituting himself scene, if that is CGI I'll be pissed.