Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

axolotl farmer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaPzM4ExbJ4

What are they saying?

Lady: Think of a sentence.
Guy: Want sex.

:confused:

:zombie: They should like me, I'm a nice guy.
;-* Finish the sentence.
:zombie: ... who wants sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

How much safety margin is there for best before dates? Is it the same across the world? I'm eating grapes that supposedly went off on the 22nd, but they were refrigerated and they seem fine, so I'm not too bothered. It's not the oldest fruit I've eaten. Are my 3 day overdue grapes going to kill me? What if I bought them from a walmart or something in the US rather than a Tesco in London?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MooCowlian posted:

How much safety margin is there for best before dates? Is it the same across the world? I'm eating grapes that supposedly went off on the 22nd, but they were refrigerated and they seem fine, so I'm not too bothered. It's not the oldest fruit I've eaten. Are my 3 day overdue grapes going to kill me? What if I bought them from a walmart or something in the US rather than a Tesco in London?

I've never seen a best by date on grapes. If they look fine, eat them grapes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MooCowlian posted:

For most foods, the "best before" dates are merely a time chosen to indicate when a store should stop selling them, because the customer can be expected to wait additional time after they buy it before using it. E.g. if the grapes will go nasty tasting in 2 months from when they were packaged, they'll print a "best before" date on there of like 6 weeks, so that there's a 2 week margin beyond that for the customer to eat them before they go bad tasting. And even after they start to taste kinda bad, they should still be safe to eat assuming proper storage for a good while afterwards. There usually isn't a consistent time rule across products, if I remember right the various food companies each have their own way of doing things.

Essentially, the dates printed are there for the convenience of the store being made aware that the inventory needs to be shifted out before anything really bad happens to it, because they might be liable if they keep it on the shelves long enough that the product willb e a health hazard by going bad.

There are some cases where laws impose a date though - typically in the US, milk will be marked with a "sell by" date that's 6 or 7 days from when the milk was pasteurized and packaged. However, in New York City the law is that the sell by date must be no more than 4 days after that process. So a lot of milk sold in and around the city is marked with two sell by dates: one for the city itself, and one for the surrounding area.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Best by dates are really just a guess and for fruit they don't really mean much of anything. As long as fruit isn't moldy or super, super old and fermented you're fine eating it.

Even with meats and eggs and stuff your nose is a far better judge of whether something is okay to eat or not than a date on a box. If it smells wrong, don't eat it. If it smells fine, it's fine.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

If they are firm and look good - rinse them just in case and eat.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Vegetable posted:

Is there a way to remove a sticker off something while keeping it intact and leaving no residue? I've heard of oil, ice and nail polish remover, but these all seem like they'd ruin the sticker.

Try a hair dryer. It might leave a bit of residue behind, but that should be relatively easy to wipe off.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

MooCowlian posted:

It really is too broad to make a sweeping statement about. It varies from foodstuff to foodstuff, and is highly dependent on environment.

If you live in a cool and dry climate, food will keep significantly longer than a best before or use by. If you live somewhere tropical, you can expect that a use by will be something closer to reality. Stuff like chocolate, canned goods, cured meats and some cheeses can outlast their use by dates by literally months, even years.

As always, you are the best judge. If it looks mouldy, tastes off or smells off - don't eat it. Remember that a best before/use by date is always very conservative. It is the minimum expected time, that way it saves supermarkets hassle and complaints. As to a difference between the US or the UK - I can't imagine it is particularly different.

As for grapes, they are pretty much fine for a couple of weeks in the fridge. They will go wrinkly first, and at that point they are probably still fine so long as the texture is still relatively firm. If they are going brown and are mushy to the touch, throw those suckers out. Or make wine.

Fun fact: Where I'm at in rural Scotland, I can buy a loaf of bread and keep it in a breadbin and not have it even go stale or mouldy for over 3 weeks (not really tried to push the limits for science.) Down in London, for comparison, a loaf of bread will be going stale/mouldy in under a week. Bread has a use by/best before usually same day or next day.

edit: Don't go out of your way to eat wrinkly grapes though. I know I wouldn't bother taking the risk unless I was really, really wanting some grapes.

double edit: I also remembered that about 4 years ago I ate some microwave popcorn that expired in 1987. It was fine, although the salt/butter stuff had like...separated by osmosis from the popcorn and onto the inner foil lining.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 25, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I've been trying to apply for health insurance in California through our website (https://v.calheers.ca.gov/) , which I've been told is suppose to work opposed to the Federal website.

Despite what I've heard, I've been having a few problems with the website. Anyone else in California experiencing problems? In the Employment Income area, I'm unable to add income because that button is simply not there. :argh: I've tried Chrome, Firefox & Explorer but there is no button!!

edit: The button is finally there after furious refreshing. The website is still total poo poo though.

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 25, 2013

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
What's the best program these days to record a video game? I tried Gifcam and Gooncam, I tried Cropper but they don't record enough frames and the .gif comes out very choppy. I don't need it in real time, I am recording an in-game dota 2 recording I have.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Enigma89 posted:

What's the best program these days to record a video game? I tried Gifcam and Gooncam, I tried Cropper but they don't record enough frames and the .gif comes out very choppy. I don't need it in real time, I am recording an in-game dota 2 recording I have.

http://www.fraps.com/

http://obsproject.com/

These are pretty standard in-game capture tools. Are you trying to make a .gif or a video though :confused:

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Regarding best used by chat--the quality of your fridge will make a marked difference in this. A newer/more expensive fridge will be better insulated and hold the temperature (and humidity control) better as well as keep the temp cycle smaller.

Edit:
This is best explained by ice cream in a freezer. In a bucket of frozen ice cream there are statistically still bits of liquid water (quanity depending on temp). Over time the water will recrystallize to ice with surrounding water molecules. Over time they will grow and this makes the ice cream taste grittier or less creamy. A cheap or old freezer will accelerate this cycle by not having a tight hold on temp.

On fridge side I had an old combo small apartment fridge/freezer which would turn milk sour in half the time of the one I have in my newer apartment.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 25, 2013

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Why do cats have hair of a different texture in front of their ears?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Why do cats have hair of a different texture in front of their ears?

It's a sensitive area with more nerves and smell glands (not the scientific name) so there is less space for hair follicles. Scratch kitty there.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Etiquette question: I got invited to a birthday dinner by a close friends wife. A person I know who is also friends with the wife and husband asked me to tell him if our group of friends is doing anything special with him. Since she invited me this is not a "general" group event, correct? I figure if they wanted to invite him they would have. I don't need to tell them that he wanted to come.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

Etiquette question: I got invited to a birthday dinner by a close friends wife. A person I know who is also friends with the wife and husband asked me to tell him if our group of friends is doing anything special with him. Since she invited me this is not a "general" group event, correct? I figure if they wanted to invite him they would have. I don't need to tell them that he wanted to come.

Never invite someone to an event someone else is organizing unless they're your +1. But I would tell the organizing wife that he asked.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm not sure if this is better suited for the Tech Support threads, and if so, I'll ask it over there.

Where I work, I have to deal with two sets of computer security settings. To put short, Company A owns the hardware and pays me, Company B owns the network and pays A for my services.

When logging into Company B's Network, they reset the internet explorer security settings to match their requirements (I think they downloaded via proxy when I connect). In order for me to use Company A's phone software, I have to go and change my IE settings almost every day.

I'm trying to write a simple registry file that will let me change my settings with a simple double click (or even an automated script to run every morning at login), but I can't find the keys to do it.

What I need are the registry keys for Active X controls (allow scriptlets, allow signed/unsigned controls) and Miscellaneous (Disable pop up blocker, disable smart screen, allow data across sources) for trusted sites. Where can I go to find these? I can't find the right terms for Google to help

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Never invite someone to an event someone else is organizing unless they're your +1. But I would tell the organizing wife that he asked.

Exactly this, tell the wife you were asked this question. She may have reasons you don't know about for not having an open invitation in general or for this specific person (I definitely selectively invite friends to things depending on what we're doing)--or she could have just forgotten.

Is there any reason he wouldn't be invited? While I wouldn't volunteer the information I wouldn't directly lie to my friend if he asks in person or in a situation where you're prompted to give an answer: "Wife had talked about getting together for a dinner, not sure what the situation is--it might be a small group thing. I'll let you know if I hear anything about going out afterwards."

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Skype Chat Log:

If skype is unselected (like im playing a game on my first monitor while skype is open on second monitor), any new chat will appear under the bottom row of text, and "off screen". I have to manually scroll down to see the new text.

Is there an option to have it so that the newest text is always shown at the bottom of the chatlog?

My goal is to play video games while keeping up with the chat conversation.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I need an adult.

This year for Thanksgiving, I'm thinking about renting a car to drive there and back. Now, I don't own a car and, thus, don't have car insurance in my name. What needs to be done?

My only experience is renting Uhauls for my job (a lot of Uhauls over the last 2 or 3 years...), and their insurance covers accidents and damage. But with rental cars I'm all types of confused, does the SLI (Secondary Liability Insurance) cover me or do I need something else entirely? Is the damage waiver worth it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Any chance you can use a vm to connect to the other company? I do consulting work for various clients and use a separate vm for each. Any settings their vpn wants to change don't affect my whole computer, enabling me to continue reading the forums and dicking around on irc even when their security policies forbid such things.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

CzarChasm posted:

What I need are the registry keys for Active X controls (allow scriptlets, allow signed/unsigned controls) and Miscellaneous (Disable pop up blocker, disable smart screen, allow data across sources) for trusted sites. Where can I go to find these? I can't find the right terms for Google to help

go to regedit, export the registry somewhere. Change the Active X settings to whatever, export the registry again and run a diff on the 2 files.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
My new laptop came with a C drive called "OS" and a D drive called "Data". It's a pretty uneven split with how much disc-space is avaliable on each drive, with the C drive being about 50% smaller than the D drive. Everything I've installed has just defaulted to C without me really thinking about it. Problem is that the C drive is nearly full and there is literally nothing installed on the D drive. Is there some way to erase the D drive so all the avaliable space on the laptop is in the C drive?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Werner-Boogle posted:

My new laptop came with a C drive called "OS" and a D drive called "Data". It's a pretty uneven split with how much disc-space is avaliable on each drive, with the C drive being about 50% smaller than the D drive. Everything I've installed has just defaulted to C without me really thinking about it. Problem is that the C drive is nearly full and there is literally nothing installed on the D drive. Is there some way to erase the D drive so all the avaliable space on the laptop is in the C drive?

Which OS are you using? Win7 will let you repartition drives, I believe.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

I need an adult.

This year for Thanksgiving, I'm thinking about renting a car to drive there and back. Now, I don't own a car and, thus, don't have car insurance in my name. What needs to be done?

My only experience is renting Uhauls for my job (a lot of Uhauls over the last 2 or 3 years...), and their insurance covers accidents and damage. But with rental cars I'm all types of confused, does the SLI (Secondary Liability Insurance) cover me or do I need something else entirely? Is the damage waiver worth it?
They will gladly sell you everything you need, and more you don't. Look at the website for the car rental company you're using to attempt to educate yourself on their insurance options. The all-in package is about $25/day.

Are you over age 25? IIRC, under 25 with any amount of money is difficult.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

ladron posted:

Which OS are you using? Win7 will let you repartition drives, I believe.

I'm running Windows 8, so it should be able to do that too right? Any walktroughs on how to do it?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Werner-Boogle posted:

I'm running Windows 8, so it should be able to do that too right? Any walktroughs on how to do it?

http://bit.ly/16bZrai

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BirdOfPlay posted:

I need an adult.

I've never had a car either and I've also always had problems finding basic info about insurance, I guess cause most people started learning this stuff when they were 16 and take the basics for granted, and also car rental places are much more accustomed to working with people who own a car.

So I guess what I'm saying is, follow-up question, can someone explain what the different components of car insurance are, for my and BirdOfPlay's benefit?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

alnilam posted:

I've never had a car either and I've also always had problems finding basic info about insurance, I guess cause most people started learning this stuff when they were 16 and take the basics for granted, and also car rental places are much more accustomed to working with people who own a car.

So I guess what I'm saying is, follow-up question, can someone explain what the different components of car insurance are, for my and BirdOfPlay's benefit?

Requirements for minimum coverage varies by state, but here is a very basic breakdown:

Liability covers payments for property damage and bodily injury that are your legal responsibility. Sometimes that's broken down into maximum payouts for each of property damage and bodily injury. This is usually legally required coverage.

Uninsured Motorist coverage protects you against loss when your car is damaged and/or you or your passengers are injured by a driver who has no insurance, or not enough insurance. This is usually optional but highly recommended.

Collision covers the cost to repair your own vehicle in the event of damage caused by you. This is usually optional and doesn't make sense if you drive a beater. Generally a requirement if you are leasing or are paying off a loan for the vehicle. Subject to a deductible.

Comprehensive goes a step past Collision and covers you for other things like theft, vandalism, broken glass, and acts of nature. Usually optional, may be required for leases and financed purchases. Usually subject to a deductible.

Most of the national car insurance companies have pretty decent guides to all this with more detail.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Werner-Boogle posted:

Does your laptop have a single drive or 2 separate drives? There are a few laptops with multiple drives or a smaller SSD drive and a platter drive.

If you have 2 drives then they're already partitioned to their maximum size and you'll need to manage your data manually.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 26, 2013

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Thanks Mr. Snarky, it worked wonders. My C drive is huge now.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

DNova posted:

Requirements for minimum coverage varies by state, but here is a very basic breakdown:

Liability covers payments for property damage and bodily injury that are your legal responsibility. Sometimes that's broken down into maximum payouts for each of property damage and bodily injury. This is usually legally required coverage.

I was in an accident recently in California. Other party at fault. Both parties only have liability coverage. Found out the minimum liability coverage for property damage in CA is...... $5000. I was stunned- only $5k? So the max the insurance company will pay is $5k less salvage cost.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

alnilam posted:

This thread is for you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427127

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm interested video editing, particularly for goons via the sa-mart. How should I format a thread, what information should I include and what other general information should I be aware of?

I've been doing this for 4 years, have two past users I can ask testimonials for, a 5 star rating on goonreviews.com with 5 transactions, and several great video examples of my work. I've done everything from news clips, funny ideas someone's had, montages and audio manipulation. I'm proficient in Sony Vegas Pro, Windows Movie Maker and Audacity. I also earn a little money making videos for the site gameanyone.com (think youtube with a focus on games and less stupid) with over 1,800,000k views, so digital capture is also something I can do but I'm unsure if this is worth mentioning. I'd love to get slightly more professional videos under my belt as well, i.e. presentations, promotions, etc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was trying to buy some shoes from Amazon and when I tried to check out it told me one of the pairs I wanted can't be shipped to Australia. The other pair was fine though. Is there some way I can get Amazon to only show me products that I can actually get shipped to me, or do I just have to keep trying to buy stuff to see if it's available? I can't even see anywhere on the product page that tells me whether it's available in this country or not, it seems like you actually have to try to check out before it will tell you.

Also, it keeps telling me I can get free shipping on orders over $35, but that's not true either because that's only available in America. I'm logged into my account, they know I'm in Australia, why do these things I can't actually get keep showing up?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Tiggum posted:

I was trying to buy some shoes from Amazon and when I tried to check out it told me one of the pairs I wanted can't be shipped to Australia. The other pair was fine though. Is there some way I can get Amazon to only show me products that I can actually get shipped to me, or do I just have to keep trying to buy stuff to see if it's available? I can't even see anywhere on the product page that tells me whether it's available in this country or not, it seems like you actually have to try to check out before it will tell you.

Also, it keeps telling me I can get free shipping on orders over $35, but that's not true either because that's only available in America. I'm logged into my account, they know I'm in Australia, why do these things I can't actually get keep showing up?

I think you want Amazon Global, try this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117930

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ah, that does seem to be what I'm looking for. Thanks. :-)

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I've seen a lot of eBay sellers directly shipping from amazon by changing the shipping address to the winner of the auction (mainly for PS4s). Is this a safe thing to do or could it result in getting screwed over? (If I decided to do this instead of shipping from myself)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I want to put in a very specific route into google maps (or whatever else) that covers thousands of miles. I want to be able to pick specific roads along the way that won't be the quickest or shortest and also put in specific stops along the way. Is there a website out there that makes this much easier than just using the basic maps website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fists Up posted:

I want to put in a very specific route into google maps (or whatever else) that covers thousands of miles. I want to be able to pick specific roads along the way that won't be the quickest or shortest and also put in specific stops along the way. Is there a website out there that makes this much easier than just using the basic maps website?

Nah, putting it into the maps website with the stops as multiple destinations and dragging the route as necessary is the easiest way.

Some other mapping websites like Bing maps and Mapquest (yes they still exist) will propose different routes than google, but they're unlikely to be the ones you're looking for.