Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I guess we will just have to enjoy the rumors until we see what they actually have up their sleeves.

http://thenewcamera.com/upcoming-nikon-retro-ff-is-of-tank-size/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

I have plenty of full frame lenses that are quite compact, they just lack autofocus. My point being that, if Nikon uses their DSLR lens mount, I won't have the option of using so much legacy glass on it.

If only there was some way to have lots of old manual focus legacy lenses available without an adapter for the F mount.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DanTheFryingPan posted:

If only there was some way to have lots of old manual focus legacy lenses available without an adapter for the F mount.

F mount is too long

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

RustedChrome posted:

I have a feeling the Nikon will be using the current DSLR mount, which means it won't be as small or versatile as the A7.

And starting out of the gate will have one of the most stellar lens line ups to date. Sure it wont be as small as an A7 but is an A7 all that small when you have to mount that frakenstein AF adapter to use other lenses, and not to mention that really LOL looking grip.

If it can manage to stay the same size as an FG, its gonna have my money. I already own a retro body with physical controls that it owns bones hard. Having it in Fmount is just icing on the cake. I already have a nice collection of Nikkor glass that I use on my Fuji. This creates conflict for me. I love the RAF files and looks from Fuji. I love the Fuji jpg and color. I love my past experiences with Nikon and their products.

RustedChrome posted:

I have plenty of full frame lenses that are quite compact, they just lack autofocus. My point being that, if Nikon uses their DSLR lens mount, I won't have the option of using so much legacy glass on it.

Im not sure how this is a problem. Its pretty safe to assume this will meter with all existing lenses AI through G glass. DSLR mount? What? Is? That? If your talking about Entry level D40 style cameras lacking AF motors and having metering gimped to not function on old glass, sure. Not the case for this retro FX camera.

Ive used AI/AIS/AF-D legacy glass on Dxxx bodies with full metering. Oh god i had to MF them. Thank god my eyes function and I can tell if something is in focus, and there is that confirm dot in the VF.

Tell me which Digital Nikon body you have that wont meter old legacy glass.

Musket fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 23, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
New flash! There are other lenses in the world besides Nikon. I don't own any Nikon lenses but I can use my Olympus, Pentax, Leica etc.. on the Sony as well as most other mirrorless cameras. That is the point I was making. Plus the adapters for those lenses are not lolhuge. Anyone who requires a variety of AF glass may not see the value in the A7, true enough.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RustedChrome posted:

New flash! There are other lenses in the world besides Nikon. I don't own any Nikon lenses but I can use my Olympus, Pentax, Leica etc.. on the Sony as well as most other mirrorless cameras. That is the point I was making. Plus the adapters for those lenses are not lolhuge. Anyone who requires a variety of AF glass may not see the value in the A7, true enough.

Are you getting the A7 or the A7r? The A7 supposedly fair better with the old MF lens.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Are you getting the A7 or the A7r? The A7 supposedly fair better with the old MF lens.

If I get one, it'll be the A7. 24 megapickles is already big enough and I think the larger pixels may give a nicer image too. If I sell my RX1 for a good price, I'll probably spring for the A7, although I am not at all eager to replace my X-Pro.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
If anybody is preordering the A7 in Canada do it from Futureshop because you get a $100 off coupon at checkout.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'm about to sell my 7D and all my Canon poo poo; I liked it, but it's just way too big and heavy. I'm still not sure how to replace it. I have a Ricoh GR which is completely awesome, but it sucks for macro and portraits, so I'd like to buy into a new system, but preferably one that doesn't give me a backache and makes me self-conscious when I go out (those are the reasons the 7D gathered dust in the end). Somehow I just can't decide between a Sony A7R with the 55 1.8 and the Olympus EM-1 with the 12-40. The latter is probably the best mirrorless body out there today, and there are awesome and compact lenses for MFT - but the sensor is so small :( It would feel weird to spend that much on a camera with a smaller sensor than the one in my GR. The Sony, on the other hand, should be an IQ monster, but the body seems a little slower and less well thought out than the Oly (no IBIS, for example). Also, I'm not sure if I could even master 36 MP, and what about the lenses... And it costs a grand more than the EM-1 + 12-40. Ugh, what to do. I was also looking into Fuji, and while I'm totally convinced by the concept (and the IQ!), I'm not willing to change my workflow (I use DxO, which doesn't work with X-Trans and probably never will).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Wengy posted:

I'm about to sell my 7D and all my Canon poo poo; I liked it, but it's just way too big and heavy. I'm still not sure how to replace it.

Have you looked at the Fuji XE1 / XE2? I don't even mirrorless but it looks pretty amazing for a compact interchangeable lens system. Good crop sensor, EVF, pretty decent lens line-up with fast wide primes, adaptable for MF lenses, focus peaking. I'm actually considering picking up an XE2 when it comes out because it is a huge pain to carry around a giant dslr when I'm out with friends or just kicking around.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Hey guys, I'd appreciate a little help here.

I'm spending 10 days in Thailand on an upcoming trip, and my 50d + lenses is way too bulky and inconvenient to travel with. For the sake of size and simplicity, I'd like to rent or possibly even buy a rangefinder or a mirrorless + pancake-ish lens.

The Fuji x100s, Sony RX1R, and new alpha 7 have all caught my eye. Any particular recommendation out of these? I basically want maximum image quality in as small of a body as possible. I would love some of that full-frame goodness, but I'm afraid the Sonys might be just a bit too deep to travel comfortably.

As a side note, in the last year I've become pretty fatigued at just the thought of taking photos, because I feel like my system is just so complicated and big/heavy, and I'm hoping that test driving something simple in an awesome locale will maybe help me feel less blah about taking photos again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The X100s is a pretty nice camera with a hybrid OVF. The RX-1 is basically a X100s without phase-detect autofocus, with a full frame sensor, and without the OVF. The Alpha's a RX-1 with an interchangeable lens mount, so you open up more options there, but the lens lineup is weak at launch, plus it has phase-detect autofocus (for the non-R model).

If you really want to simplify your photo taking I'd give the X100s a try. Working with a single focal length is fun and 35mm equivalent is a great field of view.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

I'm spending 10 days in Thailand on an upcoming trip, and my 50d + lenses is way too bulky and inconvenient to travel with. For the sake of size and simplicity, I'd like to rent or possibly even buy a rangefinder or a mirrorless + pancake-ish lens.

I took my 7D to thailand and it was fine. 10 days doesn't sound like you are backpacking or anything.

I dunno if the x100 would be wide enough for a lot of things you might want to shoot. Is that Fuji 10-24 out yet? Paired with an xpro/xe and a quick normal prime would be awesome. If not, an EOS M with the 11-22mm and 40mm pancake could make a decent kit (assuming you don't want to autofocus on anything ever).

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 25, 2013

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
What about the NEX-6? It's due to be replaced soon so it should be dropping in price. The sensor is excellent, you can use manual focus lenses to fill out your lineup until you can afford more AF lenses and you can use it as a backup if you upgrade to a FF NEX later.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Wengy posted:

I'm about to sell my 7D and all my Canon poo poo; I liked it, but it's just way too big and heavy. I'm still not sure how to replace it. I have a Ricoh GR which is completely awesome, but it sucks for macro and portraits, so I'd like to buy into a new system, but preferably one that doesn't give me a backache and makes me self-conscious when I go out (those are the reasons the 7D gathered dust in the end). Somehow I just can't decide between a Sony A7R with the 55 1.8 and the Olympus EM-1 with the 12-40. The latter is probably the best mirrorless body out there today, and there are awesome and compact lenses for MFT - but the sensor is so small :( It would feel weird to spend that much on a camera with a smaller sensor than the one in my GR. The Sony, on the other hand, should be an IQ monster, but the body seems a little slower and less well thought out than the Oly (no IBIS, for example). Also, I'm not sure if I could even master 36 MP, and what about the lenses... And it costs a grand more than the EM-1 + 12-40. Ugh, what to do. I was also looking into Fuji, and while I'm totally convinced by the concept (and the IQ!), I'm not willing to change my workflow (I use DxO, which doesn't work with X-Trans and probably never will).

I am not sure why everyone seems to zero in on the A7R when the A7 is much more usable and better in %99 of the shooting scenarios unless you make your living shooting portraits.

It is cheaper, has better autofocus and has better ISO performance. poo poo it has more megapixels than the Canon 5Dmk3, you are not exactly hurting for detail with the A7. I would have liked in body IS as well but it is way easier to stabilize a micro 4/3 sensor than a full frame one.

To me m4/3 is not even on the table for me. I hate the image quality m4/3 produces. If you are not going with the Sony I would go with Fuji XE-2. I am kinda flip flopping between the A7 + 55mm and the Fuji + 35mm myself.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

The Fuji x100s, Sony RX1R, and new alpha 7 have all caught my eye. Any particular recommendation out of these? I basically want maximum image quality in as small of a body as possible. I would love some of that full-frame goodness, but I'm afraid the Sonys might be just a bit too deep to travel comfortably.

As a side note, in the last year I've become pretty fatigued at just the thought of taking photos, because I feel like my system is just so complicated and big/heavy, and I'm hoping that test driving something simple in an awesome locale will maybe help me feel less blah about taking photos again.

If you're not against the idea of a single focal length, and you don't sound like you are, I think the X100s is a terrific choice. It's compact, relatively cheap, and produces very good files in raw and jpeg. I think one of those and a wrist strap would be perfect for travel. Just bring a second battery with you :) Regarding the rangefinder rental: unless you've used one before, and you understand what you're getting into, I wouldn't start with one on vacation. You've got to account for parallax, a minimum focus distance of 0.7m, relatively high expense, and they're not exactly light.

Other cameras to look at would be the RX100 and Ricoh GR series.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

keyframe posted:

I am not sure why everyone seems to zero in on the A7R when the A7 is much more usable and better in %99 of the shooting scenarios unless you make your living shooting portraits.

It is cheaper, has better autofocus and has better ISO performance. poo poo it has more megapixels than the Canon 5Dmk3, you are not exactly hurting for detail with the A7. I would have liked in body IS as well but it is way easier to stabilize a micro 4/3 sensor than a full frame one.

To me m4/3 is not even on the table for me. I hate the image quality m4/3 produces. If you are not going with the Sony I would go with Fuji XE-2. I am kinda flip flopping between the A7 + 55mm and the Fuji + 35mm myself.

So you hate quality, is what I'm getting from your post?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Have you looked at the Fuji XE1 / XE2? I don't even mirrorless but it looks pretty amazing for a compact interchangeable lens system. Good crop sensor, EVF, pretty decent lens line-up with fast wide primes, adaptable for MF lenses, focus peaking. I'm actually considering picking up an XE2 when it comes out because it is a huge pain to carry around a giant dslr when I'm out with friends or just kicking around.

Yeah, those are really intriguing, but DxO is the only RAW converter I've somewhat learned to use and it doesn't work with X-Trans files :(

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

keyframe posted:

Well, I think I'd prefer the lack of a low-pass filter (and the increase in detail it entails) to a slightly faster AF system, hence my interest in the A7R. The A7R's sensor in the EM-1, now that's a camera I'd buy without hesitation.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Maximum image quality in as small of a body as possible = Ricoh GR, basically. OK, the RX1R is obviously better, but the GR is pocketable. As cool as the X100s appears to be, I'd get the GR over it. IQ is probbably about equal, but with the GR you're getting a much more compact body, provided you can do without the EVF.

EDIT: also, the ergonomics of the GR can't be praised enough. It's basically as easy and intuitive to use as my 7D, which just blows my mind - the only thing I miss is the little joystick. The GR would be perfect for me if its macro ability was a little better and if it had IBIS. Weather sealing would be pretty sweet too.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 25, 2013

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If you are concerned about xtrans issues you could always go for the original X100. The new firmware really spruced it up - it is pretty bad rear end.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Wengy posted:

IQ is probbably about equal, but with the GR you're getting a much more compact body, provided you can do without the EVF.

With the caveat of "Do you like RAW processing?" because the GR's SOOC jpegs are pretty flat and unimpressive color-wise.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Costello Jello posted:

With the caveat of "Do you like RAW processing?" because the GR's SOOC jpegs are pretty flat and unimpressive color-wise.

I can confirm that. But it would be a shame not to work with the awesome RAWs this little beast provides :)

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Does the GR have the extended in-camera filters like Bleach Bypass and High Contrast B&W? Is it still loving goofy where the back LCD can't display any of the extended filter modes if you're shooting in RAW + Jpg? I never take the GRD IV out of Tone Effect:Red so I monkeyed around with them once and did not not encounter expected behavior so I don't exactly remember what the limitation was.

Does the GR still display the number of shots taken in the last 24 hours when you turn off the camera? Does it still have the secret menu showing the number of shutter actuations and how many times the camera thinks it was dropped?

Sorry in advance for all the questions, these aren't things usually covered in reviews and I'm sort of curious what all propagated up the model line.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It has all the silly filters and even a dedicated "effects" button on the side to call them up (though I've reconfigured it to toggle snap focus). The filters are visible in liveview. The only thing displayed when you turn off the camera is a big Ricoh logo. Hi-contrast B&W is especially fun, everything looks like a black metal album cover.

Not sure about the "secret menu" where would I be likely to find that?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just handled the EM-1 with the 12-40 at a store. gently caress me, that's a sweet piece of kit. The EM-5 was next to it and honestly felt a little cheap in comparison. Focus was lightning quick, the EVF is great, and focus peaking works really well. I was also offered a 10% rebate. Tempted as gently caress, tbh.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Wengy posted:

Yeah, those are really intriguing, but DxO is the only RAW converter I've somewhat learned to use and it doesn't work with X-Trans files :(

Just being honest here, but picking a camera/lens system based on processing workflow seems kind of strange unless you're at a professional level and you have all sorts of limitations that affect your ability to get work done. If you like everything else about Fuji's lineup, get a Fuji and learn Lightroom (which takes like a night to get proficient), and then never worry about it again, since Lightroom handles almost anything.

dodob
May 20, 2004
I told myself I'd make do with my RX1 and skip the first generation A7/A7R. After all, the RX1 has the faster and more compact 35mm, the only lens that interests me at the time of release.

Yesterday I passed by the Sony Store at Harbour City, Kowloon Hong Kong and they had hands-on demo units of both cameras and the 35 f2.8 and the 55 f1.8. The lenses are way tinier and lighter than I expected. The A7 plus a 35mm makes a light small piece of kit, and easier to handle than the RX1 because of the grip. Even with a 55mm it is so portable. Biggest surprise of all was the lightning quick autofocus. It was a brightly lit store, but my RX1 didn't focus nearly as fast.

The shutter release click was very audible even in the crowded store. But I don't think that will ever bother me.

I regret not having spent more time feeling the difference between the A7 and A7R. The only things stopping me from preordering an A7/A7R right now is the decision between two cameras (the R is supposedly lighter and sturdier), and that the 55mm isn't available now. Well, that, and $$$.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Wengy posted:

It has all the silly filters and even a dedicated "effects" button on the side to call them up (though I've reconfigured it to toggle snap focus). The filters are visible in liveview. The only thing displayed when you turn off the camera is a big Ricoh logo. Hi-contrast B&W is especially fun, everything looks like a black metal album cover.

Not sure about the "secret menu" where would I be likely to find that?

Thanks! I'm surprised they dropped the daily shot count. They move the service menu around so there's no telling where it is on the new one. On the IV you put the camera in "Scene" mode on the PASM (which the GR doesn't have) and then hold down the "Disp" and "Playback"buttons for a few seconds. On the III I think you had to put it on the little movie icon.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

dodob posted:

I told myself I'd make do with my RX1 and skip the first generation A7/A7R. After all, the RX1 has the faster and more compact 35mm, the only lens that interests me at the time of release.

Yesterday I passed by the Sony Store at Harbour City, Kowloon Hong Kong and they had hands-on demo units of both cameras and the 35 f2.8 and the 55 f1.8. The lenses are way tinier and lighter than I expected. The A7 plus a 35mm makes a light small piece of kit, and easier to handle than the RX1 because of the grip. Even with a 55mm it is so portable. Biggest surprise of all was the lightning quick autofocus. It was a brightly lit store, but my RX1 didn't focus nearly as fast.

The shutter release click was very audible even in the crowded store. But I don't think that will ever bother me.

I regret not having spent more time feeling the difference between the A7 and A7R. The only things stopping me from preordering an A7/A7R right now is the decision between two cameras (the R is supposedly lighter and sturdier), and that the 55mm isn't available now. Well, that, and $$$.

And that's exactly what keeps me from buying the EM-1 right now. Although I could get the EM-1 kit plus the 75 1.8 for the price of the A7R + 55 1.8. Ugh.

Helicity, I've invested a couple hundred into the various DxO versions (been with them since version 6 IIRC) and while I'm still just a novice taking crappy pictures, I know how to do certain things with the software that are important to me. I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I don't really want to shell out for LR and spend "a night" learning it when I've already paid for and learned a perfectly capable software. It's a dick move by DxO that they're not acknowledging the X-system :(

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Wengy posted:

And that's exactly what keeps me from buying the EM-1 right now. Although I could get the EM-1 kit plus the 75 1.8 for the price of the A7R + 55 1.8. Ugh.

Helicity, I've invested a couple hundred into the various DxO versions (been with them since version 6 IIRC) and while I'm still just a novice taking crappy pictures, I know how to do certain things with the software that are important to me. I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I don't really want to shell out for LR and spend "a night" learning it when I've already paid for and learned a perfectly capable software. It's a dick move by DxO that they're not acknowledging the X-system :(

Well to be fair, Lightroom 5 is only $150 and you're talking about spending $2000+ on a new camera system so you're not shelling out that much. Sure it's kind of annoying to learn new software, but don't let that be a limiting factor in the decision of which camera you buy. I'd say just download the LR5 trial and just try it out, maybe you'd like it better anyway.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

gently caress me, here I am praising DxO, only to find out that it no longer recognizes the GR's RAW files after its firmware update. Such loving bullshit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OM-D EM1 on Amazon went from $1399 to $1799 :stare:

E: Oh now 1499. Fun with listings.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wengy posted:

Man the gently caress up and get lightroom. Cisgendertranx Sensor is worth it. You already looking at 2k in price for a Fuji system, whats another 150. 30day trial to boot.

Musket fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 25, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New X-deal have both xf14 and xf55-200 in the promotion. You can get 200 off for each lens if you by a XM1, XE1 or XP1.

God drat it I wish I can buy a xf14 for $700. I know people can get it in Japan for about 750 but I want the US warranty.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 25, 2013

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Anyone have the Olympus 9-18 or Panasonic 7-14 ultra-wide zooms? I've been considering a wide angle option for a while (including the converter for the X100) but can't bring myself to justify it when the kit zoom does an adequate enough job for normal wide shots so I want the extra... what's the opposite of reach?, but at the same time either of those zooms would be the most expensive lens I've bought at this point.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

whatever7 posted:

New X-deal have both xf14 and xf55-200 in the promotion. You can get 200 off for each lens if you by a XM1, XE1 or XP1.

God drat it I wish I can buy a xf14 for $700. I know people can get it in Japan for about 750, but I want the US warranty.

Yea I saw that and got annoyed. Wish they had a sale right now for lenses only, because it would make my x-e2 vs a7 decision a lot easier. :(

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
If wishes were horses, we would never be hungry :snoop:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Alright I am back in team Fuji. Picked up an X-E1 and the 18-55mm kit for $990 + $50 mail in rebate. It is an insanely good deal I couldn't pass. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Do you (or does anyone) know if the adapters from MD or FD mount to Fuji X mount will auto aperture? Couldn't find any info on the Metabones site or really anywhere. I've been seriously eyeing an XE1 or pre-ordering an XE2 but I'm most interested in mounting some MF legacy glass on it. It would suck nuts to still have to do stop down metering.