Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
I watched the video on Ross tech about their software only product and basically every time a possible problem was brought up, the narrator said that you would have to talk to the manufacture of your third party cable and then a map of china with an arrow would pop up for a millisecond.

I managed to replace all the stuff I mentioned today and I didn't get any codes, even the air pump code after running it around for a bit. I didn't erase any codes either. The problem is though, there are indicators on the top of the scanner that indicate what monitors are supported by the obdii system on the car supports. They flash when not in ready position and are solid when they are. None of them were on for some reason, solid or otherwise. Does the car need to be warmed up to operating temp to achieve readiness even if the monitors were 'ready' the last time?

I should also mention that I have been getting a p1823 code as well. I haven't put it at the top of my priority list because I assumed that since the transmission isn't part of the emissions system that it wouldn't fail inspection. As it turns out, it will throw the MIL and I am pretty sure that is an instant fail in Oregon. There are a couple of wierd things about it though. When I look at the freeze frame data, it says the code was thrown at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, 960 rpm and at 8 mph. The temp was about ambient so it wasn't warmed up at all. It does seem to go away if the engine is warmed up so I should be able to pass DEQ and have a little time to replace the solenoids. The really weird thing though? It threw the code again after running the scanner another time shortly after the previous reading and it gave me -40 Fahrenheit and 0 rpm and speed iirc.

I am trying to read the scanner's manual again just to make sure I am not missing anything. I may have to get a VAG-COM yet. Though I will hopefully be rid of my problems soon. Maybe if I can't get it to pass deq before the trip permit runs out in 19 days, I will get one. The next trip permit that would be the last one I could buy until another year passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

I'm assuming the big round silver thingy is the induction kit, does anyone recognise which one it is?

Also, with reference to VAG-COM stuff, is that what is required for changing the tuning, or do I have to shell out cash to someone to do that? (I mainly just want to see if the previous owner screwed with things)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mmmmm...carbon fiber and dryer vent. Classy.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Motronic posted:

Mmmmm...carbon fiber and dryer vent. Classy.

Quite, it's why I'm trying to figure out what it is so I can decide if it's staying or not.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Does anybody have a 2011+ Jetta? My girlfriend needs to replace her piece of poo poo Pontiac Wave and can't let go of the Jetta idea. It'd probably be a 'comfortline' model with the 2.5L engine. Are these cars pieces of poo poo? I know they feel cheaper than the last-gen, but beyond that, how are they in terms of poo poo going wrong that needs a dealership visit?

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

Also, with reference to VAG-COM stuff, is that what is required for changing the tuning, or do I have to shell out cash to someone to do that? (I mainly just want to see if the previous owner screwed with things)

It is my understanding that it can only tell you what is going on with the car. Though it can clear codes and make monitors ready iirc.

Also, since this is a factory turbo, you can probably just buy a kit and have extra instant horsepower.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

What should I look out for on an A6 Avant 2,6 (euro 1997 C4) with 130 K miles on it? I have the possibility of getting one. Some work's been done to it, some remains to get it past the mandatory Norwegian inspection but the current owner will fix it before I get it for 2/3 of the price of similar examples. Don't know exactly what's been done apart from the timing belt having been replaced.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

VERTiG0 posted:

Does anybody have a 2011+ Jetta? My girlfriend needs to replace her piece of poo poo Pontiac Wave and can't let go of the Jetta idea. It'd probably be a 'comfortline' model with the 2.5L engine. Are these cars pieces of poo poo? I know they feel cheaper than the last-gen, but beyond that, how are they in terms of poo poo going wrong that needs a dealership visit?

They are much cheaper than the last Jetta. If she insists on going with one, look at the GLI, it has the proper rear suspension and the upgraded interior. Also has the 2.0t. Or the TDI. The base 2.5s are going to feel super cheap, as they are, considering they are 17k cars.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I don't understand why VW opted to change the Jettas like that. They even look cheap and lovely. I can't imagine the increase in sales volume is enough to overcome the alienation of the former Jetta client base, but I'm no marketing expert.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Blakkout posted:

I don't understand why VW opted to change the Jettas like that. They even look cheap and lovely. I can't imagine the increase in sales volume is enough to overcome the alienation of the former Jetta client base, but I'm no marketing expert.

Kia/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota pricing them out. It's only really the super low end Jettas though. Once you get into the TDI or GLI packages they are just as nice as the previous models.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

They are much cheaper than the last Jetta. If she insists on going with one, look at the GLI, it has the proper rear suspension and the upgraded interior. Also has the 2.0t. Or the TDI. The base 2.5s are going to feel super cheap, as they are, considering they are 17k cars.

To be honest, the TDIs get a little better interior than the 2.5 and 1.8/1.8T. And after sitting in a recent Ford and Chevy, the interiors still feel much less 'plastic' than their American counterparts.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My wife had an 09 (which was great) and is now in an 11 and boy howdy the 11 is so plastic and cheap, and she has the SEL. We had a loaner base 2.5 and I just couldn't stop laughing at the terribleness. When her lease is up next year we are pulling out of the VW game. The Jetta is the only VW she likes (that isn't the Touraeg) and I can't deal with the plastic or the motor anymore.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Wamsutta posted:

My wife had an 09 (which was great) and is now in an 11 and boy howdy the 11 is so plastic and cheap, and she has the SEL. We had a loaner base 2.5 and I just couldn't stop laughing at the terribleness. When her lease is up next year we are pulling out of the VW game. The Jetta is the only VW she likes (that isn't the Touraeg) and I can't deal with the plastic or the motor anymore.

Get a TDI wagon, it's basically a Jetta with all of the nice Golf interior.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Anyone use one of the new fangled iOS devices that have the newer connector with MDI? I have an adapter for old connector to new one, but was wondering how it would operate if I bought the female USB cable. That would let me plug other stuff in there, but might make it lose its ipodness... except I use bluetooth anyway and its more just for charging so who cares?
As far as I know there isn't an MDI yet for the new connector.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There isn't and likely won't be for quite some time.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

veedubfreak posted:

Get a TDI wagon, it's basically a Jetta with all of the nice Golf interior.

Also a different chassis than the Jetta sedan. They're basically not even the same car anymore. The Sportwagen uses the older chassis shared with the previous Golf. It's likely that the next iteration (2015 model) will actually be called a Golf Sportwagen instead of Jetta Sportwagen.

Anyway, my 2014 TDI Sportwagen has been a gem thus far. Really takes the sting out of selling the 240d.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

trouser chili posted:

Also a different chassis than the Jetta sedan. They're basically not even the same car anymore. The Sportwagen uses the older chassis shared with the previous Golf. It's likely that the next iteration (2015 model) will actually be called a Golf Sportwagen instead of Jetta Sportwagen.

Anyway, my 2014 TDI Sportwagen has been a gem thus far. Really takes the sting out of selling the 240d.

Ya, I was shopping for a TDI Sportwagen when I bought my Golf. The "leatherette" seats and fluffy suspension pushed me off the wagen and I just happened to find exactly the right combo of options on a Golf for invoice. The new Wagen looks bad rear end, which means we probably won't get it.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Any experts on the old Vw t25 flat 4's? I have a replacement motor in my new / loving old van and need help finding out a, why it won't start and b, what the gently caress it is.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

thegasman2000 posted:

Any experts on the old Vw t25 flat 4's? I have a replacement motor in my new / loving old van and need help finding out a, why it won't start and b, what the gently caress it is.

What year/model/specs/etc?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
1980 1.9 aircooled petrol.... :(

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
Soooo, I replaced the turbo in my GTI due to errent bolt left in intake by previous owner and all seemed to be going well. I replaced the coolant and the oil with an oil system flush, liquid moly or something, it was recommended by the guy at the place I got the turbo. Idled that with new oil until ten minutes had passed as indicated on the bottle. After it was drained, I put some 5w-40 I believe, I don't have the bottle next to me.

The things that went odd were a short stumble when it was idling for ten minutes, just somewhere in the middle randomly and after a quarter mile drive, the MIL went on. I wasn't surprised about the MIL so much as I don't think that I have cleared all the emissions stuff, but when I checked it I got a p0012. That indicates that the timing is over retarded I guess. I googled it and since nothing has changed since I replaced the turbo other than the oil I am thinking that it must be the oil pressure. I thought I added just the 4.4L, but the stick reads over filled. Apparently if the pressure is too high or too low, that will cause this condition?

I guess it would be simple to test the oil idea, I just don't really want to dump all that oil if I can help it. It also makes no noise and ran normally for the short distance I drove it. No leaks during the long idle. It did smoke a bit, but even Bentley mentioned this is normal when the turbo has been replaced due to failure. I did wash out the intake pipes, but left the exhaust alone. Aside from dumping the exhaust impeller and shaft out of the catalytic converter pipe.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, I was shopping for a TDI Sportwagen when I bought my Golf. The "leatherette" seats and fluffy suspension pushed me off the wagen and I just happened to find exactly the right combo of options on a Golf for invoice. The new Wagen looks bad rear end, which means we probably won't get it.

It's funny to me you call the Sportwagen suspension "fluffy". Coming from the 240d it feels like a skateboard. Just the other day I took it down a washboard road that the 240d would glide down at 50mph but the Sportwagen was uncomfortable above 10mph.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know what VW will be replacing their 2.0l I-4 with in base Jettas? They've slotted the 1.8T to take the place of the 2.5 5-cyl, but I haven't heard anything about the incredibly underpowered 2.0

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

a primate posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know what VW will be replacing their 2.0l I-4 with in base Jettas? They've slotted the 1.8T to take the place of the 2.5 5-cyl, but I haven't heard anything about the incredibly underpowered 2.0

Are they even replacing the 2.0L? I mean it only exists so they can upsell to the 1.8T or TDI or whatever, why would they get rid of it?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

trouser chili posted:

It's funny to me you call the Sportwagen suspension "fluffy". Coming from the 240d it feels like a skateboard. Just the other day I took it down a washboard road that the 240d would glide down at 50mph but the Sportwagen was uncomfortable above 10mph.

Well I was coming from an 04.5 GLI which had the "sport suspension" so compared to that and the TDI golf, the wagen is much softer.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I clipped a trash roller bin today and broke my passenger side mirror glass on my mk5 jetta. It still works but has pretty spiderweb all over it now. How much is too much for a new replacement? If I decide to hit up a junkyard any mk5 Jetta or Golf glass will fit, correct?

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
I bought aftermarket sideview mirror glass for my mkiv for about $30 or so? It has a blueish tint, but has been fine.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I saw these $30 bluish mirrors online. Was yours actual glass? Did you get it from a brick and mortar store, or have to get it online?

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
Here's the one I bought.(it's a Canadian site).

I got it online, but it may actually be cheaper to buy from a parts store if you factor in the shipping.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

PoopinClumpin posted:

Are they even replacing the 2.0L? I mean it only exists so they can upsell to the 1.8T or TDI or whatever, why would they get rid of it?

Good point, maybe they make enough money upsling that they can afford less of a payoff from base models. I just assumed they would change it, since they've been coming out with other new engines.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just for fun I called the dealer... $127 for the mirror glass. :rolleyes:

Another extremely reputable place is getting it for me for $40, installed. That's how much the online ones were going to cost me after shipping so that's a bit of a no brainer.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
The back hatch of my 04 Passat wagon is stuck shut, although the door sensor and cargo light are on. It looks like the latch is caught on some dry cleaning I threw in the back on the way to work today. Neither the key nor the switch is operating the latch mechanism-- at least, I can't hear the mechanism being actuated like I normally can.

Is there some sort of manual release somewhere in the car, or some way to get the interior trim off of the hatch with it closed so I can get at the latch myself? I'm mostly concerned that the cargo light is staying on after I lock the car since it's not sensing that the hatch is shut. I'd rather not have the battery going flat.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I had the front driver side wheel bearings replaced in my 04 GTI before a 2500 mile road trip to move across the country and now that wheel is vibrating proportional to speed and the vibration decreases when I'm turning towards the left. Is there something the dealership could have hosed up that I can check for myself?

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
I need your guys knowledge and expertise.

I am throwing around the idea of leasing a vehicle and am interested in VW's. I have always liked the way they look but have always been turned off from their reliability (or lack of). Since this would be a lease, I am not stressing over long term reliability.

I specifically want to know about the Touareg. Anyone have experience with the current model?

What about diesels? I've been reading this thread and know a lot of you have TDI's. I know basically nothing about diesels. Here in NY, I do a lot of stop and go driving. Is a diesel good in this situation? It is also over $4 a gallon here. Around 25 cents more than premium. Is this worth the increased mpg, if it even makes sense to own a diesel in city traffic?

How long do they take to warm up on cold winter days? any issues with that?

I've also read about the filler nozzles in gas stations not fitting. Is this still an issue? I know there is an adapter that can be used, but I would not want to use it every time I have to fill up.

Thanks in advance!

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Some Guy From NY posted:

I am throwing around the idea of leasing a vehicle and am interested in VW's. I have always liked the way they look but have always been turned off from their reliability (or lack of). Since this would be a lease, I am not stressing over long term reliability.

I specifically want to know about the Touareg. Anyone have experience with the current model?

What about diesels? I've been reading this thread and know a lot of you have TDI's. I know basically nothing about diesels. Here in NY, I do a lot of stop and go driving. Is a diesel good in this situation? It is also over $4 a gallon here. Around 25 cents more than premium. Is this worth the increased mpg, if it even makes sense to own a diesel in city traffic?

I've also read about the filler nozzles in gas stations not fitting. Is this still an issue? I know there is an adapter that can be used, but I would not want to use it every time I have to fill up.

Thanks in advance!

I do not have any experience with the Touareg or any of the modern diesel VWs for that matter, but I do daily drive a VW diesel from a previous generation. Common thinking basically says that diesels come into their own when one drives long distances at sustained high speeds. Stop-and-go city driving and frequent traffic reduces many of the benefits. Diesels (the older ones at least) tend to take significantly longer to warm up than their gasoline counterparts. Basically the only way it will reach operating temperature is by just driving it, i.e. sitting in traffic soon after starting the thing will result in even longer warm up periods, further reducing overall fuel economy as well as the temperature of the air coming out of your heater vents. I have no idea about the filler nozzle - I live in Europe and there isn't an issue with that here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some Guy From NY posted:

Thanks in advance!

Stop and go driving in NY sounds like the exact opposite of where a diesel would be useful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's hybrid territory. Which makes me wonder why we don't get diesel hybrids.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I would nearly instantly trade in my '10 Jetta TDI for a Jetta diesel hybrid.

And then be sad when I remembered VW's skill with electrical systems.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BlackMK4 posted:

That's hybrid territory. Which makes me wonder why we don't get diesel hybrids.

What would the point be? More weight and more pollution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Goddamn TDI, just quit breaking before someone buys you. Fuckin door won't stay shut.