Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Do the warp spiders not have an Autarch? Or Exarch? Whichever the head honcho guy is.

I think I remember reading about them being 'new' but I don't remember if that was why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Do the warp spiders not have an Autarch? Or Exarch? Whichever the head honcho guy is.

I think I remember reading about them being 'new' but I don't remember if that was why.

Phoenix Lord?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Phoenix Lord?

That is definitely the thing I was trying to say, thank you. I don't know how I botched that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

berzerkmonkey posted:

It was the last great battle of the Crusade that the Emperor participated in. I think VanSandman is implying the Ork Warlord was a Space Marine?

It's just retarded enough to be Ward-level canon in my eyes.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I know it isn't the case now, but was it ever implied or assumed that Sigmar from Warhammer Fantasy was one of the lost Primarchs?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know it isn't the case now, but was it ever implied or assumed that Sigmar from Warhammer Fantasy was one of the lost Primarchs?
Wouldn't he have been the Emperor himself, if anything, if that were the case? Also imho it's a good thing they ditched the connection between the 40K and fantasy settings, because the latter doesn't really mesh well with "real" present-day history and it makes a lot more sense for 40K to be set in "our" future than that of Warhammer Fantasy, which wouldn't fit in any past era of real history. Or do you mean that in the sense of the world of WHFB as a feral world in the 40K setting on which Sigmar then found himself after the dispersal of the primarchs? Because while that could be made to make sense in some fashion I don't remember ever seeing anything that would imply it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PrBacterio posted:

Wouldn't he have been the Emperor himself, if anything, if that were the case? Also imho it's a good thing they ditched the connection between the 40K and fantasy settings, because the latter doesn't really mesh well with "real" present-day history and it makes a lot more sense for 40K to be set in "our" future than that of Warhammer Fantasy, which wouldn't fit in any past era of real history. Or do you mean that in the sense of the world of WHFB as a feral world in the 40K setting on which Sigmar then found himself after the dispersal of the primarchs? Because while that could be made to make sense in some fashion I don't remember ever seeing anything that would imply it.

The Orks are literally the same, the Daemons and chaos gods are too, and there's actually quite a bit of winks and nods in the fluff for Warhammer that put it in the same universe as 40k.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

VanSandman posted:

The Orks are literally the same, the Daemons and chaos gods are too, and there's actually quite a bit of winks and nods in the fluff for Warhammer that put it in the same universe as 40k.

I thought they rolled that insinuation back after the last big fantasy campaign? Wasn't there some big interview around that formally estalished different universes?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There are quite a lot of people who like the idea, myself included, but I don't think it was ever outright stated, and they've been moving the settings progressively further apart for some time.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

PrBacterio posted:

He means the second one and it used to be hinted at everywhere.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yes there was - but originally I think the insinuation at least was that sigmar was a lost primarch, who was taken by the emperor after forming the empire

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think you guys are confusing your fluff with Internet speculation. There was never any insinuation that Sigmar was anything but an awesome dude who kicked serious butt. He wandered off into the Worlds Edge Mountains after abdicating his throne to see what he could find - he didn't ascend into the heavens with the sky angels or whatever.

40K and Fantasy overlapped back in the day because 40K, in the beginning, was an extension of the Fantasy game - Space Orcs, Space Elves, Space Dwarfs, etc. This was carried over into the Realm of Chaos books - while compatible with WFB and 40K, they were essentially self-contained and took place in an environment where the Chaos Gods would gift their champions with crazy poo poo like chainswords and plasma pistols. The whole point of the game was outrageousness, and the overlap worked. Other than that, the two worlds pretty much never intersected, aside from mention of the Old Ones and the Chaos Gods.

In fiction/fluff, you did have the Liber Chaotica books, in which a guy from the Old World sees visions of 40K, but that could be attributed to the Chaos Gods spanning different dimensions.

Obviously, there are intersections between Fantasy and 40K, but nothing so blatant as Sigmar being a lost primarch. He's just the heroic figure who saves the town and wanders off into the sunset at the end of the movie.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I dunno, I'm thinking oblique references in slaves to darkness. I'd have to check it out again.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I read this last night - though, I wasn't sure if it was referring to SM rebellion, or just a poorly written sentence referring to numerous rebellions (most likely by worlds/forces thought to be under Imperial control) that occurred throughout the Great Crusade.

The reason I feel the latter is because every time SM vs. SM is brought up, everyone is aghast and can't believe something like that could really happen. If it had happened previously, everyone would have been like "Oh, poo poo, here we go again."
Thinking more about it, I am almost positive that it is there to provide justification for any type of game. The books contain stats and paint schemes for all the legions and their allies both during the crusade and during the heresy. So if you have Luna wolves and I have crusade painted word bearers, now there is justification. And it let's them do more tournaments in that vein.

It makes more sense then the "magic warp rift" justification for the "The Fall of Medusa V" tournament campaign

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The only fluff on the matter is written by C.S. Goto. You don't want to know.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Other than that, the two worlds pretty much never intersected, aside from mention of the Old Ones and the Chaos Gods.
Teclis gets into the Webway in Giantslayer and the Albion campaign rewards around the same time were literally just 40k wargear items. There was also the Amazon warband for Mordheim which had bolters.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Teclis gets into the Webway in Giantslayer and the Albion campaign rewards around the same time were literally just 40k wargear items. There was also the Amazon warband for Mordheim which had bolters.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Albion. As for the Amazons, I think those were more energy weapons, not bolters. That being said, the Amazons were not "official" as they were based off of the Lustrian fan expansion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was official enough as far as Mordheim went. It was published by GW in the end so all rights were handed over. I have it from Jervis himself that he considered it as official as can be, via a silly failed project to update some warbands so they didn't break regular Mordheim I got involved in. TBH they were described as energy weapons, but the stats were just Bolt Gun and Bolt Pistol from Necromunda but with no ammo to worry about.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

lenoon posted:

Yes there was - but originally I think the insinuation at least was that sigmar was a lost primarch, who was taken by the emperor after forming the empire

As much as I love the idea of Warhammer Fantasy being a feral world, can you imagine the imperium turning up and finding a world with medieval humans, infested with orks, populated by medieval eldar, reavers, dwarves and glowing with chaos rifts, psykers, sorcerers, etc. A world where the dead rise up into armies, giant rats have kingdoms, etc.

"Yeah, we found a primarch, but... gently caress this"

<Exterminatus>

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dog_Meat posted:

As much as I love the idea of Warhammer Fantasy being a feral world, can you imagine the imperium turning up and finding a world with medieval humans, infested with orks, populated by medieval eldar, reavers, dwarves and glowing with chaos rifts, psykers, sorcerers, etc. A world where the dead rise up into armies, giant rats have kingdoms, etc.

"Yeah, we found a primarch, but... gently caress this"

<Exterminatus>

"Wait! Maybe something can be salvaged from this clusterfuck!"

"-Oh, and the medieval humans are super religious."

"Nevermind, carry on."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Skaven build a giant warpstone cannon and blast the exterminatus fleet out of the orbit. (They also destroy everything within a 50 km radius from the cannon, but eh, Skaven) Everything goes on as normal.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Donnerberg posted:

"Nevermind, carry on."

Wouldn't that be a positive though?

Yeah they'd nuke the place for sure.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Wouldn't that be a positive though?

Yeah they'd nuke the place for sure.

I think he means the pre-heresy Imperium. Still looking for the Primarchs and all.

I don't think there's a case for Sigmar being a Primarch though, but it all hinges on how his priests channel their powers. There's a lot of evidence for belief itself being enough of a catalyst for humans being able to do crazy poo poo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

That was official enough as far as Mordheim went. It was published by GW in the end so all rights were handed over. I have it from Jervis himself that he considered it as official as can be, via a silly failed project to update some warbands so they didn't break regular Mordheim I got involved in.
Yeah - I know it was "official" in the sense that GW gave it their blessing, and published it, but it was still created by a bunch of fans.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished Battle of the Fang. Thought it was pretty unremarkable overall. Now that I've read Wrath of Iron and this, I think I can put my finger on why Wraight's writing doesn't grab me. The prose and descriptions are okay, but none of the characters are all that interesting or evoke any sort of empathy. They all come across as cardboard cutouts for what their role in the story should be.

Abnett and ADB need to push more stuff out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Donnerberg posted:

"Nevermind, carry on."

Well, there was Lorgar and his planet...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Rat posted:

Just finished Battle of the Fang. Thought it was pretty unremarkable overall. Now that I've read Wrath of Iron and this, I think I can put my finger on why Wraight's writing doesn't grab me. The prose and descriptions are okay, but none of the characters are all that interesting or evoke any sort of empathy. They all come across as cardboard cutouts for what their role in the story should be.

Yeah, in this vein, I read Scars and wasn't impressed either. I didn't like his characterization of the White Scars and the Khan at all, and none of the characters were very distinct. The entire plot is pretty meandering and much of it is pointless, with not a whole lot of tension for some reason. He introduces like 4-5 different characters but then they mostly don't do anything, and the Khan himself is poorly written. Overall it was an utter tease of a book and I would be mad if I had actually paid for each installment separately.

I also remember reading Battle of the Fang and being disappointed because he apes bits from Abnett's Prospero Burns, but captures none of the flavor and the book turns out pretty flat and boring.

Wrath of Iron I thought worked, but maybe it's because it's the Iron Hands, so flat prose and boring characters actually is in line with the effect they're looking for.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Cream_Filling posted:

I also remember reading Battle of the Fang and being disappointed because he apes bits from Abnett's Prospero Burns, but captures none of the flavor and the book turns out pretty flat and boring.

Yeah, that too.

quote:

‘Shush,’ came a wet growl, impossibly deep, sounding more like a leopard’s than a human’s.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanSandman posted:

I like to think one straight up refused to be a warlord, thus necessitating their extermination because the last thing you want is for a genetically engineered superman with the knowledge to create an empire running around behind your front lines not listening to you.
The other? Was the Warboss of Ullanor.

That's actually not a bad idea. "Oi, I'm da biggest, da baddest, and da most red, so therefore I da Big Warboss! :haw:"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

That's actually not a bad idea. "Oi, I'm da biggest, da baddest, and da most red, so therefore I da Big Warboss! :haw:"

It'd be hilarious if the Primarch took the form of the first lifeform he encountered, an Ork.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Demiurge4 posted:

It'd be hilarious if the Primarch took the form of the first lifeform he encountered, an Ork.

That's one of the reasons the idea isn't completely retarded. They do seem to have that ability, after all. And their natural ability to inspire and lead is a lot like the ork's ability to be da biggest.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Orks have the natural ability to feel something isn't orky, and only obey the strongest among them. Even when they trade or form alliances with other species, they must have (or feel they have) the upper hand.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

The Rat posted:

I like Wraight and I think his prose is improving unlike some of the other authors especially since Wrath of Iron was written a year or so after Battle of the Fang.

He tells great grimdark stories like Abnett and ADB but I think his characterisation is not quite there.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Angron first encountered some Eldar, still became a human

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fried Chicken posted:

Angron first encountered some Eldar, still became a human

Russ is human too. Etc.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't know why people call Lion an aspie when considering the incident between him and Russ. Russ is like having an alcoholic degenerate bigger brother who beats your rear end for getting to the only Xbox first. Laughs about it then gets really mad when you hit him back.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

I don't know why people call Lion an aspie when considering the incident between him and Russ. Russ is like having an alcoholic degenerate bigger awesome brother who beats your rear end for getting to the only Xbox first. Laughs about it then gets really mad laughs at himself when you hit him back.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

I don't know why people call Lion an aspie when considering the incident between him and Russ. Russ is like having an alcoholic degenerate bigger brother who beats your rear end for getting to the only Xbox first. Laughs about it then gets really mad when you hit him back.

Because we know that for Russ that is all an act. He plays up the "I'm a big dumb short tempered berserker" but he's a really cagey operator who does it in large part to manipulate people, including all his brothers.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fried Chicken posted:

Because we know that for Russ that is all an act. He plays up the "I'm a big dumb short tempered berserker" but he's a really cagey operator who does it in large part to manipulate people, including all his brothers.

Most of them know it's an act, but they know he can be relied upon to keep up the act unless he's acting against them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Also he probably enjoys it because acting stupid ironically is fun, and when people occasionally fall for it and underestimate you it's even more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fried Chicken posted:

For all we know the Lion is just acting like an aspie, and when he gave those weapons to the Iron Warriors, he was doing it to try and please the other side, so he can just flip to the otherside when however starts winning. :tinfoil:

I really wish the DA didn't end up with like 3 different writers, all of who seemed to be pretty bad.