Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Mr. Belding posted:

Eh, I'm was planning on easing into a raw food type of diet instead of doggie TV dinners. Maybe this thread just isn't for me. I'll look for a place where people are talking about that kind of stuff I guess.

Balanced food is hilarious, too. May 80s nutrition never die.

HelloSailorSign is a vet (iircc) and knows his poo poo. We're not being diffcult in trying to make sure you don't gently caress up a puppies' nutrition. A cooked egg is not "raw food" and generaly speaking if you want to get raw food, you'll end up buying something like Stella and Chewy's where...wait for it...someone has done nutrient analysis and testing to make sure it is appropriate.

Feed your dog whatever you want I guess, but don't piss and moan at people who are giving you medically sound advice about balanced food (how funny, right?) that is appropriate for a puppy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

wtftastic posted:

HelloSailorSign is a vet (iircc) and knows his poo poo. We're not being diffcult in trying to make sure you don't gently caress up a puppies' nutrition. A cooked egg is not "raw food" and generaly speaking if you want to get raw food, you'll end up buying something like Stella and Chewy's where...wait for it...someone has done nutrient analysis and testing to make sure it is appropriate.

Feed your dog whatever you want I guess, but don't piss and moan at people who are giving you medically sound advice about balanced food (how funny, right?) that is appropriate for a puppy!

This is a really good post. I'm a pretty strong raw food advocate, and I give my dog egg on occasion, but it is important to understand the necessary vitamins and minerals and their interactions and the consequences of not having enough or too much of one or another. There *are* good homemade recipes out there created by canine nutritionists who have studied and have their veterinary degrees, and I'd recommend looking for those if you do want to go the homemade route. I myself use a commercial frozen raw diet that is both AAFCO balanced and locally-sourced, and I feel like that is an excellent compromise.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mr. Belding posted:

Eh, I'm was planning on easing into a raw food type of diet instead of doggie TV dinners. Maybe this thread just isn't for me. I'll look for a place where people are talking about that kind of stuff I guess.

Balanced food is hilarious, too. May 80s nutrition never die.

So unbalanced food is all the rage, huh?

You have a (likely) 4 pound puppy. You fed it one egg. That might not seem like a lot, but it's the same as feeding a four year old human 10 eggs in a meal and calling it "a good meal."

Hellloooooo cholesterol.

If you do raw, please weigh the positives and negatives of raw and come to your conclusion logically. Please use a commercially made raw as long as your puppy is growing so it gets the nutrients it needs to grow appropriately. Internet recipes are almost always inadequate nutritionally for mature dogs, and for puppies even more so. Please do not give your puppy Ricketts. Remember you own a Papillon, not a wolf. A papillon has even separated by its wild canine ancestors by the human equivalent of over ten thousand years,and has experienced far greater selection pressure and genetic changes than humans.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Max got a quail egg with his toothache recovery mush today, have I killed him?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

Max got a quail egg with his toothache recovery mush today, have I killed him?

Yes, however due to the albumin content of the egg normal euthanasia solution won't work and instead you'll need to use a machete or a .22 in order to be kind to him.

Don't do this

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

HelloSailorSign posted:

So unbalanced food is all the rage, huh?

You have a (likely) 4 pound puppy. You fed it one egg. That might not seem like a lot, but it's the same as feeding a four year old human 10 eggs in a meal and calling it "a good meal."

Hellloooooo cholesterol.

A shade over 10 pounds. She's (likely) a papillon mix. Some sort of spaniel for sure.

Dietary cholesterol... I'm not saying dogs are identical to humans, but come the everloving gently caress on. Cholesterol doesn't work that way. And you think an egg will hurt a 6 month old puppy then I just don't know what to say.

Canids aren't any more nutritionally complex than people (simpler actually) and either can live a long and healthy life on nothing but meat and and a favored veggie here and there. Granted it's better not to eat that way because variety is fun, but that variety doesn't need to be corn meal and beef byproduct.

edit:

Oh, and I hope this helps regarding cholesterol. Yes it's from 1973. It works the same way in people. We have known this for 40 years and people still find it too complicated.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 4, 2013

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mr. Belding posted:

Oh, and I hope this helps regarding cholesterol. Yes it's from 1973. It works the same way in people. We have known this for 40 years and people still find it too complicated.

Yes, it was dumb of me to assume you have the knowledge of the average person (almost none) and used a common health myth in order to try and get the point of unbalanced across. Seeing as you glossed over Crooked Booty's Ca:Phos ratio, I assumed to use something more common to try and get the point across.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yes, it was dumb of me

So far so good, but it can't last.

quote:

to assume you have the knowledge of the average person (almost none) and used a common health myth in order to try and get the point of unbalanced across. Seeing as you glossed over Crooked Booty's Ca:Phos ratio, I assumed to use something more common to try and get the point across.

I didn't gloss over it. Once more Ca:Phos balance exists in humans as well. Look. If you're honestly convinced that the very best food in the world comes in packages then knock your self out. Eat chicken nuggets and giver your kids tv dinners and your dogs old roy. I don't give a drat. And I wouldn't criticize you for doing it because plenty of people do and it's your choice. I know where you stand and you're totally down with that stuff, and you know where I stand and I'm not. I'm pretty sure we can just leave it at that.

(And once more if you think an egg is going to throw off a 6 month old puppy's calcium to phosphorus ratios then sorry, apparently you think kibble sprouted, baked and purified from the ground before people showed up. It didn't.)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Mr. Belding posted:

I didn't gloss over it. Once more Ca:Phos balance exists in humans as well. Look. If you're honestly convinced that the very best food in the world comes in packages then knock your self out. Eat chicken nuggets and giver your kids tv dinners and your dogs old roy. I don't give a drat.

Are you planning on feeding your kids raw meat? Why are you making false equivalencies all over the place?

Also I don't really understand what you mean by "nutritionally complex" requirements. There are requirements that are different between humans and dogs. I don't see how either is more "complex," they are just different.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 4, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Mr. Belding posted:

So far so good, but it can't last.

I didn't gloss over it. Once more Ca:Phos balance exists in humans as well. Look. If you're honestly convinced that the very best food in the world comes in packages then knock your self out. Eat chicken nuggets and giver your kids tv dinners and your dogs old roy. I don't give a drat. And I wouldn't criticize you for doing it because plenty of people do and it's your choice. I know where you stand and you're totally down with that stuff, and you know where I stand and I'm not. I'm pretty sure we can just leave it at that.

(And once more if you think an egg is going to throw off a 6 month old puppy's calcium to phosphorus ratios then sorry, apparently you think kibble sprouted, baked and purified from the ground before people showed up. It didn't.)

Are you stupid or just dense?

No one is telling you to feed Ol' Roy. We're asking you to, if you chose to feed raw, consider buying a brand that has been AAFCO checked. There are a few, quality raw brands out there that do this, and they contain everything your dog needs to be healthy and happy. Additionally, if you source your raw meat (if you decide you can do it yourself) from a grocery store, you are risking some serious food poisoning issues. You can't just chuck raw veggies, some eggs, and meat in a bowl and say "yep that there sure is a good dog food". No one is saying that we should all just eat pre-packaged food.

Dogs are omnivores and scavengers- they'll eat meat, plants, and so on, and while it seems like this means they can just live on anything, its not that simple. If we want to go back to people, it'd be like eating chicken and green beans at every meal. How fast does that get bad for you in terms of the fact that its not nutritionally complete?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

wtftastic posted:

You can't just chuck raw veggies, some eggs, and meat in a bowl and say "yep that there sure is a good dog food".

You can, but it requires that the recipe is one given to you by an actual nutritionist who knows what they're doing, but that kind of costs money for a consultation and research that the person has legit credentials and not just "hey I found this recipe on the internet." I know plenty of people who make their dogs' food, but only after spending several hours under the guidance of a nutritionist. Basically more effort is involved than just "I put a fud in boul," though, like you said.

And I would really not make a big deal out of the food poisoning risk unless there are small children or immunocompromised persons living with you. If you take the same precautions you take when handling your own food (wash dog dishes after use, keep meat prep separate from everything else), the added risk is minimal and not even worth stressing over. Personally I think people who feed raw have cleaner food prep areas because they ARE cleaning frequently whereas most people who feed kibble don't wash their dog bowls daily, much less after every meal, and we've seen how fast that stuff can turn into salmonella station.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Mr. Belding posted:

Maybe this thread just isn't for me. I'll look for a place where people are talking about that kind of stuff I guess.

"I will look around till I find people who agree with me" is the opposite of developing an informed opinion on a matter.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

You can, but it requires that the recipe is one given to you by an actual nutritionist who knows what they're doing, but that kind of costs money for a consultation and research that the person has legit credentials and not just "hey I found this recipe on the internet." I know plenty of people who make their dogs' food, but only after spending several hours under the guidance of a nutritionist. Basically more effort is involved than just "I put a fud in boul," though, like you said.

And I would really not make a big deal out of the food poisoning risk unless there are small children or immunocompromised persons living with you. If you take the same precautions you take when handling your own food (wash dog dishes after use, keep meat prep separate from everything else), the added risk is minimal and not even worth stressing over. Personally I think people who feed raw have cleaner food prep areas because they ARE cleaning frequently whereas most people who feed kibble don't wash their dog bowls daily, much less after every meal, and we've seen how fast that stuff can turn into salmonella station.

Well yes, I agree with you on that, I meant more like a lay person doing so with no outside guidance is more likely than not to make some mistakes. :)

As far as food poisoning, I meant more that there was a risk for the dog than the person, as I've heard from a few people that they've had their dogs get sick off of grocery store sourced raw meats before. But yeah, absolutely, as far as people go its all about clean prep surfaces and good food hygiene practices.

I'm not ragging on FEEDING RAW IS WRONG its just that there are a lot of ways that it can go wrong or be hosed up. That's the beauty of half decent kibble for most dog owner- its hard to gently caress up.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Mr. Belding you seem like a nice poster and Papillons are my favorite dog, but this is your first dog. Also your posts started by talking about 'low carb' food and then instantly went off deep into the minutiae of mineral balances in pet food and raw diets. It may be worthwhile to consider the blurb in the OP about raw feeding. Your dog is going to do just fine on a higher quality food you buy at the pet store, which is in fact what your first post implied you were going to do before you somehow leapt off the deep end. Please come back to Sanityville and discuss this like a person who is not a child.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Hey Mr Belds, I totally feed raw, kibble, home cooked stuff, and whatever I feel like so I am not a big spaz that freaks out over feeding stuff besides packaged food. That said, you should prob listen to the posters here because while yes, dogs (like humans) ARE amazingly adaptable and forgiving when it comes to nutrition, it's not something you want to just dick around and fly by the seat of your pants with. There's assloads of misinformation on the internet that will tell you exactly what you want to hear and possibly gently caress up your dog and it's much smarter to just feed AAFCO tested foods (raw, if you want, is fine!) until you've taken the time to learn a bunch about canine nutrition and start making changes, hth

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
Can you guys check my thinking real quick about feeding? We currently feed Merrick Grain-Free Duck and Sweet Potato kibble and all of our dogs really seem to enjoy it. It is fine as food, and works as a treat when we're training. I'm usually pretty specific when it comes to feeding and have been feeding the two bigger dogs 2 cups a day (one in the morning one in the evening) but for laughs I decided to use the feeding calculator on Merrick's website.

For Artemis (who seems to be basically fully grown at about 9 months old around 40 lbs) it says 2 cups a day (+25% as a puppy). This seems fine and dandy (haven't been doing the +25% at this point but she is a healthy weight, looks great and has loads of energy) so I'm probably not going to mess with this one very much.

For Jada (who at 42 lbs looks like she has plenty of growing left to do. Her paws are still disproportionately large and has not put on any of her dog-muscle and just looks like a young puppy still at 7 months old) it says 3 cups a day (again plus the 25%). We've been feeding her 2 cups to this point so I think it's important to bump it up for her, but my main concern is volume. I've been told to feed to the weight you expect them to be and not the weight they are. Which means I should feed her 3 cups because we're expecting her to get to be 60+ lbs by the time she is fully grown?

I haven't been able to find something that I recall that says with confidence which way to go, so I wanted to check. I don't want my dogs to get super flabby because I'm over feeding them.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
I'm going to call my vet tomorrow to clarify, but I figured I'd ask to see if anybody has any experience with this.

My 4-month-old kitten is currently on a prescription diet due to stress/food sensitivity? colitis. The difference in his stool is like night and day, he's no longer having gross pudding stools or diarrhea and goes once a day as opposed to 3+ times a day.

A diet change was in order anyway because the stuff he was on was pretty high in carbs. The vet told me the prescription diet is formulated to be easy to digest, and can be switched in and out without causing any digestion distress like if I was switching between nonprescription foods.

I read that Innova can be good for cats with sensitive stomachs. Has anyone switched to a different food entirely after finishing the prescription diet? Or should I go back to his old food and transition? If it's the old food that was causing his issues, I don't want to start it up again.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

aghastly posted:

I'm going to call my vet tomorrow to clarify, but I figured I'd ask to see if anybody has any experience with this.

My 4-month-old kitten is currently on a prescription diet due to stress/food sensitivity? colitis. The difference in his stool is like night and day, he's no longer having gross pudding stools or diarrhea and goes once a day as opposed to 3+ times a day.

A diet change was in order anyway because the stuff he was on was pretty high in carbs. The vet told me the prescription diet is formulated to be easy to digest, and can be switched in and out without causing any digestion distress like if I was switching between nonprescription foods.

I read that Innova can be good for cats with sensitive stomachs. Has anyone switched to a different food entirely after finishing the prescription diet? Or should I go back to his old food and transition? If it's the old food that was causing his issues, I don't want to start it up again.

You should be able to transition slowly from the easily-digestible food to a new food, as opposed to the one that was causing diarrhea.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Perfect, thanks! I've got a week and a half's worth of the prescription food left, time to start making the switch.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So thanks to the recall it's getting hard to get Innova EVO 95% protein canned food for my cat around here since a lot of stores have either stopped carrying it or decreased how much they have on hand. Are all the highly recommended protein foods more or less interchangeable?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Eej posted:

So thanks to the recall it's getting hard to get Innova EVO 95% protein canned food for my cat around here since a lot of stores have either stopped carrying it or decreased how much they have on hand. Are all the highly recommended protein foods more or less interchangeable?

I get my EVO from Petflow.com, and have been very happy with that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Eej posted:

Will any of your local stores special order for you? My store innova sales have completely tanked so we don't order much of their stuff anymore. We have a couple items that are requests from long time customers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think some will. I'm just wondering if I should just switch to another kind of food if consumer confidence in the brand has been so shaken that people don't normally carry it anymore. That and my cat's poop smells like the crazy (I'm pretty sure any high protein food will cause this though).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, I remember Posted how much my cats eat, and I'm pretty sure I got told I still over feed them, and I want to make sure I'm backing down to proper amounts.

Right now I give them 2 cans of wet food in the morning (some form of blue buffalo) and a cup of dry food. Should I cut back both the dry and wet, or should I just drop down to 1 can of wet food in the mornings?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I've got an 8 month old, 20 poundish rat terrier mix who positively inhales his food at mealtime and acts as if he is dying if someone is eating cheese or meat within his scent shot. We're feeding him the amount his food's feeding guide says to (He's on Nutro Puppy and we give him about 2 1/4 cups a day) and the vet says he's right at the ideal weight so I'm curious if his eating habits indicate that we might be underfeeding him or if he's just a dog who's super into food and would eat forever if given the opportunity.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Is there a good calculator for a combined wet and dry food diet for a cat? I'm looking to give my 15lb cat (his ideal weight, he's a large cat) a wet food breakfast around 8am and dry food supper around 6pm because he scarfs down his breakfast so fast he usually pukes, and kind of grazes through the night. But after sitting down with pen and paper and trying to figure it out is stumping me.

If it helps, his diet is Royal Canin SO, the dry food recommends 9oz (1 and 1/8c) daily for his weight, and the wet food is 5.8oz cans.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I've got an 8 month old, 20 poundish rat terrier mix who positively inhales his food at mealtime and acts as if he is dying if someone is eating cheese or meat within his scent shot. We're feeding him the amount his food's feeding guide says to (He's on Nutro Puppy and we give him about 2 1/4 cups a day) and the vet says he's right at the ideal weight so I'm curious if his eating habits indicate that we might be underfeeding him or if he's just a dog who's super into food and would eat forever if given the opportunity.

If he's at his ideal weight, he is not underfed.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

He just really likes food. Use this to your advantage.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Nuns with Guns posted:

Would someone here who's better informed about pet nutrition be willing to explain all the things wrong with this:

From here: http://fuckyeahveganlife.tumblr.com/post/61810414321

Because right off the bat, the corn and brown rice scream "WRONG" in my head but I want to know exactly how harmful this would be for a dog. It seems pretty low on calcium and vitamin B12 to me.

It's almost certainly missing vitamin D3 and taurine as well, those only come from animal sources. I've heard there are vegan-friendly supplements that are okay for pets as well, but literally the only person I've heard that from is the smuggest vegan I've ever seen (his tumblr blog currently consists of around ten pages of nothing but him saying "dogs are omnivores learn your poo poo yo :smuggo:" to everyone telling him why he shouldn't be feeding his dog vegan, and especially not garlic, before you get to anything else, which is just as smarmy and "gently caress the bloodmouths :smugbert:"), so I'm disinclined to actually believe that's true.

You really shouldn't feed your dog vegan at all. It is at best an unknown quantity and at worst just as bad as it intuitively seems on the surface. You probably can, in the same sense that a person technically can live on nothing but potatoes with butter, but you need your dog to be constantly monitored by your vet to make absolutely sure you're not loving your dog's insides up feeding it so many vegetables; basically, just like it is for people, veganism for pets is only a viable option if you've got money falling out your rear end. Technically dogs can digest plant matter but, much like Smuggy McFuckerson I mentioned earlier kept insisting people show him unbiased and peer-reviewed papers saying vegan is objectively bad for dogs, there aren't any unbiased and peer-reviewed papers I can find saying it's not, either. It's safer, easier, and cheaper to just put your ideology aside for the sake of your dog and give them a meat-based diet.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Why do people insist on feeding their dogs a vegan diet anyways? I sell dog food and even I don't understand the "I'm vegan so I think my dog should be" argument. And don't tell me its animal rights issues because there are foods than include only fresh caught or free range animal protein.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a customer whose dog has all kinds of protein allergies so she used to feed him the vegetarian natural balance (which also says it's vegan on the bag). She switched to sojos recently.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

oddeye posted:

Why do people insist on feeding their dogs a vegan diet anyways? I sell dog food and even I don't understand the "I'm vegan so I think my dog should be" argument. And don't tell me its animal rights issues because there are foods than include only fresh caught or free range animal protein.

Yeah like phosdex says, pretty much the only excuse is allergies. Aside from that it is literally a superiority thing. They're so moral that their morality has spilled over into their pet and made the animal super moral too, and they're going to brag about how their pet eats a vegan diet. They will vehemently deny that they think this makes them better than anyone else, but it's pretty self-evident they're lying, because A) they're a vegan who owns a dog, even though they know dogs are primarily scavenging carnivores, and B) they would rather subject the dog to a cruel and unnecessary experiment than feed it a diet known to be healthy and nourishing.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Are there any weight control formula dog foods that don't contain chicken? A friend's dog is very allergic, but is getting chubby eating his new, non-chicken food. They haven't had any luck finding one, and I'd like to at least be able to say, "Hey, this brand makes a diet dog food that won't turn Buzz into an itchy, miserable mess."

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Just feed him less of the food he does well on, no need for diet food.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Yeah, I was gonna make the same recommendation, but I wasn't sure how to say it without sounding condescending. Weight gain isn't really a function of what food you're feeding him, there's no magical "eat lots of this to lose weight" food for dogs, anymore than there is for humans. Really at this point it's just portion control. Your dog doesn't free-feed well, so you need to monitor his eating for him.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Help!
Cats are fat.
Have two of them.
Feeding them Solid Gold Indigo Moon twice a day at 1/4 cup each feeding. Each cat therefore gets 1/2 a day.

Both are non-intact females.
This is the lower edge of the feeding recommendation bracket for their "ideal weight".

Should I move it down to 1/3 a cup total a day per cat?

Gatos be Fatsos.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

How long have they been eating 1/2 cup a day?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

We got cat #2 in July. So since then for her. Probably at least six months for cat #1.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, you should cut down a bit. I've had the same issue with Solid Gold, it's much more calorie dense than lower-tier kibbles and my cat has gained a pound on it, so I'm also in the process of reducing the amount she gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

Question for you knowledgable cat owners out there:

I know that it's better to feed canned food than dry food, but what about a combination diet? If I feed my cat Orijen regularly but a good brand canned food three days a week, is that an acceptable balance? I don't know that I can afford to do canned food exclusively, but I'm willing to pay a little more to keep my cat healthy. Will giving wet food 3 times a week be enough to accomplish that?