Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its almost guaranteed that crystal tower is going to be full of great arrangements from FF3 just like the eventual Gilgamesh encounters are going to have the most bitching rendition of battle at the big bridge yet.

You start of with "emerald" carbunkle which is the ranged dps one. Then you get topaz which is orangy gold tank one. After you become a summoner you get ifrit, then you get titan and finally garuda. They've mentioned that you'll get more after the level cap. We know that Ramuh and Siren are already in the game's client and Leviathan is going to probably be the next primal we'd have to fight in the story. We know that there is concept art for Shiva as well.

I don't think Siren is a Primal though, given how she appears in the game and the fact that none of the beastman tribes worship her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You start of with "emerald" carbunkle which is the ranged dps one. Then you get topaz which is orangy gold tank one. After you become a summoner you get ifrit, then you get titan and finally garuda. They've mentioned that you'll get more after the level cap. We know that Ramuh and Siren are already in the game's client and Leviathan is going to probably be the next primal we'd have to fight in the story. We know that there is concept art for Shiva as well.

Yeah, I'd seen the two Carbuncles - that was actually the first thing that kinda made me interested in playing. (Carbuncle is awesome, give me a break.)

Is it doable to, as a Summoner, have Ifrit and the emerald Carby out at the same time? Because I could probably live with that.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah this is what I was getting at. And it's not like the classic FF games weren't lousy with pop culture references.

SE should get the Working Designs guys together just for future localisations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

SE should get the Working Designs guys together just for future localisations.

I've played what Gaijinworks has put out. You really don't want that.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't think Siren is a Primal though, given how she appears in the game and the fact that none of the beastman tribes worship her.

You can be a Primal and not have someone still around to worship you. I think that's the case with Odin in 14, too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

I've played what Gaijinworks has put out. You really don't want that.
Well they are missing like half the dream team. I hear Zach Meston is in real estate these days.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Kyrosiris posted:

Is it doable to, as a Summoner, have Ifrit and the emerald Carby out at the same time? Because I could probably live with that.

No, because you can't have two pets at once.

Vanderdeath posted:

You can be a Primal and not have someone still around to worship you. I think that's the case with Odin in 14, too.

Odin was summoned as well. But being as ridiculously powerful as he is, he had to be sealed in a crystal by someone and "recently" broke loose.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SpazmasterX posted:

No, because you can't have two pets at once.

Oh. :saddowns: And I guess a Summoner wouldn't be very much contribution using the emerald Carby instead of Ifrit, huh?

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh. :saddowns: And I guess a Summoner wouldn't be very much contribution using the emerald Carby instead of Ifrit, huh?

Well emerald Carby is ranged while Ifrit is melee. During the Titan fight, for example, having a ranged pet is better then a melee one. (also Carby gets replaced by Garuda later on :( )

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not even innuendo. I was serious a bit upthread when I said all the NPCs constantly tell you to get sodomized. I'm almost certain that "bugger" is the most commonly used word in the game, followed closely by "shite" and "the".

There's also a lot of people threatening castration on each other.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Jehuti posted:

Well emerald Carby is ranged while Ifrit is melee. During the Titan fight, for example, having a ranged pet is better then a melee one. (also Carby gets replaced by Garuda later on :( )

But you could always change back to Arcanist when you're around town to keep Carbuncle out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Most translation is outsourced. It's part of the reason you can get such widely varied translations from within a single company. To use a more recognizable name, Alexander O. Smith's company Kajiya Production is hired to do a lot of stuff although IIRC he began in-studio at S-E.

And even if the translation process itself for Nier was outsourced, there's so much more to localization than translating. Nier is basically the best localization job that any Japanese game has ever had for a couple of reasons.

1. Localization started while the game was in development and was done in parallel to the design of the game in Japan.
2. The devs understood the enormous cultural gap between Japan and the West and that it meant they needed to redesign the main character and redefine his relationship with Yonah, which is the most important aspect of the game for the player to buy into.

Actually taking the time to say "hey, western audiences don't always buy into stories that hinge on the player having internalized Japanese family structure, what can we do about it?" is more work in actual localization than all of FF13 got combined.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 25, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Defiance Industries posted:

And even if the translation process itself for Nier was outsourced, there's so much more to localization than translating. Nier is basically the best localization job that any Japanese game has ever had for a couple of reasons.

The Phoenix Wright games did a pretty good job as well. :shobon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1. Localization started while the game was in development and was done in parallel to the design of the game in Japan.
2. The devs understood the enormous cultural gap between Japan and the West and that it meant they needed to redesign the main character and redefine his relationship with Yonah, which is the most important aspect of the game for the player to buy into.

Actually taking the time to say "hey, western audiences don't always buy into stories that hinge on the player having internalized Japanese family structure, what can we do about it?" is more work in actual localization than all of FF13 got combined.

Yeah, Nier is a case where it got frankly more localization than I would have expected but it worked entirely in its favor. It's possible to do a hyper-Japanese game and still have to appeal to Western audiences (Persona 4 is a good case here) but even that requires really thinking about how you're writing the story and handling the translation. In the case of something like Nier "father and daughter" just plays better culturally than 'brother and sister' for the kind of story they were going for and they knew it. You can't do that with everything but you have to at least understand the meaning behind what you're doing. (And that is a big part of why Nier's localization is so good.)

FFXIII is really Japanese but they didn't even make an effort which stands out a lot. There are people who don't like FFXII's translation but the Japanese script for FFXII is loving dry and trying to bring it over literally really wouldn't have helped the game any, even if there are people the translation style drove off. People might not like how it turned out but a lot of time and effort way put into the localization and help make the concepts work.

S-E really has no excuse for a lot of what they did with FFXIII, not even 'well, it's just how the company handles things.' You can point to plenty examples of how they've put out better products in the same drat timeframe.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 25, 2013

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I seem to recall FFXII having a lot of colorful references in its fluff quests as well. I sort of assumed it was the localization team's 'thing' to pull that whenever they could get away with it. Who knows. Maybe the original text is just a bunch of 2 chan memes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Nononono, guys, guys, you're forgetting the first step in all of this: a J-Pop (sounding) theme song with tangentially-at-best related lyrics! Like this!

What am I doing linking that stuff on here? :gonk:

Is this good? I'd watch it if it had more stupid-awesome poo poo like this.

Also, what's the funnest class to play in FFXIV? I prefer tank/DPS classes, as well as any silly "DUDE CHECK OUT WHAT I CAN DO!" classes. Like Guild Wars 1's Dervish, a scythe-wielding profession that can get abilities to morph into an avatar of one of the five Tyrian gods.
To this day, I still enjoy hearing newbies go "WHOAH! Dude how did you change into that awesome berserker thing!? Can I do that!?" :3:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Also, what's the funnest class to play in FFXIV? I prefer tank/DPS classes, as well as any silly "DUDE CHECK OUT WHAT I CAN DO!" classes. Like Guild Wars 1's Dervish, a scythe-wielding profession that can get abilities to morph into an avatar of one of the five Tyrian gods.
To this day, I still enjoy hearing newbies go "WHOAH! Dude how did you change into that awesome berserker thing!? Can I do that!?" :3:

WARRIOR RAAAAGH THROW AXE BREAK ROCKS WITH FACE RAAAGH

Marauder/Warrior's a hell of a lot of fun, as long as you don't mind being hilariously worse than the other tank option. Far as DPS goes, I've enjoyed playing Lancer/Dragoon a fair bit (also Dragonfire Dive is maybe the coolest-looking ability in the game) and I hear that Thaumaturge/Black Mage is fun. I personally thought that Pugilist/Monk has way too much movement built into the class, but I hear that gets better at high levels.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SSNeoman posted:

It's...

Honestly, I watch it more for guilty pleasure than anything else at this point. :blush: But, yeah, the other trailers and series proper do get crazy at points.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

Just play it for a month, burn out, and come back to the thread so you can bitch how FFXV is never coming out seriously SE.

I kind of want a Final Fantasy V-3 Dimensions 2. I mean it was a pretty decent game all told and I'd love them to give me another job focused five person party game.

I'd do this but I know that if I get one of those Magitek mounts (they're mounts, right?) I'd never stop. :v:

That loving Sned posted:

Oh God, this is wonderful. Final Fantasy II and Dragon Quest II may be some the worst games in their series, but their music is fantastic.

I love the logo for it too, and it's a shame they didn't go for a unique logo in each game.

It gets a pass because that's clearly the Blood Sword he's holding. :black101:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Also something worth mentioning about FFXIV - your chocobo can fight along side you and learn moves of its own.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ragequit posted:

Also something worth mentioning about FFXIV - your chocobo can fight along side you and learn moves of its own.

It's more important to mention how loving useless this is.

Edit: to clarify, since this sounds kind of mean on it's own, you cannot use a mount or sit in the dungeon finder while you have your fight pal out.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 25, 2013

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Finally up to the "Open" part of FFXIII - is it just me or are the battles now taking even longer than they did already (And that was already too long)?

Or am I just bad :(

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Finally up to the "Open" part of FFXIII - is it just me or are the battles now taking even longer than they did already (And that was already too long)?

Hahahahaha welcome to your despair.

Enjoy the Behemoth fight. Watch out! Kill him in five seconds or he fully heals AND becomes ten times harder! Enjoy facing literal mountains of HP and flailing helplessly!

I made it past where you went, but there's a big boss fight upcoming that just broke me. The game is now "open" and that means it's way harder and even less fun than before. FYI don't waste your time leveling up people's jobs outside of their comfort zone, it simply isn't worth it.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Not that I can talk, but it should be pretty obvious: There's no good game that only gets good after the first 20 hours.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I actually didn't hate the first 20 hours... the linearity was a bit tiring but most of the boss battles and stuff were fun. It's the non-boss battles that get to me.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Train on the fairy types in the SW portion of the Steppe before moving onto the Behemoth fighting the dog-beast on your way to the next plot point. That'll catch you up to speed, but large chunks of the Steppe will still be too difficult even with capped Crystarium.

Aside: Totally didn't realize Lightning Return's first boss theme is in 11/8 meter. So rare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zmADlntFoo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

If battles are taking too long you're probably not using debuffs and buffs. They're absurdly powerful.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

If battles are taking too long you're probably not using debuffs and buffs. They're absurdly powerful.

That was a bad move in a game that wanted to have fast battles. Making buffs and debuffs super powerful makes them mandatory, and that pads every fight out for two or three turns. FF12 had ridiculously powerful buffs, but it wasn't as bad because you could apply them out of combat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was a bad move in a game that wanted to have fast battles. Making buffs and debuffs super powerful makes them mandatory, and that pads every fight out for two or three turns. FF12 had ridiculously powerful buffs, but it wasn't as bad because you could apply them out of combat.

Huh? It does the exact opposite of that. It reduces the number of turns you spend on battles. That's the entire point of it.

Buffing and debuffing isn't padding. It is as much a part of combat as attacking or healing. FFXIII's combat system is partially built around managing and keeping buffs/debuffs up because it's more effective to keep enemy badstatted and attack than it is to mash attack.

The "two to three turns" part also makes no sense unless you're seriously trying to apply every buff/debuff before you attack. In most cases there are one or two buffs (which can be applied in a turn) which massively increase your capabilities and anything beyond that is overkill.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 25, 2013

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Geez, tell me about it. FFXII's buffs, looking back on it, when you get them all up probably increases your damage threefold, and at least doubles it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The problem is that the AI is terrible at buffing, and you only get a handful of opportunities to control the only character with offensive buffs until the game allows you to choose your leader.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The problem is that the AI is terrible at buffing, and you only get a handful of opportunities to control the only character with offensive buffs until the game allows you to choose your leader.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The AI tends to pick the optimal choice for aggressive combat in every situation. They will default to things like Enfire over defensive spells in a situation where that will be effective but that is usually because Enfire will contribute a lot more to your party survival than a defensive spell. Likewise, if an enemy does strong physical attacks it defaults to Protect-ect.

The AI in FFXIII is very predictable and follows a set pattern:

It will begin by casting according to Libra information in this specific order:
If an enemy has a strong physical attack (listed in Libra) is begins with Protect
If an enemy has a strong magical attack it begins with Shell
If an enemy has a strong elemental attack it begins with Half-(Element.)
If an enemy has a strong status effect it will use Veil
If an enemy has an elemental weakness it will use En(Element)

Afterwards it will do the following:
Caste Haste on itself
Cast Haste on allies
Add physical/magical defense buffs when the enemy outnumbers the player team
Add attack/magical damage buffs when the enemy is fewer than the player/a single strong enemy.

Obviously it skips any of these if the Synergist/Enhancer doesn't have the required spell. It also doesn't react optimally until Libra information has been gathered same as other roles.

Sabotaurs/Jammers are far simpler:
Does the enemy not yet have Libra? Spam until something hits.
Does an enemy have a debuff listed as a weakness in Libra? Spam the fucker until it hits.
Does an enemy already have "recommended" debuffs activated? Spam other available debuffs based on enemy type. If there are a lot of small enemies it focuses on debuffs that disable the enemy. If there is a single strong enemy it focuses on debuffs that lower that enemy's stats.

If there is AI that is kind of awkward it is the Medic:

The priority is as follows:
Leader at HP < 30%
Other characters at HP < 30%
Leader at HP < 70%
Other characters at HP < 70%
Recover dead ally
Remove status effect
Fill HP to 100%

This means you can't actually depend on a medic recovering your status effects unless the rest of the team is alive and in good health, which can be annoying and means you do need to manually Esuna if someone is getting wrecked by a badstat,

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 25, 2013

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A tip that helped a ton with flying through the latter half of XIII with ease: always start with Bully paradigm (COM/SAB/SYN)

I'm about 10 hours into 13-2 and I've already hit cap with a role. This game has an exceedingly fast pace, I assume in response to complaints about 13's slow build. It's a lot more hectic and battles are wayyy shorter, which I still don't know what I think about it. Buffs/debuffs aren't as worthwhile outside of the Haste buff you can get, but it does mean bosses are actually differentiated from most encounters, in contrast to XIII's weird balance where lots of world encounters were harder than actual bosses.

The plot is also somehow worse than XIII's which is an impressive feat.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Huh? It does the exact opposite of that. It reduces the number of turns you spend on battles. That's the entire point of it.

Buffing and debuffing isn't padding. It is as much a part of combat as attacking or healing. FFXIII's combat system is partially built around managing and keeping buffs/debuffs up because it's more effective to keep enemy badstatted and attack than it is to mash attack.

The "two to three turns" part also makes no sense unless you're seriously trying to apply every buff/debuff before you attack. In most cases there are one or two buffs (which can be applied in a turn) which massively increase your capabilities and anything beyond that is overkill.

If the game wasn't balanced around the assumption you use them in every fight, every fight would be a few turns shorter. The game acts like every moment of it should be vomiting numbers onto the screen rather than spending the beginning of every battle doing the equivalent of warm-up stretches. Buffing and being a part of boss strategy is fine, but when every enemy encounter is balanced on that assumption you done hosed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If the game wasn't balanced around the assumption you use them in every fight, every fight would be a few turns shorter. The game acts like every moment of it should be vomiting numbers onto the screen rather than spending the beginning of every battle doing the equivalent of warm-up stretches. Buffing and being a part of boss strategy is fine, but when every enemy encounter is balanced on that assumption you done hosed up.

Except you're treating them as 'warm up stretches' instead of a part of combat, which is the problem. Buffing and debuffing are also part of combat and shouldn't only be regulated to boss fights. There are tons of non-FF games which make properly buffing and debuffing a major part of the game and are better for it.

Your assumption is "well, if they didn't balance around the assumption you used them, every fight would be shorter" which isn't remotely true because it assumes that all they'd do is make buffs/debuffs worthless and drop enemy HP levels down to compensate for not having any meaningful option besides attack/defend/heal. If debuffs/buffs were good then people would still use them. If they they're not then you're making them worthless... entirely so people won't use buffs/debuffs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 25, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Other games (persona did this for instance) emphasize a methodical pace and making calculated decisions. FF13 is about mashing auto battle and the game vomiting out numbers on the screen. It's not that buffs are bad design period, they are bad for the kind of game FF13 wants to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Other games (persona did this for instance) emphasize a methodical pace and making calculated decisions. FF13 is about mashing auto battle and the game vomiting out numbers on the screen. It's not that buffs are bad design period, they are bad for the kind of game FF13 wants to be.

FFXIII really isn't about that though. Yes, it's possible to just mash auto-battle and watch numbers pop up but the actual mechanics are deeper than that. Much like... basically every Final Fantasy game you can basically mash "confirm" and get through a large chunk of battles, but the actual mechanics can be stronger when you actually analyze them.

Most FF games tends to have more interesting mechanics under the surface that get buried by the excessively bloated numbers which make it basically pointless to use them. You don't have to touch 90% of what they offer and in many cases uses the more interesting things makes the game slower than just brute forcing the game. It kind of sucks but it's the downside of creating RPGs for a wide audience: it's usually easier to overcompensate than to risk people getting angry they got stuck.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 25, 2013

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
"FF13 is about mashing auto battle"
"FF13 battles take too long"

do you maybe see a connection

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Occasional paradigm shifting is SO DEEP guys, it totally changes the fact that the whole game screams "go go go!" Non stop. "Methodical pace" is as antithetical to FF13 as coherent plot.

I also never said the battles took a really long time, I said buffing was a padding in battle time that clashed with the game's ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
How to deal with every single battle in XIII:

1) start off with at least one of your guys as a commando.
2) switch to an all ravager paradigm.
3) stagger everything, win.