Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
The cross-examination themes are just the best ever :allears:. The music really shines with headphones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah upon playing until the end of day 2, I really didn't. It looks like they picked the very worst parts of the serie, between obnoxious characters, previsible plot twists and baffling stupidity from the main character. I do hope it gets better, because so far, with the exception of Fulbright and Blackquill, it's probably as bad as 4-3 was.
Sorry, that case was loving amazing and it was nowhere near as bad as 4-3. :colbert:

Edit: I will say that the third case is probably the worst case I've played so far, but even that case has quite a few good moments. The fourth case has been pretty drat good as of the "day 1" investigation and they introduced a character who seems to be literally Yuri Gagarin. :psyduck:

TheEggsBenedict fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 25, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The music is so great! All the courtroom stuff is wonderful and (early case 3) Apollo's theme, the piano version of his objection theme is amazing. Who composed, Iwadare again?

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Pastrami posted:

Did anyone else feel like in case 1 of Dual Destinies that turning WOODS into the serial number was insanely obtuse? If you erase the entire curve on the D and part of the W then it becomes the serial number on the case!

Neither myself nor a friend who have played all of the previous games could follow that kind of "logic".

I goofed that up at first (I figured out the "D" part but thought erasing the little bit on the "W" didn't count), but it made sense to me, more or less.

Anyways, it's great to get back into the series again. I've only finished Case 1 so far, but it was fun. I'm liking the characters so far, and the writing hasn't lost a step. I also liked how the ending of the case was somewhat unique with Ted threatening to blow up the courtroom. Don't think I remember anything like that before.

I'm not sure yet about Athena's powers. It seems like it'd be a little easy to use, but then I bet I'll run into a bit where all four emotions are flashing and I'll wish I kept my big mouth shut.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nick Biped posted:

I'm not sure yet about Athena's powers. It seems like it'd be a little easy to use, but then I bet I'll run into a bit where all four emotions are flashing and I'll wish I kept my big mouth shut.

I got super annoyed with it in case 2 (I'm not any further) because the game flashes two emotions and wants you to track their intensity through a scene but they both go up and down it what felt like a sensible enough patter. I felt like I just didn't get what they were going for and ended up brute forcing that puzzle.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Barudak posted:

I got super annoyed with it in case 2 (I'm not any further) because the game flashes two emotions and wants you to track their intensity through a scene but they both go up and down it what felt like a sensible enough patter. I felt like I just didn't get what they were going for and ended up brute forcing that puzzle.

I got it on my first try, so you probably just suck at animelytical psychology.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I dunno (case 2)getting happier (or, as the game puts it, less sad) upon entering room with a dead alderman and your own father unconscious and bleeding after being beaned with a statue is KINDA weird. If "basic human emotions" are suddenly anime, then that explains why Athena's superpower of empathy is, well, a superpower.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

I got it on my first try, so you probably just suck at animelytical psychology.

Its true, I only have a degree comiclytical psychology. I knew I should have double mastered.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Basically, the thing is that whilst the tutorial bit claims its about 'unexpected emotions', what it really means is that, do the emotions make sense relative to the scene in question. So not only are the right emotions there, but are they at the right level you'd expect?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
So whatever happened with the (case 1 end spoilers) remote detonator? Was it a total red herring?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Knowing series precedent, it'll likely turn out really important later. Remember Kristoph Gavin's apparent lack of motive back in Apollo Justice? That escalated oh so much by the last case.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

canoshiz posted:

So whatever happened with the (case 1 end spoilers) remote detonator? Was it a total red herring?

Yeah if this doesn't become super critical later I'll be darn surprised.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Am I the only one being driven insane by (early case 3) the noise Robin makes all the time? I dunno what it's even meant to be, is it his breathing? It's like nails on a chalkboard. If I have to interact with him much more I'm gonna have to turn the sound off. :(

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

eating only apples posted:

Am I the only one being driven insane by (early case 3) the noise Robin makes all the time? I dunno what it's even meant to be, is it his breathing? It's like nails on a chalkboard. If I have to interact with him much more I'm gonna have to turn the sound off. :(

It's his brace, haha.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Jesus does non bombed Apollo look lame as gently caress.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Early case 4 spoilers: Man Solomon Starbuck looks a lot like Larry Butz. So of course he's the defendant.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mein gott... I haven't even gotten to the trial in Case 2 yet and already it's glorious. :allears:

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Does anyone else feel like Athena is bordering the line of "Mary-Sue?" I'm not saying she isn't an enjoyable character, but she's an 18-year-old lawyer genius who is also a tough girl! She's also super clumsy, and has a cute, robotic friend who sometimes blurts her true feelings But uh-oh, she isn't all smiles because of her dark, brooding past!

Snix fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 25, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snix posted:

Does anyone else feel like Athena is bordering the line of "Mary-Sue?" I'm not saying she isn't an enjoyable character, but she's a tough girl who's also super clumsy, and has a cute, robotic friend who sometimes blurts her true feelings But uh-oh, she isn't all smiles because of her dark, brooding past!

That's not really a Mary Sue, though. A Mary Sue is a character who is basically super competent to the point of embarrassing major characters. There's a bit of it there, but it's more a case of "We've already got two pretty competent lawyers here, we need a new character who's not completely incompetent but yet still needs things explained so we can justify a tutorial." Mary Sues are basically perfect to the point where Being Good At Things is their only character trait.

So, basically Edgeworth if he never lightened up.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
When Blackquill slams the desk, Taka looks startled for a second :3:

It's the little things.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Crappy Jack posted:

That's not really a Mary Sue, though. A Mary Sue is a character who is basically super competent to the point of embarrassing major characters. There's a bit of it there, but it's more a case of "We've already got two pretty competent lawyers here, we need a new character who's not completely incompetent but yet still needs things explained so we can justify a tutorial." Mary Sues are basically perfect to the point where Being Good At Things is their only character trait.

So, basically Edgeworth if he never lightened up.
I suppose saying she feels a little like a fan-character would be more accurate then.

While I see where you're coming from with Edgeworth, I wouldn't quite put him as far up as Mary Sue, since his status was meant to make him an intimidating antagonist, and in the end, Phoenix could always outsmart him.

Edit: Now that I think about it, yeah, Edgeworth might have been the only competent character in the AAI. I love Gumshoe to death, but it'd help if his intelligence didn't go down with each new release. I mean, he can be badass when he wants to be. Remember in case 1-3 where he stormed in and prevented Phoenix and Maya from being silenced?

Snix fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 25, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snix posted:

Does anyone else feel like Athena is bordering the line of "Mary-Sue?" I'm not saying she isn't an enjoyable character, but she's an 18-year-old lawyer genius who is also a tough girl! She's also super clumsy, and has a cute, robotic friend who sometimes blurts her true feelings But uh-oh, she isn't all smiles because of her dark, brooding past!

She's not better than the rest of the cast though, so she's not a Mary Sue. Like she in the first two cases is explicitly shown to have a lot of nervous jitters, not be completely confident, and need training on finer points of the insane legal universe that AA inhabits.

When Blackquill slams the desk, Taka looks startled for a second :3:

It's the little things.

I love it and laugh each and every single time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
:v:-The thing I love best about bombs is how they destroy without discrimination

That's still the funniest drat line for me, it's just so awkward.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just heard the remix of Apollo's objection and oh my god it sounds absolutely fantastic. :swoon:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Out of curiosity, what was Taka called in Japanese? "Hawk" in English or was it always Taka?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Sherringford posted:

Out of curiosity, what was Taka called in Japanese? "Hawk" in English or was it always Taka?

Gin, which apparently means Silver.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sherringford posted:

Out of curiosity, what was Taka called in Japanese?

Gin.

I think Taka was a pretty good choice for the translation, really.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Case 3 ending spoilers here:It as a good case and a great mystery! Until the ending ruined the whole buildup with "Haha, look at these lawyer hijinks happening here. Isn't it goofy? Oh, wasn't there a murderer here? Whatever, guess he's laughed out of the court, too. Hahaha!" I know it wasn't exactly the end of the world happening but man, show the tension some respect, writers!

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
You know, the stepladder jokes are what stands out in everybody's minds but I think presenting the attorney's badge is my favorite running gag.

e: And I like how Apollo calls you out for senselessly presenting every single piece of evidence to every single NPC no matter how irrelevant because video games.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 25, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

HelloWinter posted:

It's his brace, haha.

Well that problem got solved quicker than I'd anticipated.

Case 3 is anime as gently caress. I liked her better when she was yelling all the time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Case 3 is anime as gently caress. I liked her better when she was yelling all the time.

Heartily agreed. In fact, Gigi put my thoughts of it on paper pretty well here (again, case 3 day 1 spoilers, do not read): http://allmarios.tumblr.com/post/65068279108/ace-attorney-5-spoilers-i-got-mad-on-twitter-and

I think the point is supposed to be that she's SUPER MASCULINE and then afterwards ~extremely feminine~ and it's funny because genders, haha. But it was reeeeaallly clumsily executed. She in fact becomes a lot more tolerable, and sometimes funny, once the writers (and hopefully, you) forget the whole thing about gender confusion the next day.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
STILL CASE 3 WHOA Robin's still the most likeable character in this case so far. All the others are just hateful. And honestly I'm relieved that she was just crossdressing because of parental pressure or whatever, she didn't really want to be doing it - for a minute I thought I was going to be outing a trans person or revealing that some poor boy secretly liked crossdressing or something meanspirited like that.

I mean, I don't feel quite so mad about it as Gigi. After a bit I quite enjoyed Robin's flip-flopping between hyper-feminine and bellowing across the courtroom.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CONTINUING ON CASE 3 It's definitely an odd case. I liked it more than I liked case 2, which is basically a first for the series, but oh boooyyy does it have some really awkward/dumb parts. Certainly didn't help with all the FRIENDSHIP :byodood: though I did really like Robin. Hugh can go die in a fire though oh my god I do not care about you at all. It's definitely not as bad as 4-3 or 2-3, but also not as good as 1-3 or 3-3, if I had to rate it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Man, I'm pretty sure I'm right near the end of case 2 and L'Belle has loving balls to actively blackmail Daimon into silence in the middle of the trial.

e; Ahaha "Yeesh, Rube Goldberg machines have less elaborate setups than L'Belle's scheme..." :allears:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 25, 2013

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Can't stop playing, this entire game is magical. It's like all the charm that AA4 sucked out has miraculously reappeared.

I'm pretty sure I had things to do today other than destroying my eyes, but who cares.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 25, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I just noticed that during Blackquill's "pound the desk and laugh" animation, Taka seems to be snickering along. I love this bird :allears:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 2 full case spoiler:

Yyyup.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite audience member is the guy with the grey beard and mustache over Athena's shoulder. He disapproves so strongly of that flag in front of him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My only problem with the portrayal of Athena is the implication that the ability to identify someone's emotions by the sound of their voice is some kind of superpower, which isn't really a problem with her per se.

Obviously it's just a way to mechanically interact with witnesses' emotions, like the crime scene reconstruction gadget in AAI, but characterizing it in that way is... problematic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I don't really get the Mary Sue accusations toward Athena, because it's rather solidly established she's not that good as a lawyer, rather jittery, and prone to outbursts that win you no favors with the Judge. I mean yeah, she's 18, and I hope there is a better explanation for her age than I studied in Europe and somehow skipped grades like mad here, lol the japaneses know nothing about other educative systems, but still she's pretty good as a newbie character so far.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 26, 2013

• Locked thread