Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Don't forget the last boss where the ground is covered in ambiguous, fuzzy-edged and sometimes invisible death zones, with Flappy constantly putting down even more of the same, while the boss does a bunch of differently-shaped oneshot-you AoEs in an attempt to force you into getting knocked off the edge or equipping 7 impairs.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Clairetic posted:

Don't forget the last boss where the ground is covered in ambiguous, fuzzy-edged and sometimes invisible death zones, with Flappy constantly putting down even more of the same, while the boss does a bunch of differently-shaped oneshot-you AoEs in an attempt to force you into getting knocked off the edge or equipping 7 impairs.

Yeah, I learned the hard way that this is actually not a good thing to learn tanking with.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Are you guys actually having trouble with the event dungeon? I've found it to be an extremely easy and short loot corridor that could probably be 3 manned in about 10 minutes even on nightmare. I also haven't noticed any significant difference between normal and nightmare, either.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mercurius posted:

an extremely easy and short loot corridor that could probably be 3 manned in about 10 minutes even on nightmare.

That is correct, we did exactly that earlier today.

quote:

I also haven't noticed any significant difference between normal and nightmare, either.

Only difference is substantially more HP on mobs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The only failure I've had was when we had one of those runs where the DPS just doesn't seem to exist for some reason, and the tank (me) kept getting hosed over by the random filth pools.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Mercurius posted:

Are you guys actually having trouble with the event dungeon? I've found it to be an extremely easy and short loot corridor that could probably be 3 manned in about 10 minutes even on nightmare. I also haven't noticed any significant difference between normal and nightmare, either.
I was trying to healtank it with some very drunk party members.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 24, 2013

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

quote:

Adjusted the experience awarded to groups, depending on group size (awards are unchanged for solo play and for groups of five).

Good night, sweet prince.

1.8 is out, but issue 8 isn't live yet

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Funcom posted:

Reduced rubber-banding issue that occurs when certain abilities are queued.

We're not saying it's Shootout, but...

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Funcom posted:

Updated the tooltip for Do or Die to more accurately reflect its effect.

Guess a buff that adds 25% more damage is too confusing for people to understand. :suicide:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Brain In A Jar posted:

We're not saying it's Shootout, but...
Exsanguinate and hair trigger make me rubberband as well (any ranged focus ability probably), hopefully they've fixed all of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
There's now an orange bar above the ability tray to indicate when the game considers you 'in combat'. That's cool.

Now give us the actual update, please.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do they really expect people to farm a pumpkinhead before they're able to do the new halloween dungeon?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
^^^^^
It's Funcom.

Very Likely Probably.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Okay, there's some "Funcompetence" to it, but it's not as blatant. Samhain 2013 works like this: You have to start it by picking up an item quest in the League of Monster Slayer treehouse, otherwise none of the quests show up. This is unlike the Samhain 2012 stuff which is just out there, and starts with a phonecall when you log in. The new boss fight (outdoors) is a dungeon mission, all the other new ones are item missions so you can technically do both years' mission chains at once. All the lore is located near the missions' objectives (some of which are in instances).

There's a map of it here: http://tsw-geo.com/halloween/

The dungeon quest you get from Andy makes you get a pumpkin from a ghost vendor, with your group of five you place them in a summoning circle. Now if you gently caress up in any way (summoning times out, or starting it without 4 others who also have a pumpkin, eg.) the pumpkin is consumed and you can't get a new one. The only way to complete the quest in this case is to wait for another group to summon the boss and getting "AoE" quest credit (here's the Funcompetence part).

Also MMO devs can seriously :getout: with these RNG bags, I must have opened 50+ of them and I got none of the special items like temporary glamours or permanent clothes, but seven (useless) severed feet so far and a shitton of regular QL10 consumables.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 25, 2013

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Wow, sounds like they didn't learn anything from the end of the world event last year.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AlmightyBob posted:

Wow, sounds like they didn't learn anything from the end of the world event last year.

More like "The people who learned things got laid off."

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
I'm getting a real kick out of the Samhain missions, but I'm a lore nerd so your experiences may differ.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like the stories (although I skipped large parts of the texts, due to their choice of pseudo-handwriting fonts), didn't like the "all the running around" design. Nor did I like having to go back to Moon Bog :argh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

orcane posted:

I like the stories (although I skipped large parts of the texts, due to their choice of pseudo-handwriting fonts), didn't like the "all the running around" design. Nor did I like having to go back to Moon Bog :argh:

The only one I outright skipped so far was Kyra's. I was going to skip Roget's, too, but hers does require some reading (and is very good).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hahaha

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Sorry for the double post, but cool as poo poo cross-faction spoilers for the Dr. Armitage Samhain 2013 quest.

Per the Illuminati turn-in: The story is false. It has to be, because Krieg was in rehab when the events described in it were taking place.

Per the Dragon turn-in: We switched Krieg with someone else. Krieg wasn't in rehab.

The thing that's awesome to me is that if you only saw your own faction's story, you wouldn't know what was really going on. I'm glad we swapped turn-in stories.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
It may be that I've been away from this game too long, but I'm having unreasonable amounts of trouble with The Organ Harvesters. Maybe I just need to switch to a more tanky/AoE focused build, but right now I load in, am attacked for about 1/3 of my life while in the load screen (which isn't long, I'm playing on an ssd and never have had issues with this before.) I can usually get that first wave down, but then the second spawns immediately (as I kill the last person in the first wave the whole of the second has rounded the corner to me) and I'm nearly completely out of life and die. Then if I release I respawn in the middle of the wave at 300hp and get wiped instantly. Right now I'm running a AR/shotgun spec that was popular when I last played almost 9 months ago so maybe its just out of date?

Otherwise I'm liking this Halloween event as cheesy as the stories are.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Yeah an AOE build should do it, unless you're really undergeared.

I just had an amazing bug happen at the end of the Innsmouth Academy Halloween mission. Even though the Whiskey item was gone from my inventory, my character still had it in his hand and kept drinking from it, renewing the effect for about 30 seconds after the fight had ended. My alt became an alcoholic :ohdear:

guppy posted:

Sorry for the double post, but cool as poo poo cross-faction spoilers for the Dr. Armitage Samhain 2013 quest.

Per the Illuminati turn-in: The story is false. It has to be, because Krieg was in rehab when the events described in it were taking place.

Per the Dragon turn-in: We switched Krieg with someone else. Krieg wasn't in rehab.

The thing that's awesome to me is that if you only saw your own faction's story, you wouldn't know what was really going on. I'm glad we swapped turn-in stories.
I just did this on my Templar alt, and the Templars have no loving clue what's going on

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

what

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Some more without my UI in the way.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So, pubbies went through hundreds of the green bags (the ones you get from Samhain 2012 missions, and from mobs in Blue Mountain) and apparently the clothes and glamours were removed, these bags only drop candy, severed feet and energy drinks this year. Incognito still spawns in Kingsmouth and drops a head, but the bloody pumpkinhead is currently nowhere to be found. This would mean you cannot complete last year's halloween achievements.

The new bags (you can get 10 every 18 hours, and they're tradeable) drop five pieces of clothing, flares, 5k pax, 2 bullions and the same stuff as the green ones. The Cat God fight becomes a repeatable dungeon quest after you turn in the quest, and even has a nightmare mode that drops purples. The cooldown is 3 hours for the normal fight and 6 for the nightmare one, apparently.

Oh and if anyone wondered why there were four Orochi women in the dungeon cutscene, that's not intended according to Funcom. :allears:

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 26, 2013

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

What's the Haunted buff on mobs in Blue Mountain?

nm: Kitty of Ulthar.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Zephonith posted:

Yeah an AOE build should do it, unless you're really undergeared.

That did the trick. Now I feel really silly. Its a pretty easy fight when even vaguely set up for it. (Though that may have something to do with being in a clown suit of QL 10 rare and uncommon items.)

How are the halloween dungeons? Worth trying to find a group for?

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 26, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's one dungeon. Normal mode isn't particularly challenging. It's mostly about fighting 29k HP adds and avoiding a few attacks. Technically you could solo it with enough patience and the right build. Nightmare requires having beaten Gatekeeper and it's mostly some more HP on the enemies from what I hear, no additional mechanics. I don't know what the rewards are, though, other than 10.1 purples in nightmare.

The other, new boss is outdoors, he's just Jack-o-Lantern as he shows up in Savage Coast/Blue Mountain, but tuned for a full party. That means lots of AoE things to avoid (hope they show up on your screen in time if enough people are in the area). Normal variant drops nothing and is basically your spooky story quest mob.

However, as people discovered today, there's a hard mode Jack-o-Lantern. By summoning him with five different quest pumpkins in a specific order you summon a version of Jack with 12 million HP, which auto-completes a bonus mission if you kill him like the anniversary golems. The fight is exactly the same clusterfuck of low FPS, high latency, lots of unavoidable deaths because you didn't see things or couldn't move as the golems. The quest rewards a purple bag which can contain a bunch of items, like signet bags, heads (apparently the bloody pumpkinhead from last year drops here, as well as a new grinning pumpkinhead and other things) etc. Pubbies set up the #halloween channel where you can meet up on people who are fighting or summoning the hard Jack.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 27, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

orcane posted:

There's one dungeon. Normal mode isn't particularly challenging. It's mostly about fighting 29k HP adds and avoiding a few attacks. Technically you could solo it with enough patience and the right build. Nightmare requires having beaten Gatekeeper and it's mostly some more HP on the enemies from what I hear, no additional mechanics. I don't know what the rewards are, though, other than 10.1 purples in nightmare.
The Amethyst Mouser pet!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

orcane posted:

However, as people discovered today, there's a hard mode Jack-o-Lantern. By summoning him with five different quest pumpkins in a specific order you summon a version of Jack with 12 million HP, which auto-completes a bonus mission if you kill him like the anniversary golems. The fight is exactly the same clusterfuck of low FPS, high latency, lots of unavoidable deaths because you didn't see things or couldn't move as the golems. The quest rewards a purple bag which can contain a bunch of items, like signet bags, heads (apparently the bloody pumpkinhead from last year drops here, as well as a new grinning pumpkinhead and other things) etc. Pubbies set up the #halloween channel where you can meet up on people who are fighting or summoning the hard Jack.

People you have your mission: gently caress up the Super Jack summoning ritual.

I have already done this once, largely unintentionally. But I'm very thankful I did it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I got a purple signet bag from killing Super Jack.

Subjugation.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

People you have your mission: gently caress up the Super Jack summoning ritual.

I have already done this once, largely unintentionally. But I'm very thankful I did it.
That is a great plan if you don't have buddies who might want your pumpkin to help summon Jack/Superjack for the next 18 hours, or if you don't want any of the rewards from the purple bag.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Looks like 1.8 includes an outfit, QL10.1 custom epics, and unique purple signets just like 1.6 and 1.7. Everything is currently bought with the currency from Scenarios, rather than with Ca' d'Oro stuff. You can get a custom 10.1 belt, and the signets are a 1.5% bonus to Evade, a 1.5% bonus to barrier/leech/healing abilities, and a 1.5% bonus to damage dealt.

The outfit is "Venetian Tactical Armor."

You can also buy non-custom QL10 Epics with the Scenario currency. The certification for Tokyo doesn't appear to require more than a few scenarios, though I'm gonna be amused if a bunch of people come back to do Tokyo and get wave defense outraged.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

I can't wait to have those wrestling boots :ohdear:. 1.8 is rounding out to sound pretty interesting, I just hope that the scenarios are well thought out and not just a tedious grind for another currency to buy stuff with.

We'll see I guess.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

What is N'Gha-Pei the Corpse-Island?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Kumo posted:

What is N'Gha-Pei the Corpse-Island?

The lair raid that nobody wants to do.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pubbies found out a way to get 20 (and more) pumpkins on a single character at once. Now there are several of them chain-summoning (or trying/failing to) Superjacks :lol:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

orcane posted:

Pubbies found out a way to get 20 (and more) pumpkins on a single character at once. Now there are several of them chain-summoning (or trying/failing to) Superjacks :lol:

Well that's one way to demonstrate the problems of the lag-tastic gajillion-HP fuckbosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

orcane posted:

They've also found a way to repeat the Nightmare Catgod as many times as they want to.

• Locked thread