Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Noricae posted:

Yeah, definitely. Ok I'll stop bitching about bards until I reach 20+. :S

I had absolutely no problem soloing & grouping my pure bard up to 20 before EDs were even a thing. Displacement + haste + ccw + any loving scroll i possibly could want due to high chr and max UMD = easy going.

I used 2h fighting and didn't even have cleave and it was no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Oh absolutely. It shouldn't be hard, bards are really great self sufficient characters and their DPS isn't half bad pre-20 at a minimum (no idea how they hold up post 20 with the new enhancements and EDs). I've never gotten to play one with EDs (yet), but Cocoon is loving ridiculous and relegates Heal scrolls to condition cures mostly on a Paladin and I'm sure Ranger/Bard it's basically the same. It's a ridiculously great twist on anyone who has the mana to spare and does any sort of healing.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

I haven't played in a year+ what's the learning curve with all the additional content? I started reading through things and my eyes widened at some of the extras and additional content (druids!) that has been added. I dl'd the client again and logged in and my characters were still there including my day 1 guy. Is it better to start from scratch or continue on with existing characters?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You're probably better off making a new character unless your old character(s) have a ton of good bound to character loot, aka raid loot. Then you can just aim for hitting 20+ and TRing. It kinda depends on the specifics of the build though, most builds from a year ago are perfectly viable, but two or three years ago... not quite as much. Viable, but not nearly as good/fun.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I did that a good four or five times until I got really hooked, every 5-8months for years. Did paladin, rogue, bard and cleric around the same time, then wizard, wizard, wizard etc. until artificer was released. I found it more fun to make new builds from scratch and invest in a new character until one stuck.

And exactly what DemonMage said - coming back a year later to a paladin/rogue was ??? due to class updates.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I'd actually keep the same character. I think all characters were given a +20 LR token recently with U19, so you can rebuild your characters however you want, and you won't have to go getting new tomes or anything if you had any of those previously. Plus every class has gotten a massive overhaul with the recent enhancement changes, I see no real point in starting over. Then again, I'm a sucker for legacy poo poo.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I forgot about the free heart, even though mines sitting in the bank. On top of that, all characters have a free Lesser Reincarnation by talking to the reincarnation dude. Between the two of those, you've got a lot of freedom for respeccing/building your character.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh yeah, definitely *keep* them, just probably find whatever new build you find fun to play, on the same characters respec'd or on new ones. It sounded like the choice was trudging through the same old build on old characters or trying something new. Eh, whatever is fun, really - do that ;)

Noricae fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 24, 2013

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Interesting. I'll definitely look at keeping the better ones around. Thanks for the info

Woden
May 6, 2006
Mabar is back up and only slightly less laggy than before, guessing it'll get worse as more people get online and hit it.

Lamania is also getting updated ATM, hopefully the loot from the new quests will be up but who knows.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Current Epic Past lives, remember you can use 1 stance per sphere, plus an Iconic Stance, and all passives simultaneously:
Passives:
Martial - +2 ac per stack (up to 9 stacks), +1 ac per 10 character levels
Divine - +2 physical resistance rating per stack
Arcane - 1% fire/acid/elec/cold absorb per stack
Primal - +3 max hp and 4 per 10 character levels (so 27 max base hp and 36 per 10 aka 108 at 30 scaling? that sounds kinda high but who knows)

Martial Stances:
Doublestrike: +2% doublestrike per stack (up to 3)
Skill Mastery: +1 all skills
Fortification: +10% fort

Primal:
Doubleshot: 2% doubleshot
Fast Healing: Every minute heal 5 hp + (5 hp/level) with positive energy. Doubled and tripled with stacks. So 465 hp/minute maxed out at 30. Needs to tick faster.
Colors of the Queen: Your unarmed, melee, ranged attacks, and spells have a 7% chance to produce a random effect. This triggers at most once every 60s. Additional stacks of this past life reduced the trigger effect cooldown to 45 seconds and then 30 seconds

Divine:
Healing Power: +10 Positive spellpower
Brace: +1 all saves
Block Energy: While blocking +10% absorb to acid/cold/elec/fire damage

Arcane:
Energy Criticals: +2% spell crit with acid/cold/elec/fire/sonic
Enchant Weapon: Your mainhand weapon gets +1 enhancement bonus per stack (adding magic and loving up Celestia? At least it's a stance if so!)
Arcane Alacrity: Spell cooldown reduced by 2/4/10%

Iconics:
Bladeforged: 5% fort/stack, stance: +10 repair spellpower/stack
Morninglord: +3 positive spellpower, stance: +10 light/alignment spellpower
Shadar-Kair: 1% dodge, stance: When < 50% hp and hit by attack, you gain 20% incorporeality for 6 seconds/stack. Can only occur every two minutes. If this triggers with Ghostly Essence their bonuses stack their durations.
Purple Dragon Knight: +3 PRR PDK gets an ability instead: Group Action Boost: You and all allies withhin your aura gain +10->15->20% action boost to move speed and +1->2->3 action bonus to saving throws for 20s. This ability can be used while fear and dispels fear. 3 uses a rest. While this ability is on cooldown you don't gain benefits from Iconic Past Life Stances.

Total Epic Passives:
21 AC, 18 PRR, 9% elemental absorb, 135 hp

Total Iconic Passives:
15% fort, 9 positive spellpower, 3% dodge, 9 PRR

All past lives kick in at level 1, including Heroic, Epic, and Iconic.

---

Looks good overall. Morninglord passive seems extremely weak compared to the others though. Also being able to get 27 total PRR from passives is pretty awesome. Not crazy about the Martial passive either. 12 AC is not as worthless as it was once, but it's not far off in EE or even EH. AC is cool until the teens and I don't care much after that... strangely like the old system. The new system is better but it's still not good. But hey at least having a 6% doublestrike and 30% fort stance to swap between is completely worthwhile! And even +3 skills for when you're trapping.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 25, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Also Mabar runs through the 11th. Plenty of time to get your +5 tome signets and then some for augments.
Also +25% experience through the 27th.
Also new Cosmetic eye glows in the store, limited time. Red, blue, green and white.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Isn't it 18 AC, +27 at level 30 once maxed out for a total of 45? Very grindy to max out for sure, but that's a pretty big chunk. I sit at around 70 AC and see the occasional misses on EEs, for the the middling EEs +6 +2AC(3 PLs) might actually be better than +3 dodge(3 Shadar-Kai PLs) especially if you get some sort of +x% bonus to AC.

So with Iconics I can only get one stance from any of them? Hmm, not really liking that, thought that Iconics were going to be a new cheap way for Turbine to add new races so once we get like 10 of them the one stance only thing would kind of suck. When you ITR do you get to pick the first level or do we need to burn a +1 heart of wood to change it? Still not sure how that works.

Some new items are up, the new augments look interesting. Blue slot one that has a 2% heal proc on getting hit that also damages enemies and a red aug with addy bypass, Destruction weapon effect and 3d6 rust damage to constructs. I'd have linked the images straight here but SA auto changes image shack to image shanty/barn for some reason.

Woden fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 25, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's 18 AC if you have 9 Martial past lives (aka 3 in each), since it's 2 per stack. Then it's +1 AC per 10 character levels, which is +3 at level 30. So 21 AC total. If it's worded poorly, then it's +3 per 10 levels or +9 at level 30 at maxed Martial past lives. Which puts us up to 27 AC total.

And yeah I forget the exact whys, but there's bad blood with image-shack, prefered host is http://imgur.com/ .

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 25, 2013

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I think Woden read the +1 per ten levels as 1 per stack, so 9 per 10 if you had all 9 past lives, It is hard to tell if that is the case or not, and it should follow the same pattern as the HP past lives, either +4 per 10 levels or +36 at 9 lives, I am guessing neither of the + per 10 stack per life, making the HP only 49.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Here's the picture someone posted:

Woden
May 6, 2006
18 AC at level 1 and only 27 at level 30 seems kind of broken, why even bother with the scaling AC if it's so tiny?

Really glad there's no +DCs, +spell pen and only +3 saves. The end boss in EE WGU casts flesh to stone with a DC of around 77, that's insane. If they had to re tweak that in 6 months because people who TRed a ton had +15 or w/e to saves that'd bump him into the 90s, and they'd do it the lazy way by just increasing his CL. So more HP, higher saves, better damage etc.

Whatever happened to getting more twists from TRing? Can't seem to find anything about that still being in but probably just missed it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Every 4 Epic Past Lives you have is 1 fate point. 36 epic past lives = 9 extra fate points.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 25, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Awesome, thanks. They also said something about the Karma carrying over if you grab an Iconic PL instead of an Epic PL or was that just about when U20 hits? Hopefully that'd mean if I max out all EDs before U20 I could just bounce between ITRs and ETRs while staying as a LD or whatever I could still grab say 5 arcane EPLs. And for other people it'd mean they could just do a few daily VoN3s and eventually get a divine EPL over a few lives rather than grinding it all in one life, or am I mis-remembering again?

Edit: so many dev posts in the last day it's hard to colate it all in my head.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Some of those bonuses seem really powerful, but holy poo poo, it will take forever to earn them so I guess it's worth it. Also, I guess I'd better get to earning tome(s) in Mabar. Is there a limit to how many +5s you can get? Is it just one, or can you get all stats?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's one +5 tome per character. Originally it was going to be one +5 and +6 per character but they backed off on including +6s to avoid the additional power creep. I'm guessing they might also want to save them as rewards for the new raid early next year since the cap will also be level 30 then.

Woden posted:

Awesome, thanks. They also said something about the Karma carrying over if you grab an Iconic PL instead of an Epic PL

The only way to "lose" Karma is to spend it by using it during an Epic Reincarnation.

Woden
May 6, 2006
On Lama it was one +5 tome per life, so shenanigans with hearts could mean more than one per toon but who knows if that made it to live.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So I sure hope this goes live. You can TR without emptying your cache on the test server right now and I didn't lose anything as far as I can tell. Bad news is that you don't get to pick your first level on an Heroic/Iconic Reincarnation into an Iconic. Still need to use an LR+1 to change it out I guess. Sucks, but not a huge deal for the most part. Hopefully that's something they'll reconsider.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I guess everyone will have a use for all their tokens of the Twelve for constantly doing that then :)

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
You can't buy lr+1 from anywhere other than the ddo store on live, is that changing for u20?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Not that I'm aware of.

[Edit] Mabar's "day" resets the same time as Challenge Tokens, which is 7pm Central. Which is midnight UTC.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 25, 2013

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh man, I would TR so many characters so I could store stuff... the huge increase in BtC gear is a real bummer and it's why I've stopped farming for certain things (especially lower level BtC gear that would be good to TR with but I don't want taking up space).

Already missed my first daily token, bah! :)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, I wish that had come earlier (assuming it's not a bug, I haven't seen any mention of it from a dev). Valisti had to destroy a bunch of cool/silly stuff the last time we TRed and I've had to destroy a few things. With potentially switching to only IR/ERing we could maybe free up some low level gear space, but I'd still love being able to accumulate new BTC stuff without fear of having to destroy interesting/fun/good items just to reincarnate. It makes them putting in all this BtC gear (and we've got a new raid coming first quarter next year...) not nearly as frustrating.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yes, I really really really hope it stays. I've seriously quit playing half my characters due to storage issues (they're already holding BtA stuff and don't have room for any new nicer gear). Sad that I'm so excited about storage though, haha.

Uhoh, not sure how I feel about fate points and epic lives. I guess it gives people something to do, but you can still only gain experience in destinies that are actively equipped, correct? (Having this changed would motivate me to do strings of epic TRs way more than anything. Boy do I not want to level as LD or Grandmaster on my artificer).

Woden
May 6, 2006
It's by sphere not ED, so if you hate LD but are cool with Shadowdancer all is good. You can also just take an Iconic PL instead from what I can tell, so if you do a Shiradi Arti and don't want a Primal PL for whatever reason you can just take the Iconic one instead(only for Iconic races of course).

Edit: If they just add a search field to TR cache all my inventory woes would be gone forever, really really hope they keep it in.

Woden fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 26, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Is any of the MotU stuff solo-able? I just hit 20 on my first toon and I want to unlock epic destinies, but I spend 90% of my playing time solo. Don't want to spend more than I have to on quests I'll never be able to complete.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Depends on the difficulty, and your build, but yeah, a lot of motu stuff can definitely be done on epic normal or epic hard with just a merc. Sschindylryn quests, for example, are definitely soloable on those two difficulties.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

It's by sphere not ED, so if you hate LD but are cool with Shadowdancer all is good. You can also just take an Iconic PL instead from what I can tell, so if you do a Shiradi Arti and don't want a Primal PL for whatever reason you can just take the Iconic one instead(only for Iconic races of course).

Edit: If they just add a search field to TR cache all my inventory woes would be gone forever, really really hope they keep it in.
I missed that! Sphere totally works; or at least better than nothing :) Search field would be fantastic. *cross fingers*

The MotU stuff is totally soloable, even on hard for half of it. There are a few things that you might get cremed on until you learn the trick or tactics to use in the quest, so don't give up on first try. I'd start on normal, but most of it is way easier than Eberron epics were on normal pre-epic revamp.

You should probably consider grabbing any sort of exceptional fortification (ideally 25%) item if you aren't wearing one yet since there are tons of attacks that can bypass 100% fort.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 26, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, any rogue type mob gets fort ignore equal to their CR. Which means epic hard stuff gets to ignore 35-50% fort or so. EE you're looking at closer to 75%. Which is why I'm happy Iconic/Epic stuff has fort options. Along with Brace for Impact and if you can find it some exceptional fort stuff, you can even be SA immune on EE again. Or just be an undead wizard.

But yeah, the epic stuff is totally trivial on EN, EH is not too bad generally speaking (except for those loving Shadar-Kai Assassins and prolly the Harpy Warblers), EE is where the real challenge to solo or short man can come in depending on your gear/build.

I'm really trying to decide right now if I should blow 500 TP on making myself Lawful and doing 18 cleric/2 monk (I'm just 18 cleric now, 8 starting dex but +5 dex tome). I don't think I can get my saves high enough to mean poo poo on EE, but I can probably do alright on EH. Casters are actually kind of a threat in the newer stuff on 18-20, groups of plant guys spamming 40~ damage Acid Balls (after resists) adds up real fast when there's 6+ of them. And then throw in wisps or Netherese/Shade casters. Alternatively I guess I could get my healing amp high enough so that Healing Aura is closer to Death Aura which should let me ignore casters on EH at least again.

We're not gonna TR again until U20 when we can start doing IRs instead most likely, so it'll see some use if I decide to go that way.

Woden posted:

And yeah this has been my hope for a long time. Adding to your TR cache is expensive/time consuming, very few people are going to have such a huge TR cache that there's almost no chance of a meaningful impact on server performance. So they might as well go full on and give it a search and/or filters. I'd still consider buying more character bank tabs just for lives when I'm sticking around in Epic levels for long picking up new shiny stuff.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 26, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Already maxed out character and bank slots, and right on the limit for BTC things again. If another big pack comes out I'm screwed.

Oh and I love those Shadar-Kai dudes, once you get a feel for it they're not so devastating and it'll never not be funny when someone gets torn up by them. Espescially if you sleetstorm/dance them first. Those Howlers though can gently caress right off, spamming stuns a billion times a second until you fail the save then tear you a new one.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah same. They're adding more shared bank slots with U20, but they never responded again when people made it clear that they wanted more character tabs. Maybe it's because they're not making you clear your cache anymore. Though they should still add more.

[Edit] Oh also you could change sex while TR/IRing on the test server. Again no idea if it's intended.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 26, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Two questions.

The first: I picked up the first expansion and went to the Fatespinner in the Marketplace, and I chose the Shiradi Champion ED. I'm getting the Favor of the Fey buff on my vorpals, so I know it's active. But my XP bar still says I don't have one active. Is there something else I have to do?

The second: I made it to Eveningstar, but I hear you need 125 PDK favor to be able to teleport there. Until I get that much, I have to run through the Beyond the Rift quest again every time I want to go there? I bound in the inn so for now I can do /death, but then I can't bind anywhere else.

And a non-question: That town is brutal on my computer. I ordered a new CPU but until it arrives my FPS will stay in the teens. Ugh.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 26, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Not sure what's going on with the Fatespinner, did you click the circular recycle type symbol to the left of the XP bar? It toggles between epic and ED XP.

You don't have to redo that quest, just go to the quest entrance and and you should be able to teleport to the Eveningstar Cavern. You did turn the quest in to Elminster in Eveningstar right? Maybe that's causing problems.

Woden fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 26, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Woden posted:

Not sure what's going on with the Fatespinner, did you click the circular recycle type symbol to the left of the XP bar? It toggles between epic and ED XP.

Yeah, it cycles between heroic XP, epic XP and then both. Still says it's inactive. The 40k XP I got from Beyond the Rift didn't count towards it, either. :(

Woden posted:

You don't have to redo that quest, just go to the quest entrance and and you should be able to teleport to the Eveningstar Cavern. You did turn the quest in to Elminster in Eveningstar right? Maybe that's causing problems.

Yeah, I did. I haven't actually tried to go back yet, I had just read about it on DDO Wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Go to your Epic Destiny window -> select Shiradi -> click make active at the top. Unless it already says "Active Destiny" in which case I have no idea if you've already relogged and it's still hosed up.

• Locked thread