Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I have a Chinese name so when naming my character I tried to translate it into Japanese (badly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I name them whatever suits my fancy, but common names are JACOB SPACE and Voltron.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I always get tripped up by the nickname thing. I never know what to put there.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I always name the main character after myself, but when I play Persona 4, I always internally refer to him as "Charlie" despite his name being my own.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Here's what the Japanese Devil Survivor 2 Animation box looks like. It seems like the only Atlus related property actually engaging the public right now.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dehry posted:

It seems like the only Atlus related property actually engaging the public right now.

I didn't realize how incredibly sad that was until you said that

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a couple things for the P3 movie, but it took the Persona 4 Bear twitter account until today to post something about the Persona teaser page

Kuma_Persona_PR posted:

Get good ... I bear off a month to go until "2013.11.24". bear what happens? Yosuke, Kumar also teach a bear loose! http://p-ch.jp/  

Also, the Atlus Product Team twitter appears to be active...promoting Dragon's Crown straps and Aigis figures http://www.quesq.net/products/p3p_aigis_school_wear_ver/index.html

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hashino had an interview with Sony Japan for PlayStation Awards 2013 and talked about the teaser there too. Supposed to be something good.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'd like to participate in the DeSu2 zeitgeist that Japan seem to be having but I'm too busy waiting for Break Record to come out in the US.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Machine posted:

I'd like to participate in the DeSu2 zeitgeist that Japan seem to be having but I'm too busy waiting for Break Record to come out in the US.

It's not out in Japan either. Index went full bankruptcy around the planned release. They delayed it to "fall" due to "quality issues." We only got SMTIV because technically, the US division is a separate company with all its stock owned by Index.Sega Dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qp4kXTxWx0
Of course I think there was a pretty bad reaction to the 3D cutscenes in the trailer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I always name the main character after myself, but when I play Persona 4, I always internally refer to him as "Charlie" despite his name being my own.

I named my character Superfly Johnson, in honor of a great classic.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I always name them Momo Momomo, so any character that ends up saying it sounds like they just had a stroke or something.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You guys are really creative, I always end using Ahuizotl Ocelotl, Coyotl or Tizoc Coatl as name for my guys :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How does it not feel weird as all hell to watch twitterpated cartoon schoolgirls going "OH EM GEE [your name]-kun you are just so totally whateverrrrr" :swoon:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Really Pants posted:

How does it not feel weird as all hell to watch twitterpated cartoon schoolgirls going "OH EM GEE [your name]-kun you are just so totally whateverrrrr" :swoon:

When Chie-chan addresses me by my name during our Christmas Eve date it makes me feel like she's actually my girlfriend.

(Seeing people say things like "Lucas-senpai" actually feels really weird, to be honest. I just use my name because I can't think of anything else.)

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The best part of the game is giving yourself super foreign names. At least, I think its funny when people address you as stupid poo poo like Carlos-kun and Jamal-senpai

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I use the canon (or manga, whichever) names, for maximum Law points in spirit.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I always make up some generic Japanese name, just because having all those characters addressing someone with a Western name utter shatters the illusion for me. I can't even give my characters funny names in games with no sorry to speak of, like the Legend of Zelda games. …I think I have problem.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I like the sound of 'Tizoc-kun' or 'Ocelotl-senpai' plus, Naoya ended with the totally metal name of Naoya Coatl :v:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The best part of the game is giving yourself super foreign names. At least, I think its funny when people address you as stupid poo poo like Carlos-kun and Jamal-senpai

I do this too since my real name is like that compared to the setting but I use some common Japanese surname to make it less/more weird.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
My default name in games is Zombor. I have no regrets.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I usually play the Japanese versions so I just pick surnames of famous historical figures and then use my host brother in Japan's given name since I have no imagination. I used to Kanjify my own first name as "raging dragon" because it fits (and there's pretty much no other decent way to Kanjify my name) and it doesn't feel like they're addressing me directly that way.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I always use my real name and if I play a woman I use the female variant (Jesse, Jessica).

I guess I'm boring! :(

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I just use whatever name the character looks like. :shrug:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hiro Protagonist. :colbert:

Actually I usually just look up the manga / guidebook names on the wiki because I am lame.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My first SMT game was Persona 3 and the opening video kept flashing MEMENTO MORI everywhere so I named my guy that in P3 and every other SMT game I've played since. Mori is actually a japanese word too so it sort of works out? And you can technically write Memento in Japanese although I don't think it means anything.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Light Gun Man posted:

Hiro Protagonist. :colbert:

Actually I usually just look up the manga / guidebook names on the wiki because I am lame.

I think I am going to do this from now on. Snow Crash was the best book ever.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm a girl with no easy male variation of my name, so I just always use Marcus Drakken. It generally feels close enough.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My first SMT game was Persona 3 and the opening video kept flashing MEMENTO MORI everywhere so I named my guy that in P3 and every other SMT game I've played since. Mori is actually a japanese word too so it sort of works out? And you can technically write Memento in Japanese although I don't think it means anything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No, they're saying that "mori" is coincidentally a Japanese word as well.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

No, they're saying that "mori" is coincidentally a Japanese word as well.

You never know. I just love how if you watch any of the Persona intro sequences you end up spoiling the entire story.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Hmm, is Persona 2: Innocent Sin (the PSP remake) supposed to be this easy on Normal? All the difficulty seemed to have been front-loaded. I haven’t been grinding at all, and just rush thru the dungeons as fast as I can. I actually managed to beat Joker by accidently leaving my game on auto-battle when I put my vita away.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thundercracker posted:

Hmm, is Persona 2: Innocent Sin (the PSP remake) supposed to be this easy on Normal? All the difficulty seemed to have been front-loaded. I haven’t been grinding at all, and just rush thru the dungeons as fast as I can. I actually managed to beat Joker by accidently leaving my game on auto-battle when I put my vita away.

Yeah, is more tedious that hard. I finished the snow queen quest and the normal game just using the initial personas.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Thundercracker posted:

Innocent Sin is super easy, yeah. The first time I played I cruised through the game until the final boss, and I think I was just doing things wrong there. Eternal Punishment is a bit harder, but neither is what I'd call a really difficult game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, if you want something to talk about before the Persona announcement, November 1st is the day Sega takes over Index completely. Pink slips may be flying come Friday or Monday.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Dehry posted:

Well, if you want something to talk about before the Persona announcement, November 1st is the day Sega takes over Index completely. Pink slips may be flying come Friday or Monday.

So, what you are saying is expect "Persona and Sonic" free-to-play social game on iOS and Android in Famitsu on the 5th?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

oblomov posted:

So, what you are saying is expect "Persona and Sonic" free-to-play social game on iOS and Android in Famitsu on the 5th?

Yes, and it will receive 38/40 at minimum.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

oblomov posted:

Kanji Tatsumi get's added to Sega All Star Racing. He'll ride his bike.

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease make it happen, the more I think of it the better it sounds

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Of all Atlus series Persona is the one you have the least to worry about in terms of anyone making changes to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pureauthor posted:

Of all Atlus series Persona is the one you have the least to worry about in terms of anyone making changes to it.

Yeah, it's their best performer in the States, which means it'll still get localized. The question is just whether or not Atlus USA gets dissolved in favor of Sega's existing localization teams.