Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Thumbtacks posted:

Finally got a chance to play and holy poo poo it's overwhelming. There are so many things right away. What's this skill screen nonsense?

Is there like a chart or something that compares playstyles with these classes and wow? That might make picking my class thingy easier.

Well the templates are there to help you along, i would just pick one that looks good and follow it's path until you get to level 15 or so. You will have a better grasp on the game by then and you will be able to get several roles for cheap from your trainer. Roles are completely seperate builds that you can swap between when out of combat. The class forums on the rift boards are a good source for finding common leveling builds, and gchat will be able to help as well. Just remember the goon rule that the first response will be sarcastic, the 2nd response will be making GBS threads on the first idiot, and the 3rd response will be helpful.

E: Remember that roles are stupid cheap to reset, there isn't going to be a mistake that you can make that you can't easily undo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Thumbtacks posted:

Finally got a chance to play and holy poo poo it's overwhelming. There are so many things right away. What's this skill screen nonsense?

Is there like a chart or something that compares playstyles with these classes and wow? That might make picking my class thingy easier.

Generally there will be one or two "levelling specs" for your class, check here http://forums.riftgame.com/game-discussions/rift-guides-strategies/ and see which you would prefer to use. Not to say you have to use those builds; you shouldn't have any trouble killing anything prior to level 50, those builds just make it easier/est.

By the time you're level 50 you'll have 2-3 or more specs that you switch between depending on what you're doing (you can switch roles anytime you aren't in combat).

What class are you playing? We can give you more specific pointers from there. Every class can fill any role soon, but for now the holes are: warriors and rogues have no healing role, mages have no tank role, and clerics have no 'support' role. Sometime in the coming future those role-holes will be filled :dong: so it won't be a concern anymore.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Remember that roles are stupid cheap to reset, there isn't going to be a mistake that you can make that you can't easily undo.

Even at max level I think it's like one platinum to reset. Super cheap.

Thumbtacks posted:

Rogues and Warriors use combo points like Rogues in WoW. Rogues have 5cp and get a 1sec GCD. Warriors have 3cp. They both also work off of a 100pt energy bar that starts at full and recharges quickly.

Rogues have ranger-like builds as well as melee builds and their tank spec is very blinky and has plenty of cooldowns.

Warriors are mostly melee with one ranged spec and multiple tank trees to fool around with.

Cleric/Mages use mana like Priests/Mages/Locks/Paladins/etc in WoW. Mages also have a charge bar that works a little like Warrior rage from WoW where it fills up when you use spells and then other spells can use the charge to cast.

Several cleric/mage trees have additional resource mechanics built in such as Justicar (cleric tank) and Necromancer (mage pet class). These work with the tree's abilities.

To compare some specifics:
WoW.......RIFT
Fire Mage/ Destro Lock = Pyromancer (mage)/ Inquisitor (cleric); ranged, mostly ST, magic DPS
Ice Mage = Dominator (mage); lots of CC/debuffs and AOE, not so much the ST DPS. Great for PvP
Demo Lock = Elementalist (mage)/ Necromancer(mage); pet specs
Affliction Lock = Warlock (mage); More DOTs!
Shadow Priest = Chloromancer (mage); heal by attacking, but like an actual healer
Holy Priest/Holy Pally = Sentinel (cleric); direct, mostly ST, cast heals. Not used really in raids
Prot Pally = Justicar (cleric); Small AOE heals on party/raid when attacking, healing causes extra threat making cleric tanks the best(easiest) at AOE threat, much like Pally tanks were when I played WoW (launch-start of Cata)
Prot Warrior = Warrior tank specs/Rogue tanks; Rogues get blinks and good cooldowns, Warriors get...stuff.
Resto Druid/Resto Shaman = Warden(cleric); AOE heals and lots of HoTs.
Disc Priest = Purifier (cleric); Shields. Puri is mainly tank heals now.
Rogues = Rogue/Warrior melee DPS specs; Combo points and energy for resources, poke things fast and hard
Ret Pally = Shaman(cleric) Druid(cleric)/HArbinger (mage); melee DPS with a mana bar, druid also gets a pet. FCFS for most rotations afaik
Hunters = Marksmen (rogue)/ Ranger (rogue); Rangers get pets, MM do not. YOu will be using a raptor for DPS, you don't get to capture your own pets.

thats all I can think of atm.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That makes me think I should make a rogue...although I do like heavy armor. Hm.

Paragons dual wield, right? I played a rogue in WoW so I think i'll either go rogue or warrior here.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Warriors can either dual wield or use a 2-hander, it makes no difference.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Eltoasto posted:

Plus now we get to yell at people again for standing in the water rings GET OUT OF THE RINGS I NEED MY CHEEV.

And Kreczor will miss the one where we do it properly and will be yelling at people for MONTHS. It will be AMAZING.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Thumbtacks posted:

That makes me think I should make a rogue...although I do like heavy armor. Hm.

I'm a mage and I wear a dog head and robe, or pumpkin head and bikini.

Weapon aesthetics matter, but the wardrobe system can have you wearing anything pretty much anything you want as appearance.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Well, I made a Cleric. They seem pretty versatile...not really sure what I'll do, though. Name's Thumbtacks. Do I whisper someone, or what?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

So, um, I just got an email saying that I have 400 free credits to spend before November 1st, and I checked the RIFT webpage and ingame and it is indeed true and not a phishing attempt! :toot:

I also had some credits from before, due to previous subscription time or something, so I have 1390 credits in all. I have the storm legion souls already, so what should I get next? I play this game super casually and haven't really checked out the cash shop.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

CuddlyZombie posted:

So, um, I just got an email saying that I have 400 free credits to spend before November 1st, and I checked the RIFT webpage and ingame and it is indeed true and not a phishing attempt! :toot:

I also had some credits from before, due to previous subscription time or something, so I have 1390 credits in all. I have the storm legion souls already, so what should I get next? I play this game super casually and haven't really checked out the cash shop.

I got 400 credit, too. I had little over 2300 when I logged in. No clue where the rest came from. I never bought their credits or whatever they call them. I also got 300 bits or whatever in Defiance, too.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
What level are you and what do you do? I think the 150% mount is supposed to be the best value, but if you're still leveling through I could see building up a bunch of quests/carnages and getting an 80% xp boost to make things go faster, or a Patron pass if you're going to play a lot.

Thumbtacks posted:

Well, I made a Cleric. They seem pretty versatile...not really sure what I'll do, though. Name's Thumbtacks. Do I whisper someone, or what?
Someone should invite you and if you aren't around the invite goes to your mail.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

All of my characters are level 30 or lower, and I'm not really interested in powerlevelling stuff, nor do I want to get a patron pass since I won't have a huge chunk of time to make good use of the patron time.

As for a mount, I have a 110% mount due to loyalty, if I get another mount, or if I get dimension or costume stuff, will that be account-wide or per character.

I think getting some account-wide cosmetic stuff would be nice, but I'm not sure if a given item can be used more than once.

kruna
Jun 6, 2006
I missed the rapture.
Is anyone else having issues connecting to the log in server? I just started and played until it asked me to register and I did. Restarted the game but now I can't connect...wtf

edit; derp figured it out

kruna fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 26, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So what exactly does being f2p limit me to? So I get the expansion stuff?

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

So what exactly does being f2p limit me to? So I get the expansion stuff?

You can't sell on the auction house, which can be removed by buying 750 credits.
You don't have the SL souls, which means you lose out on a unique-ish role in raids with Defiler, since you have a cleric. It wouldn't stop you from being able to heal, tank, or dps just fine, though. I can't really comment on how big of an issue it would be for other classes.
If there are server queues, which I've never seen since I started playing a month or so after it went f2p, you'd be lower priority?
There may be a limit on how much platinum you can have.

That's really the only gameplay limitations with being strictly f2p, and for around 20 bucks you can fix both of them with one account-wide purchase.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
omg i must have that squirrel mount, regulos trove box? Wait at that price it should be a golden squirrel :/

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 26, 2013

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FunkyFlashman posted:

omg i must have that squirrel mount, regulos trove box? Wait at that price it should be a golden squirrel :/

I blew all my free credits on trying to get it. I don't even play this game but OMG unique mount!!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Rift is back on Steam! :toot:

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

CuddlyZombie posted:

I have the storm legion souls already, so what should I get next? I play this game super casually and haven't really checked out the cash shop.

The most efficient use of credits, if you don't have one yet, is a level 60 150% speed mount. Mounts purchased are per-character, but you can buy it now and bank it for later. Mounts are purchasable ingame for 1000 platinum too.

edit

anthonypants posted:

Rift is back on Steam! :toot:

Steam wallet is supported in the cash shop, used it last night. There is a wierd 10-20 second delay after you authorize through steam, and there is no 'waiting' or 'processing' box so at first I thought it didn't work, just be patient it will go through.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 26, 2013

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Just a reminder, if anyone missed the live stream on Friday, there will be new versions, or unique new mounts that will be selling this Monday through Wednesday only during specific times. They mentioned it would be 4 hours of availability when they go on the store. Trion did not say what times but keep an eye open. They showed a new version of the Ki Rin blue mount during the live broadcast.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Their model of limited acccess and limited time events and items you can get only at very specific moments really piss me off. But this 4 hours mount thing is the peak of this lol. This is frustrating trion, not fun. I am waiting now for like 4months for a chance to get my hands on a "prize ticket" for the funky costumes. Lame

edit, Just had an idea, posting it and forgetting it right away: First the dimension tab needs a section called "functional elements"(the other section would be called "dress up barbie house who-the-gently caress-would-release-this-without-real-purpose). 2nd) i want to built a race track in my dimension. 3rd) mounts now have a 2nd purpose.4th) if paying community shows interest expand into race series, timesink to make mounts better for that etc etc. One can ... pipe dream.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 26, 2013

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

FunkyFlashman posted:

Their model of limited acccess and limited time events and items you can get only at very specific moments really piss me off. But this 4 hours mount thing is the peak of this lol. This is frustrating trion, not fun. I am waiting now for like 4months for a chance to get my hands on a "prize ticket" for the funky costumes. Lame

Yeah I don't quite get how this limited time/quantity model is good for them in the long run, it automatically excludes "everybody not online" from being potential customers for the stuff they are offering. (edit: if you're not online you can't buy anything from the cash store technically but what I mean is anyone not logging on during the time window/max quantity sold window literally cannot be spending money on the short-term items offered)

Not even having the choice of whether you want to spend :10bux: on a shiny new toy cause you're at work or doing family stuff or you don't subscribe to every social network feed they announce this stuff on and happen to watch 3 episodes of your favorite TV show instead of being online, seems kinda shortsighted of them.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 26, 2013

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Daerc posted:

And Kreczor will miss the one where we do it properly and will be yelling at people for MONTHS. It will be AMAZING.

gently caress.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?
Regarding the limited time stuff, I have to say I don't mind it too terribly much. It puts a bit of uniqueness in a sea of the same... I prefer the limited quantity items more, rather than limited time window. They had been posting a limited offer item at the same time every Thursday at 8pm server, this included at one point the ruby ki rin and shadow hellbug. :10bux:

Watch this comment jinx me and miss the limited time offers because of school.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
If the limited time stuff is going to be BoP it's really silly, if it is BoE it makes a ton more sense.
I wish they'd release data on how their sales go, because they're trying a lot of different stuff.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I would hope they make the window longer than 4hrs. 24hrs would be minimum what with work schedules and time zone differences keeping many people from being on at the right time. They really do limit their number of sales that way.

That said it may be that the limited time forces people to make hasty decisions about buying the items and they are hoping to "trick" people into buying them without thinking or saying "meh, I'll just get one later". The limited window also means it is more rare thus increasing the epeen factor and pushing more people into buy territory instead of thinking "meh not as cool and rare as this one I already got". If they time the sales right they could actually get more people to buy them and even buy multiples than if it was a permanent store item.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Machai posted:

I would hope they make the window longer than 4hrs. 24hrs would be minimum what with work schedules and time zone differences keeping many people from being on at the right time. They really do limit their number of sales that way.

That said it may be that the limited time forces people to make hasty decisions about buying the items and they are hoping to "trick" people into buying them without thinking or saying "meh, I'll just get one later". The limited window also means it is more rare thus increasing the epeen factor and pushing more people into buy territory instead of thinking "meh not as cool and rare as this one I already got". If they time the sales right they could actually get more people to buy them and even buy multiples than if it was a permanent store item.

What had a 4hr window?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

deimos posted:

What had a 4hr window?

Nothing, yet. But they are doing a few 4 hour availability windows next week.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

deimos posted:

What had a 4hr window?

Wasn't there a red box only on sale for 2 hours? I know there was that mount where it was only up on the shop until 200 sold.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have to say, I love the way this game takes advantage of the taskbar. You can alt-tab while it loads and it will let you know when it's loaded.

Is there a way to make Cabalist work for soloing? Seems like you'll get the poo poo kicked out of you because there doesn't seem to be much sustain...perhaps like a Druid or Justicar hybrid? Seems like there are some fun options here.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Is there a way to make Cabalist work for soloing? Seems like you'll get the poo poo kicked out of you because there doesn't seem to be much sustain...perhaps like a Druid or Justicar hybrid? Seems like there are some fun options here.

Not really. It can be a good secondary soul mixed with Defiler for AOE farming. Pop your beacon and then run around dotting guys up. Once they are all grouped around the beacon, AOE 'til dead.

As a primary soul it lacks good ST and survivability. It has some AOE stuns/interrupts but they only last a few seconds and the only real healing is fairly small and has a long CD.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

I have to say, I love the way this game takes advantage of the taskbar. You can alt-tab while it loads and it will let you know when it's loaded.

Cab-Defiler is the way to go for soloing aoe mobs otherwise druid or inquisitor make more sense.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Zoness posted:

Cab-Defiler is the way to go for soloing aoe mobs otherwise druid or inquisitor make more sense.

I made like a cab/inq/sent combo that's working pretty well...decent healing and the AoEs work well with the dots.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure I'm enjoying it. I want to try other classes but I don't know which....

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I had played Rift a little when it first came out and am now thinking about giving it a new try.

I had 4 relatively low level characters and apparently they are all on a trial server now for some reason. I would like to transfer them to goonguild server but it is not in the list of servers that I can transfer too.

Those characters were probably created on a EU server if that matters.

Is there any chance that I could transfer them to the right server or should I just roll new ones ? The highest level is 18 so I guess that would not take too long.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Deepwood is a us server. Zaviel is where a SMALL group of eu goons play.

Reroll on US or switch to zaviel.

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
Is there an actual dedicated small goon guild on Zaviel, or is it just if we happen to randomly meet and guess we are int he compnay of goons?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Thumbtacks posted:

I made like a cab/inq/sent combo that's working pretty well...decent healing and the AoEs work well with the dots.
Investing into a healing soul for soloing is usually a bad idea. All of the damage souls have abilities or talents that provide steady healing (Glory of the Chosen, Contempt) or a lot of sudden survivability (Judicial Privilege, Wind Walk, Shadow Breach, Ravaging Darkness), and you can change one of your soul choices to Justicar to get Salvation too. Druid is the go-to soul for lazy leveling on Clerics because your pet will either tank everything for you, heal you, or crap out a bunch of effortless AoE damage.

If you're willing to sink the money into SL souls, Defiler is pretty much PvE easy mode for clerics though. They'd be PvE easy mode if they only had Beacon of Despair or Explosive Growth, but they have both, so there's pretty much no reason to ever die on one.

quote:

That being said, I'm not entirely sure I'm enjoying it. I want to try other classes but I don't know which....
Rogue is probably the most well-rounded class at the moment. Mage has a lot of stuff too, but is generally harder to play.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 27, 2013

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

TheCrushinator posted:

Is there an actual dedicated small goon guild on Zaviel, or is it just if we happen to randomly meet and guess we are int he compnay of goons?

I actually switched to Gelidra after the AH on Zaviel took a poo poo. As far as I am aware, the EU goons are scattered far and wide.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Since Rift is (back) on steam now, it also has steam trading cards, of which I just sold a greenscale one for $1.90; when my other ones sell I'll have enough to buy some credits with steam wallet. There are almost no rift cards up for sale right now so get selling if you're going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Apparently there is a limited quantity costume bundle. The Storm Assassin's Bundle, which looks vaguely sort of like Storm Shadow from GI Joe? I dunno. Some people are into that, there are 59 remaining to be purchased on Deepwood from the looks of it.

• Locked thread