Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Step 1. Install WESP patch

Step 2. Run on modern systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

HondaCivet posted:

As a Dark Souls fan who actually bothered to complete Blight Town once, I think I know what you mean by not robbing myself of the full experience even if it's painful. :v:

Also I fixed my graphics if anyone cares. Maybe it would be a good idea to put something in the OP about how to get this game to run on modern systems? If there's interest I could put something together since it's all fresh in my mind right now.

I think I'd like this, because even after installing the WESP patch I've had stuttering issues and some of the same graphics problems. How'd you do it?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

J.A.B.C. posted:

I think I'd like this, because even after installing the WESP patch I've had stuttering issues and some of the same graphics problems. How'd you do it?

Looks like someone on the Steam forums has already done a good summary of the most common problems and fixes. This is pretty much what I did. It wouldn't work for me at all until I followed these instructions.

This link talks about where some of these issues are coming from and how to fix them. Part 6 describes how to fix the ugly textures thing. This post describes it in more detail for those of us who haven't edited a DLL before (me).

I played for a couple hours just now and everything worked pretty great. Speaking of which, you can apparently piss off the cops. What is this, GTA? :mad:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh man, thread necromancy at its finest! If anyone still cares: yes, I made certain I was looking for Fat Larry at both his old and new locations, he wasn't at either of them. Something simply went screwy in the Wesp+ install and he refused to load properly. :shrug:

Also, you'd be surprised how many character build problems a flamethrower and a +fuel bind can fix.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Thread Necromancy? Did somebody mod in Giovanni PCs?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Green Crayons posted:

For the record, you should pick either firearms or melee. As someone already mentioned, firearms are weaker when you first start off, but then become the best route for loving poo poo up later on in the game. For example, I recall a particular boss near the end of the game that was absolutely horrible even with maxed/nearly maxed melee, but handling the situation with firearms was a cinch.

The Kuei-Jin woman? She wasn't really hard, she was just very tedious.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
First time I played through the game, I think I was playing a melee character but I managed to break that boss by staying in a place where she couldn't attack me and I decided to bring out the guns.

I ended up using literally all my ammo and still had to go and finish things in melee combat.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Neurosis posted:

The Kuei-Jin woman? She wasn't really hard, she was just very tedious.
Yup. It was a long time ago, so the only real thing I remember is that with melee, you had to get up close and there was some attack that could completely obliterate you if you were up close.

All I know is that it was very frustrating.

grancheater posted:

First time I played through the game, I think I was playing a melee character but I managed to break that boss by staying in a place where she couldn't attack me and I decided to bring out the guns.

I ended up using literally all my ammo and still had to go and finish things in melee combat.
Hah, yup. That's what I ended up doing myself to get past that fight.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you can make sure to get the flamethrower, it'll eat like 25 or 50% of her health in a couple of seconds before it runs out of fuel.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

EDIT TWO: Nevermind again, it isn't working again.

Tried downloading the CQM, and either I get a message saying there are no mirrors, or the other download sites won't let 7zip open the file once it's done downloading.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 26, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

You could always try CheatEngine.

- Launch it, then the game and load your save.
- Note your current balance, alt-tab.
- Open Process > Choose the game .exe.
- Enter the balance under Value, click First Scan.
- If more than one address shows up (likely), spend some money, then enter the new balance and click Next Scan. Do this until you have only one address.
- Right-click > Add Selected Address to the Address List.
- Right-click on that > Change Record > Value > Enter new balance.
- Enjoy your newfound wealth.

Yeah I tried cheatengine a while back, I couldn't find poo poo. Eventually what I did was just give myself blood packs via console, sell blood packs, acquire loot.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure after that boss fight, you go back to the cab and are given the chance to run back to town and shop before heading to the next bit. So there's nothing stopping you from running through that fight with your flamethrower, heading back and buying more fuel before the next.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
That fight was a nightmare for me because i missed a vital ammo stash or 2 on my first playthrough of the game so when i got to her i had absolutely nothing to shoot because i missed the crossbow on top of all the bullets and shells. Actually now i think on it this was 1.2 and the crossbow might not have been even in the game or a crapshoot if you found it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Ok, so finally downloaded the fan patch, started a new game, and...nothing. No changes.

So, I perform a clean install, re-apply the patch, and get the 15mb warning. I try to download the fix for that, but the links are all out of date. So I find how to run it in compatability mode.

I get the same blurry effects over everything, my widescreen is gone, and the fan patch still doesn't work on the clean install.

Now, after I quit out of the game, the music is still playing, though there's no service running in Task manager tied to the game. Even restarting the game just has the music loop over the intro music.

I'm going to restart my computer and try this again. Is there a way we can get these patches on one place that they can be downloaded from? I've spent the last day trying to find a valid download link, and now I can't even find the regular gold patch link, because scrolls.de doesn't have it anymore.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

You want the Wesp5 patches, not the Gold ones. There are current links to it in the OP of this thread. Also make sure you start the game up once after install but before using the patch. Besides that just follow the Steam thread directions and don't forget to run everything as administrator.

Another thing to try: turn off UAC. I'm on my phone but you should be able to find directions easily if you Google a bit.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Make sure the patch installer is pointing to the correct folder. In my experience it had trouble finding my Steam version install.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
:siren: :siren: :siren: Steam Sale :siren: :siren: :siren:

Reminder that this is on sale for $5 again, so if for some retarded reason you don't have it already, you can shamefully remedy that oversight and stop being a horrible person. Go go go!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, this really is one of those rare, insanely great games that holds up even after playing through it many times.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Reminder that the devs no longer get any money from sales of this, so if you're going to buy it then do it now considering that the game never goes on sale except for like 1 loving time a year.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Reminder that the devs no longer get any money from sales of this, so if you're going to buy it then do it now considering that the game never goes on sale except for like 1 loving time a year.

:smith: Where did most of them end up? Or are they so scattered that we'll never get anything like this again?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

HondaCivet posted:

:smith: Where did most of them end up? Or are they so scattered that we'll never get anything like this again?

Troika was one of the houses that formed after Black Isle (of Fallout and Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment fame) imploded. A lot of them have ended up at Obsidian.

BlameKitten
Nov 19, 2003

If I dig out my dusty actual copy of this game, is it possible to install it and update it on Windows 8 pretty easily?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Athenry posted:

Troika was one of the houses that formed after Black Isle (of Fallout and Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment fame) imploded. A lot of them have ended up at Obsidian.

And sadly Obsidian seems to not be doing too great, all things considered.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Fuzz posted:

That South Park game is going to sell absurd amounts of copies.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They had some nasty layoffs a little while back (Around the time their Aliens RPG got cancelled?), but I kinda get the impression they're fairly stable these days. South Park has a publisher, PE's fundraising was a major success, and they've even put up a few job listings in the last few days. Granted it's only speculative on my part, but I think/hope they're doing alright.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Fuzz posted:

I'm curious about this as I'm reading a bunch on their Kick Starter game and I didn't get that vibe at all. But then again I'm pretty in the dark.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

That South Park game is going to sell absurd amounts of copies.

Hopefully they can get it done sell it off to whatever corner of society actually wants to play it and then we can all just pretend that it never ever happened and they can get back to making other games.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Goddamn, this patch is going to take a literal month to download. Is this too many people buying the game at once?

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

MoreLikeTen posted:

Goddamn, this patch is going to take a literal month to download. Is this too many people buying the game at once?

Yeah I'm getting estimated 4-6 hour download. Is there are mirror for it or is Weird German Fileplanet the only way?

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I installed the Clan Quest mod for my next playthrough and made sure to follow all the directions, including installing it to the \Vampire sub-directory. However, the game isn't launching and I'm getting an error saying "Less than 15MB". Does anyone know if I messed up or what's wrong?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

RickDaedalus posted:

I installed the Clan Quest mod for my next playthrough and made sure to follow all the directions, including installing it to the \Vampire sub-directory. However, the game isn't launching and I'm getting an error saying "Less than 15MB". Does anyone know if I messed up or what's wrong?

Read my post at the top of the page. You should probably uninstall everything and start over following those directions.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
I feel like a bit of a dork for not reading this thread before playing the game. I'm super excited for a second run through it though, knowing what all the clans have now. I have to admit this is easily my favorite Halloween-ish game I've played this year.

Nothing like eating craisens and watching my guy vomit after drinking peasant blood.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Read my post at the top of the page. You should probably uninstall everything and start over following those directions.

This is what I had to do to get it to work.

Also, make sure to read very carefully where it is going, because it will create a 'steam' folder to dump all that stuff into if you have your actual folder on a different partition, like I did with mine.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Has anyone played the Final Nights mod? Wanted to know if it's a decent experience or not since i just finished my CE playthroughs and still wanted some more vtm D:

Edit: Has no one really tried The Final Nights in a complete playthrough? :<

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 3, 2013

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I got the game to launch by patching the engine.dll but, the Clan Quest logo is missing from the main menu, meaning it's not installed properly.

I have no idea where I went wrong. I followed the instructions properly. I made a clean install, launched the game once, ran the installer, and installed to the \Vampire sub-directory. It should have worked. I even did another clean install, except I installed it to the root directory as per the instructions of the mod author for version 3.0.

I'm really at a loss. I got the texture bug and I know how to fix it but, I haven't actually gotten around to it. Could that be causing a problem?

Edit: Tried version 2.1 but, that didn't work either. I can get the wesp patch to work fine all on it's own but, the CQM refuses to install properly.

Ugh, gently caress this poo poo. I'll play something else.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 2, 2013

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Why would anyone get a different skin for the female Gangrel? BITCH shirt is too good.

EDIT: NVM skin mod idea:

But on the front. And the back.

Sarkozymandias fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 2, 2013

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

First I stumble across Gimble's Prosthetics, then I head over to the Ocean House Hotel . . . :magical: aaaaugh gently caress this game. Worst game. I hope the whole game isn't scary like this because I'm a big baby about scary games.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HondaCivet posted:

First I stumble across Gimble's Prosthetics, then I head over to the Ocean House Hotel . . . :magical: aaaaugh gently caress this game. Worst game. I hope the whole game isn't scary like this because I'm a big baby about scary games.

Nah. There's an abandoned hospital and a park that might make you twitch at corners later on, but the focus of the game as a whole is not horror… or at least not that kind of horror.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

That freakin' hotel, man...

Though I (personally) don't think there's anything worse than Ocean House, there are a couple of places that get the spookometer ticking past that part. You still have three more neighborhoods and a bunch more 'dungeons' to go, so just buckle up and enjoy.

Also, there's a special, hard to find item behind the couch in one of the rooms on the second floor.

What clan are you playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Bloodlines takes a rather different approach to horror in that there's usually not some big bad monster lurking in the shadows: You're that big bad monster, and everyone you know is aswell.

The horror comes from the various ways that various factions tend to do things. One group in particular is rather grotesque (and it's not the nosferatu, surprisingly)

• Locked thread