Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Is this load out hilariously mean, or would it be too easily counterable?

Shuckle @ Binding Band
Contrary
-Infestation
-Toxic
-Rest
-Shell Smash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HoneyBoy posted:

I wasn't, it isn't.

Does anybody know how to get 6 stars in the Battle Insititute? I went 5 for 5 and still only got 5 stars, would I have had to win every fight without having any of my dudes faint? I know there was a requirement like that in the PWT last Gen for getting more BP.

I'm not sure whether it marks you using a similar scheme to the Battle Institute in Unova, but basically: you want to win all your battles, you want as few as possible of your mons to faint and you want them to have as much HP left after each battle as possible (but status conditions don't matter), and you want to win each battle in as few turns as possible. You get a little bonus every time you switch, and you get bonuses for using super-effective moves and for having the opponent use ineffective moves on you. I think it was easier to get high scores in Doubles, too.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I found two great pictures on Reddit about growing berries. Apparently at the Juice shoppe you can create something called a Perilous Soup that resets EVs. It's a hassle to get it (you basically need every mutated berry to do so) but having a reliable way of resetting EVs will be much easier than depending on the RNG to give you a reset bag. The other picture is just a summary:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Is this load out hilariously mean, or would it be too easily counterable?

Shuckle @ Binding Band
Contrary
-Infestation
-Toxic
-Rest
-Shell Smash

That's a very good build for a Shuckle, in fact, but you may want to consider Leftovers as an alternative to Binding Band, as that way you'll be more likely to survive without Resting if the enemy hits you with Taunt followed by Toxic or a burn. In some cases, a Rocky Helmet might be better than a Binding Band, because if the opponent uses Rapid Spin to break free of Infestation, they'll take recoil damage. It depends on what kind of opponent you expect to be facing.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So did you guys notice that there is a patch out for the game that should fix saving in Luminose?

It's been posted a few times, but it's going pretty unreported, speaking generally, for as much as everyone complained about it.

I'm personally really glad they fixed the GTS issues with the patch. I was really hoping they'd do that in the same update, but didn't expect it, because it's Nintendo we're talking about.

Hot Pants Jesus
Mar 8, 2013
Hey. I was wondering if anyone could help me trade my four Power items attached to a couple of Pokemon from my Y Version to my X Version. Roommate's asleep and I need someone to help. Anyone willing to help?

FC: 0490-4795-8547
X IGN: Jace
Y IGN: Rasha

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
So, I think this is a comprehensive list of berries that can currently be obtained in the game:

Status-healing berries (7): Aspear, Cheri, Chesto, Lum, Pecha, Persim, Rawst
HP- and PP-healing berries (3): Leppa, Oran, Sitrus
Rubbish berries that restore HP but may confuse (5): Aguav, Figy, Iapapa, Mago, Wiki
Type-damage-reducing berries (18): Babiri, Charti, Chilan, Chople, Coba, Colbur, Haban, Kasib, Kebia, Occa, Passho, Payapa, Rindo, Roseli, Shuca, Tanga, Wacan, Yache
EV-reducing berries (6): Grepa, Hondew, Kelpsy, Pomeg, Qualot, Tamato
From the Battle Maison (1 or 2): Leichi (probably Starf as well, going by the similarity to the circumstances in which Leichi berries are obtained from the Battle Subway)
New berries, function unknown (2): Kee, Maranga

Total 37 or 38

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

The Kee and Maranga Berries raise Def/SpD when the holder is hit by a physical/special attack. It's been up for a couple days, but Serebii didn't exactly trumpet it and nobody outside of the small community who play Doubles cares.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hammerite posted:

So, I think this is a comprehensive list of berries that can currently be obtained in the game:

Rubbish berries that restore HP but may confuse (5): Aguav, Figy, Iapapa, Mago, Wiki
Type-damage-reducing berries (18): Babiri, Charti, Chilan, Chople, Coba, Colbur, Haban, Kasib, Kebia, Occa, Passho, Payapa, Rindo, Roseli, Shuca, Tanga, Wacan, Yache
From the Battle Maison (1 or 2): Leichi (probably Starf as well, going by the similarity to the circumstances in which Leichi berries are obtained from the Battle Subway)

Total 37 or 38
Kee Berry If held by a Pokémon, this Berry will increase the Pokémon's Defense stat when hit by a physical attack

Maranga Berry If held by a Pokémon, this Berry will increase the Pokémon's Sp. Defense stat when hit by a special attack

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/kee-maranga-berry.3490665/

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Hammerite posted:

Total 37 or 38

Oh god, I only found out about the berries you can obtain in battle. I'm going to go nuts getting all of those PLUS doing all the mutated ones :smithicide:

At least It'll give me something to do while trying to get this goddamn shiny torchic.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Nevileen posted:

Oh god, I only found out about the berries you can obtain in battle. I'm going to go nuts getting all of those PLUS doing all the mutated ones :smithicide:

At least It'll give me something to do while trying to get this goddamn shiny torchic.

I've got all of them at this point. Still have to wait for some more to grow, of course. If you like, I can trade you the ones you don't have in a few days. If you're breeding Torchic, you could give me some of your rejects in return.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

nerdbot posted:

It's been posted a few times, but it's going pretty unreported, speaking generally, for as much as everyone complained about it.

I'm personally really glad they fixed the GTS issues with the patch. I was really hoping they'd do that in the same update, but didn't expect it, because it's Nintendo we're talking about.

Yeah I'm really impressed with the online stuff for this game. PGL is great, they've already put out an actual patch for the game, and the in-game online functionality is good. It's distinctly un-nintendo.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Hammerite posted:

I've got all of them at this point. Still have to wait for some more to grow, of course. If you like, I can trade you the ones you don't have in a few days. If you're breeding Torchic, you could give me some of your rejects in return.

Aaah, I actually wanna do them all myself. It's a weird sort of pride and I like harvest moon-ish stuff but you're more than welcome to take some of these fire chicks-I almost have two boxes full and I'm releasing all the blaze torchics.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I dunno if I'm just lucky, still fighting the lower ranks, or my team is really good, but Pokemon Showdown may have just given me a pretty good team for online battles!

PeterSparker (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Hidden Power [Fire]
My lead with guaranteed Sticky Web. He held his own against Tyranitar, no less, and survived a whole match with 1 HP remaining due to his speed, Thunder, and just generally being a pain.

FPSDoug (Clawitzer) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 12 Spd
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Aura Sphere
A Special sweeper. I haven't seen TOO much action from him, but he took out Gengar and Charizard pretty effectively.

Genwun (Charizard) (F) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
Her first match, she managed to rip through Mega-Kazam, Tyrantrum (with an unlucky Dragon Tail miss), Aegislash, and ALMOST Greninja. I'd say 3 and a half for one physical sweeper is a great trade off. Welcome to OU, Charizard.

Pinky (Crobat) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
My spinner and taunter. Completely walled a Blissey who could only Flamethrower. Brave Bird killed it, but it took out Blissey which crippled his teams status.

Ironprick (Ferrothorn)
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
One of the few OU pokemon from gen 5 that I loved after using him in battle. I didn't like him at first, but his amazing bulk and not-insignificant ability to hit things pretty hard is amazing.

Fatty DingDong (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
My cleric. She did her job admirably. Badly poisoned a Gyarados, healed Pinky's burn, walled the opposing Blissey as it Flamethrower'd ineffectively...beautifully done!
Backup is Sylveon, since I dunno if Blissey is available yet. But when she is...dayumn.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That Galvantula name rules.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

McDragon posted:

That Galvantula name rules.

It just came to me when I was going to give it the still punny normal name and I am so proud of it.

And he's also a hell of an opener.

Charizard X is a mean opener, too.
"Hmm. I'll set up rocks so Charizard can't get out!"
"SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER."

:allears: Pokemon is the best you guys.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I still don't understand what to look for when synergising a team. I want a physical sweeper, special sweeper, lead, wall, tank/cleric, mix sweeper / spinner? This is the general way a team should be laid out right?

What do you look for when building a team? I see it mentioned on the net as 'build a core' but no explanations. Particularly in the Nintendo style battles of the 2/4 doubles. I know alot of you duders take the pokemons you like the look or idea of.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So anyone got a team suggestion for stomping over the battle maison? Back with the PWT I used a politoed/dragonite/kingdra team but even that was hard pressed to win every match (Rotation, world leaders) and to get the berry prizes looks like you need a lot of consecutive wins.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The Battle Masion seems a lot more erratic than the old Battle Subway/Tower/whatever. At the very least it doesn't seem to gradually scale up in the same manner. My current streak (of 30) ran into, in the second battle, a Multiscale Dragon Dance Dragonite that about wrecked my whole team, and in the immediate next fight a Slaking just about did the same. Since then I've never had nearly so close a call.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Red Herring posted:

I still don't understand what to look for when synergising a team. I want a physical sweeper, special sweeper, lead, wall, tank/cleric, mix sweeper / spinner? This is the general way a team should be laid out right?

What do you look for when building a team? I see it mentioned on the net as 'build a core' but no explanations. Particularly in the Nintendo style battles of the 2/4 doubles. I know alot of you duders take the pokemons you like the look or idea of.

A core is basically two Pokemon that complement each other really well and are kind of tough to deal with until you take one out. A good one would be Jellicent and Ferrothorn (I remember seeing this a lot in early Gen v battle simulators), they cover each others weaknesses and can spread status or hit hard against their respective type advantages. One that worked out well for me back in Gen IV was Umbreon and Slowbro, one being a special wall and the other a physical wall, they covered each others weaknesses and added to each others longevity. The team I used in Gen V had a 3-part core that consisted of Jellicent, Scizor and Hydreigon. Hydreigon was more of a mixed attacker/scout, Jellicent was a special wall strictly for spreading burn/poison, and Scizor was a bulky Swords Dance sweeper. Jellicent's weakness to Electric was covered by Hydreigon, as was its weakness to Dark and Ghost, Grass weakness was covered by Scizor. Scizor's Fire weakness was covered by Jellicent and Hydreigon. Hydreigon's Bug and Fighting weakness was covered by Jellicent, Ice and Dragon covered by Scizor. It did require a lot of switching but prediction is like 75% of the meta-game anyway.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 26, 2013

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

HoneyBoy posted:

A core is basically two Pokemon that complement each other really well and are kind of tough to deal with until you take one out. A good one would be Jellicent and Ferrothorn (I remember seeing this a lot in early Gen v battle simulators), they cover each others weaknesses

They don't cover all each others' weaknesses any more, since Steel no longer resists Ghost or Dark.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just Wonder Traded an Adamant Male Ralts for a Larvitar. I think we both got a good deal there.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

HoneyBoy posted:

A core is basically two Pokemon that complement each other really well and are kind of tough to deal with until you take one out. A good one would be Jellicent and Ferrothorn (I remember seeing this a lot in early Gen v battle simulators), they cover each others weaknesses and can spread status or hit hard against their respective type advantages. One that worked out well for me back in Gen IV was Umbreon and Slowbro, one being a special wall and the other a physical wall, they covered each others weaknesses and added to each others longevity. The team I used in Gen V had a 3-part core that consisted of Jellicent, Scizor and Hydreigon. Hydreigon was more of a mixed attacker/scout, Jellicent was a special wall strictly for spreading burn/poison, and Scizor was a bulky Swords Dance sweeper. Jellicent's weakness to Electric was covered by Hydreigon, as was its weakness to Dark and Ghost, Grass weakness was covered by Scizor. Scizor's Fire weakness was covered by Jellicent and Hydreigon. Hydreigon's Bug and Fighting weakness was covered by Jellicent, Ice and Dragon covered by Scizor. It did require a lot of switching but prediction is like 75% of the meta-game anyway.

Thanks. Once you've built your core, then you look at things for situations and setups? Statuses and the like?

Scyther / Scizor / Kabutops have always been my favourite collection of pokemon, so for a core would I take then for example Scizor / Azumarill? Or like a Kabutops / Volcarona? Should the core vary in Offence / Defence or can they both be Offence / Offence?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I need some help finalizing my planned in-game team. So far I've got Delphox, Lucario, Crobat, and Sylveon in mind-- but I still need a water-type and something else to round it all out. Any ideas?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I need some help finalizing my planned in-game team. So far I've got Delphox, Lucario, Crobat, and Sylveon in mind-- but I still need a water-type and something else to round it all out. Any ideas?

If it's an in-game team it really, really doesn't matter man. Go nuts. Grab an Azumarill or something.

I think XY have by far the most absurdly easy storyline of any Pokemon yet, and that's saying something.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Lapras and Aegislash could do well for you.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

If it's an in-game team it really, really doesn't matter man.
Some people like planning their team beforehand. :colbert:

But yeah, most everything you can find not called Luvdisc is viable. I like Barbaracle. Going to use it when I play through X for the remaining Mega Stones I don't have in Y.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Red Herring posted:

Thanks. Once you've built your core, then you look at things for situations and setups? Statuses and the like?

Scyther / Scizor / Kabutops have always been my favourite collection of pokemon, so for a core would I take then for example Scizor / Azumarill? Or like a Kabutops / Volcarona? Should the core vary in Offence / Defence or can they both be Offence / Offence?

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I did see this thread on Smogon where people are discussing their ideas for new offensive and defensive cores: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-cores.3490151/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
About 3 boxes full of Elekids. 0 shinies.

Will try again tomorrow.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Is the only way for me to have a random 6v6 match to challenge passerbyers? I tried the battle spot but that seems to be all 3v3

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Found a shiny Spritzee in a friend safari! Not sure if I'll ever use it, but that's cool.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Type balance is for scrubs. Two dark types? Two dragons? Sure, why not! My levels were around that of the E4, but none of them were a challenge except the dragon lady. All of these guys pulled their weight pretty well - the worst was Talonflame, but that's mostly because his best attacks involve heavy recoil.

Now to get on to completing the Kalos regional Pokedexes...oh, who am I kidding. I'm going to collect all the clothes before I get all the Pokemon. Videogame dressup is too addictive. :negative:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 26, 2013

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Some of my mons were level 90 by the time I got to the champion, so yeah, not a whole lot of difficulty to be had by the endgame. None of them have particularly great IVs (Florges is the only one with a perfect IV, in Speed), so maybe once they hit 100 I'll throw 'em into Wonder Trade for some lucky player to get.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Thuryl posted:

Some of my mons were level 90 by the time I got to the champion, so yeah, not a whole lot of difficulty to be had by the endgame. None of them have particularly great IVs (Florges is the only one with a perfect IV, in Speed), so maybe once they hit 100 I'll throw 'em into Wonder Trade for some lucky player to get.
And that's why you turn of EXP All.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Thuryl posted:

Some of my mons were level 90 by the time I got to the champion,

What the gently caress were you doing?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Leper Colon V posted:

And that's why you turn of EXP All.
Seriously. The EXP all is effectively giving you 3.5x more experience from each fight, what did you expect? Between that and the EXP boost from Pokemon Amie, the game basically built in difficulty levels by letting you choose how much free EXP to get. (Although the Amie boost isn't as bad; my guys kept pace with AI Pokes even with that bonus.)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I was curious to see how high they'd level up just by playing normally, sticking with the same team through the whole game, and fighting every trainer along the way while keeping EXP Share active. Turns out, pretty high.

I raised all their Pokemon-Amie affection ranks to at least 3 or 4 soon after getting them, and used the EXP O-Power on myself before gym leaders and other places with lots of trainer fights, so they were also getting some XP boosts from that. I didn't have to do any deliberate grinding or anything.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Seriously. The EXP all is effectively giving you 3.5x more experience from each fight, what did you expect? Between that and the EXP boost from Pokemon Amie, the game basically built in difficulty levels by letting you choose how much free EXP to get. (Although the Amie boost isn't as bad; my guys kept pace with AI Pokes even with that bonus.)

Yeah the Amie boost does hardly anything. I turned off the Exp. Share almost as soon as I got it, and by the end of the game my whole team was at max affection and still ended up ten levels below the champion's Pokemon.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I have renamed my Ludicolo to Randy Orton, because he is the Legendary Killer. I am dropping Xerneas and Mewtwo left and right with Rain Dance, Leech Seed, Toxic, and Protect, with Leftovers and Rain Dish and maxed out HP EVs. I only wish I could hear the cries of frustration and taste the saltiness of the tears as I wreck legendary sweepers with impunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The guy picked and used Amaura, you can't really make the game much harder than that.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you could take Tyranitrum (Or whatever it's called, that thing has the worst name ever) and solo the entire game.

• Locked thread