Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

At this rate the shocking twist will be that the girl in the OP is a boy.
They stole that shocking twist from Phi Brain. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, those weren't all Zeon cosplayers in that bar. One of them was Arbeo Pippinden.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fred is on posted:

The trend so far seems to be to showcase a lot of existing mobile suits, but introduce one BF-original robot per episode. This episode had two, I guess, but one was an semi-upgrade while the other didn't really do anything yet.

I'm glad Sei point-blank asked Reiji what his deal was at the beginning of the episode, rather than dance around it for half the series. Reiji is obviously not telling the whole story (if it's even close to the truth) but at least the question has been put on the backburner because he doesn't want to tell, rather than because Sei decided not to worry about it for some anime reason.

The "Are there any for girls?" line at the end made me roll my eyes a bit, because obviously the dozens of models the camera was panning across were for boyz only. Of course, this show is a combination of Gundam fanservice and safe-as-hell hobby shounen, so I'm not holding my breath for stereotype-defying portrayals of female characters. At least it's not AGE, I guess.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - Better than AGE!

Overall I'm really impressed with the quality of writing overall in Build Fighters. The characterization is excellent and while they've acknowledged some of the standard tropes, they also avoid them like you mentioned. A good comparison is the agent Coleson 'mystery' from agents of shield. We know that something is up in both cases, but here they acknowledge that its there, but that the character involved just refuses to answer honestly.

I do think you need to give it more credit for the "Are there any for girls" line at the end. To me the whole thing seemed very in character considering what we know of Kousaka. She seems to be completely new to the idea of Gunpla, and thus far I don't think she's even seen another female Gunpla player, which isn't really all the surprising. Add to that her personal tastes which seems to trend very feminine (She paints flowers, wears pink everything outside of school), and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her ask if there were Gunpla for girls.

I actually really like that last scene, because I view it as her deciding that she wants to go buy Gunpla, but being so shy about it that she brings her little brother along as an excuse.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

BlitzBlast posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - Actually He's A Guy

Actually He's A Guy
Actually A Guy
Actually Guy
AcGuy

I am prepared for AcGuy Amazing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TNG posted:

lovely? What are you talking about, this thing is pure perfection!

It's good, but it's no HG, boy! No HG!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'm just going to believe that the Zeon Bar Guys are the actual Ramba Ral and Ral Squadron. Build Fighters Universe is actually Gundam Valhalla.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Mahiroo :allears:

Faltion posted:

I'm really wondering what the suit on the left is at the beginning of the scene when two suits cross heat sabers. The one on the right I think is a Dom Prototype, but I have absolutely no idea what the one on the left is.

Septem, from After War Gundam X.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/x/rms-009.htm

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 22, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If it wasn't for Non Non Biyori this would be the funniest show of the season for the sheer seriousness with which the characters treat gunpla battles.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You new to sports anime? :v:

Honestly though, that's something the series has been handling well. In most anime of this genre, the entire world is obsessed with the sport. Here? It's flat out stated that it's a pretty geeky hobby that only recently started ramping up.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly though, that's something the series has been handling well. In most anime of this genre, the entire world is obsessed with the sport. Here? It's flat out stated that it's a pretty geeky hobby that only recently started ramping up.

And lets be honest, Gunpla Battle would be loving AMAZING if it were real. Super advanced holograms and a particle that causes plastic toys to fly around engaged in combat with one another?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I hope there's a water stage in the future, so we could get Kapools in.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

BlitzBlast posted:

My favorite example of this (as it is of many things) is Ring ni Kakero, wherein the whole world is obsessed not only with boxing, but particularly middle school class boxing. Because I mean obviously, why wouldn't the pinnacle come before puberty? Except of course the upper levels become more important as the characters get older, and then the younger classes stop being important.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

My favorite example of this (as it is of many things) is Ring ni Kakero, wherein the whole world is obsessed not only with boxing, but particularly middle school class boxing. Because I mean obviously, why wouldn't the pinnacle come before puberty? Except of course the upper levels become more important as the characters get older, and then the younger classes stop being important.

The best part of that is that they end up fighting literal Greek gods in one of the tournaments, and then once they're trying to go pro, we get things like, "pros are on a completely different level from what you've fought so far!" (In fairness, iirc, Kenzaki's debut match was against a guy named Jesus Christ so...)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

This show is more fun than it has a right to be and gives me hope for the franchise.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

I hope there's a water stage in the future, so we could get Kapools in.
Bring on the beach episode!

Oh, and the swimsuit fanservice can come along, I...guess? :shrug:

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
"Is this kid from the Flanagan Institute?" :lol:
The referential humor is great in this series, it's a show that can be watched by young viewers with older generation fans(like a father or older brother) who can then :smug:ly explain the joke or historical reference.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
I'm actually kind of interested to see where they go with the Reiji character from here I'm assuming that at some point he's going to get absolutely destroyed by somebody who calls him out on not building his own gunpla, which will lead to the Build Mk2 and Sei piloting the Mk1. Especially after episode 2 showed that Yuuki was far more impressed with the Build Gundam than Reiji after their battle and how angry that made him.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I think it's probably significant that in the ending credits when everyone is in a gunpla costume Sei's in the Build Strike, and Reiji's in the Build Mk. II.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Valhawk posted:

I think it's probably significant that in the ending credits when everyone is in a gunpla costume Sei's in the Build Strike, and Reiji's in the Build Mk. II.
Maybe it's a tease for a future tag-team tourney arc?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Maybe it's a tease for a future tag-team tourney arc?

Makes sense, if it goes that way, then it'll let Sei learn to pilot and Reiji will learn to build models. Then it'll culminate in them facing each other in the finals of the world tournament. End with a fade to white and an epilogue that shows Sei and Reiji as adults building mobile suits. Unless the whole "Reiji's an alien" thing really starts sends things off the rails.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really hope it does. These kinds of shows work best when they go off the rails in my opinion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, Reiji is teleporting and telepathic so there is going to be some off-the-rails.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Let's not forget that there's also a man who looks EXACTLY like Ramba Ral in this universe. Off-the-rails should be expected.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-FVyHGZI0Y

In this episode we learn the true terror of idols.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

aers posted:

In this episode we learn the true terror of idols.

I thought we learned about those in SEED...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ahahaha this episode was hilarious, the idol is like this sad parody of fans who force themselves on a franchise and end up hating everything. I mean, sure it's for work but she didn't have to take it that far!

Though someone who likes 0080 suits can't be that bad in my book, even if she's pretending.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I love how the person everybody thought would be the Lacus expy turned out to be a manipulating brat. It's just too perfect. :allears:

And I imagine when she comes back, she'll be using a GM of some kind. That'll be nice to watch.

Next week the Gundam X Maou makes its appearance! :dance:

EDIT: Also a moment of silence for Mandala Gundam. :smith:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 28, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Also a moment of silence for Mandala Gundam. :smith:

Yeah, man. What the hell? It does its cool Yin Yang pose thingy and then just gets shot. Kiral would be ashamed.

I'm also really excited for the Maoh, since it looks like a really awesome reworking of a pretty great looking suit to begin with.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The joke is that the Mandala gundam's pilot went around killing his competitors before they could fight. Also Kiral's japanese name was Kiraru. Kirara.

They're getting pretty subtle with the references.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how the class rep spent half the episode as Gendo Ikari. And Yuuki and Reiji's disgusted faces when Kirara was Kiraraing were amazing. I hope this goes full Yu-Gi-Oh and ends up with her learning to ~love Gundam~, since she was actually kind of great, and seemed to be walking off dramatically at the end.

Also is it just me or does the ZAKU AMAZING keep taking out SEED suits?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 28, 2013

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Endorph posted:

hopefully it will never stop :allears:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I want Ral to show up as one of their final opponent, but he is now donning the Char mask and trying to act like a different person.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Was that shot of Sei's dad always in the opening?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, Sei accidentally smearing blue paint on his face is new though.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
No, it was there last week at least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I like how the class rep spent half the episode as Gendo Ikari. And Yuuki and Reiji's disgusted faces when Kirara was Kiraraing were amazing. I hope this goes full Yu-Gi-Oh and ends up with her learning to ~love Gundam~, since she was actually kind of great, and seemed to be walking off dramatically at the end.

It was interesting how Reiji didn't condemn her for her underhanded tactics, but actually seemed to respect her for it.

Yeah, hopefully we do see her again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

2chan rumors claim that we won't be seeing anything from 00 S2 or AGE because another network still has the contracts for them. Sounds plausible enough, and to be honest if it means getting to see more of the older stuff then I'm fine with that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

00 S2? What about the movie and S1?

I'm only really worried about seeing a FLAG, mind.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

As a general rule this show seems to hate Gundam SEED. Apart from the Build Strike we've seen the Freedom(Cut in half), Zaku Gunner Warrior (threatened to be cut), and the Justice (Shot to death). I suppose its to make up for the fact that the main Gundam is from SEED (kinda, not really) but still.

I'm more surprised that we haven't seen anything from 00, which was written by the same people. I am not surprised that we haven't seen poo poo from age however. And speaking of AGE, at this point in that series we were about to enter Fardain instead of prepping for a kicking rad battle with Gundam X.

Overall I'd say this episode was pretty damned good. The battle was actually kinda 'meh' for me, but I think its just a matter of budgetary concerns, this episode wasn't exactly super important in the grand scheme of things, so its no surprise that the animation is slightly less impressive than say the first two. That said the plot continues to move along in very entertaining ways, the stuff with Kousaka was amusing, Ramba Ral continues to appear creepily out of nowhere and we continue to see how much of a neurotic Gundam nerd Sei is.

I especially liked how they have an initial scene which seems to suggest that she's this huge pop star, when in fact she's got like... twenty fans.

Edit: Yeah, that explains the 00 and Age stuff, probably going to be the same with unicorn as well. I figured Age was just general distaste, but that seems to make sense. Kinda sad since I really liked a lot of the 00 machines.

I am curious to see how they handle some of the special systems from respective series. We haven't seen anything resembling Psychoframe, Trans-am, Zero system etc. Judging from this episode they also seem to be ignoring defensive stuff like Phase Shift, which isn't surprising.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

We've seen a couple Exia cameos (hell this episode Kirara was watching 00 S1 in her flashback), and I don't think movies get contracted to networks. It's probably just going to be 00 S2.

• Locked thread