Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Can I use the stealth opener without having Night Warrior equipped?

Like I have the skill Night Warrior and Regen. I use Evasive Maneuvers to get into stealth then use the opener?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure it's part and parcel with Night Warrior, but I admit I haven't tested it.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

jerichojx posted:

Can I use the stealth opener without having Night Warrior equipped?

Like I have the skill Night Warrior and Regen. I use Evasive Maneuvers to get into stealth then use the opener?

Nope. To use sneak and shadow strike, you must be using the Night Warrior passive.

Even then, the only other move that would actually trigger Shadow Strike to do its spike damage is Smoke Bomb - Evasive Maneuvers is just a big and very temporary stealth buff, while Smoke Bomb will actually put you into sneaking stance for a good 10 seconds.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Release Notes, October 24th 226mb

quote:

Vehicles:
Most Vehicles got a minor rename to move the vehicle type (such as "Grav Bike") from the name to the item's description.
Old Hawkwings that were named like Become Devices (such as "Become Hawkwing Command Ship") are now called Prototypes (such as "Prototype Hawkwing Command Ship")
Hawkwings that had "Mark 2" in their names (such as "Hawkwing Command Ship Mark 2") to differentiate them from the Prototypes aren't called "Mark 2" anymore (such as "Hawkwing Command Ship").
Hawkwing vehicles now have a 30 second cooldown like the other vehicles.

Items:
Gladiator Imperator become device: fixed stat scaling on its Unstoppable passive.
Fixed damage absorb for the Invulnerability power on Lemurian Power Armors and Powered Suit become devices.
Added invulnerability passive to Resistance Command Leader Robot become device, since it had no passive.
Mummy become device: fixed issues related to stat scaling for its Pestilence passive.
Both new and existing Doomlord and Celestial become devices have been raised from purple to gold quality.
Halloween Treat Bags may now be used straight from your inventory.
Gravity Pulse (vehicle weapon) now affects a maximum of five targets per pulse.
Fixed an issue where vehicles would sometimes become immobile.
Favor of the Champions, XP Boost, Resources Boost now stack to 999.

UI:
Loading screens referring to Alert rewards have been updated.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wonder what they're going to do once they finish with all these patches fixing long-standing bugs and little name convention issues. If they were just going to retire the game into maintenance, well, it was already basically there, so I can't see them doing this as some sort of cleanup or prep for shifting the game into a near-staffless mode. I hope something big's coming.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Foundry (both other Cryptic MMOs have this, and AFAIK all 3 games run on basically the same engine)? I would say expansions like VB but it seems like they're happy to rake in money from lockboxes as a simpler alternative.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kelp Plankton posted:

I wonder what they're going to do once they finish with all these patches fixing long-standing bugs and little name convention issues. If they were just going to retire the game into maintenance, well, it was already basically there, so I can't see them doing this as some sort of cleanup or prep for shifting the game into a near-staffless mode. I hope something big's coming.
Meanwhile, in my insane fantasies.

"STO Ground missions are now playable as CO superheroes. STO Starships now playable in CO."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Section Z posted:

Meanwhile, in my insane fantasies.

"STO Ground missions are now playable as CO superheroes. STO Starships now playable in CO."

There's even precedent:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Star-Trek-Next-Generation/dp/0671019163

e: Man, I tried starting a Might knockback-focused character, and gently caress that. KB is annoying, dudes don't take extra falling damage anymore, and (it feels like at least) Might has pretty crappy damage output compared to other options.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 25, 2013

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Oh man, melee in general have such a rough time.

I once did Colbert as a Might/Inv and was very disappointed. I picked only Uppercut, Haymaker and Demolish and no Roomsweeper. Roomsweeper is such a pain in the rear end.

It is the same as my Unarmed Champion now as the damage is not as good as it should be and the double issue of you being in melee range only to do damage.

On the plus side, making a Batman costume is cool as hell.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Current pet peeve: It seems impossible to find an Earth framework gide on the official forums. :argh:

e: Or Wind.

e2: Someone talk to me about the Archery Manipulator builds I've seen some of you running for Sonic Arrow and Gas Arrow shenanigans. I might give that a try.

Sonic/Gas/Exploding arrows for the authentic Green Arrow feel? :getin:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 25, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...A000nOH0aZ90E0C

Name: Nereid

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Arcanus
Level 6: Intimidating
Level 9: Agile
Level 12: Brilliant
Level 15: Finesse
Level 18: Coordinated
Level 21: Diplomatic

Powers:
Level 1: Strafe
Level 1: Straight Shot (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Sonic Arrow (Rank 2, Deadly Dissonance)
Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Manipulator
Level 14: Storm of Arrows (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Hunter's Instinct
Level 20: Gas Arrow (Rank 2, Noxious Fumes)
Level 23: Vala's Light (Rank 2, Light Everlasting)
Level 26: Mental Storm (Rank 2)
Level 29: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Rebirth
Level 38: Divine Renewal

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (1/3)
Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
Overseer: Overseer Aura (3/3)
Overseer: Impact (2/2)
Overseer: Trapped (3/3)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

This works pretty great, swap out Vala's Light and self rez/rez if you're less interested in being counted on for support. I can tell you from experience that the explosive arrow with the advantage is really nice, the secondary boom damage does not care about charge time. Don't let people tell you this is a bad set, it's pretty fun.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 25, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Some discussion by DwightMC about the reasoning and the mechanics of the upcoming ratings revamp (nerf). He comes right out and says that gear has gotten way too powerful and that their goal is shift the focus back to the core powers like Lightning Reflexes for being good sources of dodge/avoid.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

It seems like they fixed the male glowing head thing. I can't get it to work according to bluhman's costume guide on the official forums. :argh:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Hey folks, I'm a STO goon who is feeling the old CoH hero itch.

Apparently there isn't a CO download on the PWE site, it just links to Arc.

I downloaded and installed Arc, but it won't run on my Win 8 desktop

Someone mentioned in the Star Trek that the STO launcher can 'show all games' and you can choose a shard that way, I'm hoping I can get CO that way.

So yeah, if it works, I'll be joining you dudes punching other dudes in the dick.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Alternately, download CO through Steam. That'll give you the old launcher, which still works. Plus you then get the benefit of paying for zen through Steam Wallet instead of PWE's hosed up system.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Well, I got it downloaded and I logged in and messed with the character creator for a few minutes. I'll have to check it out more later.

I use the same global as STO
@epoch9

I hope you guys are ready for a billion dumbass questions.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Does taking two active offence and defence allow me to chain buffs?

It would allow me about 30s of downtime right?

I have like 2 slots that I have idea what to put in.

I'll post build once I get home.

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 26, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You can rotate Active Offenses and Defenses like that, sure. In fact, the 30-second lockout is ALSO reduced by things like Int and recharge reduction, so if you have a lot of that you can keep 2 or 3 rotating (which is also a good way to keep MSA triggering).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So I was asking in chat about tank spec builds. The STR/con/end option seemed good to me, apparently I can use STR to buff everything? What's the build for that?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

So I was asking in chat about tank spec builds. The STR/con/end option seemed good to me, apparently I can use STR to buff everything? What's the build for that?

Your first specilization tree is set by your 'primary' superstat. So you mkae Strength your primary. You then have to spend 5 specializaion points in the bottom row to unlock the top row. In the top row you want to put 3 points in the Juggernaught option, which is the one that converts Con to Defense.

Your next two specialization trees you get to choose yourself, but many people suggest making Warden (if melee) or Gaurdian (if ranged) one of them. The reason being both of those trees have, in their top row/second half, the 'Best Defense' perk. At 3 points it converts 100% of your Defense rating into Offense. You can take both trees and Best Defense in both and it will stack, but you'll probably be hitting the diminishing returns in Offense by that point. Or, what you could do is...

For your third tree, take the Vindicator option. It has a perk, right at the beginning, called 'Aggressive Stance'. This one converts up to 20% of your Offense into Defense. The trick here being if you have both it and Best Defense they reinforce each other some.

So, hypothetical situation. You have 100 Defense and Offense, and get Best Defense 3/3. Now you have 100 Defense, 200 Offense. Then you get Aggressive Stance 2/2. Now you have 140 Defense, 200 Offense. But that extra 40 Defense ALSO gets converted, so after a second it jumps to 140 Def, 240 Off. It'll jump back and forth a couple times like this, I'm not sure exactly how many.

Side note: You can do a similar trick with Ego as your primary stat, it's just not as efficient. Instead of getting up to 0.3 Defense per 1 Con, the Ego version is up to 0.1 Defense per point in either of your secondary superstats.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Being super-pretty turns out to be super powerful. I finished leveling Nereid and went all in on Presence from items, and currently have 691 Presence (rank 6 mods on Heroic primary items and +37 from purple secondaries, not terribly expensive).

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...3000nOH0aZ90E7F

Name: Nereid

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Arcanus
Level 6: Intimidating
Level 9: Agile
Level 12: Brilliant
Level 15: Finesse
Level 18: Coordinated
Level 21: Diplomatic

Powers:
Level 1: Strafe
Level 1: Straight Shot (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Sonic Arrow (Rank 2, Deadly Dissonance)
Level 8: Hunter's Instinct
Level 11: Storm of Arrows (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
Level 17: Gas Arrow (Rank 2, Noxious Fumes)
Level 20: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Manipulator
Level 26: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Mental Storm
Level 38: Grasping Shadows

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (1/3)
Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Precise (1/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Stalling Tactics (3/3)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Some highlights:
- My stun from Sonic Arrow is TWELVE drat SECONDS with 8 stacks of Manipulator (100 foot range, 3 targets, no cooldown, pretty good damage)
- Paralyze duration is SIXTY EIGHT SECONDS with the two unranked AOE Paralyzes, which cool down in 8 seconds
- My AOPM gives friendlies +100 all stats when I am in Sentinel role, and being in Sentinel role is pretty much my bag man
- My Sigils of Ebon Weakness debuffs enemy damage by -76% per sigil, and yes they do stack; from experimenting with a fellow goon this appears to be mathed similar to how resistance and recharge are, so basically standing in all 5 sigils' radius means enemy damage is divided by 4.8 (that's actually better than a rank 3 block)

e: all these numbers except AOPM buff are EVEN BETTER when in alerts and scaled down to 30! -92% damage per sigil from Ebon Sigils, stun duration of 14 seconds!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 26, 2013

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Goddamn, Takofanes gets out of his chair now? I got to see about three frames of that before my client exploded. Maybe tomorrow I'll de-mothball my ego blader - I'm less sure of his powers, though...

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Has this last update lagged for anyone? I tried playing with some goons just now and took several tries to log on and only could handle one mission before disconnecting completely.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I've heard this kind of thing from some other players but it's been working really well for me, I dunno what to tell you. Possibly some late night maintenance somewhere between you and PW.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Ankh

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Agile
Level 9: Enduring
Level 12: Mighty
Level 15: Acrobat
Level 18: Martial Focus
Level 21: Physical Conditioning

Powers:
Level 1: Righteous Fists
Level 1: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Rank 3, Ghostly Strikes)
Level 6: Intensity
Level 8: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Form of the Tempest
Level 14: Dragon's Claws (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Void Shift (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 20: Shuriken Storm (Rank 2, Floating Butterfly, Strong Arm)
Level 23: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Resurgence
Level 29: Rebirth
Level 32: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
Level 35: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3, Silent Running)
Level 38: Smoke Bomb

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Acrobatics (Versatility)

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Exhausting Strikes (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
Arbiter: Arbiter Aura (3/3)
Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
Arbiter: Enhanced Gear (3/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Modified Regen build with Lifedrain with focus on Tanking in Hybrid stance with Protector tree and buffing team's damage with debuffs and Arbiter Aura.

Thoughts?

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Won't tank that well without crippling challenge and challenging strikes. Will tank okay thanks to protector but not as good as it could.

Night Warrior without a boomerang power to be overwhelming to worthless minions seems a waste, somehow - I'm partial to Ricochet Throw.

Lifedrain without any pre or bonus healing is a pretty weak heal - it's kind of worthless on my offensive passive/offensive role darkness guy without any PRE / boosts. The more classic regen + heal is Devour Essence... but since you have Regen, it should actually be fine and the heal is just a little bonus for a ranged damage maintain. If you're liking it run with it.

Also, no proper energy unlock. FoTT is fine, and you should be critting a lot, but I'd personally lose Rebirth and grab... either MSA (void shift as trigger), or maybe overdrive (OHH, lifedrain, shuriken storm).

$.02

and HukHukHuk - I've had some strange problems with disconnects, lag, and the client not quite updating (character is there, but the alert window isn't, often the missions aren't in the UI, and oh yeah, I can't actually INTERACT WITH ANYTHING). For q few months now.

But I can chat. So that's something.

Not all the time, but it's worst for me in US EST evening.

While I can usually play fine the rest of the time. Can be very irritating since I can only play during the week for a bit after the kids are settled. Which is ... right around 9 pm. Which is when things usually get screwy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

WarLocke posted:

Your first specilization tree is set by your 'primary' superstat. So you mkae Strength your primary. You then have to spend 5 specializaion points in the bottom row to unlock the top row. In the top row you want to put 3 points in the Juggernaught option, which is the one that converts Con to Defense.

Your next two specialization trees you get to choose yourself, but many people suggest making Warden (if melee) or Gaurdian (if ranged) one of them. The reason being both of those trees have, in their top row/second half, the 'Best Defense' perk. At 3 points it converts 100% of your Defense rating into Offense. You can take both trees and Best Defense in both and it will stack, but you'll probably be hitting the diminishing returns in Offense by that point. Or, what you could do is...

For your third tree, take the Vindicator option. It has a perk, right at the beginning, called 'Aggressive Stance'. This one converts up to 20% of your Offense into Defense. The trick here being if you have both it and Best Defense they reinforce each other some.

So, hypothetical situation. You have 100 Defense and Offense, and get Best Defense 3/3. Now you have 100 Defense, 200 Offense. Then you get Aggressive Stance 2/2. Now you have 140 Defense, 200 Offense. But that extra 40 Defense ALSO gets converted, so after a second it jumps to 140 Def, 240 Off. It'll jump back and forth a couple times like this, I'm not sure exactly how many.

Side note: You can do a similar trick with Ego as your primary stat, it's just not as efficient. Instead of getting up to 0.3 Defense per 1 Con, the Ego version is up to 0.1 Defense per point in either of your secondary superstats.

Is this advice just for Freeform builds, or would it also work for a brick archetype?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^: If you get to pick your second and third trees with archetypes (I don't know offhand, I've always been subscribed and have never used an AT) and the AT gets Strength as its first tree then yes, it should work just fine as far as I know.

HukHukHuk posted:

Has this last update lagged for anyone? I tried playing with some goons just now and took several tries to log on and only could handle one mission before disconnecting completely.

I was getting some weird lag/latency issues last night too. Never had them before this last patch. Not sure what exactly is going on.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

WarLocke posted:

^^: If you get to pick your second and third trees with archetypes (I don't know offhand, I've always been subscribed and have never used an AT) and the AT gets Strength as its first tree then yes, it should work just fine as far as I know.

I haven't even officially made my dude yet, but I hope so.

quote:

I was getting some weird lag/latency issues last night too. Never had them before this last patch. Not sure what exactly is going on.
The game knows I'm coming. :ohdear:

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
How's Ricochet Throw as an AOE compared to Shuriken Storm?

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

jerichojx posted:

How's Ricochet Throw as an AOE compared to Shuriken Storm?

Pretty good. Fully charged it'll kill minions instantly, and the AoE on it isn't a straight AoE. Rather, it chains between targets. So you can toss it at the guy on the end of a line and it'll still hit all of them, rather than having to target the guy in the middle like most AoEs.

Error 404 posted:

Is this advice just for Freeform builds, or would it also work for a brick archetype?

Assuming by brick you mean Behemoth, the Might AT, then for the most part yes. The basic mechanics are the same, but AT characters don't get to pick and choose their super stats or specialisation trees. The Behemoth specifically is stuck with Con primary, Str/Rec secondaries and Protector and Warden specialisations. Which is actually a pretty decent setup for a tank character, with the exception that the AT lacks a self heal power. Theres a few specialisations and advantages you can take to alleviate that somewhat, though. Or just carry healing consumables.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
I'd keep Shuriken Storm storm and add Ricochet Throw. They're not redundant IMO since Shuriken Storm is a maintain.

Also, it could hold challenging strikes, and Ricochet Throw, for that matter, could take Crippling Challenge. It only hits the primary target with CC AFAIK, but that's fine for a tank anyway.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
In the end, I ended up with Shuriken Storm, took out Rebirth and Lifedrain for Overdrive and Devour Essence.

Devour has Crippling and swapped in Challenging in Hundred Hands. Should I swap out Strong Arm in Shuriken Storm for Challenging?

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
You'd have more threat from challenging, you'd have more damage from Strong Arm.

If you're concerned about tanking non-hard-targets, sure, I guess, but I think you'd be better off keeping Strong Arm personally, and just keep hitting the big guys with OHH.

$.02

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Don't be one of Those Guys complaining you can't hold aggro if you avoid the advantages specifically offered to give you extra aggro and hard taunt effects.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Sure... but would you say he needs CS on both One Hundred Hands *and* Shuriken Storm?

Most tank builds I see get by just fine with one power with CS.

Now, it cannot HURT to have it on both, since Shuriken is a 25' PBAOE, and OHH is melee. But ... do you really care that much about tanking minions?

Or big guys?

And... if you're down to an alert boss... why would you use Shuriken Storm anyway?

Just sayin'.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Of the two, I'd put challenging strikes on Shuriken Storm in a heartbeat, no question. As far as what kills people in teams, yeah if you're actually trying to be The Tank, you need to get the minions and most particularly the lieutenants and master villains that tend to hang in the back and lob Chest Beam and poo poo. Most tanks (especially melee ones) just go for the scrum that rushes forward and ignore the back rank dudes.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Fair enough. I haven't used Shuriken Storm outside of the powerhouse.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
We did both Resistance and Wipeout today and the production quality for these two Adventures are really high.

Any goons who are on the fence about trying out Champions Online should totally get in now. There is a major update coming up for gear and powers and the Supergroup has lots of people playing everyday with animated debates on builds and powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. I've been distracted by various other things, such as the new stuff on the STO test server, but this is still easily the busiest I've seen ChampO in months. :toot: