Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Lost my first random Triple battle to some kid with a Mega Mewtwo. If it didn't outspeed my Noivern, I would have won.

Also, after 69 eggs, I finally hatched Shayera the Jolly Fletchling! Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, Roost and Steel Wing! I think it's very appropriate to be named after Hawk Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So I'm building a team for messing around with wifi battles. Doubles and Singles though

I currently have

Tyranitar - Assault Vest
Malamar - Leftover, Contrary
Greninja - Protean + Life Orb

I have three more slots though. fuuuck. I kinda want a poison heal gliscor though. Anyone got any suggestions? I think I have Rock, Grass and Dragon holes at the moment.

Solus fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 26, 2013

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

MrFlibble posted:

So anyone got a team suggestion for stomping over the battle maison? Back with the PWT I used a politoed/dragonite/kingdra team but even that was hard pressed to win every match (Rotation, world leaders) and to get the berry prizes looks like you need a lot of consecutive wins.

I did pretty ok in the battle subway running singles with Cloyster/Gliscor (protect/sub/toxic/earthquake)/X (choose your favourite 600+bst pokemon), though breeding new versions of each might take a bit of time. I imagine an appropriate mega Blaziken would also be pretty useful. I tend to make stupid mistakes though so avoiding those would certainly help.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I've done fairly well on matches 1-20 in the maison with gredinja, talonflame, and aegislash. I swear that purrugly never misses with hypnosis though...

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
If you accidentally step on an item during the Lost and Found job at the hotel they dock your pay from 20,000 to 3,000, and if you break it they only pay you 900, loving hell, no wonder everyone in Kalos asks for tips.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Why did Game Freak give one of Mewtwo's mega formes an unmatched physical attack stat and then not bother giving him physical attacks? The official site uses Giga Impact as the example for the sorts of powerful attacks he can use. Jesus.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Just found out my Tyrantrum has perfect Attack IVs, so I decided to boost his attack EVs.

It takes two goals to complete any sort of training whatsoever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I tried out the restaurants for the first time. Paid 80,000 pokebucks to eat a meal by myself and left no tip :cool:

Also in rotation battles you can level a guy from 1-50 if you just keep him in the back with a Lucky Egg and don't use him. This requires you to be able to beat the whole thing with 2 active guys though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone else dislike the graphics/camera angle in X/Y? I find it really awkward and I keep not being able to walk places I think I can.

Also what's with the pokemon that's a sword?

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, you have to trade your pokes onto a Gen 5 game in order to upload them to the bank. HG/SS and Diamond/Pearl/Plat are Gen 4, and thus will not work.

Right, I forgot to ask, does Black/White work or does it have to be black2/white2?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Right, I forgot to ask, does Black/White work or does it have to be black2/white2?

Black and White are gen 5 games.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Wonder Trade is The Best Thing. Pokemon + Gambling = Virtual Crack.

I had a box full of Bulbasaurs that I was going to release but figured I would Wonder Trade them instead. I went in expecting to just get a bunch of level 2 Pansears or something in return but actually got some cool stuff.

I'm a dirty casual that doesn't do the competitive thing so getting some funny or rare Pokemon to fill out my Pokedex is great. Stuff to help me breed my favourites is also awesome. I scored:
  • Japanese Adaptability Eevee
  • Bagon
  • Japanese Ditto
  • Japanese Modest Charmander
  • Machop with No Guard named "Big Guy"
  • Japanese Speed Boost Torchic
  • Japanese Modest Fennekin
  • Protean Froakie
I feel bad about some of them for only offering up Bulbasaurs. I guess the karma balances itself out though since I also received a bunch of crap like Panpours and Kakunas.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Xik posted:

I'm a dirty casual that doesn't do the competitive thing so getting some funny or rare Pokemon to fill out my Pokedex is great. Stuff to help me breed my favourites is also awesome. I scored:

Japanese Adaptability Eevee
Oh hey, that was me. You'll be happy to know I chain-traded your Bulbasaur for a Pansear.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

noirstronaut posted:

About 3 boxes full of Elekids. 0 shinies.

Will try again tomorrow.
Dude that ain't poo poo, I'm on Box 9. I tip regularly and I'm using the Masuda Method.

I knew I never should've attempted this :(

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Anatharon posted:

Also what's with the pokemon that's a sword?

It's rad as hell :confused:

Next you'll ask what's up with the luchador bird.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Goodpart posted:

Oh hey, that was me. You'll be happy to know I chain-traded your Bulbasaur for a Pansear.

Thanks for the Eevee! Sorry you got the rear end end of that deal.

Those drat elemental monkeys :argh:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So I picked up this game today, booted it up, caught a Pikachu, realized Pikachu was terrible, and decided to experiment with Wonder Trade.

I can't describe how jarring it is, as someone who never followed Pokemon very closely after Gen 2, to put an ordinary Pikachu into Wonder Trade and get back a Level 1 Klink with a Japanese name.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish tipping was default of a yes not a no. I always gently caress that up. Darn A button spam.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Out of curiosity, wouldn't the wonder trade be full of hacked pokemon or something?

Lessail posted:

It's rad as hell :confused:

Next you'll ask what's up with the luchador bird.

Goodness no, what is there to ask about a luchador bird?

I just thought Pokemon were supposed to be like.. Animals. :v:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Uploaded a bunch of battle videos. :shobon:
Enter the code in your Vs. Recorder key item to watch them. The Vs. Recorder is a postgame item if you can't find it.

[Ranked Singles] M.Aggron, Togekiss, Goodra vs [JPN] Gardevoir, Delphox, M.Mawile:
    [9RYG-WWWW-WWW2-W68D]
[Free Singles] M.Aggron, Togekiss, Goodra vs [JPN] M.Mewtwo Y, Blaziken, Aggron:
    [T4WW-WWWW-WWW2-W5HW]
[Free Singles] Scolipede, Togekiss, M.Kangaskhan vs [USA] M. Blaziken, Yveltal, Zygarde:
    [QFPW-WWWW-WWWX-UNUD]
[Free Singles] Scolipede, Togekiss, M.Kangaskhan vs [JPN] Barbaracle, Lilligant, Garchomp
    [QFPW-WWWW-WWWX-UNUD]
[Free Singles] Scolipede, Gengar, M.Kangaskhan vs [JPN] Zygarde, Xerneas, M.Blaziken
    [VC5G-WWWW-WWW2-W76A]
[Free Singles] Scolipede, Togekiss, M.Kangaskhan vs [USA] Abomasnow, Gengar, Vaporean
    [GRPW-WWWW-WWW2-W6UJ]
[Free Singles] Scolipede, Gengar, M.Kangaskhan vs [USA] Gardevoir, Aegislash, M.Charizard X
    [XJAW-WWWW-WWW2-W75R]
[Free Singles] M.Aggron, Togekiss, Gengar vs [JPN] Noivern, Sylveon, M.Absol
    [EJDW-WWWW-WWWX-RVB9]
[Free Singles] M.Aggron, Togekiss, Gengar vs [USA] Talonflame, Scizor, Sylveon
    [6L4G-WWWW-WWWX-RVZJ]
[Free Singles] M.Aggron, Togekiss, Gengar vs [USA] Simipour, Accelgor, M.Ampharos(shiny!)
    [K43W-WWWW-WWWX-RVVC]

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Anatharon posted:

Pokemon are whatever little kids will find cute and/or cool. That includes a lot of things, like finally a T-Rex Pokemon and DBZ power up stones.

Basically they need to add more ghost Pokemon since they are the coolest. :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Out of curiosity, wouldn't the wonder trade be full of hacked pokemon or something?

Mr. Mime has existed since gen one, you know.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
After a long (drunken) session I proudly bred my first 5 x max IV poke, then released a load of pokes i didn't need.

This morning I have no destiny knot. The maid in Cyllage City hotel says "it just seems wrong to sell or throw away a gift, right" suggesting I already had that one.

Does the "Beauty" in Lumiose City respawn like all the other outdoor people? or am I reduced to begging for a destiny knot from others to solve the problem raised by my retardation?

EDIT: She has a second spawn point down a side ally, beat her there and she resets to the original position with a new Destiny knot.

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 26, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Nintendo's filters are pretty good at catching hacked Pokemon, but even that's not actually relevant because hacking Pokemon at all would first require the 3DS being cracked, which so far it hasn't.

Someone please explain to me why Lilligant is only RU. I just watched mine 2HKO a Moltres with a grass attack while tanking Hurricanes. Admittedly that was a little extreme and only happened because miss/sleep powder luck got me up to six boosts, but it seems like once that thing starts dancing it becomes an unstoppable force. Also, it's adorable.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I finally got a pokemon that can handle it's way through most horde pokemon and would let me pick out a particular one to keep

:negative:

It starts raining and I can't use sweet scent

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

LAY-ZX posted:

Nintendo's filters are pretty good at catching hacked Pokemon, but even that's not actually relevant because hacking Pokemon at all would first require the 3DS being cracked, which so far it hasn't.

Someone please explain to me why Lilligant is only RU. I just watched mine 2HKO a Moltres with a grass attack while tanking Hurricanes. Admittedly that was a little extreme and only happened because miss/sleep powder luck got me up to six boosts, but it seems like once that thing starts dancing it becomes an unstoppable force. Also, it's adorable.

Lilligant doesn't have a whole lot of offensive coverage outside of Petal Dance, and being locked into a Grass-type attack, even a powerful one, is pretty risky. Anything with a Grass resistance and decent special bulk, or with Sap Sipper, can switch in on you and wreck house. And honestly, if you manage to set up six Quiver Dance boosts with anything you've pretty much already won. That's not to say Lilligant is useless -- as you've seen, under the right circumstances it can be very powerful. But it's not unstoppable if your opponent is playing well and not spectacularly unlucky.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've bred up my first near-perfect 'mon with the awesome new destiny knot rules, 31 HP, SpA, SpD, Speed (is there a way to autolevel it to 50 or so to check defense other than challenging some random other person and then quitting like a jerk once I'm done?) and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I'm thinking standard paraflincher:

Togekiss@Leftovers
Serene Grace
252HP/252 (Def or SpD)/4 Whatever
--Thunder Wave
--Air Slash
--Roost
--???

But I haven't looked at moveset changes/additions in this gen. I could go Water Pulse for confusion, but I don't know if Fairy added anything nifty. Nasty Plot's one I've seen thrown around but that takes breeding so I should've thought of that before getting the end product.

Hell, with reset bags and hordes I could just train it as a staller and if I get bored redo it as a sweeper later.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Why can't they just get rid of Jynx

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'd really like a goomy with it's hidden ability but is it something that I have to catch in a friend safari or will it show up if I wander around enough in route 14?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'd really like a goomy with it's hidden ability but is it something that I have to catch in a friend safari or will it show up if I wander around enough in route 14?

Safari only, so I'd just head to the trading thread in GTS and ask if someone can hook you up there.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

Ferrothorn exists.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, a Beldum vs a Nosepass swarm is the single most tedious thing imaginable.

Nothing to use but Take Down, locked in place due to Magnet Pull, all of them using Harden until their defenses are maxed... this battle's been going on about 20 minutes, I have two still alive and at full health. They keep dodging! And all they have is fuckin' Tackle, so they can't kill me, either! And I haven't caught a Nosepass yet so I have to get the swarm down to just one so I can catch the damned thing.

:byodood:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've named my Murkrow the greatest or the stupidest nickname ever BadCrowmance. But on more pressing matters, the fourth gyms Jumpluff is pretty deadly. The first time I tried to take the gym on, it killed half my team.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Testekill posted:

Jumpluff is pretty deadly

Words I never thought I would see.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
The fourth gym's Jumpluff is some baby poo poo. Leech Seed isn't going to help when I'm 2HKOing regardless.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Testekill posted:

I've named my Murkrow the greatest or the stupidest nickname ever BadCrowmance. But on more pressing matters, the fourth gyms Jumpluff is pretty deadly. The first time I tried to take the gym on, it killed half my team.

The nature sucks and so do the important IVs but I like my Murkrow nickname too.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

horchata posted:

I've done fairly well on matches 1-20 in the maison with gredinja, talonflame, and aegislash. I swear that purrugly never misses with hypnosis though...
I think Drapion is a fine Maison choice for this sort of thing. Battle Armor prevents crits, which the enemy just loves to pull out of its rear end, Drapion has a nice wide movepool and good bulk (I saw an Assault Vest set that looks impressively hard to kill) and Dark typing means Hypnosis will not work because it's a Psychic-type move. Won't stop him being Thunder Waved/Will-O-Wisped/Sleep Powdered, of course, but any Dark type shuts that Purugly's entire strategy down. Then again so does Blaziken + Speed Boost + Protect + High Jump Kick, if he doesn't miss.

Also Cacturne/Shiftry are now coincidentally immune to Sleep Powder and Hypnosis this gen. And Cacturne has a pretty good Sucker Punch. You can also try Malamar, who is also immune to Psychic and has Superpower.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
So I've been thinking about my cores:

Scizor / Talonflame or Scizor / Togekiss (I really like Scizor, but I don't know how to use him)

OR

Volcarona / Ferrothorn / Azumarill.

I'd like to take a combination of Scizor / Volcarona but I don't think it'll work? They're both bug, but have different weaknesses, but I don't think they have enough coverage between them for a core.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jeez is ranked really full of mega mewtwos? So close yet so far to understanding online game freak :(

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Speaking of Mewtwo what's a good nature to shoot for assuming you want to play as Mega Mewtwo X? Seems like a lot of experimentation hasn't been done on that front and I wanna see what top nerds think before I through more luxury balls at this thing.

By the way Capture O-Power is the greatest thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I wonder traded and got a Jolly Bagon with Outstanding IVs. I think this guy might have put it up by accident.

• Locked thread