Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Blazing Zero posted:

Right. I was about to post just this. Why would they bother to pay for other companies to host regional servers if you can just join the US one which will get better service. (player perception) It would be fantastic if it worked out like that, but it doesn't add up.

It is a little confusing, especially because if they are trying to make sure they are in line with any local laws for a given region, but here is Cory's post confirming nothing (at least as of now the way he sees it) would stop a player from Russia from creating an account on the US/EU servers.

I'm not sure how that works out for buying boosters/etc either. I guess just use a Paypal account if they support that payment method?

The major thing I'm seeing Cory talk about on the official forums when it comes to these partnerships (I was bored and decided to actually read through to see people's reactions, which are mixed) is that they had to do this in order to make their long term eSports goals happen.

Cory Jones posted:

Threading the needle of what I want this game to be in terms of eSports and everything else we talked about and still conform to ALL local governance issues around the world is almost impossible, when you see some of this stuff keep in mind what I am trying to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That's one of the biggest long-term risks for Hex, the difference between online TCGs and online poker isn't that great, and various governments may consider it gambling. A company like Hasbro would fight that tooth and nail in court, because they have lots of money and lots to lose, but something like Hex would be a much easier target.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Zurai posted:

Plenty of people will still play on their local servers. Better ping (which admittedly isn't as important in this kind of game, but with as many pass priority buttons as you have to hit, a 500 ms ping could add up really fast over a 3-game match), events timed for when they can actually play, support that speaks their language, other people who speak their language, etc etc etc.

The language thing is a dumb point to make. The ones who form cliques based on their language will do so no matter what the language of the server. And for places like China, sure, regional servers are great, because they don't speak English. In the Philippines, literally everyone has some grasp of English, and the nerds more so. The games over here are in English. Even the ones with regional servers. It's the same for the entire SEA region. And in Europe, they won't have a server for every language. They'll have a server, where every European person will play.

And based on my experience with other regional servers not hosted by the original developer, support might speak the local language, but good luck actually getting any support.

And you get roughly 200-300 ping to the US, no matter where in the world you are, provided you're on a decent connection.

I'm not saying everyone will head to the US servers, but a significant portion of the customer base in each region will. Which defeats the point of them in the first place.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I am 100% not gonna play in the Phillipines or China server. gently caress that. Makes me reconsider my $250 pledge.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Undeniably its gotta be a thing; Russians / etc aren't going to want to pay US prices for boosters - but if anyone can play on any server then wouldn't it make a lot of sense for everyone to just go where boosters / draft entry is the cheapest?

Also I wonder if the difference in supply/demand will be so great that the Kickstarter exclusives will end up with big differences in value depending on what server you choose?

As long as the game is good I don't really care about the answers really :angel:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Grim posted:

Undeniably its gotta be a thing; Russians / etc aren't going to want to pay US prices for boosters - but if anyone can play on any server then wouldn't it make a lot of sense for everyone to just go where boosters / draft entry is the cheapest?

Also I wonder if the difference in supply/demand will be so great that the Kickstarter exclusives will end up with big differences in value depending on what server you choose?

As long as the game is good I don't really care about the answers really :angel:

That's kind of my camp. As long as servers can be selected, I don't think it's a big deal.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I forget. Is there any way to rename my Keep in the demo? Can I rename it before The Real Deal launches? Or did I gently caress myself?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

There's no way to rename your keep in the alpha, but I'm pretty sure they've said there will be a way to rename it before open beta starts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A better question - is there any way to change your password?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jedit posted:

A better question - is there any way to change your password?

I don't believe there is. Honestly, I just put mine on a Sticky Note on the desktop, so I can copy/paste it in easily. I'm not too worried about security for an alpha game.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Hey, so in deckbuilding, it's been taking just this side of forever for the card images to load one at a time in my pool of owned cards, and when I try to bring up the large image nothing appears. Has anybody else been having a similar problem?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Istvun posted:

Hey, so in deckbuilding, it's been taking just this side of forever for the card images to load one at a time in my pool of owned cards, and when I try to bring up the large image nothing appears. Has anybody else been having a similar problem?

Yeah, happens to me too. There's a button to switch to the list view, so that it's actually usable.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I downloaded the client last night and had my two games that I tried to play with the AI both end with the pass priority bug. Bugs aside, the overall look and feel of the client is tremendous. With some time to iron out bugs and get more cards implemented, this could be a terrific game.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

revengeanceful posted:

I downloaded the client last night and had my two games that I tried to play with the AI both end with the pass priority bug. Bugs aside, the overall look and feel of the client is tremendous. With some time to iron out bugs and get more cards implemented, this could be a terrific game.

That's the general vibe I got. Plenty of bugs and missing features (which is forgivable in Alpha), but the design is impeccable.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
I found a pretty broken (and probably unintended) interaction with Replicator's Gambit and the spectres from Ancestral's Chosen. Each time you shuffle a spectre into your deck you get an additional two card draws for some reason, in addition to the card you get to draw from Replicator's Gambit. I've been refilling my hand for 2 mana and I don't feel even remotely bad about it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

RADmadness posted:

I found a pretty broken (and probably unintended) interaction with Replicator's Gambit and the spectres from Ancestral's Chosen. Each time you shuffle a spectre into your deck you get an additional two card draws for some reason, in addition to the card you get to draw from Replicator's Gambit. I've been refilling my hand for 2 mana and I don't feel even remotely bad about it.

I noticed the same thing in my prototype for my PvE deck (raptors + wildebeests + ancestor's chosen + replicator's gambit with a few actions on the side). Which is kind of clunky right now without equipment but looks like it'll be amazing once every raptor is a cantrip.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Go RV! posted:

Yeah, happens to me too. There's a button to switch to the list view, so that it's actually usable.

Except it only shows the first six words or so of text because it doesn't wrap.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

New patch is out! Notes are here.

Big thing seems to be gems having been added so socketable cards should now be usable. Also a bunch of fixes for games hanging and pass priority bugging out.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

cathead posted:

New patch is out! Notes are here.

Big thing seems to be gems having been added so socketable cards should now be usable. Also a bunch of fixes for games hanging and pass priority bugging out.

You can also change your password!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, some of the gems are different from the gems that have been spoiled and potentially very interesting. Things like a minor Wild gem that gives Spellshield, for example. (Although it does require two wild threshold...)

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, some of the gems are different from the gems that have been spoiled and potentially very interesting. Things like a minor Wild gem that gives Spellshield, for example. (Although it does require two wild threshold...)

Also, one of the major Ruby gems got changed to give you 2 temporary resources points. I'm assuming that will replace the major gem that kills a resource, because that could get a little nutty. I was looking forward to playing turn 3 Lord Alexander into turn 4 Eldritch Dream with that Gem, but I feel like it'll be for the best if I can't anymore. :v:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

That spellshield gem really concerns me. I don't really feel like that's a mechanic you want to have easily available.

Semi-related, I looked at Eldrich Dream last night in the deck builder, and I didn't see the "cannot be blocked" clause. Was that a display error, or was it nerfed?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just played my first game against the AI. I definitely share the sentiment that has been stated here already about how great the UI is already even in alpha state. The AI however has some learning to do. For some reason it transformed one of it's flying creatures with rage (that I couldn't block) into a Dingler.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can anyone confirm that the alpha accounts are just for alpha? I got two invites, for two different tiers. One of those is for a friend. Does it matter which I give, since the emails don't make any mention of particular tiers? I'm assuming the kickstarter rewards won't be tied to these accounts, and will come later on down the road in the form of codes or entirely new accounts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Protip posted:

Just played my first game against the AI. I definitely share the sentiment that has been stated here already about how great the UI is already even in alpha state. The AI however has some learning to do. For some reason it transformed one of it's flying creatures with rage (that I couldn't block) into a Dingler.

Yeah the AI loves to dinglify it's own troops. I have no idea why.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah the AI loves to dinglify it's own troops. I have no idea why.

It also has no concept of what Swiftstrike/First Strike is. It'll try to trade troops against swiftstrikers and end up just chump blocking.

As with everything (except the UI, which I agree is excellent), I'm certain that will improve as time passes. I'm sure the AI isn't exactly a priority right now.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

It hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet, but they released an article with this patch, about gems.

http://hextcg.com/gems-now-available/

It comes with this interesting new gem table:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So I made my first deck and played a few games. It's going pretty well.

Adamanthine Scrivener and Wretched Brood go well together, you actually gain life if you have more than one scrivener. Especially useful if you throw in a Righteous Paladin to get +1/+1 for every heal.

Scriveners count as separate heals. :getin:

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
So one of the Minor Sapphire gems gives the unit, flash. I really hope the keyword for this is BAMPH!

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Finally starting to play a few games against a friend and for some reason when it pops up my deck selection I only see 3 of the per-constructed decks. I've tried scrolling, arrow keys, and changing screen resolution but can't get my built deck or the 4th pre-built deck to show up. Anyone else experience this and know if there is a fix?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Protip posted:

Finally starting to play a few games against a friend and for some reason when it pops up my deck selection I only see 3 of the per-constructed decks. I've tried scrolling, arrow keys, and changing screen resolution but can't get my built deck or the 4th pre-built deck to show up. Anyone else experience this and know if there is a fix?

If you lose cards, try to log back in with a wrong password then type in the correct one. Seems to reset it.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
"When this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, troops you control gain permanent +1/+1 permanently."

So... until the end of your turn, I guess? Doesn't seem that great...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Permanently means permanently, even if they go to the graveyard or your hand or get shuffled back into your deck.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Zurai posted:

Permanently means permanently, even if they go to the graveyard or your hand or get shuffled back into your deck.

I think maybe I didn't deliver that joke very well.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zurai posted:

:thejoke:

You missed it.

In the meantime, I'm really liking the game. Even though I've only been able to finish maybe two or three games out of a dozen or so, tops.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I put together a mono-ruby Inspire/Cerebral Fulmination based deck. It does some pretty crazy stuff like Swiftstrike/Crush/Speed 8/1 Rampaging Tarasques for 5 resources, Sniper of Gawaine shooting them in the head for 8+ damage, Royal Falconer putting out 20 power worth of troops in one turn. Fulmination and a couple Hex Engines basically keep me fueled on game ending threats constantly flowing in once it gets going. It's a lot of stuff for removal to keep up with, and a ton of fun to play.

E: Deck List

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 26, 2013

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
There is something sweet about casting evolve on 7 pack raptors.

So many dinosaurs.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
How many games would you guys say you've successfully completed, either when playing against AI or against another human player?

I've played about 6 AI games and about 24 games against my husband, and I have only ever successfully completed 2 games with the SO. All other games we had to end because the 'pass priority' window doesn't pop up or it does and then disappears in half a second.

Please note that I'm not complaining. I know it's an alpha, I just want to know if others are having the same experience or if there's something wrong on my end somehow.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No, that sounds about right. Actually completing a game definitely is rarer than the priority bug triggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Tamba posted:

No, that sounds about right. Actually completing a game definitely is rarer than the priority bug triggering.

Thanks for confirming. I was wondering if it was my connection.

The game is great fun when it's going on. There were a few games I wish I could have finished, because I'd find myself in terrible situations and was finally able to dig myself out and even begin to come out ahead -- would've liked to know if I was able to stomp the enemy player in the end or die a glorious, flaming death!

• Locked thread