Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Jealousy level: maximum. The colours are absolutely stunning, gotta say.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kastein posted:

I'd be doing the same thing if I had enough land to actually take pictures of :v:

Seconded. I'm going to try and get some good pics this weekend while I'm out testing my winter hammock camping setup.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

apatite posted:

Hey, thanks! The thread might be a little disjointed. I applaud anyone that can make it through from the beginning at this point :)

I made it through just last week and it's actually pretty coherent for a progress thread. I'm really impressed, I wish we had any land at all like that in Central Florida that wasn't literally a swamp for most of the year. Living in an apartment isn't really for me.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Jeherrin posted:

Jealousy level: maximum. The colours are absolutely stunning, gotta say.

Yes, love it. :neckbeard: Thanks for the update, apatite.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Hey thanks everybody! It got down to 29F (-1.6667C) last night so we started the second wood fire of the season. I was hoping to hold out until November to start burning wood regularly but that's how it goes.

apatite fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 7, 2016

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

apatite posted:

Speaking of firewood.... Actuary X... are you still with us buddy? Haven't heard from you in a while!!

Yes, I have been out of touch for a while and now I have a sad tale of woe.

Back in the summer, I managed to catch Lyme disease. Not at the cabin, but from going to a music festival and dancing around in the rain and sleeping in a wet tent. The girlfriend also contracted Lyme disease.

At that point we were close to having enough wood cut for the winter, but didn't know what shape we would be in physically by winter. Therefore I went and bought a house that has a combination oil / wood burning heating system. No more concerns about freezing to death.

We are now over the Lyme (it takes a while).

However the girlfriend and I have had a bad falling out and are broken up. (Sparing you the many sordid details here.) The cabin and the land are hers (as they always were) and I am now living in a house by myself a mile away.

Being a cheap house, it needs a whole lot of fixing up and I am doing as much work as I was on the cabin, ripping out carpets, redoing hardwood floors, fixing windows and dealing with mold. I am not in a cabin, but I still have an acre of land that will be garden come spring.

The moral of the story, I guess, if there is one, is to be nice to your girlfriend. Or be careful about ticks. Something like that.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Actuary X posted:

Yes, I have been out of touch for a while and now I have a sad tale of woe.

Back in the summer, I managed to catch Lyme disease. Not at the cabin, but from going to a music festival and dancing around in the rain and sleeping in a wet tent. The girlfriend also contracted Lyme disease.

At that point we were close to having enough wood cut for the winter, but didn't know what shape we would be in physically by winter. Therefore I went and bought a house that has a combination oil / wood burning heating system. No more concerns about freezing to death.

We are now over the Lyme (it takes a while).

However the girlfriend and I have had a bad falling out and are broken up. (Sparing you the many sordid details here.) The cabin and the land are hers (as they always were) and I am now living in a house by myself a mile away.

Being a cheap house, it needs a whole lot of fixing up and I am doing as much work as I was on the cabin, ripping out carpets, redoing hardwood floors, fixing windows and dealing with mold. I am not in a cabin, but I still have an acre of land that will be garden come spring.

The moral of the story, I guess, if there is one, is to be nice to your girlfriend. Or be careful about ticks. Something like that.

Oh... Oh man :( Sorry to hear about all of it. I've had two ticks embedded deep in my skin in the past week, so we are probably fist-bumping lyme disease bros at this point if it makes you feel any better :cry: :hf: :cry:

Glad to hear you have a positive outlook and the land to have a garden. I've started drinking tons of vitamin-d fortified milk already in an attempt to stave off the serious winter depression. It probably won't work but might help a little

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

apatite posted:

Oh... Oh man :( Sorry to hear about all of it. I've had two ticks embedded deep in my skin in the past week, so we are probably fist-bumping lyme disease bros at this point if it makes you feel any better :cry: :hf: :cry:
I certainly hope you don't have it. If you get that bull's eye rash at the site, then you definitely have it and need to get on antibiotics right away.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Actuary X posted:

I certainly hope you don't have it. If you get that bull's eye rash at the site, then you definitely have it and need to get on antibiotics right away.

This. Do not pass go, do not gently caress around, go to the hospital.

Fun fact! The medication they give you has a potential side effect... photosensitivity! Not vastly common though, that one.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Jeherrin posted:

This. Do not pass go, do not gently caress around, go to the hospital.

Fun fact! The medication they give you has a potential side effect... photosensitivity! Not vastly common though, that one.

Had a friend who had lyme disease. He wasn't aware he had it until he suffered a stroke due to it. No permanent damage per se, but half of his face was paralyzed/droopy for 3 months and during that three months he was on antibiotics via self-administered IVs. Fun stuff!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
The bull's eye rash (erythema chronicum migrans) can be completely absent on up to 30% of those infected with Lyme disease, or can be a different rash altogether. No need to go to the hospital, you can see your family doctor and get a course of doxycycline, which can cause some side effects like photosensitivity and GI upset, as noted, but is generally a really well tolerated medication. The really bad issues with Lyme disease come from not treating it promptly, when it can cause permanent damage to the heart and some other organs, and becomes harder to treat. It's a weird and potentially bad infection, but not something that's going to kill you quickly and is easily managed if caught in time.

What ^^^^ your friend had wasn't a stroke, but was a Bell's Palsy, which is caused by inflammatory damage to the facial nerve and is a classic finding in secondary Lyme disease.

The other tick-borne illness you need to watch for is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which has been identified up in the northeast. If you have a tick bite and then develop fever, muscle aches, and a spotted rash on your wrists/palms/soles, go to a doctor right away. You can most definitely die from RMSF if it's not treated quickly.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Be sure to check areas you rarely look at to ensure no straggler ticks are carried over. I've found on myself: between my leg and my pubes, behind the knee, behind my earlobes and on the small of my back. I only found them casually as I was rubbing these areas and found they tickled. Cedron seed tea which I posted earlier in the thread can help but its not 100% effective.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Laminator posted:

and get a course of doxycycline, which can cause some side effects like photosensitivity and GI upset, as noted, but is generally a really well tolerated medication.

Ha, almost wrote something about my photosensitivity when I was on doxycycline when someone mentioned that as a side effect, but thought it'd be a really off topic post, not realize it was also used to treat Lyme disease. I had it as an anti-malarial when I was in Cambodia and Laos, but quit taking it because the side effects were a PITA (also it was the dry season and there like zero mosquitoes about). I could see it not mattering under normal conditions, but I was out and about so much that I'd get lobsterfied super-easy.

I wound up getting dengue fever a few years later in Thailand, which wasn't fun, but I'd take it over malaria any day.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I just discovered that any idealistic desire I might have to quit my job and move out into dozens of acres of wilderness can be quite effectively reduced by stories of disease-ridden ticks embedded in one's crotch.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Wow! Thanks for the info and concern everybody :)

z0331 posted:

I just discovered that any idealistic desire I might have to quit my job and move out into dozens of acres of wilderness can be quite effectively reduced by stories of disease-ridden ticks embedded in one's crotch.

Or your rear end!

We also have spiders. Lots and lots of loving spiders.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Quick note: those are bumblebees, not honey bees, so you won't find any wild honey by tracking them. A bumblebee hive only makes a couple ounces of honey for the whole year.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Laminator posted:

The bull's eye rash (erythema chronicum migrans) can be completely absent on up to 30% of those infected with Lyme disease, or can be a different rash altogether. No need to go to the hospital, you can see your family doctor and get a course of doxycycline, which can cause some side effects like photosensitivity and GI upset, as noted, but is generally a really well tolerated medication.
I went through two courses of two weeks of Doxy, and it's as bad as the disease (in the short term). It's not nothing to be on it. As for photo sensitivity, my then-girlfriend was out in direct sun light one day for 15 min to a half hour and got a burn on her hand that lasted over a week. A serious burn, like blistering.

quote:

The other tick-borne illness you need to watch for is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which has been identified up in the northeast. If you have a tick bite and then develop fever, muscle aches, and a spotted rash on your wrists/palms/soles, go to a doctor right away. You can most definitely die from RMSF if it's not treated quickly.
Fortunately, the treatment for RMSF is also a course of Doxy, so it's not that critical to determine which you have.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

z0331 posted:

The faster you strip down and do a tick check, the less time they have to get really embedded and the less time to give you diseases.

Once you've pulled one from your corona, every tick after that is a relief.

Thankfully, we've got mostly Lone Star and Dog ticks out here.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

joat mon posted:

The faster you strip down and do a tick check, the less time they have to get really embedded and the less time to give you diseases.

for some reason I want a beer now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

joat mon posted:

Cornea?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Ticks in my beer would be the last straw. Burn this motherfucker to the ground!

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
I'm 2nding or 3rding the lyme disease care stuff. It helped to kill my family dog and gave a very close family friend the bell palsy thing mentioned above, it's been almost a year and a half and she still has trouble with tiredness, especially after a minor relapse earlier this year. If you notice a tick and feel sick at ALL go to a loving doctor please.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Corona of the glans penis

Oh look! Autumn!

No comparison to the northeast

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

joat mon posted:

Corona of the glans penis
Nothing like a tick in your dick

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
All I have to say is Guinea fowl love ticks. Absolute favorite food ever.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
While apatite frantically gets ready for winter and this thread's in lull, there's a nice fresh thread about Finnish house building in ask/tell. Should appeal to most goons reading DIY, wouldn't want it to get overlooked.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

iv46vi posted:

While apatite frantically gets ready for winter and this thread's in lull, there's a nice fresh thread about Finnish house building in ask/tell. Should appeal to most goons reading DIY, wouldn't want it to get overlooked.

Link for the mobile users:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575175

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Awesome!

Progress is progress!

apatite fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm just gonna chime in with the "I read this entire thread over the last few days and you are awesome" crowd. Lyme disease scares notwithstanding, you are living one hell of a dream here, Apatite. I hope your future challenges fall as your past ones have.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm just gonna chime in with the "I read this entire thread over the last few days and you are awesome" crowd. Lyme disease scares notwithstanding, you are living one hell of a dream here, Apatite. I hope your future challenges fall as your past ones have.

Many thanks :cheers:

Here is what I woke up to this morning:

Needless to say, we are as always not ready for it. Impending wintery-doom notwithstanding, we shall plod along.

Got this hatchet head for free a couple years ago and fitted a crude maple handle to it last winter. Just debarked (no pics) and will finish it this winter while sitting inside during the real cold days.

Even though this is dense "untamed" wilderness we often get smacked in the face with evidence that we are not exactly pioneers. While sitting on the steps one day I saw something poking out of the dirt right in front of me. It turned out to be this guy:

No matter where you are, someone else has already been there. Just a friendly reminder of how small the earth is I guess :)

Have gone out to "still-hunt" whitetail deer a couple of times, which basically means sitting in the woods enjoying some alone time. Here's a couple pics from one spot

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

apatite posted:

Even though this is dense "untamed" wilderness we often get smacked in the face with evidence that we are not exactly pioneers. While sitting on the steps one day I saw something poking out of the dirt right in front of me. It turned out to be this guy:

At first glance I thought this was a used condom. :barf:

e: vv :stonk:

upsciLLion fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 31, 2013

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

joat mon posted:

Oh look! Autumn!

No comparison to the northeast

Missed this somehow. Looks good to me, mon!

upsciLLion posted:

At first glance I thought this was a used condom. :barf:

Look again, I think you will find that is exactly what it is :dong:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Well I've been doing lots of things but none of it is very picture worthy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I like to make a mark every few feet, then lay it out straight on the ground, put a 2x6 or other wideish board over it, line one edge of the board up over the marks, then kneel on the board and cut along the edge. Can usually cut all the way through with a single pass, since it's compressed.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Buy the insulation that's marked with a grid of crosses at 10cm intervals? (I thought it all came like that, perhaps it only does in europe)

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

kastein posted:

I like to make a mark every few feet, then lay it out straight on the ground, put a 2x6 or other wideish board over it, line one edge of the board up over the marks, then kneel on the board and cut along the edge. Can usually cut all the way through with a single pass, since it's compressed.

Compressing it before you cut it is the only way to go! One slice and you're done. I insulated my entire 2,000 sq foot house using this method and I can't think of a quicker way to cut it. I built my house with 2x6 walls so it was thicker insulation too. I also put 2 layers of insulation in the attic (1 ft. ea) so I am a little bit crazy when it comes to insulation.

Apatite, I just have to say that I just read through this thread and I am in love with what you have going on. I am totally jealous of your lifestyle but I'm defenitely not tough enough pull it off. I have my house in the woods on 10 acres but I also have electricity, propane and a well and septic field.

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 8, 2013

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Modus Man posted:

I have my house in the woods on 10 acres ....

We don't believe you. Pics pls :colbert:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kafkasgoldfish posted:

We don't believe you. Pics pls :colbert:

Yes, please

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
The link to cheap hardware cloth would be appreciated. Building a chicken coop and need something stronger than poultry wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

dwoloz posted:

The link to cheap hardware cloth would be appreciated. Building a chicken coop and need something stronger than poultry wire

This stuff is $1/ft for 3ftx50ft rolls, whereas the stuff i bought from $GIANTBOXSTORE was $2/ft for 3ftx20ft rolls

http://www.amazon.com/Mat-Midwest-3...+hardware+cloth

• Locked thread