Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shrughes posted:

Those are fast write speeds.

Those numbers seem like they should be unsustainable. On the other hand, if you've got a reliably battery-backed system then writes can have lower latency than reads. I bet you a benchmark that avoided read latency in all forms they would be closer to equal in speed.

For comparison, last year's Vaio Z could read at 950 MB/s but only write at 450 MB/s or something -- it had a 2x SATA III raid 0.

The 256GB drive reads/writes in the low 700's
The 128GB drive reads in the low 700's but only writes in the low 300's

http://blog.macsales.com/19008-performance-testing-not-all-2013-macbook-air-ssds-are-the-same

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

http://blog.macsales.com/19008-performance-testing-not-all-2013-macbook-air-ssds-are-the-same

Samsung wins again?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

etalian posted:

Samsung wins again?

I believe so. The teardown of the 13" rMBP 128 says it has a Marvell controller. Those have been slower than the proprietary one samsung uses. At least in their pro series ssds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Aww gently caress, well now I'm debating my original desktop/13" rMBP plan.

Why don't I get a 15" rMBP instead of a desktop? And instead of selling off my Air, I just get the battery fixed and keep it as my ultraportable....or I sell it and pick up a refurb 2013?....maybe even an 11" one?

I mean, sure a self-built desktop would be more powerful for the cost, but an rMBP would be portable...you know, for portability.

Auuuugh...this is hard :ohdear:.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the cost between a rMBP and a Refurb 2013 11" Air + a refurb 2012 21.5" iMac

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it's easier to manage and back up your poo poo when you use one computer. I would go for the RMBP 15". That's what I would get if I were in the market for a computer.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Bob Morales posted:

Did you mean to say 512GB instead of 256GB, or are you referring to data elsewhere than in the article?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

What's the cost between a rMBP and a Refurb 2013 11" Air + a refurb 2012 21.5" iMac

I get what you're suggesting, but there really isn't a refurb-available 21.5" iMac that would truly suffice spec-wise. I'd have to look at the 27"- which is gorgeous and comes with its own massive display and I could get similar power out of it for substantially less than a $2400 rMBP (or notably more power new for roughly $200 less), but then I'd lose out on the "pick-it-up-and-move-it-when-you-want-to" (it's also worth noting that the 15" rMBP isn't that big and cumbersome- I think it might actually weigh less than my old BlackBook. I'm just spoiled from using an Air for 2 years).

And if we're playing that game, then why not just go with the original "self-built Windows desktop + Air/13" rMBP" route? I mean, the only legitimate benefits to the 15" rMBP option are workstation portability and consolidation of all of my poo poo.

The other-other option is to park an rMBP on my desk and use an iPad Air/Mini for portable browsing and trucking to class/lab. At least I'd save a couple hundred bucks over an MBA (who am I kidding, I'll probably buy an iPad mini at some point in the next year regardless of whatever else I do).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 25, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Posting from 2007...

loving Apple and their 4GB/6GB limit on memory for the MBP 3.1. Every other C2D laptop I've owned or refurbed for friends/family could support 8GB.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Bob Morales posted:

You can't compare the write speed of a 512GB ssd to that of a 128GB ssd, even if the controllers were identical the 512GB would still be up to twice as fast.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Got a quote for my busted-rear end swollen battery MBP (claim came to almost $1000 after the genius realized that the logic board is also dead as a result). Turns out that State Farm wanted the root cause of the failure because they will deny any claim that is due to "manufacturer's defect." It seems like semantics whether this was manufacturer's defect or accidental damage--I guess the initial battery failure was due to a short circuit, but that short circuit was the result of the super-depleted battery from my leaving my computer on my desk for a couple weeks. Also is it a defect if it does this by design? Is neglect considered accidental damage? If I had noticed this quickly (and not after 2 weeks), I could have just pulled the battery more quickly and likely avoided all of the mechanical damage to the laptop.

Seems like some semantical bullshit since I have this thing covered against "all perils."

E: they'll pay the claim. I think this all came down to the guy honestly having no idea what to write in the paperwork. Given that it's late on a Friday afternoon, I'm guessing he decided to do me a favor and is now enjoying an after-work beverage.

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 26, 2013

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone else dealing with the SSD recall: I just got a phone call from the Apple store and instead of having me wait three weeks for a backordered SSD, they're just going to give me a new MBA. I live in Phoenix, btw.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
^^^ Or maybe they're calling people proactively!

So apparently Apple is outright replacing Macbook Airs affected by the SSD issue. If anyone has theirs in for repair, I suggest you stop in ASAP, since the policy seems to be "if they ask and the wait is too long". The Genius I spoke with said the delay for a new part is about 3 weeks.

However, I asked if I instead of getting a replacement, I could pay the difference for an upgrade to the the new rMBP, so that's what I'm typing on right now. :circlefap:

Best hardware failure ever.

EDIT: They also didn't ask for my power adapter back, so free spare!

EDIT #2: If you're getting a replacement, bring your old box if you have it. They'll keep the box from the new one if you don't have the old one.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 26, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

clockworx posted:

However, I asked if I instead of getting a replacement, I could pay the difference for an upgrade to the the new rMBP, so that's what I'm typing on right now. :circlefap:

:aaaaa: gently caress you.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Is there a fan in the 27" iMac? It kind of sounds like a fan, or is it just a noisy hdd?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I just read this and ran 10 blocks out of my way to see for myself.

My genius du jour said it's only for those that take more than 14 days to repair, so I have 7 days to wait.

He was so happy for me he didn't seem sympathetic to the fact I had already gone several weeks without because I couldn't afford the out of warranty price. My plea was denied on appeal because the genius who first looked at it weeks ago didn't log my visit.

If I had my pick I'd take my old one back now over a new one next week. But I can't really complain.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Ninja Rope posted:

Is there a fan in the 27" iMac? It kind of sounds like a fan, or is it just a noisy hdd?

fan

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

porkface posted:

I just read this and ran 10 blocks out of my way to see for myself.

My genius du jour said it's only for those that take more than 14 days to repair, so I have 7 days to wait.

He was so happy for me he didn't seem sympathetic to the fact I had already gone several weeks without because I couldn't afford the out of warranty price. My plea was denied on appeal because the genius who first looked at it weeks ago didn't log my visit.

If I had my pick I'd take my old one back now over a new one next week. But I can't really complain.

Why would you have to wait? Mine was in for exactly 1 week, and they predicted 2 more weeks, and replaced based on that. I would think they're able to predict how long it will take and not make you wait the entire period.

Your genius du jour might not have been too smart. I was immediately directed to speak to a "Genius Admin" who was awesome and immediately told me "Here's what we're going to do" without me even having to ask.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

clockworx posted:

So apparently Apple is outright replacing Macbook Airs affected by the SSD issue. If anyone has theirs in for repair, I suggest you stop in ASAP, since the policy seems to be "if they ask and the wait is too long". The Genius I spoke with said the delay for a new part is about 3 weeks.

EDIT #2: If you're getting a replacement, bring your old box if you have it. They'll keep the box from the new one if you don't have the old one.

Wait really? I asked about paying the difference for an rMBP and was told they couldn't do it. I still walked out with a brand new laptop though, can't really complain.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Just got my 13" rMBP (1 day from China to California. WOW) and god drat the screen. I'm so in love with this thing. Everything is so smooth and the trackpad gestures are so convenient. Why did it take me so long to make the switch?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Demented Guy posted:

Just got my 13" rMBP (1 day from China to California. WOW) and god drat the screen. I'm so in love with this thing. Everything is so smooth and the trackpad gestures are so convenient. Why did it take me so long to make the switch?

drat! How the hell did you get it so soon? I'm in California and mine just shipped today (16GB/512GB) and is estimated to be delivered on Tuesday.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I have been having a weird problem with my new 13" rMBP, every couple of hours something happens and the keyboard and trackpad freeze and become unresponsive. Everything else is still working in the background but I can't move the mouse or type. The only way to fix it has been to turn the machine on and off. Searching google shows people having similar issues but but that was due to old batteries swelling or drivers playing up with external devices. Don't really know what to do fix it.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT

fookolt posted:

drat! How the hell did you get it so soon? I'm in California and mine just shipped today (16GB/512GB) and is estimated to be delivered on Tuesday.

It was originally scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. Then it was moved to Monday. Then when I checked earlier in the morning, the item is out for delivery and now I have it. Worth every penny.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This Mac Pro better be fully specced out for the expected price:

imnotinsane posted:

I have been having a weird problem with my new 13" rMBP, every couple of hours something happens and the keyboard and trackpad freeze and become unresponsive. Everything else is still working in the background but I can't move the mouse or type. The only way to fix it has been to turn the machine on and off. Searching google shows people having similar issues but but that was due to old batteries swelling or drivers playing up with external devices. Don't really know what to do fix it.
Got any third party USB drivers? I've heard of something similar happening with Logitech and Steermouse, possibly something else with external drives (and related drivers) in another case.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

eames posted:

I found a site with a decent list of game benchmarks and narrowed it down to the current rMBP GPUs while we wait for benchmarks.
Take the results with a grain of salt because some of them are all over the place, but it’s better than nothing!

http://bit.ly/1acAWwX

I sure hope the Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 runs DoTA2 10 FPS higher than the NVIDIA 750m.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Why is the body of my MBA so weird to the touch while charging?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

japtor posted:

This Mac Pro better be fully specced out for the expected price:

That got me wondering, are any computers in MoMA? The Mac Pro seems like it could end up there some day.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

KATY PERRY posted:

Why is the body of my MBA so weird to the touch while charging?

Do you mean like a tingly sensation when you run your fingers over the aluminium?

If that's the case, it's just a tiny amount of current running over the body - not enough to harm you.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Kidney Stone posted:

Do you mean like a tingly sensation when you run your fingers over the aluminium?

If that's the case, it's just a tiny amount of current running over the body - not enough to harm you.

It shouldn't do that, though. I've had a MBA and currently have an rMBP. Take it the the Apple store and have them look at it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Josh Lyman posted:

That got me wondering, are any computers in MoMA? The Mac Pro seems like it could end up there some day.

Only the best Macs Apple ever made.
http://www.moma.org/collection/artist.php?artist_id=10295

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

I am kinda shocked the Twentieth Anniversary Mac isn't in there. I STILL lust after one of those.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Which museum had a G4 cube? Because the new Pro is basically the modern version of that.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

japtor posted:

Got any third party USB drivers? I've heard of something similar happening with Logitech and Steermouse, possibly something else with external drives (and related drivers) in another case.

It's a brand new computer, haven't installed any additional drivers, only use the keyboard and trackpad on the macbook. Thought it might be a time thing so I left it go but after 40 minutes or so it still happening. Plugged in a USB keyboard and a USB mouse - no change still couldnt control it. The computer is still going though (spotify keeps playing new songs)

Edit, put the lid down and left it alone for about 10 minutes and came back to it working.

imnotinsane fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 26, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's no swing arm iMac. A terrible museum.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FCKGW posted:

There's no swing arm iMac. A terrible museum.

I still have nightmares about working on those. A computer whose logic board could go bad if you set it down too roughly, aaaargh!

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
I got one of the new retina 15 inch MacBook Pros. I'm very happy with it. For whoever was asking earlier, so far it only turns on the discrete GPU for gaming which is exactly what I wanted it to do. I haven't tested yet whether it turns on for photo editing or stuff like that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

clockworx posted:

Any idea if this is a genius bar thing, or is there a chance my local authorized repair place will have a reason to this instead of just waiting for an ssd?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Posting from 2007...

loving Apple and their 4GB/6GB limit on memory for the MBP 3.1. Every other C2D laptop I've owned or refurbed for friends/family could support 8GB.

Yeah, I got burned on that recently. My MBP died and I got a loaner C2D from someone. I was hoping I could at least stick 8GB and there, but nope.

clockworx posted:

I was immediately directed to speak to a "Genius Admin" who was awesome and immediately told me "Here's what we're going to do" without me even having to ask.

I love those guys. I think they're the last vestige of the forgotten days where "Geniuses" were actually trained, salaried tech support professionals.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mr. Despair posted:

Any idea if this is a genius bar thing, or is there a chance my local authorized repair place will have a reason to this instead of just waiting for an ssd?

I just called my local repair place and they couldn't even give me a quote on the eta, they weren't helpful at all really. That's what I get for living in bumfuck nowhere :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

I just called my local repair place and they couldn't even give me a quote on the eta, they weren't helpful at all really. That's what I get for living in bumfuck nowhere :argh:

Maybe call Apple about shipping it in for repair, and feel them out? it sounds like an Apple policy, so you might have better luck talking directly to them.