Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Thank you for the world's best recommendation. It is legitimately awesome and my cat adjusted with no complaints. It doesn't smell at all like, further than 3 feet from the room. Hurray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pie.rat
Jul 1, 2007

C45H74O10

Huntersoninski posted:

Well, my worst nightmare happened last night - I discovered blood in the litter box. At first I panicked because I wasn't sure how to tell which cat was responsible, and they were both eating/acting like normal...then I noticed Pizza straining at his box.

One trip to the emergency vet later, and he's been given an antibiotic shot and a tentative diagnosis of UTI...not 100% sure because no sample could be obtained (which the vet said was good in a way - he was able to empty his bladder and there was no temperature at least). Took Pete in to the normal vet this afternoon but they couldn't get a sample either - he'd wet his carrier on the way over. So now we have to take the poor boy in first thing in the morning and leave him at the vets all day so they can get a good sample and run tests.

What do I do now? Pizza has always been a good drinker, and we've just bought him a fountain which will hopefully help. We've been adding water to his kibble, which he eats, but he won't touch wet food. He's had access to it for a year now but consistently sniffs then tries to bury it. Which is odd considering he's a fatty who will rapidly consume just about anything else you let him.

Is there any kind of...I dunno, water additive or vitamin or something I can look into to help him from getting more bladder issues? I'm so worried I could puke, I haven't been able to think of anything else all day. He's still eating, drinking, playing, and cuddling/purring, but the pee is red and he strains and I worry so much I just don't know what to do. I hope I caught it early enough but my poor guy, I just have no idea what to do.

Pizza :(
I actually came here to stress about my cat's pee problems :( I have a male cat who had similar symptoms to yours about 4 years ago. I brought him to the vet and never got a firm answer on the root cause (common with these issues, unfortunately), but in my cat it was almost certainly caused by stress. Have there been any big changes in your schedule or in anything else for the cats? A specially formulated diet may help prevent this interview future (as four lean hounds said). I hope Pizza feels better soon.

My similar question for the thread is about my 5-year old neutered male cat. He had a sudden blockage on Monday night that turned out to be crystals. The vet flushed his bladder and believes he rinsed out all of the crystals. My cat has always been bad for not drinking but he does eat a primarily wet food diet (I leave out a small amount of dry food because my hours can be weird, but my other cat is the one who munches most often). Anyway, my cat is now on Hills urinary s/o, and he has prazosin to relax the urinary muscles, as well as buprenorphine for pain. Overall he is acting like himself and eating well, but he still seems to be struggling to pee. It seems like he needs two or three tries before he pees successfully, with the first attempts producing only a tiny amount of urine or nothing at all from what I can see. Is this normal? Is he likely just still inflamed from his crystals and junk? I called the vet this morning and the tech I spoke with wasn't concerned, but I can't stop worrying about my pal. If he's still acting like this tomorrow I'll call the vet again. I just want him to be okay :ohdear:

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Pretty proud that my cats got to the front page of the r/Funny Reddit page, I never really post on there, but I had to share this pic I took last weekend when my cats got hoped up on catnip and were trying to get into this Dr Pepper Box. They're pretty chubby so it usually involved them running into it and dragging it with the head stuck into it until they hit a wall and could finally push forward.
Anyways, here's Snipes (For short, long name Wesley Snipes) on the left and Rasputin in the box.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

floofyscorp posted:

I've read about cleaners for cloth and carpets which is grand, but 90% of our house is wooden floors(actual wood, not laminate) and I'm not sure what type of cleaner for cat-accidents would work best on that. I'm about to pop out to our local pet supply shop and will ask them if they have any ideas, but I figured this would be a good place to ask too. I'm in the UK so products available here would be preferable!

Johnson's clean 'n' safe for cats has always worked well for us. They sell it at Pets-at-Home and probably other pet stores too. I usually shop at PaH because, while I like to support local non-chain stores, our local pet shop sells puppies and kittens and I don't like to support that and it makes me sad seeing them. I don't work for them, but as I seem to be shilling for them anyway: PaH also sell world's best cat litter, some high quality cat foods that you don't see elsewhere in the UK and pretty decent cat trees for around £45.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 24, 2013

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Huntersoninski posted:

What do I do now? Pizza has always been a good drinker, and we've just bought him a fountain which will hopefully help. We've been adding water to his kibble, which he eats, but he won't touch wet food. He's had access to it for a year now but consistently sniffs then tries to bury it. Which is odd considering he's a fatty who will rapidly consume just about anything else you let him.

Is there any kind of...I dunno, water additive or vitamin or something I can look into to help him from getting more bladder issues? I'm so worried I could puke, I haven't been able to think of anything else all day. He's still eating, drinking, playing, and cuddling/purring, but the pee is red and he strains and I worry so much I just don't know what to do. I hope I caught it early enough but my poor guy, I just have no idea what to do.

Pizza :(
I have this problem right now and it's driving me nuts. He won't drink out of anything except when I put water into his dry food. He's a fatty too so it's weird for him to not finish his wet food like he used to before his UTI.

I've replaced his water bowl like 3 times and used a fountain and nothing's worked. I'll try putting a water bowl in different places around the house.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
The word is in...no evidence of a Uti...but evidence of crystals. :( :( :( :( :(

Proscription food purchased, I hope he likes it because it may be forever.

My poor boy I feel awful

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Huntersoninski posted:

The word is in...no evidence of a Uti...but evidence of crystals. :( :( :( :( :(

Proscription food purchased, I hope he likes it because it may be forever.

My poor boy I feel awful

I'm sorry. I've had to go through multiple prescription food changes with my picky cat who had crystals. So if you can't get him to eat what you have, you can talk to your vet about other options for him as well. There are several brands that make prescriptions for crystal prevention these days. Good luck.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So my cat just got diarrhea (not related to the litterbox question, it's still in my room, just a slightly different place). She went in the litterbox thankfully, but got some on her paws and belly I think since it was a closed litterbox. So I had to give her a little bath.

I know new food can cause that to happen, but what kind of delay would that have? She's been on like ~50/50 new/old food for like a week or more. I just recently (a few days ago) stopped putting in the old food since I'm running out, is that probably the cause? I also gave her a bunch of treats yesterday, too. I was vacuuming with her in the room at the time and she ran out and did the deed, so maybe I scared her into pooping.

Do they usually make it to litterboxes when they get sick? I can deal with cleaning it out of a box but I just don't want to wash her down again. And I don't want to mop up my floor.

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012
I'm worried my new cat won't start to use the litter box. These idiots left him in this sun room with his mother and sister and the whole place was their bathroom. Disgusting. But I want to make sure he starts using it. I put him in the box but he doesn't seem to notice it. Are there other methods to introduce him to the box?

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

DixielandDelight posted:

I'm worried my new cat won't start to use the litter box. These idiots left him in this sun room with his mother and sister and the whole place was their bathroom. Disgusting. But I want to make sure he starts using it. I put him in the box but he doesn't seem to notice it. Are there other methods to introduce him to the box?

Here are some tips from the ASPCA:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/remedial-litter-box-training

I would for certain keep the cat in a single room (preferably a bathroom) until reliable litter use is proven. You can get litter called "Cat Attract" or something similar to help the process. Be patient, and never let the litter box become a negative place for the cat. Hopefully the cat will have a drive to bury its waste and that will naturally lead it to use the litter box.

Make sure you have plenty of litter boxes around the house (typically # of cats +1) and get some enzymatic cleaner for any accidents that might crop up.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

Eeyo posted:

So my cat just got diarrhea (not related to the litterbox question, it's still in my room, just a slightly different place). She went in the litterbox thankfully, but got some on her paws and belly I think since it was a closed litterbox. So I had to give her a little bath.

I know new food can cause that to happen, but what kind of delay would that have? She's been on like ~50/50 new/old food for like a week or more. I just recently (a few days ago) stopped putting in the old food since I'm running out, is that probably the cause? I also gave her a bunch of treats yesterday, too. I was vacuuming with her in the room at the time and she ran out and did the deed, so maybe I scared her into pooping.

Do they usually make it to litterboxes when they get sick? I can deal with cleaning it out of a box but I just don't want to wash her down again. And I don't want to mop up my floor.

When Toast was having diarrhea, he went right outside the litterbox, but that might have been because I had been in the middle of scooping. :downs: Whether they can make it to the box or not probably depends on how severe the diarrhea is.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pizza likes the RX food. I'm getting him transitioned this weekend. I set up the new fountain. He's been curious about it but hasn't drunk from it yet (Ozma has and loves it). I add water to his kibble at meals and I have seen him drinking from his bowl. He got the 10 day antibiotic shot a couple days ago.

He is still going back to his box over and over and producing little. there is still some blood there. What more can I do? How much time should this take? This week has nearly killed me with worry

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
As my female cat has aged (she's 20 now) I've always been paranoid about kidney stuff, and I suffer from kidney stones myself, so I just went full Jewish granny and asked my vet to ask his colleagues and let me speak to a vet who had passed a kidney stone, so I could ask just how much pain is involved in cat crystals in case Teddy gets them. He said obviously it depends on the stone and the person and the crystals and the cat, but that he thinks that passing crystals is easier than passing a kidney stone, but it's still very painful and will obvi cause some tears in the cats urinary tract. I have painfully pissed blood for two weeks after passing a kidney stone, so I wouldn't stress out too much about blood yet. Passing solids where only liquids should go is brutal, and it takes time to recover, especially if you're a cat and you don't know what the gently caress is going on because you're a dumb cat. If he's drinking, he's doing. Just keep him drinking and trick him into having more water by microwaving some kibble and water and mashing it like beans.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 25, 2013

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Eeyo posted:

Teddy had diarrhea for a while (she got it from taking the wrong antibiotics for a foot infection, and then the poops were corrected by a different antibiotic) and she would poo just outside the litterbox because she would keep moving backwards when she was trying to poo, I think in an effort to shake it out. She was quite ill, she'd lost a lot of weight because of the infection (we eventually had the toe amputated, and now I tease her and say TEDDY WHERE'S YOUR TOE HOW DID YOU LOSE YOUR TOE WHERE IS IT), but she always made the effort to poo poo in the box even if she missed.

To be honest I'm not down with covered litterboxes, ever. Cats bury their dirty business because they're afraid of getting caught, don't force them to do it in an enclosed space with one exit. That seems like asking them to poo poo on your stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Huntersoninski posted:

Pizza likes the RX food. I'm getting him transitioned this weekend. I set up the new fountain. He's been curious about it but hasn't drunk from it yet (Ozma has and loves it). I add water to his kibble at meals and I have seen him drinking from his bowl. He got the 10 day antibiotic shot a couple days ago.

He is still going back to his box over and over and producing little. there is still some blood there. What more can I do? How much time should this take? This week has nearly killed me with worry

Crystals will take a minute to dissolve. Does he have the heavy duty get rid of crystals food or the urinary maintenance? The heavy duty stuff gets rid of it faster I think (dissolution is one brand). One of our cats is on hill's c/d for life, which is like a long term urinary tract problem prevention food, and she is perfectly happy.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
He's on urinary s/o...dunno which that is. he seems to like it but he never had a kibble he didn't. I'd love for him to try the canned version but no dice.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
Any tips on helping a fraidy cat cope with a dog? I have two other cats that get along fine with the dog, but new cat is scared of her. She lived with dogs before, but smaller ones. The dog behaves well until the fraidy cat growls and then takes a swipe at her, at which point the dog goes "Yay this is fun!" and tries to make an exciting game of chase.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Geno posted:

I've replaced his water bowl like 3 times and used a fountain and nothing's worked. I'll try putting a water bowl in different places around the house.

Have you tried leaving a bowl out for ages so it gets kinda gross? We had a cat that would only drink old water, never fresh tap water. We came to the conclusion that he didn't like the chlorine. Old rain water from a bucket outside was his favourite. He also preferred glasses or mugs to cat bowls so he had his own mug full of slightly rank water. Cats are weird.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 25, 2013

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Welp, a while back in this thread I posted about 2 cats that I have. One of them was hoarding all of the food and the other didn't want anything to do with the big cat since he always got beat up. All he wanted to do is crawl into my lap and purr the day away. Well, today I found out why. Turns out that he has FIP.

gently caress you, nature. I want to go clear cut some forrest now.

All I can do now is wait and comfort the little guy until the inevitable happens. Fleabuscuit, you were an awesome kitten and the most friendly, loving cat that I've ever known.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Any tips on dealing with a lazy shorthair who refuses to clean his gross catbutt? v:butt:v

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Rodent Mortician posted:

Any tips on helping a fraidy cat cope with a dog? I have two other cats that get along fine with the dog, but new cat is scared of her. She lived with dogs before, but smaller ones. The dog behaves well until the fraidy cat growls and then takes a swipe at her, at which point the dog goes "Yay this is fun!" and tries to make an exciting game of chase.

Tether the dog until you can be absolutely sure it won't chase her. The fear behavior's self-reinforcing, and way easier to train the dog that cat hisses at them = they look at you and get a piece of cheese than to train the cat to not be afraid. Once the dog's not chasing her, the fear behavior should abate.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Engineer Lenk posted:

Tether the dog until you can be absolutely sure it won't chase her. The fear behavior's self-reinforcing, and way easier to train the dog that cat hisses at them = they look at you and get a piece of cheese than to train the cat to not be afraid. Once the dog's not chasing her, the fear behavior should abate.
We didn't have to tether our dog when we got our new cat/kitten but I agree with this. The dog's reaction is far easier to manage than the cat's fear.

An aside, I often see the term "dog savvy cat is okay" when it comes to shelter dogs up for adoption and never quite understood what it meant. At the time we adopted our dog we had two cats, both of which were dog stupid, not savvy. They were afraid of the dog and the dog was curious of them but after two times being told not to follow/chase the kitties the dog was fine with them. A few days later the cats were "oh, it won't eat us? cool!" and that was that. Sadly one of those two passed away and the buddy we got for our remaining cat is definitely, 100% NOT dog savvy. She thinks the dog is a toy. The dog does not agree.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

McDeth posted:

Welp, a while back in this thread I posted about 2 cats that I have. One of them was hoarding all of the food and the other didn't want anything to do with the big cat since he always got beat up. All he wanted to do is crawl into my lap and purr the day away. Well, today I found out why. Turns out that he has FIP.

gently caress you, nature. I want to go clear cut some forrest now.

All I can do now is wait and comfort the little guy until the inevitable happens. Fleabuscuit, you were an awesome kitten and the most friendly, loving cat that I've ever known.

I'm so sorry for your little guy. :( He looks like a big sweetheart.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Fruity Gordo posted:

To be honest I'm not down with covered litterboxes, ever. Cats bury their dirty business because they're afraid of getting caught, don't force them to do it in an enclosed space with one exit. That seems like asking them to poo poo on your stuff.

Oh yeah I was fine with my open ones (I figure they're easier to clean), but my roommate got the closed one. The cat didn't poop today as far as I know, so maybe it's not too bad.

Also good god did it smell awful. I just wanted to add that cat poo poo can literally fill the entire goddamn house with an awful, awful stench straight from the bowels of hell.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Huntersoninski posted:

He's on urinary s/o...dunno which that is. he seems to like it but he never had a kibble he didn't. I'd love for him to try the canned version but no dice.

That's the royal canin maintenance food I think. The one that gets rid of struvite crystals of that brand I think is s/d.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

I'm going to be getting two kittens but I haven't found them yet, I'm going through the whole buying accessories thing and read everything on the internet and this forum phase. I picked my food (Bozita Kitten) and litter (Extreme Classic) and ordered a clawing tree, toys, bowls, and a carrier. I have a dog that's 11 years old now and recently at a friends she decided to eat half the contents of the litter box. She puked all night and had bloody diarrhea for a week (because of the crystals) followed by constipation. She's better now and I was putting water in her dry food to keep her more hydrated.

This horrible experience led me to look at dog-proof litter boxes! Top entry seemed to be great, everyone else recommended a baby gate. I looked at the stores and found only one brand being sold over here for around 200 dollars, so... I decided I would make one instead. It cost me around 30 dollars and it's double the size. I'm pretty happy with it actually!

The plastic cracked at first and so I looked up other ways to cut through plastic-- melt it! So I got a blade really hot with my candle lighter and then was able to cut about a cm at a time. Then I put tape around the edges to protect the kittens from jagged plastic and then went over it one more time with tape to make it look nicer. Took me about two hours in total but I was taking it slow and listening to podcasts. I recommend it! I really hope the kittens will like and use it. I plan on making a second one soon. (I included the dog in the picture for scale-- she's around 5 kilos -- hope that's okay).

So I'm getting two kittens (I was only going to get one but learned that I should get two from this thread) and I'm looking for them to be minimum 12 weeks old. I was going to adopt and I went to look at some kittens a shelter had (there are a lot of cats here that need homes- most of them are sadly wild or half-wild). These kittens hissed, hid, and even scratched the woman trying to hold them. They weren't interested in playing or even sniffing me. Cats can give nasty bites, so worrying about my old, small, and too nice dog, I decided against it.

So I have the food, box, litter, scratchy thing, toys, bowls, and a carrier. I have my dog's nail clippers- will that work on the cats? Am I forgetting anything? I will be getting them vaccinated, wormed, and chipped as soon as I get them and then castrated/IDed at 6 months.

I was thinking I could keep the kittens in my room at the beginning so they can adjust and we can introduce them slowly to Chloe (the dog, who grew up with cats and mostly ignores them- its more for the kittens sake). Would I be able to slowly move the litter box to another room afterwards? I'm not sure I would enjoy having the litter box in my room after a while, but daily scooping and a full clean every two weeks should be great, right?

I also need to figure out if any of my plants are poisonous... and what my plants are called.

lorabel fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 26, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
things were going great transitioning Pizza to the RX food...until like an idiot I left the pantry door open last night (I'm so used to not having to close it - we keep the cats' normal food in a plastic bin because we learned Pizza does this) and he tore open the new cat food bag. This has happened before - he tears it open, eats some, then will never touch it again. I don't know if it just goes stale and he doesn't like it anymore, but we've had to waste a couple bags in the past because he stopped eating. Now it's happened with this and I'm beside myself because I can't just go get more, or a different brand! He didn't touch his breakfast. Whenever I move toward the kitchen he races me there like he's starving but he won't touch the new food (even mixed with his old food). The fucker still turns his nose up at canned food and I just don't know what to do. I called the vet asking for maybe a new prescription and a recommendation on where to go for other brands but she'll be calling me back.

I don't know what to do if he won't eat. He's still straining for long minutes at a time at his box to produce tiny tiny amounts of liquid. I know he's drinking, he's using the new fountain, he's drinking from his bowls god dammit if it turns out I killed my loving cat because I forgot to close the pantry door I don't even know what :(

God drat this loving cat

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
My cat Freya does that every single time I switch her food. She tries to bury it or just looks at me with this look that screams "wtf is this poo poo?". She usually gives up and eats the new food after a day and a half.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. My delightful little rear end in a top hat is super picky about her food until she gets hungry enough.

Most evenings she'll howl the house down when I get home because she can see the bottom of her bowl. If I then don't feed her, she eventually just eats the rest.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I need some cat advice. My girlfriend and I adopted a couple cats a little over a week ago. Well, actually we adopted the kitten (Robby, ~3 months old) and we're fostering an adult cat (Ricky, ~1-2 years old) with the hope of adopting him as well, assuming they both get along.

Things seem good, other than both of them wanting to eat the other's food and Ricky sometimes getting a little rough, in our eyes, when they play fight (no one's drawn blood and they sleep on the bed with us at night, so I figure they're okay together).

Unfortunately, my girlfriend seems to be having an issue with allergies. Now, we had a cat from the time we moved in together until he passed away suddenly back in May (he was 15 and threw a clot) and she never had an allergy to him. But this is to the point that I'm not sure we can keep either of them, which sucks. It doesn't make sense because she even works in a pet store (they don't sell pets there, but lots of people bring dogs in) and she's been around animals her whole life and never had allergies.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone's had a sudden allergy pop up and if so, what did you do about it? We gave the kitten a bath a couple days ago, which didn't help, and I'm going give them both a bath either tonight or in the morning, plus clean the whole place to see if that'll make a difference but other than that I don't know what to do. I'm also changing their litter to World's Best, sort of hoping that maybe she's having an issue with the litter they were using at the shelter because she wasn't allergic when we went to the shelter and interacted with them before the adoption.

I'm wondering if it could be the older cat since he was in a room with something like 10 other cats (they all had cages, but were loose in the room during the hours the shelter was open) and maybe he got something on him from the other cats? I know they used frontline on him as it's in his paperwork. Can someone be allergic to frontline?

We really don't want to give them up and they both seem really happy here but we just can't keep them if her allergies don't improve.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Ev posted:

I need some cat advice. My girlfriend and I adopted a couple cats a little over a week ago. Well, actually we adopted the kitten (Robby, ~3 months old) and we're fostering an adult cat (Ricky, ~1-2 years old) with the hope of adopting him as well, assuming they both get along.

Things seem good, other than both of them wanting to eat the other's food and Ricky sometimes getting a little rough, in our eyes, when they play fight (no one's drawn blood and they sleep on the bed with us at night, so I figure they're okay together).

Unfortunately, my girlfriend seems to be having an issue with allergies. Now, we had a cat from the time we moved in together until he passed away suddenly back in May (he was 15 and threw a clot) and she never had an allergy to him. But this is to the point that I'm not sure we can keep either of them, which sucks. It doesn't make sense because she even works in a pet store (they don't sell pets there, but lots of people bring dogs in) and she's been around animals her whole life and never had allergies.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone's had a sudden allergy pop up and if so, what did you do about it? We gave the kitten a bath a couple days ago, which didn't help, and I'm going give them both a bath either tonight or in the morning, plus clean the whole place to see if that'll make a difference but other than that I don't know what to do. I'm also changing their litter to World's Best, sort of hoping that maybe she's having an issue with the litter they were using at the shelter because she wasn't allergic when we went to the shelter and interacted with them before the adoption.

I'm wondering if it could be the older cat since he was in a room with something like 10 other cats (they all had cages, but were loose in the room during the hours the shelter was open) and maybe he got something on him from the other cats? I know they used frontline on him as it's in his paperwork. Can someone be allergic to frontline?

We really don't want to give them up and they both seem really happy here but we just can't keep them if her allergies don't improve.

Has she tried fexofenadine (Allegra in the US)? I'm not allergic to cats but I'm allergic to many environmental things and that stuff is magical. I mean no one would blame her if she didn't want to take allergy meds for the duration of the cats' lives but it's worth a shot to see if it helps.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I grew into my cat allergy. I'm still a little allergic to other cats but not my own. I had a very, very tough few months after I brought Ozma home, but consistent use of claritin, an air purifier, and anti-allergen cat wipes helped me get by until I built a tolerance. Good luck.

for dinner I gave Pete a mix of his usual food and the RX stuff and again he turned it down. I tossed that batch and poured a fresh bowl of half new half old without mixing, and he went for the new stuff, then the old :argh:

Caaaaat whyyyy would that even matterrr

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I now have a cat.

Originally, my plan was to adopt an orange cat that my parents were temporarily taking care of, but it took so long to get my house that he eventually became just another one of their cats. In the meantime, their oldest cat died, revealing that it wasn't her who'd been doing all the peeing around the house, but their little middle cat, who was being picked by some of the younger ones. This left them with a total of 5 cats.

The open nature of their house, optimized for cat access, makes it just about impossible to keep them apart, and putting a 10-year-old cat with peeing problems up for adoption is pretty much a death sentence, so I now have a cat.

10 years old, small, white, crooked tail, no upper canines, many claws, pink ears. Her name is Pearl.

For starters, I've put her in a side bathroom with her favorite food, water, and a covered litter box. She hasn't eaten or used the box yet, but it's only been a couple of hours. She's just licked my ENTIRE face. It's a thing she does. She has the roughest tongue of any cat ever.

The fact that she's familiar with me and likes me, and the fact that she's not going to be pestered by any other cats now, is the only reason that I think this might work out. Since she's checked out fine at the vet's, the theory is that she's taken to hiding and peeing in corners is because for some reason, some of the other cats would pick on her every time she showed herself. None of the other cats seemed to have this degree of animosity towards one another.

They say they'll take her back if this doesn't work out.
I really hope it does.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Huntersoninski posted:

<fatty mcfoodthief>

Transfer the food from a bag into a giant plastic container with a latch. I have one that stays closed even when knocked over. I think it keeps the food fresher as well.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Is it a bad idea to move her litter box from one bathroom to another when I have company over? It's a 1/1.5 one floor apartment.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Dogen posted:

Transfer the food from a bag into a giant plastic container with a latch. I have one that stays closed even when knocked over. I think it keeps the food fresher as well.

That's what we've done with their normal food but we hadn't picked up another for the new stuff yet. Done today.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Toast just got done spreading the most recent contents of his litterbox all over the bathroom. How the hell does a cat even get poop on the underside of a toilet bowl?

And he made the most pathetic, dejected noises while I grabbed him and cleaned his feet. He's still complaining about it while eating dinner, like the gross kitten he is.

I own an animal that is completely incompetent.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
The number of times I had to wash Hugo because he'd stomped in his own turds defies belief. He has gotten SLIGHTLY more coordinated with age - hopefully Toast will too. At least it's not diarrhea, which I can tell you sticks on fur like nobody's business.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tamarillo posted:

The number of times I had to wash Hugo because he'd stomped in his own turds defies belief. He has gotten SLIGHTLY more coordinated with age - hopefully Toast will too. At least it's not diarrhea, which I can tell you sticks on fur like nobody's business.

This is why my cat Woodhouse's nickname is Poopy Feet. Or poopy butt. or poopy. Really depends on his mood I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
We've had our cat, Brooklyn Cop, for almost a month now. There are two things I want to ask these forums.

When she finished eating, she'll scratch at the wooden floor. I hypothosize that shes trying to cover her food against other predators, being a street cat still in her mind. It's cute when she tried to topple the massive craft drawer to cover up.

Another is our cat will rub her face and pheromones all over everything. Coffee tables, bookshelves, the recycling, shoes, but never the human roommate and I. It's a little offensive. I've never had a cat not interested in claiming me. She sleeps on my bed just fine, when I'm not there.