Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Saigyouji posted:

From what I've heard, it's 5 cases, with 4 and 5 being directly connected to each other.

Yesss I'm not done yet by a long shot :getin:

drat, this is long for an AA game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've had to fully recharge my 3DS twice now and I'm barely into case 3. Goddamn it, Nintendo. :negative:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's so nice to see a Capcom property be treated with proper respect again, I was almost worried that this game would have :effort: written all over it just like some of their more recent outings. The opening of Case 2 in particular really sold me here. :allears:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

ChaosArgate posted:

It's so nice to see a Capcom property be treated with proper respect again, I was almost worried that this game would have :effort: written all over it just like some of their more recent outings. The opening of Case 2 in particular really sold me here. :allears:

Case 2's opening is the best moment of the game so far to me. "Oh, just another 'strangely localized setting' involving mystical spirit crap. ...WAIT PRO WRESTLING? LUCHA LIBRE? THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER :allears:

Speaking of case 2, one thing I really enjoyed was(end of case 2 spoilers)Those visual effects they had playing while Apollo finally put everything together for the last deduction. The soundtrack really sold that moment. I never really disliked Apollo, but I'm finding myself liking him a whole lot more now that he has to face a prosecutor that's actually doing his best to stand on his way instead of rolling over like a stone.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This game does absolute wonders for Apollo as a character.

(vague spoilers for up to early case 4, I guess, and major AJ spoilers)

In his own game he never really got to be a character and I was thinking about it. He was like an island. We didn't find out squat about him in his own game - it ended and we knew nothing about him, about his past or his hobbies or anything, beyond who his real mother was and even he didn't know that. Not that we ever hear anything about the people who brought him up. He didn't seem to be connected to the world in the same way that Phoenix was.

I mean, the third character we meet in PW:AA is Phoenix's childhood friend. There's a whole sideplot about his school days. Apollo didn't have anything like that, like he just sprung from the earth fully formed and graduated law school, but in Dual Destinies he's yapping on about his best friend, the things they used to do and how they still have a close connection, and it's a bit out of nowhere but seems to make him more real. Also case 3 with him being the sidekick was a real nice change of pace, not having his inner monologue all the time. In AJ his whole character felt like just a rehash of Nick without the sense of humour, but now he's actually an individual personality.

He's the star of the show, imo. While AJ was Phoenix Wright Proficient Pianist feat. Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies seems far more like Apollo's game.

(just speculation I guess but still) Now I just hope they don't kill him off at the end of DD.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 26, 2013

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~

Sherringford posted:

Speaking of case 2, one thing I really enjoyed was(end of case 2 spoilers)Those visual effects they had playing while Apollo finally put everything together for the last deduction. The soundtrack really sold that moment. I never really disliked Apollo, but I'm finding myself liking him a whole lot more now that he has to face a prosecutor that's actually doing his best to stand on his way instead of rolling over like a stone.

Yeah, I'm definitely liking Apollo a lot more in this game, as well. With this game, it really does feel like both Phoenix and Apollo have grown since the previous games. Apollo is thinking for himself and is putting up a lot more resistance of his own. I especially loved how in case 3 he called out Myriam for one of the comments she made and was able to keep the cross examination going for Athena, even though the judge was ready to let her leave. I always love it when a series really has its characters grow and develop their personality over time.

Scher fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 26, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm still in day 1 of the final case (and if past games have taught me anything, this will be going on for quite a while) but I believe I've identified my major problem with the game's writing. It requires me to suspend my disbelief way more than I feel comfortable with. Like, every hour or so a plot point will happen that leaves me thinking, did that really make sense? And I just have to ignore it and move past. I know the old motto of don't think about it too hard, it's a videogame. But the story is posing itself as a somewhat realistic murder mystery, I'd at least hope for basic thing like character motivations always to make sense.

For example, early in case five Aura takes some people, including Trucy, hostage with her robots and demands (in a roundabout way) her brother be set free. This is alright, if extreme. Blackquill's on death row and to be executed tomorrow, so she takes the only option she has left. But then, she threatens to kill her hostages. Now, this presents two problems: One, it doesn't really make sense from her character's perspective (admittedly we don't know her all that well, and I still have my doubts whether she would actually go through with it) to just cold-bloodedly threaten people to their face with death of a relative. Two, absolutely loving nobody reacts accordingly. Wright is all "Huh. Guess we should do something about this person who threatens to kill my daughter."

In the end it doesn't matter that much and I still like the game a lot, but it leaves a weird aftertaste.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like when Phoenix is being Cool Dad, too. Like in Case 3 when he slowly coaches Athena through examining a dead body. They've formed this weird makeshift family and it works surprisingly well.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Case 3, Day 1 trial spoilers: I can't tell if Robin is one of the best witnesses or one of the creepiest.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
What I really like about Apollo and Athena in cases 2 and 3 is how they work together and trade roles in the courtroom. Instead of having a mentor/student relationship like Mia and Phoenix or Phoenix and Apollo, or a lawyer/layman relationship like Phoenix and Maya or Apollo and Trucy, they're (relative) equals.

In fact, this game is doing a pretty great job of juggling three whole playable characters without relegating any of them to "Play as Mia for a case" or "Play as Edgeworth for a day".

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I thought the beginning of the game was incredibly anime but then Ted Tonate's(is that even a spoiler?) losing animation won me over. Bring it on, game :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

KATY PERRY posted:

I thought the beginning of the game was incredibly anime but then Ted Tonate's(is that even a spoiler?) losing animation won me over. Bring it on, game :)

Oh Call Now, anime? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, case 3 day 1 trial when cross-examining O'Conner, I asked him about the art room and he said he never went there and had no reason to. I tried to present Courte's planner as proof to the contrary (because she had 2 notes in there about meeting him), but apparently that's wrong? Ugh, moments like this where there's a blatantly obvious contradiction and then some other more subtle thing the game wants you to point out are annoying. :sigh:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dragonatrix posted:

So, case 3 day 1 trial when cross-examining O'Conner, I asked him about the art room and he said he never went there and had no reason to. I tried to present Courte's planner as proof to the contrary (because she had 2 notes in there about meeting him), but apparently that's wrong? Ugh, moments like this where there's a blatantly obvious contradiction and then some other more subtle thing the game wants you to point out are annoying. :sigh:

But that means you assumed he went to her, as opposed to her going to him. The journal doesn't say anything about him knowing that she wanted to speak to him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

KATY PERRY posted:

Phoenix Wright: a series known for being extremely non anime until now.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
^: This is the first game with actual literal anime though. Like tiny cute omputers blurting out your tsundere feelings and squggly eyes and dark pastas. I know it's the future but come on

eating only apples posted:

Oh Call Now, anime? You ain't seen nothing yet.

The opening part was pretty anime :ohdear: Does it get worse?
Also, why does Ted get a trial after he's confessed to everything? :psyduck: And who threw the confetti? And when did all those people come back?

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 26, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

But that means you assumed he went to her, as opposed to her going to him. The journal doesn't say anything about him knowing that she wanted to speak to him.

Yeah, apparently so. I had roughly the right idea, and the evidence to go with it, just the wrong statement. Go figure.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

KATY PERRY posted:

Also, why does Ted get a trial after he's confessed to everything? :psyduck:

Have you played any of the other games? This series is anime as balls.

It's more about finding the real guilty party than proving your client not-guilty, and everyone gets a trial - not all confessions are the real deal.

KATY PERRY posted:

^: This is the first game with actual literal anime though. Like tiny cute omputers blurting out your tsundere feelings and squggly eyes and dark pastas. I know it's the future but come on

Haha yeah okay no it gets more anime than the first case. I enjoyed it but it was really anime. And the cute computer is going nowhere. Plenty of squiggly eyes too. Athena's a decent character though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

KATY PERRY posted:

Also, why does Ted get a trial after he's confessed to everything? :psyduck: And who threw the confetti? And when did all those people come back?

In reverse order:
The Judge mentions the crowd filling up the gallery again at the end.
The confetti is a mystery for the ages. Some pictures joke that its Gumshoe who does it.
Because that's actually what happens with criminals? I know, the Ace Attorney universe has a somewhat twisted version of the Japanese/American law systems, justified through supposed major revision coming in... oh, 3 years, but part of what makes a trial isn't just figuring out that someone 'did it', but determining their level of responsibility and the punishment accordingly. Since the murder of the Detective and assault of Apollo were separate from the whole bombing trial, they have to be done somewhere else.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, apparently so. I had roughly the right idea, and the evidence to go with it, just the wrong statement. Go figure.

It happens. I had the same thing (5-1) knowing that the floor writing was written before the explosion, 'cause you can see where the R used to be, and it tainted the entire trial until it was eventually revealed. It happens. I think it happens more in this game than in the others.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I played them, but it was a bit ago :( Maybe I blocked out the animes. I remember Ron DeLite almost getting a Guilty verdict after he confessed to what he didn't do so I just wonder what's up with that. Thought they all got the chair anyway :v:

e: oh god the circus case

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KATY PERRY posted:

Wait, basic human emotions are anime now?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Massive case 5 spoiler. Technically.

My god! It's you! I haven't seen you in years! You've grown up so much in that time! And you look...

...exactly the same. :confused:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Endorph posted:

Wait, basic human emotions are anime now?

What are you talking about? I don't think what Call Now/Katy Perry/whatever said falls under basic human emotion. Like there's a lot of squiggly eyes when people cry and "I don't feel like this!" "yes you do!" at first. It's a really common thing in anime and Athena at least gets better about it. Dark pasts, I'm not so sure about. Apollo maybe? That's a dark future more than anything...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm near the beginning of case 3 (just had the mock mock trial) and I like the way they've been treating Apollo so far. AA4 kind of showed him as a wet blanket that's excited to be a lawyer sometimes, but I feel they're doing a much better job at it here. Even the other characters seem pretty aware that he's kind of lame without piling it on him too much.

Phoenix on the other hand is... well, awkward. The first case makes it seem like he's back to his old self, which I don't like, but he seems closer to his AA4 self in cases 2 and 3. I don't mean in the sense that he's an rear end in a top hat that hogs the glory, he just seems a lot more subdued and on top of things. I think I'd prefer it if you only played as Apollo and Athena, and he was just their boss.

How many cases is this game? Four seems a little short, but part of me doubts they gave each character two trials each.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Five cases.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This is the same series where a little 8 year old girl gets possessed by the spirit of her big boobed cousin and you're just NOW claiming this is "too anime", people?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Momomo posted:

How many cases is this game? Four seems a little short, but part of me doubts they gave each character two trials each.

Five.

Momomo posted:

Phoenix on the other hand is... well, awkward. The first case makes it seem like he's back to his old self, which I don't like, but he seems closer to his AA4 self in cases 2 and 3. I don't mean in the sense that he's an rear end in a top hat that hogs the glory, he just seems a lot more subdued and on top of things. I think I'd prefer it if you only played as Apollo and Athena, and he was just their boss.

(sort of game spoilers? About how Phoenix as a character happens)
Phoenix is weird in that his inner monologue is completely different to his... outer monologue. Playing as him is so far removed from having him as a sidekick. The difference is really jarring, it's like the writers wanted to have both "Phoenix as mentor" and "Phoenix as player analogue" and did the best they could. He really doesn't act like someone who knows his poo poo when you're controlling him, but when he's third-person that's exactly how he acts. Maybe that's supposed to be part of New Nick's character, but it doesn't seem to follow through to his dialogue when you control him in court.

I'm only on case 4 so maybe it all resolves itself in the end. Please say so if your replies have case 4/5 spoilers :shobon:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

(sort of game spoilers? About how Phoenix as a character happens)
Phoenix is weird in that his inner monologue is completely different to his... outer monologue. Playing as him is so far removed from having him as a sidekick. The difference is really jarring, it's like the writers wanted to have both "Phoenix as mentor" and "Phoenix as player analogue" and did the best they could. He really doesn't act like someone who knows his poo poo when you're controlling him, but when he's third-person that's exactly how he acts. Maybe that's supposed to be part of New Nick's character, but it doesn't seem to follow through to his dialogue when you control him in court.

[only played until case 3 up until now, so spoilers deal only with that!]
What I took from that is that Phoenix never knows whatever the hell he is talking about. He just long mastered the ability to pretend to know what he's doing, because he's the master of bluffing :colbert: that's why when you look at him as a sidekick it's like "Wow, this guy is so amazing!" and when you are playing as him he's just this guy bluffing like hell. I always figured that's how the Judge and everybody else saw him. Like everyone is going "HOW DID HE DO THAT" and he's going "Yeah, I uh, knew that from the start" but internally he's going "...How did I do that?"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
whoops this went through again, ignore

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just picked this up yesterday, and I am utterly blown away by how much more animated the 3D modeled characters are. This is a next-gen lawyer game right here.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Sherringford posted:

[only played until case 3 up until now, so spoilers deal only with that!]
What I took from that is that Phoenix never knows whatever the hell he is talking about. He just long mastered the ability to pretend to know what he's doing, because he's the master of bluffing :colbert: that's why when you look at him as a sidekick it's like "Wow, this guy is so amazing!" and when you are playing as him he's just this guy bluffing like hell. I always figured that's how the Judge and everybody else saw him. Like everyone is going "HOW DID HE DO THAT" and he's going "Yeah, I uh, knew that from the start" but internally he's going "...How did I do that?"

(spoilers only to after case 3) Yeah, the same thing happens with Apollo and with Phoenix in his own games. I still think there's an issue with how the writers portrayed HoboNick and how he's portrayed here. I'm not sure the transition from outer to inner monologue should be so jarring. I mean, he's still goofy jerkoff Nick like he was eight years ago? He hasn't changed a bit inwardly, even if outward he's got better at hiding it. Does that make him a better lawyer? Of course it doesn't! Suddenly everyone can see right through him, just like they could in AA1-3, even though Apollo and Athena can't. I've not yet seen Phoenix in the courtroom since 5-1, so it's hard to say where they're going with the character.

Honestly if they're sticking with the timeskip and all that I almost think it might be time for Nick to retire. at this point I like Apollo better than Phoenix anyway

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Does the emotion system ever do anything other than "Pick the blatantly obvious statement" or "gently caress you, be psychic"? I'm in the second case and I'm supposed to point out the unexpected emotion in a testimony where every single line is showing fear and surprise, in a situation where you should absolutely be afraid and surprised.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Artix posted:

Does the emotion system ever do anything other than "Pick the blatantly obvious statement" or "gently caress you, be psychic"? I'm in the second case and I'm supposed to point out the unexpected emotion in a testimony where every single line is showing fear and surprise, in a situation where you should absolutely be afraid and surprised.

It's neither of those things, it's "pick the emotion that shouldn't be there!" or "pick the emotion that doesn't fit with the statement". They don't explain the latter very well. If an emotion suddenly changes in intensity, it's that one.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

...I feel like an idiot, but I can't figure out what the contradiction is in case 3 where Means is giving testimony about Juniper asking him to pre-record his speech. I don't even know why I can't figure this out but here we are.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh man (case 3 day 2 investigation)I didn't expect a Queen reference after picking up the statue pieces. Just when I think this game can't get any more incredible... :swoon:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

A cool drat horse posted:

...I feel like an idiot, but I can't figure out what the contradiction is in case 3 where Means is giving testimony about Juniper asking him to pre-record his speech. I don't even know why I can't figure this out but here we are.

I got stuck here too!!

Hint: It's the last statement. Was it really in Junie's best interests?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

(spoilers only to after case 3) Yeah, the same thing happens with Apollo and with Phoenix in his own games. I still think there's an issue with how the writers portrayed HoboNick and how he's portrayed here. I'm not sure the transition from outer to inner monologue should be so jarring. I mean, he's still goofy jerkoff Nick like he was eight years ago? He hasn't changed a bit inwardly, even if outward he's got better at hiding it. Does that make him a better lawyer? Of course it doesn't! Suddenly everyone can see right through him, just like they could in AA1-3, even though Apollo and Athena can't. I've not yet seen Phoenix in the courtroom since 5-1, so it's hard to say where they're going with the character.

Honestly if they're sticking with the timeskip and all that I almost think it might be time for Nick to retire. at this point I like Apollo better than Phoenix anyway

Yeah I don't think it's perfect, but I it's enough of a justification for me to roll with it for a while. I think they kept him fairly competent for the first case at least. I mean, the man stayed inside a building that could have been bombed any second because he trusted himself to be right. That's...some degree of change from 1-3 Phoenix, I think. But yeah sometimes it does feel like the change is a bit inconsistent. The most I can justify to myself is that he never really stopped being a goof but puts on an act in front of Apollo and Athena to be a good teacher, but still, yeah. There are a few moments it feels a bit weird, but nothing has struck me as too weird so far. Then again I'm still finishing up case 3, so maybe it gets more jarring later.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Artix posted:

Luckily there is never a penalty for failure in these, so just point out every emotion in every statement when you get stuck! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
The series really has made such a wonderful transition to 3D. The animations are all so well done, and they really add a lot of charm to the characters. However, the animation in case 3 with Robin gazing at the pink, sparkling high heel just bothers me so much. It just makes me cringe every time I see it.

• Locked thread