Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

is there a java thing that will load a wsdl and let you make calls. i don't want to gently caress with generated code atm

axis2 includes a maven task to generate the code so that you can have the code generation work seamlessly in your normal workflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

tbh i'd have been better off doing this poo poo in java. i just want to send some soaps but somehow instead im installing perl 5.14 and researching ruby

i hate perl soap so much that i often used Inline::Java to call from perl into the java stubs generated by axis2.

p-langs have bad soap support that's just how it is. that's why rest exists: when you have bad soap client libraries rolling your own bullshit seems like a good idea

edit: a friend told me that ruby soap is getting less bad but i'm not credulous enough to try it for myself

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the best solution is to just have a guid for each file and replace every path and or filename everywhere with those

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ldap

put everyones filesystem in active directory

cn=dicks,cn=Nomnom Cookie,cn=Users,cn=C:,ou=filesystem,cn=fart,ou=machines,dc=butts,dc=boners,dc=com

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i hate perl soap so much that i often used Inline::Java to call from perl into the java stubs generated by axis2.

p-langs have bad soap support that's just how it is. that's why rest exists: when you have bad soap client libraries rolling your own bullshit seems like a good idea

edit: a friend told me that ruby soap is getting less bad but i'm not credulous enough to try it for myself

i eventually got SOAP::WSDL installed but it bitched about a missing method or something when i loaded a wsdl so gently caress that. im not gonna debug ur lovely library that doesn't work on 5.16. yeah i eventually gave up and used soapui. ty all who recommended it. i tried p-langs and they were just as lovely as shaggar said

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
plang "programming": not even once

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
i suck at programming guys help

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
purchase this book: http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
read the entire book. do as many exercises as you have time for

if you like C, you can keep programming in C. congratulations, you're a real programmer!
if you want to check out other languages instead, you are now prepared, so go right ahead!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

but i herd c was dumb poo poo for idiots. right in this very thread

(for real though i need to learn to program, i can only cut it so far in this science gig without it)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
well if you're just a scientist and programming is not your main focus, then the C path may not be the best way to go

however, there is nothing dumb or for-idiots about C. your OS kernel and drivers are written in C, along with many important userland libraries and programs. virtually all modern programming languages are implemented or at least bootstrapped in C, and their foreign function interfaces use C calling conventions. C is basically portable assembly. it's the closest you can practically get to what the machine is really doing

after learning C, in many situations you may want to use a more convenient, modern programming language. but because you know C, and you know how computers actually operate, you'll understand when these other languages are appropriate. it can be hard to reason about non-trivial issues in high-level languages (especially wrt performance) without SOME understanding of their implementation, and C gives you that

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

JewKiller 3000 posted:

well if you're just a scientist and programming is not your main focus, then the C path may not be the best way to go

however, there is nothing dumb or for-idiots about C. your OS kernel and drivers are written in C, along with many important userland libraries and programs. virtually all modern programming languages are implemented or at least bootstrapped in C, and their foreign function interfaces use C calling conventions. C is basically portable assembly. it's the closest you can practically get to what the machine is really doing

after learning C, in many situations you may want to use a more convenient, modern programming language. but because you know C, and you know how computers actually operate, you'll understand when these other languages are appropriate. it can be hard to reason about non-trivial issues in high-level languages (especially wrt performance) without SOME understanding of their implementation, and C gives you that

kinda the same as with arduino and rasbpi and poo poo, it'll get you started on simple things v quickly but as soon as a nontrivial problem pops up you'll have no idea what you're doing because of the abstraction. IMO it's really best to start at the basics for your field. For programming apps that's c systems programming and quick looks inside driver code. For embedded, which I only keep bringing up because that's what I do, it's electronics

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Phobeste posted:

kinda the same as with arduino and rasbpi and poo poo, it'll get you started on simple things v quickly but as soon as a nontrivial problem pops up you'll have no idea what you're doing because of the abstraction. IMO it's really best to start at the basics for your field. For programming apps that's c systems programming and quick looks inside driver code. For embedded, which I only keep bringing up because that's what I do, it's electronics

Yep, thats why I hate Maker culture. raspi to blink an LED via 300mb of code and a node.js setup (because you like to get close to the metal) is stupid. buy a loving 555 and learn ohms law

btw you are more than welcome to spout off about embedded and systems anything in yospos, i am quite interested and love the poo poo out of embedded stuff, though im still entry level/scrub tier

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Well im definitely a fan of understanding underlying systems. youve sold me. got any recommendations for learning c on an in depth level.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

these genes aint gonna sort them selves

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Yep, thats why I hate Maker culture. raspi to blink an LED via 300mb of code and a node.js setup (because you like to get close to the metal) is stupid. buy a loving 555 and learn ohms law

btw you are more than welcome to spout off about embedded and systems anything in yospos, i am quite interested and love the poo poo out of embedded stuff, though im still entry level/scrub tier

Word. I'm kinda new too, not as pro as bloody or Otto Skirzeny but I got me some opinions anyway

I'm not gonna hate on the "maker community" aside from the pretension though. Sure they do poo poo that could be done better faster and cheaper on smaller micros and their projects are fairy trivial, but whatever: it's art or it's a hobby. Do whatever you want to make it work.

The problem j have though is with people trying to cram these thugs into every situation, or claim that they're a replacement for all micros and that they mean that anybody can do this stuff with little to no learning time. Because yeah you can really quickly et simple projects up and running. I use them at work for exactly that reason. But te deeper you go into it, you realize that there's just as many pitfalls as if you were doing it the traditional way with c, and getting past those pitfalls is a pain in the rear end. And then you just download the atmega data sheet to figure stuff out and it's like, well this isn't an arduino anymore! It's just a chip on a dev board, which is nice, but really can't claim to be revolutionary.

I mean for an example, the arduino mega 2560 breaks out its serial lines and allows you to use them like any other pin when writing code. Since they're pins 1 and 0, you might naively assume (since the fifteen minutes you want to spend on this project isn't enough to do real research) that you can use those lines for whatever you want. In fact, if you load firmware that shuttles a lot of data through those pins, it presents you from ever uploading new firmware without an ISP. Oops! Turns out those are the pins that the embedded programmer on the board uses to talk to the boot loader! Sucks! Sure i could have figured that one out with some thought but half the point of using the fucker was I didn't want to think, dammit.

And if that happened to somebody who was making a blinkenlight program with his first arduino... He'd be hosed! Because he doesnt know about the underlying structure. It'd just be bricked for his purposes.
Sorry for all them caps, timfone strikes again

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JewKiller 3000 posted:

however, there is nothing dumb or for-idiots about C

that's the problem

everyone's an idiot sometimes and c-languages aren't forgiving

code red
msblaster
nimda
sasser

the world's largest software company can't write c/c++ worth poo poo

Phobeste posted:

as soon as a nontrivial problem pops up you'll have no idea what you're doing because of the abstraction

finding the correct abstraction is more productive than abandoning abstractions altogether, this is why node.js is popular

and i guess this is why the "meritocracy" j-language crew hates it and oh poo poo i've gone full tef

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phobeste posted:

I mean for an example, the arduino mega 2560 breaks out its serial lines and allows you to use them like any other pin when writing code. Since they're pins 1 and 0, you might naively assume (since the fifteen minutes you want to spend on this project isn't enough to do real research) that you can use those lines for whatever you want. In fact, if you load firmware that shuttles a lot of data through those pins, it presents you from ever uploading new firmware without an ISP. Oops! Turns out those are the pins that the embedded programmer on the board uses to talk to the boot loader! Sucks! Sure i could have figured that one out with some thought but half the point of using the fucker was I didn't want to think, dammit.

And if that happened to somebody who was making a blinkenlight program with his first arduino... He'd be hosed! Because he doesnt know about the underlying structure. It'd just be bricked for his purposes.

and if the alternative is providing a better but optional abstraction that keeps you from using those pins that's a better way to prevent it than a bunch of extra poo poo you have to learn to make lights blink

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
nodejs is like eating corn and calling the resulting turd an abstraction of corn

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that's the problem

everyone's an idiot sometimes and c-languages aren't forgiving

code red
msblaster
nimda
sasser

the world's largest software company can't write c/c++ worth poo poo

finding the correct abstraction is more productive than abandoning abstractions altogether, this is why node.js is popular

and i guess this is why the "meritocracy" j-language crew hates it and oh poo poo i've gone full tef

node is a bad abstraction tho, it doesn't even solve the problem it set out to solve

node js for hardware is ok--gently caress learning assembly for every other microcontroller-- but i don't see the point, just run lua/python or something. what does node or js get u on a non-web system?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Aren't there some micro controllers cheaper than 555s

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Malcolm XML posted:

i don't see the point, just run lua/python or something. what does node or js get u on a non-web system?

there are people who legitimately prefer js :shobon:

(i find js more fun to write than python cuz i'm all about pseudo-functional programming and i have mad stockholm syndrome)

also just because it's an easy ecosystem to get started w/ (npm is the simplest package manager) and because there's lots of front-end devs who want to get out of that awful field

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Malcolm XML posted:

node is a bad abstraction tho, it doesn't even solve the problem it set out to solve

node js for hardware is ok--gently caress learning assembly for every other microcontroller-- but i don't see the point, just run lua/python or something. what does node or js get u on a non-web system?

lots of poo poo works better for tasks it wasn't designed for: java ended up being awful for applets and set-top boxes, but it's still used

node's popular because javascript is already basically required for web people, lots of your web skills transfer over, and there's tons of documentation and community support

at least js makes more sense and has more internal consistency than php

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

abraham linksys posted:

also just because it's an easy ecosystem to get started w/ (npm is the simplest package manager) and because there's lots of front-end devs who want to get out of that awful field

node really benefits from being new but having enough experienced people around to know what npm needs to be (compare python's history of a million failed package managers and ruby's history of 1.5 that kinda suck)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and if the alternative is providing a better but optional abstraction that keeps you from using those pins that's a better way to prevent it than a bunch of extra poo poo you have to learn to make lights blink

It's not the specific example that's the problem though. I'm not criticizing arduino for having problems, everything has problems. What I'm saying is that abstractions are a nice convenience but the lower you go in terms of hardware the more likely it is that there is no abstraction that doesn't have a hole somewhere. Everything does. And if you can't understand the hole, why it exists, and how to work around it you'll eventually be hosed.

Like I said, this definitely doesn't matter to people just picking up arduino for a one off project or even a few. But the more of this stuff you do, and the more complex it gets, the more you run into these holes. There's a certain point which is unavoidable at which you're going to have to learn c, or just later lovely hack you don't understand on top of lovely hack you don't understand until it all falls down like a house of cards.

The good news is that once you do bite the bullet, arduino gets even more useful! There are a lot of things that you can now knock out in an hour because you know what's going on and you know how to deal with te holes in things. And, if you get to a place where te libraries don't help anymore, you can actually deal with it. But sticking entirely with the framework and libraries just isn't sustainable.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Oh and also it's a gateway into other kinda of chips. Arduinos have a decent selection of general purpose micros, but recently with the Leonardo they've just started throwing more power at the situation. If you want to use a chip with MAC architecture or one with hardware floating point then you're poo poo out of luck if you've never used c before. You're about to respond with "port arduino to those!" I know, but you're never going to keep ahead of the game that way. It's like moving to Germany and speaking only English.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Phobeste posted:

Oh and also it's a gateway into other kinda of chips. Arduinos have a decent selection of general purpose micros, but recently with the Leonardo they've just started throwing more power at the situation. If you want to use a chip with MAC architecture or one with hardware floating point then you're poo poo out of luck if you've never used c before. You're about to respond with "port arduino to those!" I know, but you're never going to keep ahead of the game that way. It's like moving to Germany and speaking only English.

remember arduino is designed for designers not graybeard uc gurus

its supposed to be something u can hack up for a demo or installation in a week or two w/o any major coding skills

i doubt they give a poo poo about floating point, and if they do, will know what they're doing with micro controllers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phobeste posted:

just put some io pins on an rpi, make sure interpreted userspace poo poo (by this i mean node or python or processing or ruby or w/e) can hit it fast enough, let the os keep you from bricking it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
different ppl have different reward functions. at one end of the spectrum, some people just wanna make dat led blink, and aren't really fussed about layers of abstraction or efficiency or whatevs.

at the other end, there are people who want to learn how to Do It Properly. for them, functionality comes somewhere down the line, and in the meantime they're satisfied simply by the fact that they're learning a thing.

just because the vast majority of this thread falls into the latter category doesn't mean the former doesn't exist or are "stupid"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

coffeetable posted:

different ppl have different reward functions. at one end of the spectrum, some people just wanna make dat led blink, and aren't really fussed about layers of abstraction or efficiency or whatevs.

at the other end, there are people who want to learn how to Do It Properly. for them, functionality comes somewhere down the line, and in the meantime they're satisfied simply by the fact that they're learning a thing.

just because the vast majority of this thread falls into the latter category doesn't mean the former doesn't exist or are "stupid"

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I'm the former and also also v. stupid so where do i sit

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

Aren't there some micro controllers cheaper than 555s

probably. and a 555 requires a bunch of extra components, and once it's all soldered up it's permanent whereas you can always just rewrite your uc code if you need it to do something else.

and if your project is already using a uc with an adequate timer then throwing in a 555 is a waste.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

coffeetable posted:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

also i dunno if you've all noticed, but the progress of modern technology is largely dependent on piling one abstraction on top of another so you don't have to care about the small poo poo

lol @ complaining bout javascript for controlling a raspberry pi when the main use of js is controlling a global telecommunications network

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

coffeetable posted:

lol @ complaining bout javascript for controlling a raspberry pi when the main use of js is controlling a global telecommunications network

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

abraham linksys posted:

there are people who legitimately prefer js :shobon:

(i find js more fun to write than python cuz i'm all about pseudo-functional programming and i have mad stockholm syndrome)

doesn't npm put a copy of each package's dependencies in a subdirectory for the package? i've seen that wind up with directory/file paths so long that they exceeded the maximum length in windows :smithicide:

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

coffeetable posted:

except all the poo poo its abstracting really isnt that hard.

its php all the way down at this point so gently caress it worry about it in 5 years when the novelty has worn off and you have to start maintaining any of this piss

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

prefect posted:

doesn't npm put a copy of each package's dependencies in a subdirectory for the package? i've seen that wind up with directory/file paths so long that they exceeded the maximum length in windows :smithicide:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2156195-fix-260-character-file-name-length-limitation

quote:

Visual Studio UV Site Admin (Admin, Microsoft) responded · Oct 3, 2013
Hello everyone and thank you for the feedback and for voting on this issue. We understand that this can be a frustrating issue, however, fixing it requires a large and complicated architectural change across different products and features including Visual Studio, TFS, MSBuild and the .NET Framework. Dedicating resources to this work item would come at the expense of many other features and innovation. Additionally, if we removed this limitation from our first party tools it will still likely exist elsewhere in Visual Studio’s ecosystem of extensions and tools. For these reasons, we are declining this suggestion and returning return everyone’s votes so they can be applied to other items. In the interest of delivering the most value to our customers we sometimes have to make very difficult cuts, and this is one of them.

Thank you,

Will Buik,
Visual Studio – Project and Build Team

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

uG posted:

really isnt that hard

this is a terrible phrase. loving arithmetic "really isn't that hard", and yet there are multitudes of people from all walks of life who have immense difficulty with it. things are only easy when you've previously developed processes and experience that can be readily transferred across to the new topic. guess what: if you've never had to rigorously reason about abstract structures before, pointers are a brick to the face.

it's saying crap like that which kills people's interest in technical disciplines before they even begin, because they take their first failures as an indication that they're "not smart enough". really, it's just that the wankers harping on about how easy things are had their own comparable failures long ago or in a different area, and recognising that reality just can't trump acting like a condescending bastard, can it?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 26, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

or hell maybe you actually are a Terry Tao-esque ubermensch and everything is easy for you. in that case shame you're without the good graces to realise not everyone's so lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

ps this is just spillover from the frothing rage i devolve into any time i see someone being mocked for poor mathematical ability

triplepost motherfuckers

• Locked thread