Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

This is about the 40th time this has had to be posted!

Do you know any good podcast apps? How about weather apps? Also, how come Google isn't catering their whole business model towards me and my nerdy rear end demands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tigren posted:

Do you know any good podcast apps? How about weather apps? Also, how come Google isn't catering their whole business model towards me and my nerdy rear end demands?

Do you have any codes for Themer or Aviate?

I'm kidding, please don't send me one or post one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Sometimes I think Android is getting better because my poo poo always works properly but then I read this thread and it feels like I have a superpower. A really boring one.

This is how I feel about the Facebook app. Been working fine for me and everyone I know for 3+ years that I've had an Android phone, but this and the app thread makes it seem like the Facebook App personally insults you everytime you launch it up or something like that.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My tablet came without a file manager- and when I search for "file manager" on the play store I get many results, all with 5 stars and nothing to tell me which has which features and so on. I was hoping some of you have already sorted through them and could advise me. I'd prefer one that can do multiple panels, so: What are your favorite multi-panel file managers?
Also, can Android do symlinks and if so do these file managers support making them?

v v v Thanks!

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 26, 2013

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
Solid Explorer is pretty good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tigren posted:

PocketCasts

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Does All Access let you download to your SD card? And does it have an equalizer? I'm using Spotify now, and I spend most of my music listening time underground on the subway where I can't stream. The issue I'm having with Spotify is there's no equalizer, and none of the equalizer apps I've downloaded work with it, even the ones that say they do. According to this site, it has one built in, but that feature isn't there on my device (LG Optimus L9 running Jelly Bean 4.1.2, everything stock). Spotify is up to date, version 0.7.1.407, I just reinstalled it. On the Play Store site it says the current version varies by device, so maybe the L9's got an older version without the equalizer? If so, how come none of the other apps I've tried do anything?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Play Music and Spotify both appear to use the same built in eq so if it isn't present in one it probably won't be in the other.

Probably best to just download the Play Music app and see if the eq is there - you don't have to sign up to anything to use the app as an offline player

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

pun pundit posted:

My tablet came without a file manager- and when I search for "file manager" on the play store I get many results, all with 5 stars and nothing to tell me which has which features and so on. I was hoping some of you have already sorted through them and could advise me. I'd prefer one that can do multiple panels, so: What are your favorite multi-panel file managers?
Also, can Android do symlinks and if so do these file managers support making them?

v v v Thanks!
file wrangler is pretty decent and looks nice. Don't think it does root though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dissss posted:

Play Music and Spotify both appear to use the same built in eq so if it isn't present in one it probably won't be in the other.

Probably best to just download the Play Music app and see if the eq is there - you don't have to sign up to anything to use the app as an offline player

There's an equalizer setting in play music.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There's an equalizer setting in play music.

Yeah but there should be one in Spotify too

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

dissss posted:

It's not there in Play Music either. And I hate the interface, though I've only spent about half an hour with it. I can't find any quality settings for downloads. Spotify lets you choose from 96, 160 or 320 Kbps. It does seem to have a larger selection though. Still no Beatles though.

I'm not sure I like it.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

MondayHotDog posted:

It's not there in Play Music either. And I hate the interface, though I've only spent about half an hour with it. I can't find any quality settings for downloads. Spotify lets you choose from 96, 160 or 320 Kbps. It does seem to have a larger selection though. Still no Beatles though.

I'm not sure I like it.

Where are you looking for the equalizer? I ask because it's in the same settings menu that has the streaming quality selector.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Doodarazumas posted:

Where are you looking for the equalizer? I ask because it's in the same settings menu that has the streaming quality selector.

That's the one I'm looking at. The one that says "mobile networks stream quality" with low, normal or high. There's no settings for download quality or equalizer.

Edit: Here's screencaps of what the settings menus look like in both apps:

Play Music

Spotify

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 27, 2013

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

MondayHotDog posted:

That's the one I'm looking at. The one that says "mobile networks stream quality" with low, normal or high. There's no settings for download quality or equalizer.

Oh, I misread you. Thought you were talking about streaming. I'm almost sure you're locked into 320kbps for downloaded files on Google music. No idea why you can't see an equalizer though...

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

MondayHotDog posted:

Does All Access let you download to your SD card? And does it have an equalizer? I'm using Spotify now, and I spend most of my music listening time underground on the subway where I can't stream. The issue I'm having with Spotify is there's no equalizer, and none of the equalizer apps I've downloaded work with it, even the ones that say they do. According to this site, it has one built in, but that feature isn't there on my device (LG Optimus L9 running Jelly Bean 4.1.2, everything stock). Spotify is up to date, version 0.7.1.407, I just reinstalled it. On the Play Store site it says the current version varies by device, so maybe the L9's got an older version without the equalizer? If so, how come none of the other apps I've tried do anything?

There's a way to store to the SD card, but it requires root.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/303476-google-play-music-sd-card-root-required.html

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MondayHotDog posted:

I'm not sure I like it.

If you go into settings and then apps, and look at the All Apps page or whatever (the one that shows everything on your phone, including random Google and Android stuff), do you have an app called MusicFX? As far as I know that's the equaliser, if it's there you might want to try clearing its data or force stopping and restarting it

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

baka kaba posted:

If you go into settings and then apps, and look at the All Apps page or whatever (the one that shows everything on your phone, including random Google and Android stuff), do you have an app called MusicFX? As far as I know that's the equaliser, if it's there you might want to try clearing its data or force stopping and restarting it

I didn't have MusicFX, and installing it fixed the equalizers in both apps. I think I'm set now.

Strange how it takes a third party app to enable hidden features in one of Google's own apps.

Thanks guys.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 27, 2013

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Can anyone recommend an app for personal finance? Ideally one that can photograph and store receipts, and maybe even sync up with online accounts. I'll settle for anything that can track expenditures and incomes on multiple accounts, though.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

TequilaJesus posted:

Can anyone recommend an app for personal finance? Ideally one that can photograph and store receipts, and maybe even sync up with online accounts. I'll settle for anything that can track expenditures and incomes on multiple accounts, though.

Mint or YNAB, I'd say. YNAB is a $60 Desktop app purchase + free mobile app, mint is an online service.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
There's also https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.markushi.expensemanager, which is nice and minimalistic.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 27, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MondayHotDog posted:

I didn't have MusicFX, and installing it fixed the equalizers in both apps. I think I'm set now.

Strange how it takes a third party app to enable hidden features in one of Google's own apps.

Thanks guys.
It's because you're not on AOSP and LG didn't feel the need to include MusicFX. It has nothing to do with needing a third party app to enable a hidden feature, it's because LG didn't include the a processing app of any kind. The reason it's not packaged with the Play Music app is because OEMs can include their own processing app (like Beats on HTCs) and there's no reason to include something that most phones have included.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't like that all access doesn't have a method to search playlists. Sometimes I just want to type in a word or genre and see what comes up.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Expense Manager is really nice, easy to use and uses a beautiful variation of the Holo theme

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TequilaJesus posted:

I swear by Easy Money myself. Allows you to set up multiple accounts (you can even give it an initial balance and have it work credit cards), have repeating payments that show up again every X numebr of days (Like 30 for monthly repayments). Only real downside is it's cost; $10 but really it's small taters for what you're getting.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Are there any app alternatives to the Play Music interface? I would love to have an album/artist list that can show more than four listings at any one time on nexus 4. I don't need to see all the album art, I would just like to be able to browse my collection more efficiently.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Slimchandi posted:

Are there any app alternatives to the Play Music interface? I would love to have an album/artist list that can show more than four listings at any one time on nexus 4. I don't need to see all the album art, I would just like to be able to browse my collection more efficiently.

I wonder if you could download your library to your phone then point another player to the cache location?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I think it shows more if you change the DPI on the app itself. Give that a shot maybe.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
As far as I can see, Play Music stores the music inside itself or something, because I cannot find any of the downloaded music on my phone or sd card. I wanted to use Poweramp to play my music so I had to settle for downloading my music on the pc (with the Google Download Manager) and transfer it across.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PancakeTransmission posted:

As far as I can see, Play Music stores the music inside itself or something, because I cannot find any of the downloaded music on my phone or sd card. I wanted to use Poweramp to play my music so I had to settle for downloading my music on the pc (with the Google Download Manager) and transfer it across.

/android/data/com.musicwhatever

Bunch of randomly labeled mp3 files. Have fun

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Maker Of Shoes posted:

/android/data/com.musicwhatever

Bunch of randomly labeled mp3 files. Have fun

Shows as a 0 byte folder for me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh snap, guessed they finally moved it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: nevermind i think i have my answer

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 28, 2013

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

PancakeTransmission posted:

I'm pretty sure Google's design decision with Play Music is to try to make it a walled garden to other apps, especially in terms of songs acquired from All Access, since you "own" those songs less than you "own" your legitimately bought songs. It'd be okay if they would just make the app better to justify not wanting your music out of it, but it's hard for me to like Play Music as it is.

So, any solution would probably be a temporary hack.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, it's silly. I would love to use any other music player (PowerAmp especially) since Play Music always loving skips randomly and even with songs downloaded to the device, it just goes "well, here's the next song while you're halfway through your current one."

Seriously, for a music player, if you gently caress up playback, that's bad.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I use my phone tethered over USB (I use PDAnet for tethering). I am trying to get a feel for AirDroid, but for some reason the app insists on me using my 4g connection to do so much as transfer a file? Why is this?

It "fixes" itself if I tether via WiFi but what a crazy workaround. Is there any way to tell AirDroid the phone is plugged right into the USB port, why do you insist on using a 4G "web" connection to do everything?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just so we're on the same page: you're trying to get AirDroid, an application designed for the sole purpose of managing your Android device wirelessly, to work over a wire?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just so we're on the same page: you're trying to get AirDroid, an application designed for the sole purpose of managing your Android device wirelessly, to work over a wire?

I find AirDroid useful for responding to text messages, uploading files (since MTP is poo poo), using the calendar, etc. from my PC. Is it that strange that I want to do it while it's plugged in as well?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Melmac posted:

I find AirDroid useful for responding to text messages, uploading files (since MTP is poo poo), using the calendar, etc. from my PC. Is it that strange that I want to do it while it's plugged in as well?

I'm curious how you interpret this, taken straight from the app's description on the Play Store.

quote:

AirDroid is a free and fast app that helps you manage your Android from a desk web browser, all over the air.
AirDroid philosophy:
• One less cable.
Move things on and off your Android device without a USB cable. Even when the device is not nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think he just wants to charge the phone while doing AirDroid-y stuff.

• Locked thread