Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

CNN: Guys we need to figure out a new clock to use since our count down to default is done and our count up of the shut down day is done. Any ideas?

God this is the most pathetic poo poo I have ever loving seen please shut down our entire media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I love how there's apparently no protocol for wearing multiple Medals of Honor so he just kinda has that weird swagger going on.

I'm pretty sure somebody that earns multiple medals of honor can just do whatever the gently caress he wants. He could wear them like earrings and really, who is going to tell him he's wrong?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

CNN: Guys we need to figure out a new clock to use since our count down to default is done and our count up of the shut down day is done. Any ideas?

Website slow. Obama bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure somebody that earns multiple medals of honor can just do whatever the gently caress he wants. He could wear them like earrings and really, who is going to tell him he's wrong?

Yea the rule pretty much has to be 'oh you have two medals of honor? Yea do whatever, man, you win the military'.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yasha Levine is not impressed with Malcolm Gladwell's latest neoliberal garbage.

Among the usual "poor people are poo poo, rich people yay!" garbage, Gladwell is apparently now dipping his toes into segregation revisionism:

quote:

In one of the weirder and more disturbing segments of the book, Gladwell tells the story of how the civil rights movement triumphed against the cops of Birmingham, Alabama, and won the hearts and minds of the American public. But in his neoliberal retelling, Martin Luther King and top civil rights organizers are transformed from moral and political activists into a bunch of scrappy PR guys who won because they ran a guerrilla marketing campaign that was better, smarter than that of their segregationist opponents.

To prove his point, Gladwell zeroes in on a famous photograph from a May 1963 demonstration in Birmingham that was brutally broken up by firehoses and police dogs. The picture shows a K-9 cop in a crisp uniform, dark aviator glasses and roundtop hat grabbing a lanky black student by the name of Walter Gadsden, while a snarling German Shepherd prepares to maul the kid's groin. The photo ran on the front page of the New York Times, and it was at the time so shocking and disturbing that President John F Kennedy worried that it would help the Reds expand their influence. Gladwell credits the photo with helping turn public opinion in favor of the civil rights movement, and forcing the federal government into action…

That photo was clearly powerful and iconic, so much so that the vicious police German Shepherd has been immortalized with a bronze statue standing in Birmingham today. But according to Gladwell, the picture was a PR gimmick and clever trick.

The way he tells it, conditions on the streets of Birmingham that day weren't as violent as the people were led to believe. Sure, multiple news reports, eyewitness accounts and photographs showed police dogs attacking black protesters, biting them and ripping their clothes. Gladwell says photos can be deceptive. The truth is that Birmingham’s K-9 unit wasn’t known for violence, racism or bigotry. They were generally nice guys, who just happened to be taking their pups out for a walk that day. If you analyze the photo carefully you can see that the police officer and his snarling german shepherd are not the aggressors. They are the victims of a raging black youth who decided to have a bit of fun by kicking the poor mutt in the jaw.

Here's Gladwell:

quote:

“The officer in the picture is Dick Middleton. He was a modest and reserved man. . . The dog’s name is Leo. Now look at the faces of the black bystanders in the background. Shouldn’t they be surprised or horrified? They’re not. Next, look at the leash in Middleton’s hand. It’s taut, as if he’s trying to restrain Leo. And look at Gadsden’s left hand. He’s gripping Middleton on the forearm. Look at Gadsden’s left leg. He’s kicking Leo, isn’t he? . . . Gadsden wasn’t the martyr, passively leaning forward as if to say, ‘Take me, here I am.’ He’s steadying himself, with a hand on Middleton, so he can deliver a sharper blow. The word around the movement, afterward, was that he’d broken Leo’s jaw. Hudson’s photograph is not at all what the world thought it was.

In reality what happened that was that black protesters taunted the police and sparked the confrontation with the aim of getting some sympathetic press. There was no real bloodshed or violence, and the protest was actually fun and exciting for the black folks involved. But of course that's not how it was reported by the national press hungry for racy headlines, which hyped the violence and compared Birmingham to apartheid South Africa. So in the end, the Americans were duped into supporting the civil rights movement by a crafty PR strategy and sympathetic news media.

It's a very strange revisionist history that strips all the moral and political elements of the civil rights movement out of the story, reducing it to marketing strategy and tactics. But it's also something potentially much more sinister: it promotes the idea that race relations in the South were not as bad as people believe, and that the civil rights movement was some sort of hoax.

Who believes in this conspiracy theory? Take neo-confederate Alabama governor George C. Wallace. He was convinced that the civil rights movement — and the Civil Rights Act that it inspired— was a diabolical plot to impose a tyrannical neo-reconstruction regime on Southern states by pinkos in the federal government. That view is still very much in circulation today. In fact, a decade before “David and Goliath” came out, extreme-libertarian website LewRockwell.com published a column by fringe pro-slavery white supremacist named Gail Jarvis that described Birmingham's protests in almost exactly the same way as Gladwell: that the liberal media elite colluded with uppity southern blacks to stage the civil rights hoax.

"I was a resident of Birmingham during the most turbulent part of the 1960s and I have always wanted to tell 'the other side of the story.'

"I simply wanted to report what wasn’t reported and illustrate how activists, politicos and media collude to stage-manage the news."

Along with the civil rights conspiracy, Jarvis wants to abolish the U.S. Department of Education because it's engaged in “indoctrination and behavior modification." He also thinks blacks were much better off as slaves: "it is a fact that black male would have been much safer in the old Confederacy in the 19th."

Now, if you're asking yourself why Malcolm Gladwell, a celebrity journalist for the New Yorker magazine, is spiking his book with libertarian ideology, anti-union propaganda and weird borderline neo-confederate revisionism…well, then you clearly don't know much about Malcolm Gladwell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Christ I had no idea Gladwell was such an idiot. I read Outliers once and it was pretty decent, when did he go full on crazy?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Christ I had no idea Gladwell was such an idiot. I read Outliers once and it was pretty decent, when did he go full on crazy?

More or less forever, the poo poo he peddled about tobacco mystifies me about how anyone takes him seriously. Also yes, the eXiled and their S.H.A.M.E. project is "partisan" as hell but what the hell.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

LP97S posted:

More or less forever, the poo poo he peddled about tobacco mystifies me about how anyone takes him seriously. Also yes, the eXiled and their S.H.A.M.E. project is "partisan" as hell but what the hell.

Gladwell is a more polished Bill O'Reilly with an intellectual veneer. At the end of the day, both are there to reinforce every prejudice and viewpoint of their older/moneyed audience.

Had he been born in the USSR, he'd be a staunch apparatchik writing articles about how soviet intervention in Afghanistan was actually doing a lot of good, and not letting russian people see Dallas on tv actually spared them of unrealistic western propaganda (Hannity would be shouting on TV that the USSR started going down the tubes when the purges stopped can calling Kruschev and all reformers Communists in Name Only.).

Of course, Andrew Sullivan loves Gladwell with sticky intensity. See, they met once and he was nice!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Malcom Gladwell is like Thomas Friedman, his 'ideology' essentially consists of the idea that fascinating stories are just as good as data and scientific inquiry. He's basically a fiction writer who's made his career peddling meaningless anecdotes and charging 50k a pop for inspirational speeches.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 27, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ahahahahaa, Seriously? JFC, the U.S. media has truly become some sort of hard-to-believe parody (that is not a parody at all).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I remember the first time someone described Malcolm Gladwell to me it seemed like the kind of pop-psych masturbation idiots read to convince themselves there is an instruction manual to success.

Glad to see I was not wrong.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember the first time someone described Malcolm Gladwell to me it seemed like the kind of pop-psych masturbation idiots read to convince themselves there is an instruction manual to success.

Gladwell and his fellow travelers (like the Freakanomics guys) write what are essentially self-help books for people who think they're too smart to read self-help books. Lots of affirmations and simple explanations of complicated psychological phenomena and just-so stories and news-you-can-use morals. Gladwell's previous book carried the core message that brilliant people practice a lot, so if you want to get ahead and succeed in life like Bill Gates, all you need to do is put in the (10,000) hours of hard work! Just a fancier, New Yorker version of self-help, with handwavey pseudo-science replacing new age woo-woo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FMguru posted:

Gladwell and his fellow travelers (like the Freakanomics guys) write what are essentially self-help books for people who think they're too smart to read self-help books. Lots of affirmations and simple explanations of complicated psychological phenomena and just-so stories and news-you-can-use morals. Gladwell's previous book carried the core message that brilliant people practice a lot, so if you want to get ahead and succeed in life like Bill Gates, all you need to do is put in the (10,000) hours of hard work! Just a fancier, New Yorker version of self-help, with handwavey pseudo-science replacing new age woo-woo.

Yeah, I remember someone was telling me how he used Oppenheimer as an example of how persistence can lead to success. It seemed strange to me to say "Look at what he accomplished by being persistent" when the thing he accomplished was the most horrible weapon in human history.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's been a few articles recently about how Malcolm Gladwell is awful, it's almost as if he's reached a tipping point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Awwww, man. I thought Freakonomics was a fun (audio)book. What's wrong with it?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Sunday Talk Show Roundup

FoxNews Sunday :foxnews:

Guests: Bobby Jindal! and House Democratic Caucus Chair, Rep Xavier Becerra (D-CA), and Vice-Chair of the Energy and Commerce Committee, Rep Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)

Panel: Juan Williams Fox News Political Analyst, Peter Baker White House Correspondent, New York Times, George Will, and Brit Hume

Meet The Press

Guests: John Kasich (R-OH) and Steve Beshear (D-KY), House Homeland Security Committee Rep. Peter King (R-NY)

Panel: 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate Rick Santorum; former Michigan Democratic Governor Jennifer Granholm; President of the Center for American Progress Neera Tanden; and Republican strategist Alex Castellanos.

Face The Nation

Guests: Darrell Issa, Jeanne Shaheen, Phil Shenon

Panel: The Wall Street Journal's Peggy Noonan, former Press Secretary to LBJ and former Publisher of the Dallas Times Herald, Tom Johnson, Bob Woodward of the Washington Post, and Phil Shenon, author of "A Cruel and Shocking Act: The Secret History of the Kennedy Assassination"

This Week with George

Guests: Dick Cheney! and Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wy., and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V.

Panel: Democratic strategist and ABC News contributor Donna Brazile, co-host of CNN’s Crossfire S.E. Cupp, former Vermont governor and founder of Democracy for America Howard Dean, and Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol. Plus, anchor Jorge Ramos

:psyduck: Holy gently caress, MTP is going all out this week. What a fine selection of anti-Obamacare guests all-around!

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 27, 2013

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Jennifer Granholme! :swoon:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Guys, someone who was in the same Princeton graduating class as Michelle Obama is a Vice President at the company that built the Obamacare website and The Daily Caller is ON IT!!

quote:

Townes-Whitley and her Princeton classmate Michelle Obama are both members of the Association of Black Princeton Alumni.

Both are black, both went to Princeton, the connections just keep piling up, people.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Guys, someone who was in the same Princeton graduating class as Michelle Obama is a Vice President at the company that built the Obamacare website and The Daily Caller is ON IT!!

Both are black, both went to Princeton, the connections just keep piling up, people.

This is a BIG FAT SOLYNDRA! Deja Vu all over again. Exactly how much of this multi- trillion dollar tax we call ACA will find its way into the Obama's back pocket? The billionare Putin, who swiped his billions from the Russian people, has nothing on the crook Obama.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sir Tonk posted:

Meet The Press

Guests: John Kasich (R-OH) and Steve Beshear (D-KY), House Homeland Security Committee Rep. Peter King (R-NY)

Panel: 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate Rick Santorum; former Michigan Democratic Governor Jennifer Granholm; President of the Center for American Progress Neera Tanden; and Republican strategist Alex Castellanos.

:psyduck: Holy gently caress, MTP is going all out this week. What a fine selection of anti-Obamacare guests all-around!

There's no one better at getting their rhetoric steamrolled by conservatives than Jennifer Granholm.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Soonmot posted:

Awwww, man. I thought Freakonomics was a fun (audio)book. What's wrong with it?

It is a fun book but its explanations and arguments are oversimplified and manipulated to support the point the authors want to make (in other words, they often used faulty data to support their points. Also known as lying). The first book is not that bad but the second one is a steaming pile of (very obvious) poo poo. Global warning? Pffft, no problem. Just make some Volcanoes explode and everything fixed! Or something. My proof? That's how we have fixed completely unrelated problems on a much smaller scale.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Today on The Wilkow Majority: The only reason people aren't starting new car companies in America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Motors) is because of the government bailouts and government regulation! Anybody can break into the music industry because there isn't any government regulation, so why can't car companies be the same!? If I can make a rap mix tape in my basement and sell it online, car manufacturing should be the same! Yeah, man. The amount of capital you need to manufacture loving CARS is the same amount you need to buy a condenser mic, a keyboard, Frootyloops, and Audacity. Good loving point.

Nevermind that according to his own Libertarian views, the major car companies have established themselves because they are true titans of industry. The world has no obligation to welcome new competitors who couldn't possibly match the money and power that Honda/Ford/Ect. earned through decades of diligent bootstrapping.

The arguments on this program cannot be broken! We are right, they are wrong, end of story! :suicide:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the Naval War of 1812 is actually pretty interesting; all of America's victories were minor, but the fact that America *had* naval victories against England was *hugely* demoralizing to the British, who were used to total naval supremacy. Strategically they were of no significance but they were huge moral victories.
1812 was actually a testament to the American ship builders and naval tradition. Most of the minor victories were brilliantly executed, often against larger forces.

It was a major statement about the state of American business and industry. Domestic R&D, too. Just everything domestic was coming of age.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Does anyone have any good weekend local radio nuts? I love the weekend talent because they just scrape the bottom of the barrel for filler between paid programs for supplements and real estate scams.

One we get around here is Lisa Benson. She's basically a schizophrenic who thinks that every Muslim in the country is an undercover agent sent here to infiltrate our government and society to institute sharia law. It's kind of funny and sad at the same time when she tells stories explaining how she investigated random Muslim-looking person number 16543 that happened to wander into her field of vision. All of the commercials on her show are trying to sell her services as a public speaker. That's how I know she has a website!
http://nationalsecurityspeaker.com/portfolios/lisa-benson-radio/

Another show is FreedomStorm, which is a loving awesome name if you're a cruise missile. It's pretty much what you'd expect from the name. Low rent as poo poo. According to google it doesn't even exist.

Then there's the middle east radio forum. If you want to hear the most stereotypical sounding Jewish man ever explain how Israel is awesome and every other country in the middle east is full of bloodthirsty savages then this is your best bet.
http://middleeastradioforum.org/

So yeah, weekend conservative radio is pretty much the public access version of crazy radio personalities.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Isn't the weekend where we get the "Agenda 21 Radio" on the "Second Amendment Radio Network" with the tagline "Time to take off the tinfoil hats and put on the kevlar helmets"?

EDIT
It was a thing when I was out west but I never heard from it since.
The first search for it, naturally, leads me to freep.

EDIT2
It's on live right now! PS, it autoplays.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 27, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Conservative painter Jon McNaughton has written a book! In it, the high school football star, Josh, who is totally not a stand in for the author has to battle the forces of darkness to win the state championship game.

quote:

“No soul shall hunger under my rule. Nobody will be without. And I will make them all obey me so that the whole world will be saved.”

“That sounds like Socialism to me, Satan. Under your plan, we all suffer together. That is why you have been a liar from the beginning. Leave me, Satan, I will not follow you.” Josh held up his bright sword as his light shown around him.

I hate it when Satan tries to make me lose football games with the temptation of Socialism! :argh:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Joementum posted:

I hate it when Satan tries to make me lose football games with the temptation of Socialism! :argh:
The dark lord said we should share the work load between running and passing. But the free market only has one play: PASS. EVERY. DOWN.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Joementum posted:

Conservative painter Jon McNaughton has written a book! In it, the high school football star, Josh, who is totally not a stand in for the author has to battle the forces of darkness to win the state championship game.

...That quote isn't seriously painting the idea that no one should starve in a first world nation as a Satanic idea, is it? :psyduck: These people do know that Jesus fed the poor, right? Right?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

The dark lord said we should share the work load between running and passing. But the free market only has one play: PASS. EVERY. DOWN.

The free market is Andy Reid?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Joementum posted:

I like the title. "Knight of-" usually indicates that the bearer of the title is a paragon of whatever he or she is knight of. So the lead character is a paragon of baseless fears, a pretty good figure for the modern conservative movement.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

aBagorn posted:

The free market is Andy Reid?

Andy Reid, Ayn Rand, hmmm are they brothers?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

One we get around here is Lisa Benson.

Is it the same Lisa Benson as the political cartoonist?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

Burn the manuscript! Burn it!

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

quote:

“Just keep moving,” he thought as he walked with his sternum up…

“My name is Josh,” he said with his sternum up.

Josh walked through the front doors, his sternum was up and his crooked smile began to shine.

Josh walked tall and confident, with his sternum up, as he went to his locker.

I'm not sure this man knows what a sternum is.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Maybe he walks leaning backward.

Uh oh Josh has vascular dementia.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Nice Davis posted:

Burn the manuscript! Burn it!

"Fine Art"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HaitianDivorce posted:

...That quote isn't seriously painting the idea that no one should starve in a first world nation as a Satanic idea, is it? :psyduck: These people do know that Jesus fed the poor, right? Right?

I think it's a little more subtle than that. It's saying that socialism (and solving hunger, etc.) is a Satanic temptation, a deal that's too good to be true. The world is sinful, and anyone who promises to solve fundamental problems is probably just trying to screw you because those fundamental problems are God's tests to the individual, not societal issues to just be solved, so they can't possibly live up to their promises.

Basically the paranoid conservative mindset in a nutshell. The status quo cannot be altered in a positive way except by God, so all attempts to do so by man are fated to fail and anyone peddling solutions is a liar. It conveniently forgets that Jesus wanted people to try anyway.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 28, 2013

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Joementum posted:

Y'know, with the way he's holding that sword its almost like he's trying to compensate for something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Jazerus posted:

I think it's a little more subtle than that. It's saying that socialism (and solving hunger, etc.) is a Satanic temptation, a deal that's too good to be true. The world is sinful, and anyone who promises to solve fundamental problems is probably just trying to screw you because those fundamental problems are God's tests to the individual, not societal issues to just be solved, so they can't possibly live up to their promises.

Basically the paranoid conservative mindset in a nutshell. The status quo cannot be altered in a positive way except by God, so all attempts to do so by man are fated to fail and anyone peddling solutions is a liar. It conveniently forgets that Jesus wanted people to try anyway.

Note how he tacks on the cartoonish "I will make them all obey me" to the end of the quote to illustrate that any offer to help the poor is inevitably a front for bloodthirsty communism. I think they've fully embraced the Randian worldview and this is just another attempt to justify it, by arguing that any effort by the state to provide a safety net will inevitably lead to a complete breakdown of traditional society. I don't think it's a moral/religious issue to them at all, just purely ideological.