Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a loving video game. Hell, I even find EV training and move breeding kind of fun but bitching about people wanting to skip all the loving tedium of getting not-garbage IV's just because you're insane enough to be willing to waste that much time is stupid.
It's me, I'm the toxic community member who loves Super Training and thinks it's the best EV addition ever. I could do that poo poo all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
How's this for a core:

Scizor
Technician / Adamant
Scizorite
Uturn
Bulletpunch
Swords Dance
Roost

Togekiss
Timid / Serene Grace
Airslash
Roost
Nasty Plot
Dazzling Gleam

I really want to use Scizor but I'm not sure how to synergise him. I was also thinking Togekiss / Volcarona / M-Gengar?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to be honest, Pokemon Aime has probably gotten me to catch more Pokemon this time around then I ever have previously, because now I literally don't care if they have crappy stats or if I've caught one in every game previous, I just want to pet them.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The White Dragon posted:

It's me, I'm the toxic community member who loves Super Training and thinks it's the best EV addition ever. I could do that poo poo all day.

I'm totally in your camp on that. Super Training is a blast, my only real regret is that it isn't tied to the Pokemon-Amie in any way. If you could bond with your poke-buddy by shooting balloons with balls it would be the best thing. It is a little more time consuming than hordes, but it's also a lot easier (you can figure out the entire thing in-game) and more transparent, which I think works heavily in its favor as an EV addition.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes. How dare you don't spend dozens of hours accomplishing the same thing while cross referencing multiple websites and message boards trying to figure out how to breed X move onto Pokemon Y and then breeding and hatching dozens upon dozens to get the perfect IVs you want!

It's a loving video game. Hell, I even find EV training and move breeding kind of fun but bitching about people wanting to skip all the loving tedium of getting not-garbage IV's just because you're insane enough to be willing to waste that much time is stupid.

Nobody in the thread is saying anything like this.

VVVV Where did I complain about that? All I did was point out that breeding isn't a quick process still and that some pokemon can't be breed period. I then asked why people who hacked didn't just use the online simulators, because I have no clue about what reason most people would hack for. Calm down, you're getting ridiculously defensive over nothing.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 27, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Internet Kraken posted:

Then what's your complaint about people using poo poo like Pokecheck to get good IVs again?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I just don't get why you aren't playing an online simulator if you're just going to cheat pokemon that are perfect at everything into your party.

My Pokemon and your Pokemon are identical in every single way. You obtained yours from an event. I generated mine from the Wonder Card long after the event is over.

What advantage is it in a battle just because mine is hacked and yours isn't?

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I think I just beat up a child that challenged me and now I feel bad. :smith:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It'd be interesting if the next Pokemon gen introduced a kind of "Fantasy Pokemon" battle system that worked like the simulator does. Just throw together whatever crazy team you want and take it online, separate from your "real" team.

I love the moveset metagame of Pokemon but the associated grind has kept me from ever engaging with it, and the existence of hacks like this suggests I'm probably not alone. I don't think it would break anything or invalidate the fun of "real" breeding to add the fantasy layer on top of it.

EDIT: To add a little spice to it, you could only put Pokemon you've caught or raised into the Fantasy Simulator, but you can still give them any move/ability/nature possible.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 27, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Internet Kraken posted:

VVVV Where did I complain about that? All I did was point out that breeding isn't a quick process still and that some pokemon can't be breed period. I then asked why people who hacked didn't just use the online simulators, because I have no clue about what reason most people would hack for. Calm down, you're getting ridiculously defensive over nothing.

Sorry, you asking why all the people who hack/pokecheck don't just play the simulators instead of playing the actual games kind of comes off as "They should just leave the game to us."

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

It'd be interesting if the next Pokemon gen introduced a kind of "Fantasy Pokemon" battle system that worked like the simulator does. Just throw together whatever crazy team you want and take it online, separate from your "real" team.

That's why they invented Pokebattle Simulators. :v:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

You are sounding WAY too defensive over this silly video game related thing dude.

I can get where Internet Kraken is coming from though. It does seem weird that people would even bother playing the game if they are going to just bring in perfect stats everything. Going for the online simulators sound like they would be the easier, faster, more logical choice since it would be effectively the same thing as bringing perfect stats mons in to the games anyways.

The only real advantage I could see of the former over the latter is bringing stuff in to destroy children and casual players online, which seems like a douche move. An even more arseholish one if you didn't even bother to put in the time to deal with the RNG and breed perfect mons.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is it possible to even use the Pokecheck thing right now? Honestly, if I can stop this multi day hunt for a shiny Elekid, please show me how.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Stalgren posted:

Would you have felt better if you had lost to a child?

On the topic of EV training, I thought Super Training was pretty intuitive and a nice gateway for people to learn about competitive Pokemon, not to mention it rewards you with stones and the like. I did it like three times until I realized horde training is like 10 times faster, either way the point is training is so easy now that you really shouldn't care if someone is using Pokesteroids and Sav'd up a battlemon. Don't most tourney-goers use "perfect" Pokemon anyway? There's a lot of shinies in that and no one bats an eye because nobody gives a poo poo how long it took you to do (x), only that you know how to battle with that team.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Is it possible to even use the Pokecheck thing right now? Honestly, if I can stop this multi day hunt for a shiny Elekid, please show me how.

It still works just fine in Gen 5 and there's no reason why legal Pokemon won't be able to be transferred when Bank is out.

Crawfish posted:

You are sounding WAY too defensive over this silly video game related thing dude.

I can get where Internet Kraken is coming from though. It does seem weird that people would even bother playing the game if they are going to just bring in perfect stats everything. Going for the online simulators sound like they would be the easier, faster, more logical choice since it would be effectively the same thing as bringing perfect stats mons in to the games anyways.

The only real advantage I could see of the former over the latter is bringing stuff in to destroy children and casual players online, which seems like a douche move. An even more arseholish one if you didn't even bother to put in the time to deal with the RNG and breed perfect mons.

Nobody's saying anything about perfect stats and even if they were, perfect or near perfect is very possible in Pokemon. I mean the difference between hacking in Gen 6 (which, at this time, is not a widespread thing) and getting near perfect Pokemon is the difference of a couple of hours. There's no inherent advantage hacked Pokemon have over legit Pokemon so like, what's the big deal?

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 27, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Stalgren posted:

How is he different from all those youngsters you crushed to get to the Elite Four? Not everyone's champion material, y'know? Those rattatas you killed taught them a valuable lesson. They better study pokemedicine or something and get a lowly job at a pokecenter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't care about hacking for your own enjoyment, you can do whatever you want with your game. Personally I'd never do it because it'd ruin the appeal of the game for me. Raising pokemon can be tedious but the work involved make them feel more special. They're just a bunch of pixels but I have fun raising them and when I've put a lot of effort into raising one, it makes fighting and winning with them more rewarding. There's no fundamental gameplay advantage between my perfect IV Noivern and one someone could just hack in, but it feels different to me. It's stupid but hey, that is what I like about these games

As far as online goes, I'm just worried I'll be playing against a bunch of :effort: teams of max IV/good nature shiny legendaries that are boring and dull. I don't know how prevalent that will be though.

One thing I REALLY don't get is hacking for shinies though. What's the point? I like to view shinies as a pleasant surprise. Most of them have goofy color schemes that look worse than the original anyways. Seeing one is neat since they are rare, but making them super common would reduce them to ugly reskins.

Stalgren posted:

I've had this happen a few times. Sometimes I feel bad, other times it is funny, like this match;

LTJG-WWWW-WWWX-V373

Some kid called :byodood:CHAOS:byodood: challenges me to a match. I accept, and proceed to crush him with a Mime and a Bat.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 27, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

notthegoatseguy posted:

It still works just fine in Gen 5 and there's no reason why legal Pokemon won't be able to be transferred when Bank is out.

Yeah but that requires time and impatience is my air.

Anyway, I don't think it's really a big deal as of yet. I too hate when things get hacked out it the rear end in a top hat, I do, but my joy in competitive battling is between friends and it's never been about how to get the best Pokes, but rather how we use them. The game is still fun and the fun is arguably had between people you can trust or in singularity. I'll just keep to that but HOLY poo poo HATCHING A SHINY ELEKID IS HARD

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Can anyone recommend a good electric and/or plant pokemon that can learn Cut? I just beat the Mega Evolution girl, for reference to the area I'm in.

I have a Simisage who has Cut right now and doubles as my water type counter, but it doesn't seem like he's learned a plant move in forever. Vine whip only goes so far at level 36.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I think I'm like the only goon around who doesn't have a Modest Protean Froakie at this point. Delphox sucks and I hate him. Chespin is even worse.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
How does the ability inheritance work in this game? I'm having a hell of a time consistently getting huge power on my marills. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blackheart posted:

How is he different from all those youngsters you crushed to get to the Elite Four? Not everyone's champion material, y'know? Those rattatas you killed taught them a valuable lesson. They better study pokemedicine or something and get a lowly job at a pokecenter.
This is a whole other :can:, all the champions seem to go on to be losers who mope in Mewtwo's Cave all day waiting for someone to challenge them, or they just disappear. Gary Oak is like the only champion who found steady employment.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Diantha still has her acting career.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Steven is still the CEO of the biggest company in Hoenn

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Seven boxes full of furfrou and not one shiny yet.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I think I'm like the only goon around who doesn't have a Modest Protean Froakie at this point. Delphox sucks and I hate him. Chespin is even worse.

I don't have one either because I generally can't stand the water type.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lance won his title back. Steven was in a cave, but he wasn't moping, he just likes caves, and he's independently wealthy regardless. Cynthia's either an archaeologist full-time or spends half the year freeloading in Caitlin's villa. Alder opens up a dojo after he's dethroned, and of course Diantha only became the champion as a hobby.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
And isn't Lance some kind of Organised Crime fighting Dragon Lord?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Goons hating Delphox have bad taste in starter Pokemon. It's like you guys skipped Gen 4 and 5 or something where the starters were actually godawful.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Cynthia's like an archeologist or something isn't she?

Alder is a teacher now.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Fibby Boy posted:

I don't have one either because I generally can't stand the water type.

This was the worst decision I've made re:a starter since I picked Piplup. I can't even seem to get a Froakie off Wonder Trade like y'all seem to. The odds for getting good Pokemon on Wonder Trade have been really low for me

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Cynthia is still one of the coolest people in the Poke-Universe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Volt Catfish posted:

Goons hating Delphox have bad taste in starter Pokemon. It's like you guys skipped Gen 4 and 5 or something where the starters were actually godawful.

The middle evolution for Fenneken is awesome. It looks like it's going for an awesome witch with broom thing for its third evo.

And then the third evolution comes and it's... that awful thing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

Lance won his title back. Steven was in a cave, but he wasn't moping, he just likes caves, and he's independently wealthy regardless. Cynthia's either an archaeologist full-time or spends half the year freeloading in Caitlin's villa. Alder opens up a dojo after he's dethroned, and of course Diantha only became the champion as a hobby.

I meant more like the player character. Red's just a bum and you don't even hear about Gold and Silver and whoever. I've always thought that the champion was, like, the guy who beat the Elite Four, not the actual fourth one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GeckoMissingo posted:

How does the ability inheritance work in this game? I'm having a hell of a time consistently getting huge power on my marills. :(

When breeding without ditto, 80% of the time the ability passed down will be the females. The other 20% it will instead be random. When breeding with hidden abilities, I think 60% of the time the hidden ability will be inherited regardless of which parent has it.

I have no idea how ability inheritance works with ditto though. I think if the nonditto is female it's the normal rolls, but if it is male it's just random.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Fennekin and its evolutions are practically every major stage in Beyonce's career.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Volt Catfish posted:

:crossarms:

Gen4 had probably the best starter designs of any Gen, especially Torterra. 5 maybe, but it's saved by Serperior which is the best design of any starter and possibly and Pokemon :colbert:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I meant more like the player character. Red's just a bum and you don't even hear about Gold and Silver and whoever. I've always thought that the champion was, like, the guy who beat the Elite Four, not the actual fourth one.

If you beat the Elite Four and the Champion, you become the Champion. However, you can't remain the Champion if you disappear, decide you'd rather do something else, attain CHIM, etc.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Volt Catfish posted:

Oi, gently caress you. Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape are all great. :colbert: How can you not like a starter who's fire tail is powered by farts?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This was the worst decision I've made re:a starter since I picked Piplup. I can't even seem to get a Froakie off Wonder Trade like y'all seem to. The odds for getting good Pokemon on Wonder Trade have been really low for me

Think the worst starter decision I ever made was picking up Tepig. The one I got was so godawful that it had its poo poo pushed in the the normal gym leader's Watchog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

:crossarms:

Gen4 had probably the best starter designs of any Gen, especially Torterra. 5 maybe, but it's saved by Serperior which is the best design of any starter and possibly and Pokemon :colbert:

If we ever get Serperior's hidden ability it'll become one of the best pokemon in the entire game. Both of the Water and Fire starters are significantly better than they've been in a while, Grass still blows though.

• Locked thread