Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I feel really bad for Yasuho. Just so many creeps constantly around her.

EDIT: Spiolers for the latest chapter of Jojo. Link is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Well that escalated quickly. Almost raped twice in one chapter? What the hell, Araki?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MelvinBison posted:

Well that escalated quickly. Almost raped twice in one chapter? What the hell, Araki?

This is what, the third time in part 8? Whatever the hell happened in the tree and then the stuff in this chapter. Jeeze. :(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Aurora posted:

I have to wonder if Josuke is going to beat the poo poo out of Tsurugi at the end of this or not. We haven't had an ORAORAORA since the beginning.

Dunno about Tsurugi but Joshuu could use an rear end kicking after this chapter. Christ.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Dunno about Tsurugi but Joshuu could use an rear end kicking after this chapter. Christ.

I really thought he was going to be a straight parallel with Okuyasu but he's so much more of a dick.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Schneider Heim posted:

(There's a compilation of 1-4 in the related links)

Watching this made me realize that a ton of Part 3's Stands are tarot cards.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schubalts posted:

Watching this made me realize that a ton of Part 3's Stands are tarot cards.

How did you not realize that before? It's literally a plot point.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I read it years ago and knew basically nothing about tarot at the time?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Schubalts posted:

I read it years ago and knew basically nothing about tarot at the time?

The manga explicitly mentions that they're named after tarot cards, every single stand in part 3 with the exception of Cream and Tenore Sax is named after tarot cards. This is mentioned at least 3 times.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Uznare posted:

The manga explicitly mentions that they're named after tarot cards, every single stand in part 3 with the exception of Cream and Tenore Sax is named after tarot cards. This is mentioned at least 3 times.

And the Egyptian Gods too.

What was the point of that anyway? Abdul was confused as hell when they came across the first Egyptian God stand iirc and I never really understood why the stands could ~only~ be named after tarot cards up until that point. I mean, why couldn't they be named after something else? It's surprising enough as it is that the rest of the stand users that Abdul didn't name himself decided to stick with the tarot card theme for so long y'know?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the point of that anyway? Abdul was confused as hell when they came across the first Egyptian God stand iirc and I never really understood why the stands could ~only~ be named after tarot cards up until that point. I mean, why couldn't they be named after something else? It's surprising enough as it is that the rest of the stand users that Abdul didn't name himself decided to stick with the tarot card theme for so long y'know?

It makes about as much sense as everybody from part 4 on agreeing to name their stands after bands, songs, and albums.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

FirstAidKite posted:

They're part of the "origin" of the Tarot this is addressed on volume 20 with N'Doul's first appearance.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 27, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kabanaw posted:

It makes about as much sense as everybody from part 4 on agreeing to name their stands after bands, songs, and albums.

And people knowing that their ability is called a stand, or knowing the rules of them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

And people knowing that their ability is called a stand, or knowing the rules of them.

To be fair, a lot of the time characters didn't know they were called stands unless they'd explicitly been told by someone who did know.

And then Mountain Tim saunters in and is all "yeah they're called stands because I loving said so" because he's loving Mountain Tim.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
All horses bow to Mountain Tim, so you know he's an authority on weirdness.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

RatHat posted:

So I was just doing my thing, punching some Polaroid cameras and TVs, when the craziest thing happened!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HitTheTargets posted:

So I was just doing my thing, punching some Polaroid cameras and TVs, when the craziest thing happened!

Hey, where'd this outlet come from? poo poo I'M MAGNETS.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, where'd this outlet come from? poo poo I'M MAGNETS.
"Strange, veal scallopini usually doesn't make someone's thigh muscles burst out of their skin."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I would love to know the trial and error process of the HAIL 2 U guy discovering his bizarrely specific power.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

HitTheTargets posted:

This doesn't seem all that out of character for Joseph to be honest.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Joseph and Suzie Q are sitting at home watching TV when all of a sudden the image starts flickering with flashes of Josuke's mom.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Echoes act 3 outright explained his power to Koichi so maybe it works a bit like that for some stands.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'd depend on the stand, I suppose. Echoes showed some degree of sentience, as did Hey Ya! and Anubis, but some don't even have a real 'corporeal form.'

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think to some degree understanding of the stand's abilities just come naturally like a sort of muscle memory; they're an extension of the soul / mind after all, and their behavior and mechanisms is intrinsically built into their very nature. Jotaro didn't understand what his Stand was, but he still was able to "control" it to a degree.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Really? I thought the implication was that it was just doing poo poo for him on it's own (or subconsciously, I guess?), what with it getting him poo poo in jail and beating the poo poo out of punks trying to fight him (the entire reason he locks himself in jail)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

darealkooky posted:

Really? I thought the implication was that it was just doing poo poo for him on it's own (or subconsciously, I guess?), what with it getting him poo poo in jail and beating the poo poo out of punks trying to fight him (the entire reason he locks himself in jail)

Ya, but Star Platinum was stealing books about mysticism and the occult for Jotaro while he was in prison (despite the 2m range put in place later on, wingo wango Araki Plothole). Since stands are a reflection of yourself like Zorak said, and Jotaro was trying to figure out what was going, he was controlling Star Platinum to an extent, since it was bringing him research materials.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There's also RPS Kid who develops his stand mid-RPG game and then uses it to try and steal a stand.

Figuring out what his does, what he can do with it, what the ghost he's sucking out of Rohan into his own face is, and why it lets him control part of Rohan's body in such a short time would all but have to mean that Stands are intuitive to a degree.

Let's not even talk about Strength.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Endorph posted:

I would love to know the trial and error process of the HAIL 2 U guy discovering his bizarrely specific power.

I'd like to know how the Notorious BIG guy discovered his power.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'd like to know how the Notorious BIG guy discovered his power.

He didnt, maybe he was just heinously incompetent and when he confronted Passione on the airstrip he really thought he could take them all on himself.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Meme Emulator posted:

Ya, but Star Platinum was stealing books about mysticism and the occult for Jotaro while he was in prison (despite the 2m range put in place later on, wingo wango Araki Plothole). Since stands are a reflection of yourself like Zorak said, and Jotaro was trying to figure out what was going, he was controlling Star Platinum to an extent, since it was bringing him research materials.
Clearly the guards or other prisoners were reading books on esoteric poo poo for Star Platinum to steal along with the handgun and stereo. :colbert:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Meme Emulator posted:

He didnt, maybe he was just heinously incompetent and when he confronted Passione on the airstrip he really thought he could take them all on himself.

Except that you see Cioccolata and Secco openly talking about BIG (trying to figure out if it counts as something dead) even though they would have no reason to ever have seen it in action. Someone knew how his power worked, or else he wouldn't have acted the way he did on the airstrip.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Well clearly they had the power of plot hole.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Maybe B.I.G. brings it's user back to life once it kills the target?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Maremidon posted:

Maybe B.I.G. brings it's user back to life once it kills the target?

I always was under the assumption B.I.G. controlled the host and drove them to death so it could activate properly.

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!
I was always under the impression that by nature there was something about stands and their being a personification of some sort of psychological/spiritual energy that made understanding one's own stand ability, no matter how absurd, second nature to the user. After that just how well the user can manipulate/understand their stand's ability largely depends on how willing they are to experiment with it and/or accept it without worrying too much about what the gently caress it is or what it is that it's doing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, it can't be innate understanding, because otherwise Jotaro would have known he could stop time from the get-go.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

Well, it can't be innate understanding, because otherwise Jotaro would have known he could stop time from the get-go.

I would equate that to the same way Echoes had 3 acts, but Hirose wasn't able to use all three from the get go. Stands are like people, they can develop over time. Or I'm blowing hot air, but I like the idea that a stand can develop when the user develops as a person, being a part of the soul and what not.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Fiend Computer posted:

I would equate that to the same way Echoes had 3 acts, but Hirose wasn't able to use all three from the get go. Stands are like people, they can develop over time. Or I'm blowing hot air, but I like the idea that a stand can develop when the user develops as a person, being a part of the soul and what not.

I was just rereading Stone Ocean and Hermes has no idea how Kiss works when she first gets it. This is in stark contrast with when Kira gets Bites The Dust and immediately knows all about how it works down to the smallest detail. I think the series is just mad inconsistent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The way I've always taken that inconsistency is that the rules basically change from Stand to Stand. Some give you the whole 9 yards from the get-go and some just leave you to flounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Stands: They Just Work

I guess if you take the users' personalities into consideration you MIGHT be able to explain some things. Jotaro couldn't fully manifest Star Platinum until he was confronted by Magician's Red and accepted it as a part of himself as he's a teenager still figuring himself out (his medium just happens to be through violence; the range inconsistancy might be because it's trying to help him but the 'evil spirit' mentality he had was holding him back). Kira's meticulous personality created Killer Queen because he'd want to be able to destroy all evidence of his crimes.

• Locked thread