Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Anyone who buys this game should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
No deal unless I can play with Sir Isaac of Clarke's armor.

ninjedit - chocobo armor DLC.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I've bought every single FF game since 4. I... I'm not sure what to do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Full disclosure, the dress-up portion stirs guilty urges in me. Resonance of Fate left a deep mark.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

Apropos of nothing, FFXIII:LR Catwalk time:
The majority of these have been seen in the thread before, I believe, but whatever:

Firstly, from the Bizzare Proportions range:

The, Hey, Remember the Much Better FF Games? set:

From the Giraffe-neck Samurai collection:

And finally:

:frogc00l:

Holy crap, every single one of these suck balls. This is definitely nothing like X-2.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

Full disclosure, the dress-up portion stirs guilty urges in me. Resonance of Fate left a deep mark.

I spent hours picking outfits in RoF and Xenoblade, not to mention Saint's Row 2. Too bad almost every single outfit in this game looks like poo poo.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

I couldn't play that game for more than a few hours, but I'll be completely honest and say that at least half of the time was spent playing dress-up with my fabulously dressed team of gunslingers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the costumes in LR are loving awful but they also appear to be largely optional and there are a handful of non-terrible costumes you can stick with, which is frankly a step up from FFX-2's "terrible costumes completely tied to skillset."

I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to play FFX-3 but terrible costumes are not really the worst crime a Final Fantasy game has omitted. This isn't even the first Final Fantasy game to base the job system around wearing various lovely outfits.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 27, 2013

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Wait those pics are all real? Why does her face look photoshopped in every one

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They seem to think they can replace quality of character design and development with quantity.

'Hey we have no idea what we're doing with this series and are basically assembling a Frankenstein's Monster game built from focus group reports but dressing Lightning up as a loli Red Mage or ~character from better game~ totally counts as a meaningful gameplay feature, right?'

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's weird that she has shoulders in some of those costumes but not in others. I usually think costumes are fun, but not like this. Not like this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

They seem to think they can replace quality of character design and development with quantity.

'Hey we have no idea what we're doing with this series and are basically assembling a Frankenstein's Monster game built from focus group reports but dressing Lightning up as a loli Red Mage or ~character from better game~ totally counts as a meaningful gameplay feature, right?'

"You can change your character's outfit and customize that outfit" is in fact the definition of a meaningful gameplay feature, yes. Like to the point many games will put it on their box or sell additional costumes as DLC.

As I said, I don't think much of the designs (or Toriyama's creepiness) here but the ability to widely customize your character is generally an actual legitimate good selling point that people enjoy. Hell, it's one of the selling points of the new Pokemon game.

At least in Lightning Returns the existence of one or two good costumes means you can avoid having to stare at the atrocity that is her default costume for the entire game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 27, 2013

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Being that I still think the Dress Sphere system of X-2 was one of my favorite systems ever, I'm giving XIII-3 the benefit of the doubt.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"You can change your character's outfit and customize that outfit" is in fact the definition of a meaningful gameplay feature, yes. Like to the point many games will put it on their box or sell additional costumes as DLC.

As I said, I don't think much of the designs (or Toriyama's creepiness) here but the ability to widely customize your character is generally an actual legitimate good selling point that people enjoy. Hell, it's one of the selling points of the new Pokemon game.

Okay, 'gameplay' might not be the word, but it seems to show the game's complete lack of its own identity or character. I mean aside from their awful technical implementation it looks like a good majority of those costumes are pandering, either to creeps or fanboys, and not actually there because they add anything of value to the game's aesthetics or even the gameplay systems, they're just lowest common denominator fanservice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Okay, 'gameplay' might not be the word, but it seems to show the game's complete lack of its own identity or character. I mean aside from their awful technical implementation it looks like a good majority of those costumes are pandering, either to creeps or fanboys, and not actually there because they add anything of value to the game's aesthetics or even the gameplay systems, they're just lowest common denominator fanservice.

Yeah, speaking as someone who enjoys DOTA/LoL style games, welcome to companies selling costumes. :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

She's like that Far Side cartoon of the moods of an irish setter.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It's just plain depressing to see the name Final Fantasy attached to poo poo like this. It's not to say that the series was ever once "above" this, but...you know what, maybe it was. At the very least it was a lot better at it. I mean, if you're going to play dress-up, at least go ahead and make it funny.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
People seem pretty loving judgmental based off some lovely quality screenshots. Like seriously, the quality of those screenshots is loving awful. Maybe wait until the game is out and you can see this stuff in action before you poo poo on it. Nevermind, I forgot that the goon echo chamber must react with violent repulsion to all things FF13 related.

Half of the dress spheres in FFX-2 were retarded as gently caress, but goddamn if the gameplay wasn't fun as hell.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I dunno guys, the first one's as gross as you'd expect but after that it's just vaguely-gothic coats and FF references. She's standing in a vaguely-gothic city in an FF game, go figure.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

I think the costumes in LR are loving awful but they also appear to be largely optional and there are a handful of non-terrible costumes you can stick with, which is frankly a step up from FFX-2's "terrible costumes completely tied to skillset."

I haven't really been following XIII-3 info, but it seems like her costumes ARE tied to her skillset to some degree. I saw a couple minutes of gameplay where she had to switch between costumes to perform attacks while her other costumes "recharged." So it's not like you can just find one you like and stick with it.

Although I gotta admit, the Locke costume looks pretty sweet. Its sad that we're finally getting to a level of technology that can do Amano designs justice long after his influence is gone.

Edit: Also, at least 6 distinct samurai outfits? WTF?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Schwartzcough posted:

I haven't really been following XIII-3 info, but it seems like her costumes ARE tied to her skillset to some degree. I saw a couple minutes of gameplay where she had to switch between costumes to perform attacks while her other costumes "recharged." So it's not like you can just find one you like and stick with it.

Although I gotta admit, the Locke costume looks pretty sweet. Its sad that we're finally getting to a level of technology that can do Amano designs justice long after his influence is gone.

If they each come with a katana, I'd say they know their target audience well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mordiceius posted:

People seem pretty loving judgmental based off some lovely quality screenshots. Like seriously, the quality of those screenshots is loving awful. Maybe wait until the game is out and you can see this stuff in action before you poo poo on it. Nevermind, I forgot that the goon echo chamber must react with violent repulsion to all things FF13 related.

Half of the dress spheres in FFX-2 were retarded as gently caress, but goddamn if the gameplay wasn't fun as hell.

Those screenshots could be ultra-high resolution publicity shots and they'd still look disproportional as poo poo. It has nothing to do with the quality of the stills and everything to do with the design itself. Don't let that stop you from white knighting for a lovely video game franchise though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

From what I've read, you're not shifting between costumes directly, you're shifting between Schemata, which are customizable with weapons, accessories, skills, costumes, ect. It's basically Paradigm Shift only you're changing everything.

"Garb" is one of the things listed on the Schemata customization screen as seen here. I think the idea is that they do offer passive boosts (you can see a slot for their passive boost on the right) but (especially being a Final Fantasy game) it's unlikely to be difficult enough that you have to wear the loving awful catgirl outfit for ~maximum buffs~ to win a fight.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 27, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tempo 119 posted:

I dunno guys, the first one's as gross as you'd expect but after that it's just vaguely-gothic coats and FF references. She's standing in a vaguely-gothic city in an FF game, go figure.

Nah, they're clearly all poo poo for no real reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey, don't be knocking the suit.

I mean the proportions are hosed but the suit itself is just a normal suit. Maybe a bit boxy or stiff. Loosen up that collar a bit Lightning, it's not like the universe can fire you.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schwartzcough posted:

They each come from particular sets of pre-order DLC.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Being down the the flu has it's advantages (besides wrecking my Halloween party plans :smith: ), I can finally plow through FF5 and finish it. One thing that strikes me is how much FF:D did to rip off FFV, like the whole two worlds concept is just plot filler to hide the fact that you kind of have the same game. You have the world which is ripped in two and then rejoined, an evil mage who is trying to control the power of THE VOID, and the plucky heroes trying to save the crystals only to see them shatter (but gain control of their powers in the process).

I'm playing the iOS version and I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't tweak the game at all - none of the debuffs seem to work and some of the classes like the Samurai seem completely superfluous. Also I think I maybe have gone overzealous with the grinding - I haven't jumped into the void yet but I've already gotten Monk, Thief, Blue Mage, and Black Mage mastered on everybody and my Freelancers and Mimes are all walking murder machines. I'm considering throwing everybody back into a regular class just so the game stays a bit challenging, because right now I can auto-battle my way through any boss.

How is the post-game dungeon? Hopefully the difficulty scales up because I'm pretty sure I've broken the regular game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

1st AD posted:

I'm playing the iOS version and I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't tweak the game at all - none of the debuffs seem to work and some of the classes like the Samurai seem completely superfluous. Also I think I maybe have gone overzealous with the grinding - I haven't jumped into the void yet but I've already gotten Monk, Thief, Blue Mage, and Black Mage mastered on everybody and my Freelancers and Mimes are all walking murder machines. I'm considering throwing everybody back into a regular class just so the game stays a bit challenging, because right now I can auto-battle my way through any boss.

How is the post-game dungeon? Hopefully the difficulty scales up because I'm pretty sure I've broken the regular game.
Samurai is awesome man. That coin throw stuff is broken, they can dodge physical attacks without a shield, their instant death move can be really useful sometimes, and they can equip good armor and weapons. That said yeah if you're at the point of the game where you're already making people into Freelancers it's gonna seem a bit useless.

The post game dungeon expects you to break the game then punishes you for doing it. Having Monk, Thief and Summoner maxed for the Freelancer stat boosts is a requirement, and you know the tricks like Dual Wielding swords then using Rapid Fire for 8 attacks? There are bosses that will straight up make you miss all 8 times if you do it then counter back. The final boss just randomly turns invincible with no warning and you have to guess when he's vulnerable and attack. It's way more than a step up in difficulty.

I never got through it honestly, but I have a save ready to go so I can always give it a try. The only post-game stuff I did all the way in the remakes was FF1, although FF5 is perfect for that kind of challenge.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The post game dungeon expects you to break the game then punishes you for doing it. Having Monk, Thief and Summoner maxed for the Freelancer stat boosts is a requirement, and you know the tricks like Dual Wielding swords then using Rapid Fire for 8 attacks? There are bosses that will straight up make you miss all 8 times if you do it then counter back. The final boss just randomly turns invincible with no warning and you have to guess when he's vulnerable and attack. It's way more than a step up in difficulty.

This sounds like the opposite of fun, good lord. I mean it's one thing to ratchet up the difficulty and since there's not a lot to the game system other than inputting commands there's probably not a good way to make the game legitimately challenging, but still.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Apropos of nothing, FFXIII:LR Catwalk time:
The majority of these have been seen in the thread before, I believe, but whatever:

Firstly, from the Bizzare Proportions range:

The, Hey, Remember the Much Better FF Games? set:

From the Giraffe-neck Samurai collection:

And finally:

:frogc00l:

These proportions really creeped me out, but I had to stop and wonder if Lightning was always modeled to look that off. Judging by the looks of things, she's always had either a too-large head or a too-small body, but it just becomes more obvious when she's not covered in silhouette-changing, eye-distracting clothes. I feel a lot of the girls in FFXIII are like that, it's just clearly dissonant when a character has a fairly serious and not childlike face the way Lightning does. It's the uncanny valley effect, the model is just barely realistic enough that the stylized proportions come off looking disturbing.

This is definitely a case in favor of starting with more realistic body proportions first then applying stylized designs after.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not even that. Look at the difference in proportions between these two:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

It's not even that. Look at the difference in proportions between these two:

poo poo like that is why I think that those are just lovely screenshots. I want to see the stuff in game before I make any judgments.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

1st AD posted:

This sounds like the opposite of fun, good lord. I mean it's one thing to ratchet up the difficulty and since there's not a lot to the game system other than inputting commands there's probably not a good way to make the game legitimately challenging, but still.

Well the thing is they specifically counter tactics they deem "cheap". The 8 attacks a turn thing is still how you will clear the random encounters, but they want you to take advantage of everything else the battle system could offer on certain bosses. In the base FF5 game you can actually beat Omega Weapon in one turn using this tactic, the postgame dungeon is really meant for people that have done stuff like that and want the game to push back.

The final boss being invincible thing - what you're meant to do is sort of scout out your attacks to see if he's vulnerable, then unload everything you can when he is. Except he wrecks your party while you wait. It really is the absolute toughest thing in the game, now that I've looked it up it turns out this is actually optional even for the postgame, so you can pretend this fight doesn't exist and still beat the whole thing.

Caves of Narshe's walkthrough is easily the best FF5 related thing I have seen and he covers the post-game as well:

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/walkthrough.php?chapter=4-1

If you want an idea of what the postgame team looks like:

quote:

Mighty Guard is a must, Hastega is a must, Golem and Carbuncle are a must. Must you have these things? Yes, you must.

As far as abilities go, things are more difficult. Having Monk/Thief/Oracle mastered for all four will help everybody survive hits like a champ

A good strategy would be to have a single dual Knightsword Freelancer with !Rapid Fire and !Spellblade, a single dual Katana Freelancer with !Blue, !Combine or !Mix (take your pick) and two Mimes with !Dualcast and two magic spellcasters of your choice. Stick a HelmetRibbon on the Freelancers, HelmetGold Hairpins on your Mimics. You'll get four turns before the enemy even acts; very few enemies can withstand a focused !Rapid Fire, Zantetsuken or dual Syldra (whatever applies).

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Don't listen to their lies, the only thing you really need to clear the Sealed Temple is !Mix.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ProfessorProf posted:

Don't listen to their lies, the only thing you really need to clear the Sealed Temple is !Mix.

I did see that !Mix is enough to beat the super optional boss I talked about earlier that goes invincible randomly.

Spoiler: It's Shinryu again

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

On a related note, take a look at the Goldsmith AF from XIV. It's the most Amano design they've come up with in years, and it's just fantastic.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fungah! posted:

On a related note, take a look at the Goldsmith AF from XIV. It's the most Amano design they've come up with in years, and it's just fantastic.

I don't think much of the body part of the design, but that hat/turban thing is absolutely superb.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
FFV's bonus dungeon's battles were fun but I recall the actual area design with its huge swathes of nothingness being the epitome of :effort:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a reason why Square never revisited The Spirits Within for a game adaptation? I mean, aside from the fact that it was a bomb.

I just watched it and while the characters are nothing more than plot exposition machines, some of the design elements are really loving cool and are the spiritual ancestors to something like Mass Effect. The plot itself wasn't bad either, just full of characters I didn't have any connection with (so par for the course for modern Square games :v: ). I would've played a game like that instead of FF13.

It's really unfortunate that Alec Baldwin was doing his pre-Jack Donaghy voice, because it would've fit his character a lot better. Actually just make that character Jack Donaghy, game will sell millions of copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1st AD posted:

Is there a reason why Square never revisited The Spirits Within for a game adaptation? I mean, aside from the fact that it was a bomb.
Aside from the reason they never revisited it, then?

Unless you think someone should get on a game adaptation of The 13th Warrior, doing a game adaptation of something that was a titanic failure makes no sense. Let me put it this way: adjusted for inflation, Spirits Within was the 4th largest commercial failure in movie history. It lost more money than either of us will probably ever see in our lives. Not to mention the loss of time and man hours that could have been writing, developing CG for, and voice-acting a game.