Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Where'd you find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah google's not helping out here.

V
oh right, Hox. To /a/ then!

e2: Oh god it's beautiful, Canute, savior of the viking hordes, and Lucifer-In-Training

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 27, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The scanlator, Hox, posts his chapters on 4chan's anime/manga board before he uploads them elsewhere (he doesn't post them on his blog anymore because Kodansha is taking down his links). I'm sure it'll pop up in the usual places soon enough.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

AnonSpore posted:

The scanlator, Hox, posts his chapters on 4chan's anime/manga board before he uploads them elsewhere (he doesn't post them on his blog anymore because Kodansha is taking down his links). I'm sure it'll pop up in the usual places soon enough.

Here it is. Oh dear. I kinda can where Canute's coming from. If nature of human, created by God, is to be divided, to fight, the way to forge peace is through force against God's plan. Little people trampled along the way be damned. The way of the king indeed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh wow! That was a really drat good chapter! Canute finally did it! He commanded the tide to stop! Ever since it was revealed that lady-like boy was Canute, I've been waiting for him to command the tide to stop. And they even got the original meaning more or less correct too! (I've usually heard Canute stopping the waves as a sign of his delusion, but it was always about the powerlessness of kings.)

And the context gave that scene all the weight I could hope for after waiting for it for so long. He's using it to emphasize how impossible and absurd it is to create a utopia in loving medieval Europe. At least it's utterly impossible unless you totally overthrow the natural order. He talks about God's plan, but practically speaking it's more like human nature he's opposing. So he justifies the need for incredible strength, and incredible sacrifice.

At first I was wondering what Einar was even planning on doing there... and I guess he probably wouldn't be able to answer that himself, but I love that he got so many good passionate points in. I really liked how angry he got when he heard Canute was saving the Vikings. As if it was just a coincidence that he needed those Vikings to do anything.

I really wonder what Thorfinn's planning on saying. So far this conversation has been pretty drat magnificent. A fitting climactic battle to a manga with so much over the top violence: just words.

Also, is this the first time we hear Thorfinn called Karlsefni? I guess that removes all doubt that he's based on that historical figure, even if the dates don't quite match up with Canute's reign.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

e: Someone already posted a link, I removed mine. My bad.

Really good chapter though, I especially liked the scene where he ordered the tides to stop, although I didn't realize it was based on a real event until I read Eiba's post. (which just makes it better.)

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 27, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eiba posted:

Oh wow! That was a really drat good chapter! Canute finally did it! He commanded the tide to stop! Ever since it was revealed that lady-like boy was Canute, I've been waiting for him to command the tide to stop. And they even got the original meaning more or less correct too! (I've usually heard Canute stopping the waves as a sign of his delusion, but it was always about the powerlessness of kings.)

And the context gave that scene all the weight I could hope for after waiting for it for so long. He's using it to emphasize how impossible and absurd it is to create a utopia in loving medieval Europe. At least it's utterly impossible unless you totally overthrow the natural order. He talks about God's plan, but practically speaking it's more like human nature he's opposing. So he justifies the need for incredible strength, and incredible sacrifice.

Well, it might give the same "kings are powerless next to God" moral, but in the original story...

quote:

When King Cnut had reigned for twenty years, he died at Shaftesbury and was buried in the ancient monastery at Winchester. About the power of this king a little should be stated. For no English king ever had such wide-ranging authority. For he was at once the lord of all Denmark, of all England, of all Norway, and also of Scotland.

Indeed, apart from a number of wars in which he shone greatly, he conducted himself gracefully and magnificently in three matters:

The first is, that he married his daughter to the Roman Emperor with unutterable splendor.

The second, that going to Rome he arranged a reduction by a half in toll dues along the road that leads though Gaul to Rome.

The third, that with the greatest vigor he commanded that his chair should be set on the shore, when the tide began to rise. And then he spoke to the rising sea saying “You are part of my dominion, and the ground that I am seated upon is mine, nor has anyone disobeyed my orders with impunity. Therefore, I order you not to rise onto my land, nor to wet the clothes or body of your Lord”. But the sea carried on rising as usual without any reverence for his person, and soaked his feet and legs. Then he moving away said: “All the inhabitants of the world should know that the power of kings is vain and trivial, and that none is worthy the name of king but He whose command the heaven, earth and sea obey by eternal laws”. Therefore King Cnut never afterwards placed the crown on his head, but above a picture of the Lord nailed to the cross, turning it forever into a means to praise God, the great king. By whose mercy may the soul of King Cnut enjoy peace.

...the lesson Canute draws is one of humility and submission to God. Yukimura's Canute seems to be taking the exact opposite line: war against heaven.

It's honestly a masterful use of a historical event in a work of fiction, being both (almost entirely) faithful to the original event and fully integrated and thematically powerful in the narrative.

Just, perfect storytelling. Yukimura :allears:

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Eiba posted:

Also, is this the first time we hear Thorfinn called Karlsefni? I guess that removes all doubt that he's based on that historical figure, even if the dates don't quite match up with Canute's reign.

This isn't the first time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man, looking at this reminds me how much I miss Askeladd. He was such an rear end in a top hat, it was great.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

New Cesare!

This whole volume has been some of the best manga I've ever read.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
As much as I generally enjoy the writing and everything pages like that big spread of Dante in the field are a huge reason why I love this series.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Arslan chapter 4 is out.http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Arslan-Senki-ARAKAWA-Hiromu/004?id=177566

Looks like they are meeting a super ranger. From his looks he will get along great with Arslan. Just like Jamie and Joffrey in GoT.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Vinland chapter is out, Hox threw it up on /a/ as usual.

"Next time, Thorfinn finally gets on the loving boat." I love you too Hox.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Vinland Saga still fantastic, if somewhat plodding.
Thorfinn continues to own.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/202744/vinland-saga_ch98_by_4chan
Up on Batoto.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've come to this negotiation with you to say, "Dude. I mean, really?" Those are my terms.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The last page is pure gold.

"Next time: Thorfinn finally gets on a loving boat"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That chapter is amazing. God this arc has been great, even with the low amounts of action. Thorfinn has some badass pacifism. Badassifism.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Volume posted:

The last page is pure gold.

"Next time: Thorfinn finally gets on a loving boat"
And he'll set sail for Elf Island.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Daler Mehndi posted:

And he'll set sail for Elf Island.

I want to read that manga.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

That chapter is amazing. God this arc has been great, even with the low amounts of action. Thorfinn has some badass pacifism. Badassifism.
Honestly, in large part because of the low amounts of action.

I've always been kind of "meh" on over-the-top super violence, but that backdrop is what makes this arc so beautiful. Like, okay, I've seen a Viking punch out a horse and eviscerate men... but that didn't compare at all to awe I felt at slaves taking stumps out of a field- working hard to make something.

I had no idea how this confrontation with Canute was going to go, but I'm 100% satisfied.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I recently read Green Blood which is a manga featuring a hitman in 5 points (notorious mid19th century slum in NYC), who eventually goes west to track down and kill his evil father.

I liked it, are there another manga's set in the American West I should know about?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hmm. There's Peacemaker, but as far as I can tell it's set in a pseudo-western setting instead of the actual American west. It is all about gunslingers though.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
There's Steel Ball Run, a dramedy/thriller about a transcontinental horse race across 1890's USA. It's Cannonball Run meets Da Vinci Code meets Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (because it's part of that series).

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Charlz Guybon posted:

I liked it, are there another manga's set in the American West I should know about?

There was a short, cancelled manga called Me and the Devil Blues that told a fictionalized story about the life and times of legendary bluesman Robert Johnson. Guy sells his soul for the devil in exchange for amazing blues playing skills and gets into some crazy poo poo.

Unfortunately it got cancelled four volumes in and nowadays the author is making Prison high school, which is probably not the kind of thing you're looking for.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What happened to Thorfinn's boat? The one Aleskadd took after killing Thorfinn's father? I can't seem to remember where it got left behind or something? Thorkell defending London was the last time Aleskadd was in a boat.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

That was an amazing chapter, I was pretty much laughing along with Cnut. Dammit Thorfinn. :allears:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I recently read Green Blood which is a manga featuring a hitman in 5 points (notorious mid19th century slum in NYC), who eventually goes west to track down and kill his evil father.

There is Blaster Knuckle, which is pretty short and basically Django Unleashed before Django Unleashed (and also if Django killed KKK Vampires with his shotgun gauntlets).

coathat
May 21, 2007

You guys are reading Kingdom right? Because it owns and a new batch of chapters just came out.
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kingdom-r642

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I love that Shin is generally getting bigger and stronger-looking as the manga progresses, but I really wish the author would learn proper muscle anatomy :madmax:

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Just finished binging the last 9 or so Vinland chapters. I've been reading Vinland Saga for five years now, and without knowledge of historical events, there's absolutely no way I could have ever anticipated the story developing as it has. It's even more powerful when you don't have to wait a month between installments.

Over 97 chapters we see a violence-driven wild child, barely above an animal, become incredibly devoted to peace. Not just spouting the philosophy, but living by it. The frightened, effeminate Canute becomes a self-made godking, half insane but totally lucid and totally scary. And a little sad, too.

I sort of can't believe how impressed I am by the execution. It's really REALLY good.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

coathat posted:

You guys are reading Kingdom right? Because it owns and a new batch of chapters just came out.

That's a long story to start from the beginning. Sell me on it.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's an odd duck. It's part shonen, but with blood and gore and *some* sex and nudity. So the shonen background feels a bit odd when you can see death and carnage all over. Battles are done on a personal one-on-one level and also on 10 thousand vs 10 thousand. The shonen burning spirit has a lot of value here but as the series grows more into armies vs armies, strategy seems to be more important than individual might. It's also full of badass old men.

It's full of fun characters, politics, strategy and backstabbing. Most characters are not black and white, good and evil kinda trope. Only the protagonist and his crew are shown to be truly "good guys". The rest are either grey in morality, fighting for their own homeland or having their own ambitions. There's very few cartoonishly evil characters and they're not main characters. So it's kinda like Game of Thrones in that respect. It's less "realistic" than, say, Historie or Vinland Saga and more like Dynasty Warriors (well, not as ridiculous). And the battles are frigging epic.

It starts slow and reads more like the typical shonen fare but once Shin got into the army, things got epic goddamn fast.

Frankly, it's the only series I've been :f5:ing every day.

Don Cojones
Jul 11, 2001

wid posted:

Frankly, it's the only series I've been :f5:ing every day.

I find myself doing the same thing. :bang:
I haven't seen the series mentioned here too often, it is a great read.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's about a peasant boy whose goal is to become the greatest general in an era where such things were the privilege of the nobility. It's based on the historical rise of the Qin dynasty, so while you know how things ultimately end all the fun is watching the characters bust rear end to overcome all odds and break a centuries old stalemate.

It's really an amazing shounen. I dropped Bleach at around chapter 250 and I only keep up with Naruto because I'm already too committed and I need to see how it ends. For all the craze about the big three, I put this manga solidly above those two and only slightly behind One Piece. The action is insane, and even with taking liberties for over the top shounen tropes it still roots itself in the way warfare was conducted in that era. It's refreshing to see a Japanese take on the other Warring States era. I seriously don't understand why more people don't talk about it.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Tiger Shark posted:

For all the craze about the big three, I put this manga solidly above those two and only slightly behind One Piece.

I would've done the same if by One Piece you meant One Piece prior to Mermaid Island. Now Kingdom is at the very top of my manga list. The one thing One Piece does wrong, which is introducing new characters only for them to not do anything much, Kingdom does right. Most likely because the series has no qualms about killing off characters. That's why I said it resembles Game of Thrones in that regard. Characters are not there just to be new and quirky. They serve a purpose in the short and long run.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I decided to give it a chance and it's pretty great so far, though Sei doesn't really interest me at all. There's just something Sasuke-y, melodramatic (the dumb sense of pain stuff), and unappealing about him compared to the awesome central protagonist (who reminds me of a young Guts from Berserk in a way), so I'm hoping the little lame flashback into the king's past I'm reading right now is over soon.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pentyne posted:

I'm amazed that the nomadic tribe didn't realize that charging into the town with all their warriors while the other shady militarized tribe sitting on the hills with artillery and way more armed men would be a bad idea.

I mean the entire point of the attack is them going back on their deal to marry off Amira, abducting her by force from her husband, so she can be traded off to another tribe (who's groom has beaten 2 of his brides to death but cultural relativity blah blah blah) to gain some grazing fields or livestock. Does the idea that another clan would betray them when its advantageous not ever come up in the tribal council meetings or whatever?

It's not the betrayal that's surprising, it's how they went about it that is.

One would expect a smooth operator to use them as canon fodder in a couple of battles to whittle down their numbers and then attack their camp while they're drunk or sleeping, or have an other force attack their village while the men are away.

What you don't expect is for them to turn on 1/3 of their raiding party while already engaged with another hostile force. That's just tactically retarded. It introduces much more uncertainty and chaos into the operation and will cause them more, perhaps many more casualties than the options laid out above. So why do it?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 30, 2013

wid
Sep 7, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I decided to give it a chance and it's pretty great so far, though Sei doesn't really interest me at all. There's just something Sasuke-y, melodramatic (the dumb sense of pain stuff), and unappealing about him compared to the awesome central protagonist (who reminds me of a young Guts from Berserk in a way), so I'm hoping the little lame flashback into the king's past I'm reading right now is over soon.

Considering all the poo poo historical Sei did after he got the throne (Qin Shi Huang is infamous for mass murders), it might get more interesting. I'd be surprise if Sei doesn't gradually turn into the antagonist as the series progress, especially since Shin is propped up as the idealistic shonen good guy. Yea, it's kinda like Berserk in that way.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

coathat posted:

Thanks a ton for letting me know this exists because its amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally caught up to Kingdom, loving it, though I find Renpa to be pretty overrated (probably the second lamest enemy next to Mr. "I belong in another more over the top, far less subtle action series with very poorly written characters" Houken). He got talked out of a battle. He's one of the rare characters in Kingdom to get defeated by Naruto-style friendship no jutsu. Usually Kingdom is too cutthroat and realistic and merciless for that sort of silly business.
Think back on all the opponents and generals they faced, Renpa is the only "Great General" to be argued out of a battle. Can you imagine that in any other instance? When an enemy general is able to convince you to give up using his words, you are not a very good general. Actually, the only opponents we actually for sure see Renpa beating are Young Gaku Jou (clearly not much of a feat) and some fellow Zhao General (who knows where that guy ranks among foreign generals).

It's funny because at least his poor puppet figurehead general (can't remember his name) died with some semblance of honor. He left the poor puppet behind to be executed because he got argued out of a battle, meanwhile the puppet general dies defiantly refusing to beg for his life before Kanki.
If you think about it, all of his aura and legends (which are all just him telling stories about that one time a Qin Great General defeated him) and charging around aside, it feels like the real talent to Renpa's faction was mostly Rinko. Once Rinko died, Renpa surrendered even when Kaishibou arrived on time to fulfill Rinko's role in the plan to kill Gaku Jou (one of my favorite generals now honestly, I love how in his earlier appearances his commanding style just appears to be muttering vague pleasantries to his officers and retiring for the night).
I mean, Rinko did pretty much take 99% of the Qin generals if I remember right. Renpa couldn't even beat Santa General in a duel to the death because he didn't have enough "burning emotions" I guess.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 1, 2013